PDA

View Full Version : Ira Brown

Zagdawg
03-10-2007, 04:39 PM
This may have been posted already--but it is worth a 2nd look--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N7aVtZb6fo

meadgrad02
03-10-2007, 06:14 PM
wow, i hadn't seen that yet. that is pretty dang impressive. i didn't know he was that much of a high-flyer. i'm getting excited.

sanfranzagsguy20
03-10-2007, 06:39 PM
been posted several times...doesnt get old though...this kid is the wildcard/x-factor of our recruiting class next year...if he can bring kuso-esque contributions to next year's team we'll be in great shape

wazZag
03-10-2007, 07:29 PM
I never linked to watch it until this, that is scary.

Nevtelen
03-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Maybe not the baddest man in the whole damn town, but he did get 17 pts and 16 boards in the NJCAA D-II tourney ths past Sat while his team was playing for 5th place against the defending nat'l champs. Sounds like he had foul trouble, too, unfortunatly, or it could have been an even bigger game I imagine.

Here's the link: http://www.njcaa.org/sports.cfm?menu=15&sid=4&cid=5760&divid=1&gender=m&slid=2

Edit: Also apparently selected to the all-tourney team! Nice going Ira!

Nevtelen
03-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Oh, and I meant to add this (http://www.commercial-news.com/sports/local_story_080074835.html), too: I don't remember seeing it, but it's a little more about how Ira ended up changing sports and going to Phoenix College and then GU. Kinda neat.

LongIslandZagFan
03-29-2007, 06:39 AM
Very good read. Thanks for posting it.

DenDiegoZag
03-29-2007, 07:37 AM
It is nice to see that he is really taking charge of his career and life. I think that he probably places a little more value on this opportunity given that he has slugged it out in the Minors. I am excited for the work ethic.

EL MUSTACIO
03-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Bad, bad, ira brown, ruling the basketball court
No one can stop him, even though he might be a little short (er than foster,
Coming from JuCo, with experience and might
Wait till next year GU will put up a fight....
Ok Im done. I feel like a loser but thas ok..

BobZag
03-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Badder than ol' King Kong,
Meaner than a junkyard dog.

:)

UberZagFan
03-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Just another example of how tough it is to play baseball but anyone with height can make it on the hardwood.

;)

CDC84
03-29-2007, 10:47 AM

Bocco
03-29-2007, 04:29 PM
CDC I hope in Ira's two years at GU we get to see a lot of dunks like that one - right over the top on the defender...thanks for reposting the link, I enjoy it more everytime I see it.

TrueLiz
03-30-2007, 04:29 PM
I had not seen the dunk before, but hadn't realized that it was him. The article was great too. I love learning more about the incoming players.

CDC84
04-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Ira, for me, is one of the most intriguing newcomers coming into the program that I can remember. It goes beyond the fact that he was offered a schoolie despite GU being 1 over the limit at the time, and the fact that he's 24 YOA or whatever. It also has to do with him possessing such an odd combination of skills, bulk, versatility and extreme athleticism for a 6-5 guy. I have to believe he is really tough to guard.

Any ideas for nicknames?

http://www.pc.maricopa.edu/athletic.php?page=2210&subpage=2936&mod=news&newsID=416078

Ira Brown earns NJCAA Div. II 1st Team All-American honors. Ira was selected Conference Player of the Week 2 times this year by averaging 16.1 points and 8.9 rebounds this season. Ira recorded 17 double-doubles this season for the Bears. Ira shot 56.9% FG and 40% 3FG. Brown also recorded 80 assists (2.2 per game), 53 block shots (1.5 per game), and 62 steals (1.7 per game) on the year. Additionally, Ira was named to the ACCAC 1st Team, NJCAA Div. II Region 1 1st Team, and the NJCAA Div. II National Tournament All Tournament Team. As a freshman, Brown was named 2nd Team All-American, while also being named to the ACCAC 1st Team and the NJCAA Region 1 First Team. He will play basketball next year for Gonzaga University.

ZagPants
04-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Any ideas for nicknames?

Caboose

brasszag
04-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Bad Bad Ira Brown... baddest man in ol' Spoke-town.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-16-2007, 07:06 PM
...it also has to do with him possessing such an odd combination of skills, bulk, versatility and extreme athleticism for a 6-5 guy. I have to believe he is really tough to guard.

Any ideas for nicknames?

http://www.pc.maricopa.edu/athletic.php?page=2210&subpage=2936&mod=news&newsID=416078

I-Flex

CDC84
04-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Iraser

thespywhozaggedme
04-16-2007, 07:52 PM
CD,
As per Phoenix College's own website IB is 6'4, not 6'5. I readily admit that I'm being anal about this but I feel that a lot of people may intentionally be embellishing his height in order to justify their claims that he can play pf at GU. I'm curious as to what he can do. IB, more than any other recruit is truely the great unknown.

MedZag
04-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Iraser

love it

lothar98zag
04-16-2007, 08:31 PM
I think it's a requirement that all Ira threads must have this video posted, so here it is...

ZagNative
04-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Some good nicknames offered up here. We'll see what sticks.

This incoming freshman squad is just amazing. I sure hope the year unfolds for them in a ton of good times and achievement. 199 days until November 1, folks. how will we survive the summer without getting a glimpse of these guys?

It would sure be neat if they could form a team for Hoopfest, maybe the four freshman and Theo. What would we name their squad?

Wolkster
04-16-2007, 08:43 PM
>It would sure be neat if they could form a team for Hoopfest, maybe the four freshman and Theo.

Ira will come to GU as a junior as he played two years at a junior college.

ZagNative
04-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Yup. I spaced. I'd still like to see the newcomers on a team at Hoopfest. I wonder what the chances are.

RebornZag
04-16-2007, 08:46 PM
The good news about our 07/08 recruits just keep on a rollin in...
First it was Stephan Gray....POY in Washington. Then it was Robert Sacre All Canadian team & and best Canadian player since Steve Nash. Then the news rolled in about Dustin Daye, 1st team All California, which is definately a breeding ground for basketball players. And finally, Ira Brown First Team All American/Juco...Yes Division II. All 4 of these guys are coming to GU with The Top of The Class Awards, each in his own way. I'm warning ya all. There's some serious talent headed for the hard wood floors at K2. Post a warning sign!!!
NOW!!!!

You only need to know one thing, not only about Ira Brown but about all 4 of these guys....They don't want to sit on the bench and get slivers. Ira Brown will immediately join the gladiators from last year...Kuso and Pendo. He lives by the philosophy of "Take no prisoners." You may not know him now but you will be in awe by December and so will the basketball world.

skan72
04-16-2007, 08:59 PM
With his size and bulk he resembles Paul Harris at Syracuse. Short, stocky, athletic as all-get-out, not really a perimeter player, kind of a slasher/use your muscle type.

wuvillezag4
04-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Iraplaceable

I feel this really entails everything he'll bring to this program

Rubbadub
04-17-2007, 06:19 AM
Irana Jumpoveru

BBskorer
04-17-2007, 06:46 AM
After seeing that YouTube throwdown, I'd have to go with "I-hops".

(ok, covering my ears now so I don't hear the gong)

wazZag
04-17-2007, 07:23 AM
Then the news rolled in about Dustin Daye:confused:

CDC84
04-17-2007, 08:43 AM
http://www.pc.maricopa.edu/athletic.php?page=2210&subpage=2936&mod=roster

He's listed as 6-5 right here. And here:

http://www.pc.maricopa.edu/athletic.php?page=2210&subpage=2936&mod=roster&rostID=67912

But yes, it could be embellished for all I know. I also know that rosters can be wrong in the opposite way:

http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/gonz-m-baskbl-mtt.html

Steven Gray is not 190 pounds. He has to be just over 200.

BTW…. Ira is not embellishing his height on that web site so that he can fool GU’s staff into believing that he can play power forward. The coaches have seen him play multiple times, and he visited Gonzaga. They know what his true height is. But whether he is 6-4 or 6-5, it doesn't matter. The staff views Ira as a PJ Tucker clone…a mix between a small forward and a 4 man, depending on the matchups. PJ Tucker was essentially an undersized 4 man, who, BTW, was not his listed height. He was 6-6 at best. The difference with Ira is that he much more athletic than Tucker. It remains to be seen if he's anywhere near as effective as Tucker though.

You may also recall that Hassan Adams, who is about the same height as Ira, played PF for two years at Arizona. There are lots of examples of this in D-1 college basketball. When you are that athletic - and Ira might be the most athletic player to ever play at GU - the ability to take on slow, methodical 6-8 PF types is not unreasonable. Again, it depends on the matchups. If the opponent is playing a 6-10, athletic PF, Ira might have to play more at the 3 in that game.

We'll see.

BobZag
04-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Little red flags--

If so dominant, why only two POW's honors?

While 16 pts, 8 rbs is nice, it hardly has me oohing and ahhing.

This is not Barton CC in the vaunted Jayhawk Conference (Batista), or Midland (Ivory Clark), or Northeastern CO (Skinner), it is a Juco D2 in a league I had never heard of.

Just saying........

ZagNative
04-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Whoa! BZ weighs in with some cautionary notes. All hands on deck, general alarm.

So, does this mean we'll have to wait to actually see these guys play before we crown them G.R.C.O.A.T.?

CDC84
04-17-2007, 10:08 AM
As I said, Ira is awfully intriguing.....I am anxious to see him play in person.

brasszag
04-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Charles Barkley - listed at 6'6" closer to 6'4" as per his autobiography.

He turned out OK as a short PF/Center

skan72
04-17-2007, 01:07 PM
What a dunk. Did anyone see the game against USF this year where Raivio hit the half court shot at the buzzer to end the half, but what I really am referring to is at one point in the game Pargo took off from at least halfway out between the net and the FT line and he smashed it off the back rim, but dude flew up there. Anyone else remember this? He should be called Pargo-stick.

thespywhozaggedme
04-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Brass,
Photo of Barkley standing a legit 6'8. His lack of stature was intentionally embellished to enhance his legend. Back to Brown, he really is the great unknown.

http://www.mugshots.com/Sport/Charles+Barkley.htm

skan72
04-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Ha. If you go to google and search "Charles Barkley Mugshots" for images you get the other pic of that one where he is facing towards the camera and he is only 6'7 according to that one...he shrunk a whole inch? Hmmm odd...or maybe the mugshot background just sucks and Barkley is only around 6'4 to 6'6 like most people including Barkley say. If you want to use pictures:

http://www.halfcourt.info/A55B25/HalfCourt.nsf/jordanbarkley.jpg
Barkley standing next to Jordan (6'6) and he "looks" shorter than Jordan.

Kaduce
04-19-2007, 11:37 PM
Can't wait to see this guy play!

http://thekennel2.com/images/ira1.jpg

http://thekennel2.com/images/ira2.jpg

http://thekennel2.com/images/ira3.jpg

BroncoZAG615
04-20-2007, 12:28 AM
The man looks like an absolute monster. He is going to do some special things in the Kennel! Thanks for sharing, I needed a few more pictures of Ira. I think I have watched that video of him dunking a hundred times.

Zag79
04-20-2007, 12:45 AM
:D ira. i remember playing a little ball with him when he was here playing for the Indians. Thought he was in the wrong sport then.... lol.

ZagNative
04-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Brilliant photos! Who took them?

Is that ever an explosive looking character!!!

gozagswoohoo
04-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Wowie Mcgowie...I'd be willing to bet he could dunk better than me...

Dogtownkid
04-20-2007, 07:12 AM
One look at him and they'll all turn and run. Great pics!

CDC84
04-20-2007, 07:21 AM
They had better strengthen the backboards at K2.

In the words of Coach Few, "he dunks everything."

applezag
04-20-2007, 07:50 AM
He must work out. :)

gozagswoohoo
04-20-2007, 08:10 AM
I thought he was hyped up more than a 1 star, but was just lookin over at scout and they list him as just that. I know that alot of times that means nothin, since our ole' friend Ammo was what? A 2 or 3?

CDC84
04-20-2007, 08:23 AM
That star ranking is largely because Ira played for a small D-2 juco team. Very few analysts have seen him play. I bet you money that Dave Telep has never seen him. Nonetheless, you would think that these guys would've figured out by now that anyone who commits to Gonzaga, by definition, isn't a one star player.

Batista was a 3 star, BTW. And he played at the highest juco level there is, in arguably the best of all juco conferences.

hls97
04-20-2007, 08:39 AM
The other thing to remember is that he is old and was out of basketball for several years. The level of competition he was playing against in juco was really low. So, I think some skepticism about him is warranted -- I'm afraid people are getting a bit too excited about him at this point. I don't expect him to play all that much next year.

CDC84
04-20-2007, 08:57 AM
The only thing I can say folks is that the staff feels he's going to be an immediate impact player. I just can't see them signing him despite the Zags being 1 schoolie over the limit if he didn't have something legit to offer. That being said, I haven't seen him play whatsoever...it remains to be seen how much of an impact he will have once the bright lights come on. We just don't know. As I have said previously, this is why he "intrigues" me. I'm anxious to see him play.

BobZag
04-20-2007, 09:14 AM
:D ira. i remember playing a little ball with him when he was here playing for the Indians. Thought he was in the wrong sport then.... lol.

How many charges did you take, zag79? :lmao:

Nevtelen
04-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Scout rankings are really wacky, especially anything beyond the top 50 or so. Also, I think a 1 star is the cop-out rating - not indicitive that the player is bad, but rather that the Scout staff doesn't know enough to effectively rate him.

I really have no idea what to expect from Ira. Heck, who even knows what positions he's really going to play? If he gave us the equivalent to Kuso - a tough-minded, hard-working (but perhaps limited) role-player, then I'd be happy enough with him. I just hope that he has impact on both ends of the court (and with his numbers, I think there's a chance).

Kaduce
04-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Brilliant photos! Who took them?

Is that ever an explosive looking character!!!

They were on his myspace, thought I would share them with everyone.

BobZag
04-20-2007, 09:20 AM
He's no good. Should only be a 1/4 star.

Rubbadub
04-20-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm afraid people are getting a bit too excited about him at this point. I don't expect him to play all that much next year.

I'm afraid there are going to be roughly 4/5 guys out of these 13 that have the talent to make it at the d-1 level, but will have trouble getting into the rotation just bc of the number of great athletes on the team and the number of minutes to go around. The good part about this is that more than half of the players on GU's roster this year will come into the season without much claim to minutes other than the heart and hustle they will be showing to Few on the court...so they will likely all at least get a CHANCE to show they belong in the 9 to 10 man rotation during the first few games of the season.

Those early battles for significant off the bench time will be very interesting and very important, as to who will be staying around and who might just slip away after this year. Everyone should be able to agree that the odds are very high of there being one or more transfer after this year.

If you look at Memphis, and their strategy of subbing in players fairly often to keep the press active the entire game, they still were only able to get 9 players 10+ minutes a game (the same as GU). I think it's safe to say that most college b-ball players who consider themselves high d-1 athletes (which i'm sure most of the zags do) would be very discontented with less than 10 minutes a game next year. PMAC got 16.4 a game and he wasn't happy.

The upperclassmen probably have the best chances of sticking around on the rotation. They probably are the most urgent in wanting to get pt, and now. About Ira, I really think he is going to be one of the guys to earn minutes next year. He's already a junior and probably won't want to have to transfer again. I think Kuso will be much improved as well. He will really have to work to get that starter spot though.

brasszag
04-20-2007, 09:28 AM
He's no good. Should only be a 1/4 star.

Bummer. Is he good at toting gatorade and towels?

hls97
04-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Interesting point, though, about the sheer number of players that will be competing for playing time.

You have to figure that the following players will all play at least 25 minutes a game: Pargo, Bouldin, Heytvelt, Downs, and Pendo.

The following players, it seems, will get at least 10 minutes a game: Kuso and Davis.

That leaves the following players (assuming no redshirts) competing for the remaining floor time: Brown, Foster, LG, Daye, Gray, and Sacre.

Quite simply, it is a numbers game -- several of these players will not see much floor time. My guess: Brown, Foster, Gray and Sacre. I think LG and Daye will play a bit more.

scrooner
04-20-2007, 09:39 AM
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=33001370

This says he is 51. I knew he was a little older, but...:D

sonuvazag
04-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Five attaboys for that post, Rubbadub.
Five attaboys for hls97, too.

I like the insight.

Asotin
04-20-2007, 10:05 AM
On scout all 1 star means is that nobody from scout has yet evaluated him. If a player has been evaluated he is at least a 2 star.

MickMick
04-20-2007, 10:11 AM
You have to believe that Gray will be a red shirt. If not for the dire need of a strong low post player, Sacre would (and probably should) be red shirted.

There are different levels of squads in my opinion. There are the handful of elite schools that typically send sophmores/juniors to the NBA. At the next level are the teams that recruit well enough to red shirt (stockpile) good players to continuosly put a good team on the floor. I would put Gonzaga somewhere inbetween. When you send players like PMAC down the road, you have probably arrived. (What team in the WCC would not take him with open arms?)

I put Ira in that category. He may be a top WCC prospect, but he is completely off the radar of the teams pondering the likes of Jai Lucas or Patrick Patterson. And Gonzaga just may send him down the road (like PMAC) if the "experiment" does not pay off.

sittingon50
04-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Even the Gatorade & towel totin' positions are locked up for years to come. Do you know how many little Fews' & Rices' are running around?

D Hark 2003
04-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Who knows what will happen with Ira, i havent seen him play at all excluding the dunk highlight of his on youtube... but the more talent we have competing for playing time the better the guys will get when they practice against one another... it will only benefit the guys to have more competition around.

With that said, he is older and probably more mature than the average Junior in college and im not sure how tall and big he is but he looks like he could be another anthony reason type of player--an athletic wing that gets tip dunks and creates havoc.

brasszag
04-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Even the Gatorade & towel totin' positions are locked up for years to come. Do you know how many little Fews' & Rices' are running around?

I guess it's sweat-mop duty then... or maybe in the concessions area?

4EVERaZAG
04-20-2007, 10:29 AM
I am hoping that Ira will be a poor man's Vince Carter. He is going to posterize a lot of people next year.

Rubbadub
04-20-2007, 10:30 AM
He may be a top WCC prospect, but he is completely off the radar of the teams pondering the likes of Jai Lucas or Patrick Patterson. And Gonzaga just may send him down the road (like PMAC) if the "experiment" does not pay off.

Part of GU's success over the last decade has been the ability to find diamonds in the rough that also fit into a niche that the coaching staff had mapped out very well. With a little more work, will foster wont be just another project/experiment. He very well could be a heavy contributor to GU over the next 3 years bc the coaches saw something in him a year or two ago, something that just needed some GU level coaching to succeed. Unlike Will Foster though, the coaches grabbed Ira Brown out of a juco way down in Phoenix, away from their own backyard, when they didn't even have a scholorship available, bc they saw something more than just an experiment that they would probably need to "send down the road" in the future. I predict success for Ira, maybe not so much this year as it his first year in the system, but definitely next year.

Rubbadub
04-20-2007, 10:38 AM
PS- just thought this was fitting to my post from a little while ago. Here is his myspace quote, per the link given in another thread: "Dont ever DOUBT anyone... Everything is possible with Hard work and DEDICATION..."

SWZag
04-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Stars and rankings. Who needs 'em? I love the players flying under the radar anyway! The pics in the other Ira thread...man, that's awesome. Can't wait! 1 star or 4, the guy is going to be an impact to next years team!

gupfarr
04-20-2007, 11:14 AM
not quite as clear of a picture as the ira ones but you get the idea.

:D

Rubbadub
04-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Gupfarr, I dont know who that is, it's not Rob though

CDC84
04-20-2007, 11:18 AM
You have to believe that Gray will be a red shirt. If not for the dire need of a strong low post player, Sacre would (and probably should) be red shirted.

Gray is not going to be redshirted. He wasn't going to be prior to PMAC's departure either.

gupfarr
04-20-2007, 11:20 AM
it was on his myspace

hondo
04-20-2007, 11:23 AM
I thought he was hyped up more than a 1 star, but was just lookin over at scout and they list him as just that. I know that alot of times that means nothin, since our ole' friend Ammo was what? A 2 or 3?
Key phrase here is " I know that alot of times that means nothin,"
Maybe less than nothin.

I would trust our coaches much more than the web gurus. How many stars were Stockton, Casey, Hendrix etc.?

Rubbadub
04-20-2007, 11:24 AM
too few guards for Gray to redshirt. He should be getting at least 15 min a game I think.

Rubbadub
04-20-2007, 11:28 AM
It looks alot like Theo. Its definitely not Rob though. Rob's skin tone is much lighter than that.

EL MUSTACIO
04-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Ira looks like a friggin legit nike advertisement

Rubbadub
04-20-2007, 11:40 AM
He looks and plays like 5 or 6 inch taller version of Nate Robinson

Zagpower
04-20-2007, 12:18 PM
We are all assuming that all the players are 100% healthy and will continue to be so throughout the season. History says that this is unlikely.

CDC84
04-20-2007, 12:34 PM
The bottom line is that I'll take the depth. It's a nice problem to have.

Zag79
04-20-2007, 01:00 PM
funny BZ.. ;) he is one of the most physical guys you will ever see, especially in his size frame. i cant wait to see him in a uni.

zagscardsfan4
04-20-2007, 01:20 PM
They had better strengthen the backboards at K2.

In the words of Coach Few, "he dunks everything."

Along with the backboards they should strengthen the student section stands because with dunks like that video hes going to send the students in an absolute frenzy

kylasdad
04-20-2007, 02:14 PM
I just heard from Ira's agent, he was givin his scolly to shoot the t shirt cannon.

jigga5
04-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Can someone tell me how old ira is? and how long he was out of the game for? thanks

hls97
04-20-2007, 03:07 PM
He graduated high school in 2001 -- so, he must be about 24 or so. He was playing minor league baseball until about 2 years ago.

MickMick
04-20-2007, 08:20 PM
too few guards for Gray to redshirt. He should be getting at least 15 min a game I think.

Makes you wonder why PMAC was sent packing. They spent all the scholarships on big men...and not enough guards?

The typical scenario would play out like this: PMAC still with team for senior campaign (so much coaching invested), and Gray redshirts. Someone explain what happened? A shortage of guards with PMAC down the road? Where is the foresight?

brasszag
04-20-2007, 08:27 PM
This may sound strange, but why is everyone assuming PMAC himself didn't initiate his early departure - and Few recruited to replace him knowing PMAC wouldn't be around in 07/08?

That would explain the limited minutes for PMAC this year better than anything I can think of.

I know nothing "inside" about this, but I can't imagine Few recruiting "over" someone. I simply can't see him as being that cut-throat given his history.

Zagster
04-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Probably the only concern with the talent on next year team is at point guard. We only really have 2 next year, Matt and Pargo. If one get hurt or in foul trouble the team is thin at that position. Other than point guard, the team is loaded at every position. The point guard is not a position you want to be thin. If it was only 5-10 minutes, Pmac would have been a good asset.

kylasdad
04-21-2007, 01:45 PM
A lot of teams would love to only have 2 point guards like Bouldin/Pargo. 2 very good players with different styles of play. Unless there is an injury, we should be just fine. I just don't think Few and Co. "sent P-mac" packing.

jscrk
04-21-2007, 03:18 PM
I too am a PMAC fan and sorry to see him leave; it appears that PMAC is being replaced by Ira Brown. Therefore, can you tell us if GU is a better team with Ira Brown as a player or with PMAC as a player.

RebornZag
04-21-2007, 03:39 PM
jscrk wrote: "Therefore, can you tell us if GU is a better team with Ira Brown as a player or with PMAC as a player."

Obviously it's Ira. And the reason that I think so is that in the scheme of things next year PMAC would have to be a #2 guard. I think the PG duties will be taken up by Pargo and Matt (which we've talked a lot about here). Bouldin, Gray and Possibly Daye will be competing for the #2 guard spot. As I've said before, I think that after Bouldin, Gray and Daye are done there will be no minutes left for PMAC at the 2 guard. So we go to the #3 guard or small forward. This is most likely where Ira will play. Could PMAC play the #3 position? I doubt it. He's too short. So. Yes, Ira is more valuable then PMAC to the team. Ira can play minutes at both the 3 and 4 positions, and PMAC couldn't. So, therefore, when you're analyziing PMAC's ability to play for the Zags next year I think you'd have to ask a different question. Is the team better with Daye and Gray than they would be with PMAC. The answer must be yes.

Madcowz
04-29-2007, 09:56 PM
There's been a lot of speculation on where he will play and such so i just asked him myself (on myspace of all things) and he replied

"I will mostly be a 3 man on the wing, but i will go to say it depends on the Match up.. Because im so versitile im able to post up smaller guys as well. So it really depends on the defender. But i was told by Few and Rice i will be on the wing.."

this guy is really awesome any time i message him he gets right back to me and he's way cool about everything.. happy to answer stuffm it seems like he's really excited for big time college basketball

Nevtelen
04-29-2007, 10:16 PM
What!? You asked him? That's way too easy - we could have speculated and argued back and forth about this for at least another month! :)

Interesting... I would have thought we were pretty loaded at the 3 - Micah and Daye and probably some Pendo as back-up (along with Pendo maybe playing some 4 and 2). Not to mention LG...

Ira at the 3... interesting. He could definitely push around taller, thinner 3s like Diamon Simpson, but guys like that could also just shoot over him maybe. Against a 3-guard line-up like USF, he'd definitely be great on both ends. I also wonder if we'll see more posting-up from the 2 or 3 positions with Ira and Bouldin taking guys to the rack like we saw sometimes last year. I hope he really works on his 3-ball over the off-season, too (though 40% or whatever he shot isn't shabby).

tyra
04-30-2007, 05:36 AM
Wait a minute, Madcowz, AKA Killjoy! We're supposed to be engaging in our quasi fantasy of prospecitvely coaching this team here. This won't do! Seriously, thanks for clarifying. Now, we can "coach" with more known variables.

So, what does it mean in terms of next year's approach? Maybe it means that we will often have either no five or no four in, i.e. just Josh or the five person (Kuso or Davis or Foster or Sacre), depending on the match up. After all, we would still have some pretty good rebounders. Or perhaps it means that Pendo will be back to playing more four next year. Or perhaps . . .

brasszag
04-30-2007, 05:56 AM
Ira at the 3... interesting. He could definitely push around taller, thinner 3s like Diamon Simpson, but guys like that could also just shoot over him maybe.

With Ira's vertical? Maybe - maybe not.

roxdoc
04-30-2007, 07:55 AM
With Ira's vertical? Maybe - maybe not.

His dad says 48 inches!

thespywhozaggedme
04-30-2007, 09:53 AM
So, he himself said that he's a 3. Kinda like I've been saying for the last 6 months. We have a total logjam at sf. Ask him if between now and the fall if he can learn to play the point. :p

deathchina
04-30-2007, 10:06 AM
48 inches is pretty much impossible. Look at NBA combine results from past drafts...Rodney Carney for instance was tested as having a 38.5 inch vertical, and he is as athletic as they come (former high jump guy). Gerald Green was tested as having a 39 inch vertical. I think Vince Carter was like a 42 or 44 inch vertical.

lothar98zag
04-30-2007, 11:03 AM
So, he himself said that he's a 3. Kinda like I've been saying for the last 6 months. We have a total logjam at sf.

It's possible that at times next year, GU will play 2 guards, 2 wings, & 1 PF/Center. Or maybe 1 guard, 2 wings, 2 PF/C...

Personally, I don't see much problem with the line-up GU will have next year.

48 inches is pretty much impossible.
shhh! (let us dream a little ;))

MDABE80
04-30-2007, 11:05 AM
errol, nate, siva, thompson......be thoughtful china. we have nice visitors...MFE

SLOZag
04-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Well said -- I second that!

roxdoc
04-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Think of Matt last year playing a "3" in a 3 guard set (not really his position). Compare the two players' dimensions. Ira's greater strength, maturity, and hops. Matt gets to move back closer to where he belongs, Looks like a win-win situation when facing certain opponents. :D

deathchina
04-30-2007, 03:36 PM
"errol, nate, siva, thompson......be thoughtful china. we have nice visitors...MFE"

Translation please? MFE? Are you saying that errol and nate robinson had 48 inch verticals?

brasszag
04-30-2007, 04:45 PM
I'm pretty sure Errol was something like 82 inches (at least if felt like it some times)

There was one block in the gamethatshallnotbementioned (if I recall - maybe the game before that one though) where he came out of nowhere and it looked like he was standing on someone's shoulders he was up so high.

No infection of the knee and Errol is in highlight reels all senior year with his Superman antics.

BobZag
04-30-2007, 04:49 PM
David Thompson couldn't jump 48". lol

deathchina
04-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Just looked it up..Nate Robinson had a vertical leap of 42 inches, as measured at the nba predraft combine.

Michael Jordan supposedly had a vertical of 44 inches at his peak...

MDABE80
04-30-2007, 06:48 PM
I don't see the problem China. ALL those guys , Thompson included, had that type of leaping ability. The one thing the NBA measures is a standing, strsight up jump. In games and activities, it's not how it works. These guy run and jump off runs. It's just how it is.

China the promary focus of my commentearlier was this: When one of our new players Dad shows up and he's watched the kid all his life, I don't think you should be typing what you wrote. I'ts called "courtesy" or "having a some manners". Discreet comments with some thoughtful reserve nearly always will stand someone in good stead.

ON message boards, to the precise cm, nothing is proven or disproven. Think about it this way: Ira on one special day , for instance, got up and after some breakfast, put on his magic shoes. So Dad gets a yardstick out and makes some notches in the frame of the barndoor. So young Ira....nails his jump....say even at 49 inches and tumbles down. It's a legendary leap by any "measure".

We all ove the story, congratulate the man who recited it and we all go home happy about it. We all like the "magical" qualities of sports and the kids who work in athletics. SO let's all rejoice in superhuman stories that become lore. I mean does it REALLY matter if the leap is 43,44 or 48 inches??? No it's the love we have for the kids who try. As for me, I love the guy who tells the story as much as the kid who's the focus of the story.

We all welcome our new family members. Me? I'm not gonna quibble or a few inches. I have respect for those very few inches but they don't matter so much. It might be part of Gonzaga's magic..........or the past , and in Ira's case...certainly our future. Best wishes.... Abe

deathchina
04-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Ok, point taken. But also, why sit here and let everyone on the board think that the kid can jump higher than ANYONE PLAYING PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL!?!?!!? I'm not saying the kid isn't very athletic..I saw the dunk where he jumped over someone on youtube.....but the difference between someone with a 40 inch vertical (which would still put you in the top 2 percent of an NBA draft class) and a 48 inch vertical is significant. NOBODY has a 48 inch vertical. Remember Guillermo Diaz and his rumored 50 inch vertical? It turned out to be 41 inches when he was measured at the combine.

And with that in mind, I appreciate the post by Ira's dad as well. Maybe they measured the vertical with a full running start. I don't know. Whatever. Either way he looks like a very very athletic guy...

englishzag
05-01-2007, 08:39 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5686293383857904911

Here we go. Kadour Ziani - he apparently has a 56" vertical. When you watch this remember he is generously listed at 5' 11"

IdahoTJR
03-02-2009, 03:49 AM
From today's Spokesman Review

"And Ira, it’s only his second year, but he’s a good leader on this team, being as old as he is, 46 or something.”

Brown, listening in from the adjacent cubicle in the locker room, smiled: “Don’t quote him on that

JAGzag
03-02-2009, 03:51 AM
That's really good to see, looks like they're having some fun. Thanks for posting.

Zagalicious
07-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Read on Ira's FaceBook (July 25) he may end up playing in Turkey :)

Angelo Roncalli
09-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Gonzaga graduate and basketball player Ira Brown has a work ethic that has always inspired teammates, players and coaches, and his hard work this summer has paid off, earning him a contract with Chile's Division I team.

Brown headed down to Phoenix after graduation to begin workouts with the Phoenix Suns. His close personal connection to Suns Assistant Coach Dan Majerle led him to this summer arrangement. He played for Majerle in summer leagues in previous years, and also worked in his bar.

Brown, who graduated in May, planned to work on his weaknesses over the summer to prepare him to advance his basketball career into the professional realm.

"I worked on ball handling, reading defenses for offensive purposes and shooting," Brown said.

Workouts consisted of ball handling and shooting and skill drills designed to advance players' understanding of the game.

"The players I had worked out with were all college graduates from University of Arizona, Stanford, North Carolina State, Brigham Young University as well as a Division II school," Brown said. "It was all players who are capable of making the NBA Draft."

Brown said there were also several NBA players who came to the workouts throughout the summer.

http://media.www.gonzagabulletin.com/media/storage/paper375/news/2009/09/11/Sports/Still.Living.The.Dream-3769316.shtml?reffeature=htmlemailedition

CDC84
09-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Once again, the people who say you have a million and one chance of playing basketball professionally after playing D-1 college basketball are liars. Ira Brown during GU playing career averaged 6.1 MPG and 1.9 PPG. Yes, it's not the NBA in the U.S. and millions of bucks, but it's an opportunity for him to make a living playing the game.

former1dog
09-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Once again, the people who say you have a million and one chance of playing basketball professionally after playing D-1 college basketball are liars.

I don't know about a million to one chance, but I do know statistically one has a much better chance of being struck by lightning than making an NBA roster. ;)

CDC84
09-11-2009, 08:36 AM
That's why I pointed out in my post that playing professionally may not mean playing in the NBA or even playing in the United States. The NBA isn't the only opportunity that's out there. But if your goal is play the game and make some money, there are countless examples of guys like Ira who are doing so despite not being major contributors (in terms of performance during games) during their U.S. college basketball playing days.

former1dog
09-11-2009, 08:40 AM
I was just joking around a bit CDC, but your post did prompt a thought.

If I'm seeking to play professional basketball, one of the issues that needs to be considered is the opportunity cost. That is what am I giving up in terms of developing my off the court career in order to pursue professional athletics? There are a lot of factors to consider within that question, obviously.

zzzjag
09-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Another overlooked stat is ESPN nightly top 10 highlights per 40 min.. He had to lead the country.:)

Good for IRA. His finish to the season in the sweet 16 vs UNC was a nice ! on his short Zag career.

I would love to have seen him on SlamBall. (the game where its played on trampolines with pads).

SLOZag
11-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Last night the North Idaho Cardinals (1-0) worked to acheive a 99-95 win over the visiting Spokane Athletic All-Stars. "Former Gonzaga Bulldog Ira Brown had 18 points and six rebounds for the All-Stars."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/nov/04/eastern-rolls-over-central/

BobZag
11-04-2009, 09:01 AM
I see Guy-Marc Michel had something like 6 points.

Vizagra
11-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Didn't someone post that Ira was going to play in South America or something?

BobZag
11-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Saw Ira! at the Alberta game.

sittingon50
11-04-2009, 10:36 AM
He was reportedly going to Chile but (according to Heister during the broadcast) is going to try to get into the D League.

IowaZag
11-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Ira! Brown was picked in the fourth round of tonight's NBDL draft by the Austin Toros.

In other WCC news, John Bryant went to the Erie BayHawks in the second round.

Of interest: The last pick in the first round, Latavious Williams, is the first player to go directly from high school to the D-League.

Full NBDL draft results are at: http://www.nba.com/dleague/draft_board_2009.html

MBZags
11-05-2009, 10:54 PM
http://www.nba.com/dleague/draft_board_2009.html

Round 4, Pick 11.

Good luck to Ira!

wazZag
11-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Looks like Jon Bryant was a second round selection.

cjm720
11-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Wow lots of familiar names on that list. I find it very intersting and quite hypocritical that a HS player is allowed to enter the NBADL.

flutieflakes
11-06-2009, 10:39 AM
There's a name I haven't heard in a minute. Curtis Withers? That guy could ball. Has Spokane ever been mentioned for the D-league?

ID ZAGFAN
11-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Ira will be coached by the first woman coach in the D-League

Just made that connection when I set up my book mark to follow Ira.

Way to go Ira and Nancy Leiberman! :cool:

ID ZAGFAN
11-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Just checked the roster for the Toros' first 2 games (exhibition on the 21st and regular season on the 27th), and Ira Brown was not listed on either roster. Anyone know what's up with that?:confused:

ID ZAGFAN

ZagNative
04-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Haven't seen this elsewhere here yet - Ira with Coras Uan (http://www.corasuan.com/main.html) in Mexico:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/S7UOJBs3iMI/AAAAAAAAf78/9Nr9kTJ6mAo/s512/2010-04-01%20Ira%20Bron%20in%20Mexico.jpg

http://accion.enfoqueinformativo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2080:le-toman-la-medida&catid=49:basequetbol&Itemid=57

The UAN Cora fell into the first of the series against the Wolves with a score of 101 Mazatlan to 94 in match made in Meson de los Deportes of the Autonomous University of Nayarit in Seven Day Party Circuit Coast Basketball Pacific (Cibacopa).

The Cora came home with two new reinforcements, Ira Brown, former Gonzaga Bulldog, who had played in the series against Oregon and former Coyote Mychal Henderson of the University of Kansas Wesleyan, who to his presentation to the fans and the tournament the Coras.

In the first quarter the visitors were up on the scoreboard, the base reference Jovan Harris was the Lobo team, scoring baskets inside the perimeter and long distance. For the home, Mychal Henderson was that referring to the offensive, with Ira Brown has become a reference on the defensive. The first quarter ended with a disadvantage for Coras 37 points to 26.

For the second episode, Cora was injected more energy to quickly discount the downside. Giovanni Silva scored the first points of the quarter via the free throw. After a back and forth by both quintets in the court, the home team took control of the match lacked 6:26 left in the second period.

The triplet Ira Brown, Christopher Mychal Henderson and Silva took control of the offensive, supported by youth triple and annotations Ivan Valles Suarez July, the Coras discounted a 11-point deficit to only one unit after the first half, the score at halftime was 57 to 56 for Wolves.

The Coras taken at the start of the third period with the dual advantage of Christopher Silva, also increased to four points with a triplet of Mychal Henderson. After two minutes played in the third period Nayaritas increased their lead to six points.

The Lobos had to order a full-time to talk and seek to change tactics. Upon returning to the court deducted five points of Mazatlan in just a minute, Jeremis Smith and Danny Brown were the scorers. At the end of the third quarter gave the Lobos return to the marker and went to the last quarter with eight points.

The first three minutes were a back and forth that favored more visitors, and that within this period of time managed to keep the onslaught of Coras and increased the lead to double digits (10 points). Cora player Luis Gonzalez closer to home at five points, scoring a triple and two foul shots in less than a minute. However, in the dying minutes of Mazatlan took the victory by the score of 101 to 94 for and be the first of the series between South rival group.

With this result the Wolves remain in third place in the group, while the Coras are fighting out the last place, which they would get if they beat the Lobos in the second of the series.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elsoldenayarit.com%2Finf%2Fnota .php%3Fid_nota%3D304

Reinforcements arrived for Coras UAN

Today Tuesday from 20:30 hours UAN Cora played the Lobos UAD Mazatlan the series of two exciting games at the Meson de los Deportes, forced to come out with victories Coras mind in order to leave bottom of the table, the opponent is to take into account the Wolves are third with four wins and two losses for these meetings, the Coras UAN will have in their ranks to new American booster Ira Brown, who played two seasons with the University Gonzaga, is known by fans for his spectacular dunks, which makes a player to follow in this tournament. Brown also was player of the Austin Toros, in league talent in the NBA. In its first two games has shown he has offensive potential, plus it has good defensive play, after two games is averaging 27 points.

ID ZAGFAN
04-04-2010, 12:06 PM
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/Old%20Dog%20stats/4CorasUan.jpg

ID ZAGFAN

Notice that he averages 24.6 points a game--and played 40 minutes in all games but one.
Wonder how many dunks? :D
Way to go, Ira! :)

ZagNative
04-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Way to go Ira for sure!

ID ZAGFAN
04-07-2010, 05:32 PM
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/Old%20Dog%20stats/7Stats-1.jpg

Ira's latest stats.

ID ZAGFAN

Zag79
04-09-2010, 01:03 AM
look at his shooting %, hes playing great no matter what league.

ID ZAGFAN
04-10-2010, 12:50 PM
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/Old%20Dog%20stats/10Stats.jpg

Note that his minutes and points are down in these latest two games.

ID ZAGFAN

ZagNative
04-14-2010, 03:21 PM
CORAS UAN YOUTUBE CHANNEL (http://www.youtube.com/user/CORASUAN#p/a/u/1/ag5TlevoVlA) on YouTube has a couple of videos featuring Ira's signature dunks.

ID ZAGFAN
04-14-2010, 03:29 PM
What fun, ZN.

Thanks for posting.

Good to know Ira's still got his old dunking form.

ID ZAGFAN

Gracias, ZN!

Me gustan mucho las clavadas de Ira.

ID ZAGFAN
04-15-2010, 11:35 AM
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/15Lateststats.jpg

ID ZAGFAN

ID ZAGFAN
04-17-2010, 04:47 PM
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/17.jpg

ID ZAGFAN

ID ZAGFAN
04-20-2010, 01:57 PM
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/Old%20Dog%20stats/20.jpg

ZaGranny

ID ZAGFAN
04-22-2010, 01:37 PM
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/Old%20Dog%20stats/22-1.jpg

ZaGranny

ZagNative
04-24-2010, 05:50 PM
More great stuff from Ira in the last few games, one of which is shown in this video uploaded today to Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM_g-5DGRKw&playnext_from=TL&videos=f6CsfAyjmBc), " IRA BROWN VS HERMOSILLO."

Sounds, from the crowd sounds as if they're loving Ira in Temec. No wonder! Here's the box score from that game:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2010-04-23IraBrownBoxScore.jpg

Ira arrived late on this Tepec team, so they're still near the bottom of their league:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/S9Odvz2gjQI/AAAAAAAAt-U/1sC1bJC6qX4/2010-04-24%20Ira%20Brown%20Temec%20League%20Standings.jpg

He's already 4th in the league in ppg, with 24.l ppg, 6th in steals, and 4th in blocks.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/S9OeQ4sxRYI/AAAAAAAAt-c/Ar074VpLlT8/s512/2010-04-24%20Ira%20Brown%20rank%20in%20Mexico%20Current.jp g

Following are Ira's cumulative stats, from the Latinbasket page (http://www.latinbasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=MEX&PlayerID=136418), which I like because it's easier on my pathetic eyes:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2010-04-24IraBrownStats.jpg

ZagNative
04-24-2010, 06:10 PM
About Temec: Being a frustrated (read: poor) traveler, I like to find out something about the environment in which our kids end up playing.

Temec is maybe 40 miles northeast of Puerto vallarta and about 38 miles from the pacific ocean. (Don't make me swear to those numbers!). It's the capital of the state of Nayarit. Temec sits at the foot of an extinct volcano and is in an agricultural area., with a metro area population of about 335,000, give or take. In the map below, it's about half way down, near the Pacific:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/S9Oi0ZRvZtI/AAAAAAAAuAA/kZvBvhHEjos/2010-04-24%20Ira%20Brown%20Tepic%20location%20in%20Mexico-1.jpg

This description from VisitMexico.com (http://www.visitmexico.com/wb/Visitmexico/Visi_Nayarit) is intriguing:
The Huichol and Cora Indians founded Nayar, which is known today as Nayarit. The state is located along the Pacific coast in Mexico’s western region. Many traditions of the pre-Hispanic people persist, as you’ll see in the colorful crafts. Begin your tour by walking along the streets of cosmopolitan Tepic, the state capital, where museums, historic buildings and beautiful parks await you.

This state has various lagoons and beach areas. About 62 km (38 mi) northwest of the capital lies the port of San Blas, an awe-inspiring destination, and 59 km (37 mi) away is Mexcaltitan Island, a magical place with abundant nature. As for the coastal destinations, there’s Vallarta-Nayarit, on the Banderas Bay, a 1,440-km2 extension of fine-sand beaches and calm waters. This is an ideal spot to enjoy water sports and it’s only 10 minutes north of the Puerto Vallarta International Airport. If you head southwest from the capital, you’ll hit the coast of Punta Mita and ecological reserve Marietas Islands, which is an important refuge for the humpback whale from November through April and has thousand of sea birds. There you can also go scuba diving, snorkeling and camping. In addition, this area hosts two important sporting events that you won’t want to miss: the Banderas Bay International Regatta and the World Champion Challenger fishing tournament. If you choose to continue exploring the beach destinations and are looking for a place with excellent tourism facilities, visit the Rincon de Guayabitos, a 3-km (2-mi) stretch of beach with excellent swimming conditions. The beaches, small islands and coral formations in this state make it an unbeatable place to spend your vacation.

Linked on that site is a video about the area (http://www.visitmexico.com/wb/Visitmexico/Visi_video_nayarit) that makes it seem like a wonderful place for Ira to be playing some basketball until he moves on to bigger and better things.

ID ZAGFAN
04-29-2010, 03:05 PM
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/Old%20Dog%20stats/29-2.jpg

Here are Ira's latest stats. No room for the averages, but he's averaging 24 points a game.

Pretty soon I won't have room for the column headings! :)

They seem to play a lot more games than the European teams.

ZaGranny

ID ZAGFAN
05-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Look at the last two games----really great stats!

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/Old%20Dog%20stats/2-1.jpg

Way to go, Ira!!!:D
ZaGranny

ID ZAGFAN
05-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Not sure how well this will work. Ira has too many games on his stat chart, so I captured the header, then his last 3 games.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/Old%20Dog%20stats/8header.jpg
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/Old%20Dog%20stats/8last3games-2.jpg

ZaGranny

ID ZAGFAN
05-21-2010, 06:53 PM
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/Old%20Dog%20stats/21Iraheader.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/Old%20Dog%20stats/21stats.jpg

ZaGranny

FrahmfortheWin
05-22-2010, 07:58 PM
I have been following your updates, thank you and go Ira!!

Zag79
05-23-2010, 02:48 AM
me too, thanks again!

stretchlimo
10-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Looks like Ira's got himself a gig in Argentina, playing for Asociacion Espanola. Best I can gather, his regular season starts in a couple weeks, but it looks like he was involved in some kind of preseason tournament this past weekend, where his team finished runner-up and where he won a dunk contest (imagine!).

An otherwise nice picture of Ira in his new digs is kinda spoiled by that ref. (Maybe a "provide your own caption" opportunity, though...)

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/brown3.jpg

And since no Ira Brown thread should be without a YouTube moment, here's a clip from last season in Mexico. Rebounding his own "miss", I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNVBl5wsc8k

stretchlimo
10-22-2010, 11:20 PM
League opener for Ira, and he saves his only 3-point hit to break an OT tie with 20 seconds left.

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/espanola1.png

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/espanola2.png

stretchlimo
12-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Ira is averaging 13.1 points and 8.1 rebounds, and Asociacion Espanola is one of five teams with a 6-4 record in the league's northern division.

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/ira_stats.png

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/tna_standings.png

azlegendshoops.com (http://www.azlegendshoops.com/) has this pic on its website. It's from Ira's previous season in Mexico, but it's worth a post here.

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/ira1.jpg

stretchlimo
02-09-2011, 12:49 PM
A couple different online sources have indicated that Ira is expected to sign on with the San Miguel Beermen of the Philippine Basketball Association. From one of the sources (http://www.malaya.com.ph/feb09/sports4.html), dated today:

Meanwhile, Ira Brown is set to plane in today to reinforce San Miguel Beer, completing the cast of imports for the Commissioner’s Cup.

The former Gonzaga Bulldog, who is coming off a stint in Argentina, is listed at 6-foot-4 and is expected to have no problem meeting the PBA’s height limit.

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/sanmiguel.png

Ira. Hops. Bitter beer face. It all fits together somehow.

stretchlimo
03-04-2011, 08:48 AM
From philstar.com (http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=663223&publicationSubCategoryId=69):

Brown tip-in seals SMB win over Meralco
By Nelson Beltran (The Philippine Star) Updated March 05, 2011 12:00 AM Comments (0)

MANILA, Philippines – San Miguel Beer overcame a seven-point deficit in the last three minutes and banked on Ira Brown’s buzzer-beating tip-in to steal a 90-89 victory over Meralco in their classic match in the PBA Philippine Cup at the Araneta Coliseum last night.

But unknown to Brown, he won what proved to be his farewell game with the Beermen since he will be replaced by former Seattle SuperSonic David Young.

“He’s a pro. He would understand,” said San Miguel coach Ato Agustin. “We have decided that we need an import who could create something in the 2 (off-guard) and 3 (small forward) positions.”

Ira's stint with the Beermen lasted 2 games. Hope he finds a new gig soon.

Here's a highlight reel of Ira during his time in Argentina earlier this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8iWRX6TLBw#t=1m13s

Manetherendrelle
03-04-2011, 02:14 PM
That aint right... He just won you a BIG game. Give the kid a chance!

Birddog
03-04-2011, 03:39 PM
The Beermen? You gotta love a mascot like that. Hell, just about any Zag that I know would love to play for the Beermen, and most are well qualified too.

stretchlimo
03-29-2011, 01:37 PM
It only took a few days for Ira to find work again. He's back with Tepic (Mexico), the club he played for last year.

Here are his stats/logs with Tepic (1-9 in league) so far:

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/ira_stats-1.png

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/ira1-1.jpg

Bogozags
04-02-2011, 08:12 AM
A couple different online sources have indicated that Ira is expected to sign on with the San Miguel Beermen of the Philippine Basketball Association. From one of the sources (http://www.malaya.com.ph/feb09/sports4.html), dated today:
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/sanmiguel.png

Ira. Hops. Bitter beer face. It all fits together somehow.

Believe it or not, the "3-Line" San Miguel Beer is not too bad. I liked it much better than American beer when I was in the Navy and stationed in the PI. It was about $.15 per bottle back in the day...I say 3-line as their 4-line sometimes just didn't have beer in their bottles...roaches, baby mice and other delicacies could be found. When buying a beer, you automatically checked to see if it was 3 or 4 line beer...if it was 4 line beer, then you immediately held it up to the light to see if there were any additions in the bottle...

hooter73
04-15-2011, 08:33 AM
His highlight reel is just fun. Man i miss athletic dunks.

stretchlimo
10-16-2011, 06:33 PM
The Basketball Japan season is underway. Ira’s team, the Toyama Grouses, split their first two games this weekend against Niigata. Ira had 14 points & 7 rebounds in the 81-79 win, then followed with 13 points & 6 rebounds in the 85-75 loss.

Per basketballnavi.com (http://basketballnavi.com/2011/10/15/toyama-grouses_chose_ryuichi_and_brown_as_the_captains/), Ira was chosen to be one of the two team captains:
I felt honored that the team chose me as the captain.I feel great about the teammates, all hard working guys, gotta continue to push each other and get better. I gotta lead by example, getting the guys fired up ready to play, give guys positiving and constructive feedbacks.
He feels very great about staff, coach, demands perfection, every body seems to be on the same page, We don’t take anything lightly, it’ll be a tough challenge but we’re out to make a statement that toyama’s not a pushovers.http://basketballnavi.com/webzine2/uploads/2011/10/ira-brown_teamcaptain.jpg

ZagNative
03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Ira's been performing well for the grouses. Most recently, from asia-basket on March 5 (http://www.asia-basket.com/Japan/basketball.asp?NewsID=262466):
American forward Ira Brown (193-F-82, agency: SDJ Sports) put on an extraordinary performance in the last round for Toyama Grouses, receiving a Asia-basket.com BJ League Player of the Week award for round 41.
The 29-year old player had a double-double of 28 points and 13 rebounds, while his team beat Saitama Bron. (#9, 10-24) 85-71. Toyama Grouses maintains the 3rd position in Japanese BJ League. They would have been even better if they hadn't lost a few games earlier this season. Toyama Grouses will need more victories to improve their 20-15 record. In the team's last game Brown had a remarkable 78.6% from 2-point range. It was one of impressive evenings for him as usually he does not deliver so high stats. Ira Brown averages this season 11.8ppg and 5.1rpg. Ira's stats on the season:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-JijzmgTNcRE/T2pKqXMa2WI/AAAAAAABVGw/Qdqnlt1eK08/s800/2012-03-21%2520Ira%2520Brown%2520Stats.jpg

Over the last ten games, he's averaged 17.7 points an 9 rebounds per game.

sittingon50
03-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Great job, Ira.

zagfan24
03-29-2012, 09:32 AM
To this day, I think Ira could have been an NFL tight end. He had the strength, speed, vertical -- but nonetheless I'm happy to hear he is doing well. He was a nice addition to the Zags, both in terms of leadership and athleticism.

northsidezagfan
04-10-2012, 06:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhj9zHX_n2k&feature=youtube_gdata
Ira's highlights from this season. He pretty much dunks for the first 4 minutes and hits 3s for the last 2 minutes. Pretty impressive highlight reel, one of my favorite Zags in recent years.

stretchlimo
04-29-2012, 08:52 AM
The Grouses finished the regular season at 25-27, good for 5th place (and a playoff berth) in Basketball Japan’s Eastern Conference.

Ira started all 52 games, averaged 12.7 points / 6.3 rebounds / 1.9 assists, and almost managed to launch as many 3-pointers (192) as Derek (200, in 46 games). Not too shabby on the percentage, either (made 62, for 32.3%).

Ira also had 53 dunks to finish 9th in the league in that stat. Still shots of two of those:

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/ira1-2.png

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/ira2.png

And a couple of pics facing a fellow Old Dog...

Ira guarding Derek

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/ira4.png

Derek guarding the McD's logo

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/ira3.png

SLOZag
08-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Mods: Feel free to move this to Old Dogs when it's appropriate

"The last time any Gonzaga fans probably heard of Ira Brown was when the senior helped the Zags reach the Sweet 16 in 2009. Brown would later be a fourth round draft pick in the 2009 NBA D-League Draft, but he instead decided to take his basketball talents overseas and played for clubs in the Philippines, Mexico, Argentina and Japan.

He is back on American soil, and now he is heading to Greek soil as part of Team USA in the FIBA 3x3 World Championships.

"We ... ended up winning the whole thing (the USA Basketball 3x3 National Team Tournament) . We have a lot of talent on our team, some great players and great attitudes. We're looking forward to heading over to Greece and making some noise over there." [said Brown.] Brown, along with Tyree Hardge, Adetayo Adseanya and Allen Williams form the team Desert Pro-Am who went 8-0 and won the first ever USA Basketball 3x3 National Championship.

They are heading to Athens, Greece to play in the first ever world championships on August 23 - 26. The team will open against Turkey and Egypt on August 23 and then face England and Lebanon on August 24."

http://seattle.sbnation.com/2012/8/21/3259449/gonzaga-zag-ira-brown-team-usa-in-3x3-world-championships

Oregonzagnut
08-22-2012, 11:42 AM
congrats to Ira. I hope there will be enough exposure for him to sign with a great pro team after the tournament is over. I would think after winning the USA tournament that he would have quite a bit of interest.

He is living is Spokane now and he is once again doing us proud!

ZagNative
08-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Ira's Team USA game vs. Turkey is up next.

Free online video streaming will be available here. (http://www.ert.gr/webtv/web-tv-live/ert-websport1-live)

Go Ira!

Note: Good luck figuring out that live stream thing. Ira's game didn't show, but his team won the game vs. Turkey 17-14, per schedule results here. (http://greece2012.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/12/3x3/wc/p/schedule.html)

ZagNative
08-23-2012, 01:03 PM
USA beat Egypt as well, so they finished the day 2-0. Tomorrow: England and Lebanon.

KStyles
08-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Looks like a good day for the US, the Womens team also went 2-0.

Seems like the Womens squad is quite a bit younger, it features current Stanford F Chiney Ogwumike, current UConn G Bria Hartley, current Notre Dame G Skylar Diggins & former UConn & WNBA player Ann Strother.

It appears the womens squad was picked from the participants in the US national tournament, rather than just taking the entire winning team, as the men did. Interesting.

ZagNative
08-24-2012, 06:48 AM
Great video of an Ira Brown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ggPcZedtc)(#13) Alley-Oop!

And here's the report from USA Basketball (http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/3x3/12_3x3_day_01.html) of the first day action.
The inaugural FIBA 3x3 World Championship features 24 men’s teams and 24 women’s national teams divided into four preliminary round groups of six teams each. The U.S. men next face England (2-0) and Lebanon (0-2) on Aug. 24, and close out preliminary play Aug. 25 against Romania (1-1). The USA women will take on Bulgaria (2-0), which replaced Sri Lanka on the original schedule, and Argentina (1-1) on Aug. 24, and will conclude preliminary play versus Netherlands (0-2) on Aug. 25. The top four finishing teams from each group advance to the Eight Finals to be played on Aug. 25, with winners advancing to the quarterfinals that will also be played Aug. 24. The semifinals, and the bronze and gold medal games, will be played Aug. 26.

All the games on Court 1 will be streamed live online daily at www.ert.gr/webtv/web-tv-live/ert-websport1-live, and will include the USA men’s game versus England on Aug. 24 (11:20 a.m. EDT), the USA women’s contest against Argentina on Aug. 24 (1:30 p.m. EDT) and the USA men against Romania on Aug. 25 (11:00 a.m. EDT).

Also featured during the weekend will be a skills contest for women, a dunk contest for men and a shootout contest for both men and women. The skills qualifying round will be held Aug. 24, while the qualifying dunk and shootout contest rounds will be held on Aug. 25. All finals will take place Aug. 26. Diggins will represent the U.S. in the skills contest; Brown will be the USA’s representative for the dunk contest; Diggins, Hartley and Strother will participate in the women’s shootout; and Adesanya, Hardge and Williams will compete in the men’s shootout.
Here's the schedule for the men's games (http://greece2012.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/12/3x3/wc/p/schedule.html), which includes the courts the games will be shown on. Games shown on Court 1 will be streamed live.

ZagNative
08-24-2012, 07:57 AM
USA won the game against England 13-9. I never was able to access the live video stream for some reason. Drat!

For the next game, I'll try this link instead (http://greece2012.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/12/3x3/wc/p/live.html).

Edited to add: I like this photo of Ira from his FIBA 3 x 3 profile: (http://greece2012.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/12/3x3/wc/team/p/ct/0/sid/DCZ12DZCUKYVOGRE/tid/TEZ12ILDOECSFUSA/profile.html)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-cffRcH_cilQ/UDezZo_4fFI/AAAAAAABVZg/BWfmr5ji8WI/s600/2012-08-24%2520Ira%2520Brown%25203x3.jpg

That right there is a certified stud!

ZagNative
08-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Oh, oh...
USA Basketball ‏@usabasketball

The USA 3x3 men dropped their quarterfinals match to SRB 20-16 and are out, but the women are still in the medal... http://fb.me/FEnhMHS9

Radbooks
08-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Here's an article on the AZ Central website that Meehan at the Spokesman linked to today. It has some interesting stuff about Ira!

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/azetc/articles/20120826valley-athletes-part-olympic-basketball-future.html

stretchlimo
11-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Overdue props to Ira...having a good year for the Toyama Grouses in Japan. He's in the league's Top 10 in several stat categories. This past week he earned 3rd place in asia-basket.com's Player of the Week rankings (http://www.asia-basket.com/Japan/basketball.asp?NewsID=297128):
Third place about best performers goes to forward Ira Brown (193-F-82, agency: SDJ Sports) of league's second-best Toyama Grouses. Brown scored 24 points and grabbed seven rebounds. He was a key player of Toyama Grouses, leading his team to a 81-70 win against #4 ranked Niigata Albirex in a game of the week. Toyama Grouses needs these victories very badly if they think about taking over top position in the standings. Their record at this point is 10 victories and 6 lost games. Brown has a very solid season. In 16 games in Japan he scored 15.1ppg. He also has 8.8rpg, 3.9apg, 2.3spg, 1.9bpg and FGP: 54.5%.
http://kura2.photozou.jp/pub/113/122113/photo/161344618_624.v1354108498.jpg

ZagNative
06-25-2013, 02:04 PM
From the English language Japan Times (http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2013/06/26/basketball/golden-kings-star-mchenry-shined-as-leagues-top-player-in-2012-13/#.UcoRa5zNmpw):
As the summer begins, with the regular-season and playoff memories now neatly stored in our brains, it’s time to highlight top individuals from the bj-league’s eighth season.
0. Ira Brown (Toyama) & Mike Bell (Osaka) *TIE* — The Grouses forward guided his team to the second round of the playoffs, its deepest foray into the postseason since Toyama joined the circuit in 2006. The 193-cm Gonzaga product was tied for third in steals (2.0), and paced his team in scoring (16.0 ppg), rebounds and blocks. He was No. 2 in assists. In other words, a do-it-all player. For the Evessa, Bell, who had 14.4 ppg and ignited the team’s resurrection under former Chicago Bulls bench boss Bill Cartwright after the All-Star break, with that work beginning on defense.

Note: Kuso also gets a mention in the story:

Miyazaki’s Abdullahi Kuso (there were few highlights for the 9-43 Shining Suns, who have left the league due to financial problems, but the big man’s 17.3 points and 12.2 rebounds in 31 contests caught people’s attention);

SLOZag
03-15-2014, 11:43 AM
I recently noticed an English language item from the Japan Times about a recent game Ira played in. His team in Japan -- the Toyama Grouses (sporting a lofty 31-10 w/l record) lost a tight overtime game to the Osaka Evessa. "Gonzaga product Ira Brown paced Toyama (31-10) with 26 points and five assists. He was 12-for-13 at the charity stripe."

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2014/03/15/basketball/kyoto-mauls-hamamatsu-in-showdown-of-west-rivals/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=kyoto-mauls-hamamatsu-in-showdown-of-west-rivals#.UySrtthOW70

ZaGranny
06-30-2014, 12:05 PM
He definitely does! I was excited to watch him play and talk to him at Hoopfest.

And he has recently married a lovely Japanese woman.

See more and pics in ZaGranny's Adventures at Hoopfest in the MBB forum.

Also some pics of Colin thread (on Ira's team) and Blake Stepp and Cory Violette.

ZaGranny

ZagNative
08-21-2014, 12:19 PM
Ira's making a move that has his former team, the Toyama Grouses, all atwitter. I hadn't realized how important Ira has been in boosting the Grouses' position in the BJ league. From Japan Times (http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2014/08/21/basketball/bj-league/grouses-remain-transition-preseason-looms/#.U_ZJ72NjiMU):
Grouses remain in transition as preseason looms

Less than two weeks before the league’s preseason schedule tips off, the Toyama Grouses roster doesn’t resemble the one that soared to great heights last season.

What’s more, league sources have told The Japan Times that star forward Ira Brown will not return to the Grouses after three banner seasons. Instead, the Gonzaga University alum, will ply his craft for the rival NBL’s Hitachi Sunrockers, the sources confirmed. (Translation: a bigger paycheck.)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-KW-xqyYlQt4/U_ZS8A0G6xI/AAAAAAABkEY/H1GPHQEwmdw/s512/2014-08-21%2520Ira%2520Brown.jpg

Last season, the Grouses set a franchise record with 42 wins and won the Eastern Conference regular-season title in coach Bob Nash’s second season in charge. Brown was named to the bj-league’s Best Five team and averaged 16.8 points and 10.0 rebounds with 81 steals and 52 blocks. He was fifth in the league in minutes played (1,780). Guard Masashi Joho scored 17.4 ppg and also earned Best Five accolades and the league’s regular-season MVP honors.

When contacted by The Japan Times earlier this week, Nash, a former NBA forward and ex-University of Hawaii head coach, declined to comment about the team’s new-look roster and the challenges his team will face to maintain its place as one of the league’s premier teams.

As a one-two punch, Joho and Brown were as effective and efficient as any combination in the league. Without Brown’s impressive skill set,

Nash will likely need to make changes to the way the team runs its offense and defense.

The Grouses made significant improvement in each of Brown’s three seasons with Toyama. Take a look at the won-loss records: 25-27 in 2011-12, 35-17 in 2012-13 and 42-10 in 2013-14. His overall command of the game at both ends of the floor played a major part in transforming Toyama into an elite franchise.

Before Brown and Joho joined the Grouses, for ex-coach Kazuaki Shimoji’s lone full season at the helm (2011-12), they were a perennial doormat franchise, with a 61-171 record and zero playoff appearances in five seasons.

Ira will be joining Josh Heytvelt with Hitachi. Roster Page from Asiabasket.com: (http://basketball.asia-basket.com/team/Japan/Hitachi_Sunrockers_Tokyo/2919)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-VMm7TSsruLs/U_ZT4ak7xgI/AAAAAAABkEg/Nw_OMPGCGCQ/s661/2014-8-21%2520Ira%2520Brown%2520Roster.jpg

That should be one tough team, with those two guys!

ZagNative
08-23-2014, 07:55 PM
The SunRockers just posted this pic of Josh to announce his signing:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/7057_338651339648473_5170750596130001432_n.png?oh= 89c543bb0c9ad2af73505251193fed31&oe=5481235D&__gda__=1416955012_082472ce40370fbb33aaa1277e8a288 e

And here's Ira!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10157128_338406529672954_7464635656620872912_n.png ?oh=d860c40955743bc8d4565f6360500b38&oe=54789429&__gda__=1417047107_75513413e601547185ca0f6395315c3 c

zag39
10-17-2014, 05:43 PM
Wow!
He will become a naturalized Japanese citizen on Oct.16.

https://www.facebook.com/HitachiSunrockers

ZaGranny
10-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Wow!
He will become a naturalized Japanese citizen on Oct.16.

https://www.facebook.com/HitachiSunrockers

That's not too surprising, as he told me at HoopFest (see above) that he had married a Japanese woman--whom I met. Another possible explanation is that a lot of the international teams have limits on the number of non-national players who may play on a team, and his new team may have asked him to naturalize. And since dual citizenship is now legal, he may have done that.

Anyway, not too shocking.

ZaGranny

ZagNative
10-24-2014, 03:06 PM
Josh had a whale of a game today, 15 points and 15 rebounds(!). Box score from Asiabasket. (http://www.eurobasket.com/boxScores/Japan/2014/1024_2919_1703.asp).

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-r4V3KXWeBb4/VErauL6JKXI/AAAAAAABk2o/-uv-1gj7maY/s585/2014-10-24%2520Josh%2520Heytvelt.jpg

Note rhat Hitachi was unfortunate enough to come up against Toshiba's Nick Fazekas in this 85-92 loss. Fazekas scored 24 points.

Hitachi is at the top of the standings in the NBL league, at 4-1. Fazekas is #3 in the points leaders of the league and Josh is #6.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-b8SsSosl1mc/VEraukZaMKI/AAAAAAABk2s/sBKb4r_DjhE/s512/2014-10-24Heytvelt%2520Japan%2520Standings.jpg

ZagNative
10-25-2014, 12:57 PM
Another great game for Josh, with Hitachi over Toshiba 71-61. He really is the rebound king.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-povMwQOuYH0/VEwMjdmvk6I/AAAAAAABk3c/Y4DoSgootzg/s578/2014-10-25%2520Josh%2520Heytvelt%2520box%2520score.jpg