PDA

View Full Version : Do the 2011 Zags remind you of the 2007 Zags

Reborn
02-02-2011, 05:13 PM
7/11

The 07 season began with high hopes, and the fans thought we had a real good team. And then the fiasco with the mushrooms happened, and a couple players were kicked off the team. One of them was a pretty good player. ZagNation seemed to have a dark cloud over it. The one all-time conference loss in K2 that the announcers kept talking about during the St Mary's game, (and I remember the game well), took place shortly after the mushroom incindent. We had just beaten St. Mary's without our star center, and Santa Clara was up next and fighting with the Zags for the WCC title. Santa Clara beat the Zags in a hard fought game. The loss to Santa Clara was a downer, and the the mood after that loss felt like the mood after the St. Mary's game last week. The following week, the Zags lost to Memphis by one point in the Spokane Arena at the end of the game, pretty much the way McConnell beat us at the buzzer the other night. I was at that Memphis game, and the crowd sat stunned for a long time after the game. It was so loud in the arena that evening, I thought I might pass out. After the Memphis loss the Zags had lost 3 out of 4 (it included a loss at LMU), and the fans began to wonder if this would be the first time that the Zags would NOT make it to the NCAA tournament in March.

After that game the Zags ran the table and won the WCC after Santa Clara lost both their games the last weekend of the season. It was a huge surprise. The run began with a win at Portland.

Also that season the Zags had a 4 game losing streak during the non-conference season. And like I said earllier, they had another sreak of losing 3 of 4 during conference (however one of those games was to Memphis and OOC game). The Zags lost 11 games that year and most likely would not have gone to the Big Dance in March if they had not won the WCC tournament by defeating Santa Clara in the finals by 9 points.

diabeticzag
02-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Nah, the jerseys are different. Same coach though.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-03-2011, 04:12 AM
I don't remember Gonzaga having a star center between Turiaf/Batista and Sacre this year. Care to remind me of what I'm forgetting?

Kuso

VaBeachZAG
02-03-2011, 04:43 AM
So, when we refer to "star center," are we talking in the context of a great post skill set or a great heart? If the former, there was no star center, if the latter, then it definitely was Kuso.

77Zag
02-03-2011, 05:46 AM
I don't remember Gonzaga having a star center between Turiaf/Batista and Sacre this year. Care to remind me of what I'm forgetting?

Will "the Thrill" Foster

bballbeachbum
02-03-2011, 10:47 AM
some interesting historical notes there, Reborn

espn classic is replaying the BIS game vs. Memphis from 2/17/2007 right now. what a game that was! as for that team, not only was there the shroom issues to overcome, but also the hangover from the UCLA game the year before. still believe that 2007 team is the toughest Zag team since the Elite 8group, and is my favorite since that team, too. as for this year's team, we'll see how they respond to their adversity. Pulling for them something fierce.

GO ZAGS!!!

bullzag23
02-03-2011, 11:42 AM
some interesting historical notes there, Reborn

espn classic is replaying the BIS game vs. Memphis from 2/17/2007 right now. what a game that was! as for that team, not only was there the shroom issues to overcome, but also the hangover from the UCLA game the year before. still believe that 2007 team is the toughest Zag team since the Elite 8group, and is my favorite since that team, too. as for this year's team, we'll see how they respond to their adversity. Pulling for them something fierce.

GO ZAGS!!!

Just to be nitpicky we've never played Memphis in the BIS. They only play us in the Spokane Arena and the FedEx Forum.

bballbeachbum
02-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Just to be nitpicky we've never played Memphis in the BIS. They only play us in the Spokane Arena and the FedEx Forum.

you are correct! it was the Spokane arena, my bad

Zag4Hire
02-03-2011, 01:59 PM
7/11

The 07 season began with high hopes, and the fans thought we had a real good team. And then the fiasco with the mushrooms happened, and a couple players were kicked off the team. One of them was a pretty good player. ZagNation seemed to have a dark cloud over it. The one all-time conference loss in K2 that the announcers kept talking about during the St Mary's game, (and I remember the game well), took place shortly after the mushroom incindent. We had just beaten St. Mary's without our star center, and Santa Clara was up next and fighting with the Zags for the WCC title. Santa Clara beat the Zags in a hard fought game. The loss to Santa Clara was a downer, and the the mood after that loss felt like the mood after the St. Mary's game last week. The following week, the Zags lost to Memphis by one point in the Spokane Arena at the end of the game, pretty much the way McConnell beat us at the buzzer the other night. I was at that Memphis game, and the crowd sat stunned for a long time after the game. It was so loud in the arena that evening, I thought I might pass out. After the Memphis loss the Zags had lost 3 out of 4 (it included a loss at LMU), and the fans began to wonder if this would be the first time that the Zags would NOT make it to the NCAA tournament in March.

After that game the Zags ran the table and won the WCC after Santa Clara lost both their games the last weekend of the season. It was a huge surprise. The run began with a win at Portland.

Also that season the Zags had a 4 game losing streak during the non-conference season. And like I said earllier, they had another sreak of losing 3 of 4 during conference (however one of those games was to Memphis and OOC game). The Zags lost 11 games that year and most likely would not have gone to the Big Dance in March if they had not won the WCC tournament by defeating Santa Clara in the finals by 9 points.

In falling well short of expectations, yes. I couldn't circle one win this season that was the equivalent of beating UNC at MSG. That was an epic win. But I would kill for 2007's backcourt and the determination they exhibited that season from the likes of Raivio and Pendo.