PDA

View Full Version : No three quarter press this year?

BCZag
01-31-2011, 07:56 PM
I don't remember seeing a press used by the Zags this year. The press never seemed to cause many turnovers in the past, but it did seem to change the pace of games, and seemed to get opponents to get out of their more confortable sets. Any thoughts on why we (I) haven't seen a 3/4 press this year?

Pargo the Destroyer
01-31-2011, 08:18 PM
I thought this team would be able to press like crazy this year but we haven't seen it like I thought we would. Deferring to the coaches on this one, if they were comfortable doing it I'm sure it would be done.

FlyZag
01-31-2011, 08:39 PM
Good question...

Merely a guess.. but I notice that sometimes when the press is broken teams give up easy baskets. Maybe the thought is to get back and play defense because the press wasn't successful at creating enough turnovers to offset the poor scoring defense once broken.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-01-2011, 05:05 AM
It would seem that a team with this many long, athletic defenders on the wings and forward spots and with as much speed as Goodson has at the point would be a great roster for running a full court or 3/4 trapping press. One of the reasons that teams don't press is because presses tend to tire players and players tend to pick up more fouls. A team with a long bench, like Gonzaga, would also seem to be better able to mitigate those problems.

I suspect that this team is not running a press because it had so many problems with transition defense in the early part of the season. Remember when all of those early opponents were murdering the Zag defense with transition three-point shots? My guess is that the coaches made a point of getting back on defense and shutting down the three-point line as the bigger defensive priority than forcing turnovers in the open floor.

hooter73
02-01-2011, 06:54 AM
It would seem that a team with this many long, athletic defenders on the wings and forward spots and with as much speed as Goodson has at the point would be a great roster for running a full court or 3/4 trapping press. One of the reasons that teams don't press is because presses tend to tire players and players tend to pick up more fouls. A team with a long bench, like Gonzaga, would also seem to be better able to mitigate those problems.

I suspect that this team is not running a press because it had so many problems with transition defense in the early part of the season. Remember when all of those early opponents were murdering the Zag defense with transition three-point shots? My guess is that the coaches made a point of getting back on defense and shutting down the three-point line as the bigger defensive priority than forcing turnovers in the open floor.

I've been waiting for the Full press since December but this^^^ is the best answer out there as to why we havent seen it. Too bad because we used to be fairly successful by at least disrupting the opposition with the press.

Hoopaholic
02-01-2011, 07:09 AM
I think it boils down to the "rotating" 3 slot and lack of consistency from this position. Each of the three are not up to par with area responsibilities, fundamental shifts and in tune with movements (players tied on a string) that are so critical to the press

7ICoug
02-01-2011, 07:16 AM
This is too easy to answer. GU is starting 1 center 2 forwards and 2 guards this year and last year you were 3 guards with Grey, Bouldin, and Goodson.

Too much size to play very effective presses this year with the lineup you are starting.

hooter73
02-01-2011, 10:05 AM
dont tell me that between Manny, Gray, Goodson and Keita you couldnt get a combo that can trap and recover.

BCZag
02-01-2011, 09:19 PM
I've got to believe they have run their trap with a lot less athletic players than they have on the roster today.