PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Frustration -- just fix it!

77Zag
02-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Is it just me or are we all frustrated with ESPN and affiliates –

Tonight we’ll have the Notre Dame vs. DePaul just before on ESPN2 – then we wait and almost every time the games run over the start time.
Why the heck do they schedule a game a 6 and then another at 8 – it never works out. Rarely, if at all, have we seen the tip of the Zag game at 8, even with the little delay.
Forced to watch on ESPN3?

Why can’t ESPN and schedulers just make the games 2.5 hours apart so I don’t sit there as swear at some dumbass coach for calling timeout when the game is over.

Hate this, help!

BobZag
02-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Get drunk and you'll care less.

Ezag
02-03-2011, 09:53 AM
It is frustrating but they overlap so you are forced to watch the previous game. I don't usually mind unless it is a blowout and the beginning of Zags games don't mean much to me. I more interested in 2nd half

CDC84
02-03-2011, 09:53 AM
The bigger question is why they won't put the start of the 2nd game on ESPN News. I've never understood this. Nobody is watching ESPN News at night while sporting events are taking place throughout the country. I think they can break away from ESPN News for 10 minutes or whatever to allow viewers to see the start of the 2nd game. Once the 1st game ends, switch the coverage of the 2nd game to ESPN2 or whatever.

Zag4Hire
02-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Is it just me or are we all frustrated with ESPN and affiliates –

Tonight we’ll have the Notre Dame vs. DePaul just before on ESPN2 – then we wait and almost every time the games run over the start time.
Why the heck do they schedule a game a 6 and then another at 8 – it never works out. Rarely, if at all, have we seen the tip of the Zag game at 8, even with the little delay.
Forced to watch on ESPN3?

Why can’t ESPN and schedulers just make the games 2.5 hours apart so I don’t sit there as swear at some dumbass coach for calling timeout when the game if over.

Hate this, help!

Any other season, yes I would care. This year, if I can't watch the whole game and they win, I will take it. Anything for a win this year.

Baldwinzag
02-03-2011, 09:56 AM
When things aren't going your way, when life has got you down, or even when you're frustrated with ESPN game delays, just...

Works everytime. ;)

Paid for by Bobzag himself.

77Zag
02-03-2011, 09:59 AM

Wow, I guess I'm at the wrong state of drunk at tip off time. Perhaps more drunker and den I wud jest care lesss

Oregon Zag
02-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Stay thirsty, my friends.

NotoriousZ
02-03-2011, 10:02 AM
I comment on this every year, usually more than once. This season's rant:

Games 2:30 apart, with recaps and highlights from other games to fill in the dead space (if there's even time for that--see GU vs. many teams, every damn year).

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-03-2011, 10:08 AM
I'd rather keep the schedule the way it is, even if it can be frustrating to miss the first ten minutes of action. I live on the east coast. These evening games start waaaaay too late for viewers in this time zone. An 8:00 PST start time translates into an 11:00 PM start time where I'm living. They usually finish after 1:00 AM on my "school nights."

I'm getting old. If you throw in another pair of 30 minute delays, I'd never watch these games.

gonza
02-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Wife and I go to ESP3 on line and don't miss a thing ......

madness
02-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Well, if we didn't have the ESPN contracts we would be getting tape delay games on FSN thx to PAC10 games (for viewers outside of Spokane).

I'll take the current situation just fine!

FuManShoes
02-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Prediction: ESPN will cut to the GU-Portland game 7 minutes into the game, with the Zags down 15-10.

zagfan07
02-03-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't think its going to be an issue tonight. Depaul is terrible so ND should blow them out. No fouling late in the game - that's what really slows the games down.

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Wife and I go to ESP3 on line and don't miss a thing ......

Likewise. And I like to drink, so that's always a viable back-up plan.

GoZags
02-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Last night they started Nevada/Utah State on ESPNU while the Mizzou/Ok State game ran it's normal time (I won't say it ran long -- that'd be a lie).

stretchlimo
02-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Well, if we didn't have the ESPN contracts we ould be getting tape delay games on FSN thx to PAC10 games (for viewers outside of Spokane).

Looks like this will come into play again next week.

Next Saturday, GU/Pepperdine scheduled to tip at 7:00pm Pacific. The game is live on KHQ, and gozags.com indicates it's on Universal Sports in Seattle. However, if you don't have KHQ or Universal, it appears you'll get the game on FSN on tape delay. And what does FSN plan to show live instead?

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/2.png

So if you don't have KHQ or Universal, it's FSN tape delay at 9:30pm Pacific. Depending on your provider, there's an outside chance that an alternate channel would show the game live, or at least most of it (my cable zap2it listings show what appears to be a JIP of GU/Pepp at 7:30pm on Fox College Sports Central - though I wouldn't consider that confirmed by any means).

Check your own listings, but don't be surprised if you won't be able to see the Pepperdine game on live TV outside of KHQ/Universal.

Zag4Hire
02-03-2011, 01:55 PM
I don't think its going to be an issue tonight. Depaul is terrible so ND should blow them out. No fouling late in the game - that's what really slows the games down.

Haha it never seems to fail. Whenver a Gonzaga game is the next tilt on any ESPN channel, the lead in game will always be close, complete with many timeouts being called in the final 120 seconds. If you are lucky, maybe quite a few fouls to stop the clock as well and if it is truly Xmas, an OT session or two. A bit anti-climatic when you have already missed the lead-in segment complete with music and graphics, 'Star Watch', the tip, etc.

zaguarxj
02-03-2011, 02:08 PM
If I get drunk before tip-off, I don't think I'll make it through the whole game.

DixieZag
02-03-2011, 02:25 PM
So, agree - - every Zag game follows one that goes unnecessarily long. I end up wondering how many times a team came from starting to foul being 10 back with 90 seconds left. Then I think of ONE team that did come from 11 back in 2:00 minutes and then it is just worse, way worse. Often I hope for a real close game so there are no fouls at all just a one point game coming down to the last shot - - the timeouts are inevitable, its the fouling and fts that drag the clock.

I would like to see 2.5 hour games, during the week there is plenty of college hoop for highlights between games - which we would enjoy, and on the weekends there is everything else AND college basketball.

UberZagFan
02-03-2011, 05:53 PM
There's no excuse for ESPN or FSN to run games 2 hours apart. CBB games rarely finish in 2.

ID ZAGFAN
02-03-2011, 06:42 PM
The TN vs Auburn game is on espn2 before the GU vs Portland game, not Notre Dame vs DePaul.

Note Dame vs DePaul is on ESPN before Sports center at 8:00

According to my remote guide.

TN is 20 points ahead of Auburn. (Yay!) with 7:30 minutes left

ZaGranny

McZag
02-03-2011, 06:53 PM

Would the Mod's or other board veterans, this means you sinto, LIzagfan, whoohoo - please create a "Bob's All-Time Quotes" page.

And put this quote at the top. This maybe Bob's best ever!!!

:roll:.......

Still laughing

:roll:

Just_An_Old_Zag
02-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Why don't we get drunk and sue?

Get the Zags off ESPN and back on FSN just for you...

They say ESPN is the programming king but i dont believe thats true
So why don't we get drunk and sue..

my apologies to the parrot heads on the forum it just popped into my happily innebrated skull after the game as i was perusing this thread..

I sure hope its warm in Vegas in March..I have cabin fever

Zagsker
02-03-2011, 09:40 PM

I like the way you think..atleast right now:D

229SintoZag
02-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Would the Mod's or other board veterans, this means you sinto, LIzagfan, whoohoo - please create a "Bob's All-Time Quotes" page.

And put this quote at the top. This maybe Bob's best ever!!!

:roll:.......

Still laughing

:roll:

I am a veteran but never have been a mod. I think the concern was that I'd edit everyone's posts for grammar. Probably a smart move keeping the mod controls out of my hands.

This is one of the best quotations from Bob I can remember from any iteration of these boards. I think it may well be a good motto for watching all remaining Zags games this year.

Gonzaga basketball--get drunk and you'll care less.