PDA

View Full Version : Get used to Dunking?

MickMick
06-06-2007, 09:49 PM
We have grown quite accustomed to seeing the likes of JP Batista masterfully using the backboard with those big soft hands. Pargo will flash an occasional dunk, but commonly went with with a standard layup. Pendo will lay it off the glass. Seems that Josh was giving us the most dunking entertainment...for a half season anyways.

Are we in for a delight? I mean does Ira really dunk everything in sight? Can LG really vertical 39"?. Will Davis, Sacre, and Daye slam it home? Is the team average for a vertical really 37"? Of course Josh will be back at it again. Will this be the most dunking we have ever seen from a Gonzaga team? I just can't imagine the Kennel getting any crazier than it already does.

pbriz
06-06-2007, 10:02 PM
... going absolutely crazy in the student section if i ever see Pargo throw it down again like he did against St. Mary's last year. Absolutely ridiculous. I don't even know what I would have done if I would have seen his reverse 360 at USD.

TheZagPhish
06-06-2007, 10:13 PM
I can see it now. But I hope we can deliver that kind of in-your-face play when it really counts - like, say, when it's time to flat out put a team away. No more Mr. Nice Team when we've got a healthy lead. Healthy lead? Ira, get in there and posterize somebody!

Nevtelen
06-06-2007, 11:13 PM
We have grown quite accustomed to seing the likes of JP Batista masterfully using the backboard with those big soft hands. Pargo will flash an occasional dunk, but commonly went with with a standard layup. Pendo will lay it off the glass. Seems that Josh was giving us the most dunking entertainment...for a half season anyways.

Are we in for a delight? I mean does Ira really dunk everything in sight? Can LG really vertical 39"?. Will Davis,Sacre, and Daye slam it home? Is the team average for a vertical really 37"? Of course Josh will be back at it again. Will this be the most dunking we have ever seen from a Gonzaga team? I just can't imagine the Kennel getting any crazier than it already does.

I really liked the two guys who called the Big Monday GU games - Gannon and Bardo IIRC - and in one of the games when Kuso was missing bunnies off the backboard (@USF maybe?) instead of throwing it down, Bardo said something like, "Why be so tentative? Get in there and break somebody's hand. That'll make them think twice." I think we're going to see a lot of 'break somebody's hand' dunks between Josh, Pargo, Ira, and Sacre (and maybe Davis, too).

GonzagaLove
06-07-2007, 05:59 AM
I don't see Kuso being quite so tentative next year. He threw it down last year and will only be better this year.

I would not want to play us!

sonuvazag
06-07-2007, 09:24 AM
I can see it now. But I hope we can deliver that kind of in-your-face play when it really counts - like, say, when it's time to flat out put a team away. No more Mr. Nice Team when we've got a healthy lead. Healthy lead? Ira, get in there and posterize somebody!
No scrubs on this squad. Pick your 9-13 on our roster and I think it would be a starting five to rival any other WCC program.

lothar98zag
06-07-2007, 09:26 AM
A thread about dunking w/o youtube links? C'mon people, we're better than that! :p

I'll start.

Josh (& PMAC) dunk while Baylor watches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZbMWANmgs

Pargo dunk vs SMC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6gVNhfho10

Pargo 360 dunk vs USD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e17Sc4gjxyc

Ok, who's next?

lawzag
06-07-2007, 09:42 AM
awesome youtube clips Lothar
thanks a bunch!!!:D

BobZag
06-07-2007, 10:03 AM
The more dunks, the more energy for defense and offense. The KC and crowd will be going nuts. That'll feed the team.

Pargo's two tomahawks against Memphis were tops in my book, along with Josh's one-handed inbounds slammer against Rice, or was it Baylor?

I like, I like. :000tens:

lothar98zag
06-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Don't make me do all the work here!

Ira dunks OVER & ON someone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N7aVtZb6fo

zaguarxj
06-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Didn't I see where someone was watching Pargo and Downs having a little throw-down contest, and Foster walked up and dunked without even jumping?

xjzico
06-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Should expect not only dunks, but quite a few blocks, to pump up the crowd and defense.

Hopefully, next year is along the lines of Heytvelt's play against UNC. Man how I love his block on Hansborrough, though equally impressive, was Josh shooting over the top of Julian Wright. Anyway, one of my fav clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqJS6ONXPE&mode=related&search=

brasszag
06-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Should expect not only dunks, but quite a few blocks, to pump up the crowd and defense.

Hopefully, next year is along the lines of Heytvelt's play against UNC. Man how I love his block on Hansborrough, though equally impressive, was Josh shooting over the top of Julian Wright. Anyway, one of my fav clips.

I was just watching that vid earlier today - when Josh has his head together he's scary, scary good.

The attitude, skills, athleticism, and even showmanship are amazing.

lothar98zag
06-07-2007, 11:07 AM

I just watched that clip yesterday (it's in MickMick's sig).

I can't beleive how much of that game I'd forgotten - not JH's block on Hans, how could anyone forget that!?!

Due to many things that happened last season that game feels like it happened about 10 years ago. Hopefully games like that happen a lot more often this coming season.

DenDiegoZag
06-07-2007, 12:26 PM
... going absolutely crazy in the student section if i ever see Pargo throw it down again like he did against St. Mary's last year. Absolutely ridiculous. I don't even know what I would have done if I would have seen his reverse 360 at USD.

You probably would have about fallen out of your seat cheering like the rest of the GU fans in attendance did...It was ridiculous...The only better part of the game was Pargo taking his jersey off after the game to reveal a sleeveless "Beat Gonzaga" t-shirt that he "acquired & altered" before the game...

THAT DUNK WAS SWEET!!

Nevtelen
06-07-2007, 12:30 PM
It was such a great cap to a roller-coaster of a season. That was the exclamation mark that said, shared or not, we got the title. Bring it. That had to be just about the single most cathartic slam I've ever seen. I about fell out of my seat cheering and I was watching it on TV.

sanfranzagsguy20
06-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Man how I love his block on Hansborrough, though equally impressive, was Josh shooting over the top of Julian Wright.

when did we play kansas last year? that would have been a fun game to watch ;)

RebornZag
06-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Like a whole lot of fans, I too really like dunking in games. I can remember the years we had Casey Calvary. Then we had Roney and Errol, and slowly we began to build. I was sick and tired of watching teams, especially in OOC games, dunk on us all night. I prayed and waited, prayed and waited, prayed and waited for the athlete players to arrive, guys that could jump out of the gym and slam it home. I wanted thunder dunks, and tamohawk dunks like we saw from Josh last year. And then we saw amzing soaring (like an eagle almost) and thunder dunks by Pargo, and a few by PMAC. It looked like we were beginning to build. And now, next year we have added Ira Brown and I think LG. I've excited again about LG. The news out on him is very good I think. That guy is a competitor. And of course we may seem some from Gray and Sacre, and even Daye and Downs a little.

How about DunkZaggers......equal to shooting a dagger in the hearts of our opponents.

xjzico
06-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Your right, it was Julian's cousin, Brendan.:rolleyes: