http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Pretty interesting..

EuroZag2010
01-31-2011, 09:38 AM
Fuskies!!! Hahaha

Das Zagger
01-31-2011, 09:42 AM
Fuskies!!! Hahaha

I said this last year and I'll say it again, I'll give my right kidney to have GU and UW meet in the NCAA tourney.

EuroZag2010
01-31-2011, 09:46 AM
I agree whether we win or not it would be a huge game !!!

zagzilla
01-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Thank goodness for NCAA tourney expansion to 68 teams

U Zig, I Zag
01-31-2011, 09:59 AM
If we get in as a last four will our name have an * asterisk next to in the record books? That's very Bonds/McGwire of us.

Zagdawg
01-31-2011, 10:23 AM
The question is --would romar ask to opt out as he would like to get better exposed nationally (or were they looking for more national exposure)?

We could only hope that the tourney committee has a sense of humor.

zagfan08
01-31-2011, 10:40 AM
I posted in the other thread, didn't see this one. Each of the last 3 years I was really hoping to get matched up against UW in the tournament, it would have been a really, really fun game. This year, however, I don't want to give them the satisfaction of beating us so badly. A very athletic team who shoots well from 3... Husky fans would let that game erase what happened the 10 years before it and consider all things equal since they smacked us in the tournament.

Unfortunately, the 'last four in' changes a ton down the stretch, and we only have a couple more games to get a decent win (@ Portland wouldn't hurt, @ St. Mary's would help a little). And then once conference tournaments start there's always the threat of teams unexpectedly winning their tournament, taking away an at-large for someone else.

I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic. I know it's all speculation and means very little, but we don't want to play UW this year and we aren't getting an at-large. So win in Vegas and hope for a better matchup in the tournament.

Edit to add: Also a small chance the committee makes an example out of us and rewards us for our tough schedule. But realistically I've got to think teams will have a better resume than us come mid-March.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-31-2011, 12:00 PM
I honestly can't see this Zag team getting in as an at-large. Their computer profile screams for the NIT and they just don't have enough eye appeal to justify letting them in on style points. I agree with those who have opined that we're likely to be one of the last teams that gets knocked out when some of the conference favorites lose to teams that wouldn't get at-large bids.

If they win the WCC Tourney, they'll probably be in a potentially winnable 11 or 12 seed against a 5 or 6. This team really needs that tournament title.

EngineerZag
01-31-2011, 12:05 PM
IMO we could get an at-large if we win ALL of the remaining regular season games (including Memphis) and lose in the championship final.

MDABE80
01-31-2011, 12:17 PM
We need to win the rest of the games. KenPom has us at 52 and Lunardi has us at a 12 seed as of today. I've seen worse get in the tournament. PLUS...I think the committee does figure in the history of a program.

If we remember, USF and SMC losses were a combined 7 points. We weren't run out of the gym. A bit more tweaking and we can win out.
We do have a decent chance if Few looks hard at a nucleus of Sam, Rob, Elias, Gray and Meech/Stockton. It's a very good 6 player lineup. Besides, it's time Few picks 6 to 8 kids and went with em. Feed those hosses!

U Zig, I Zag
01-31-2011, 12:19 PM
IMO we could get an at-large if we win ALL of the remaining regular season games (including Memphis) and lose in the championship final.

I was not so sure about this over the weekend, but with all the losses and the level of parity that seems to be cropping up in CBK lately anything is possible. If we can win at Morega we will be in good shape. Memphis is down Witherspoon. I think the Arena crowd wills this team to victory. I know people that have paid outrageous prices (me included) for tickets to the Memphis game. These people normally don't get to go and they get excited.

Worst thing about the last 10 seconds of the SMC game? Mickey
Second worst thing: ESPNHD clearly shows the old folks/alumni sitting on their hands while the team is fighting for it's life. It was disgusting.

Everyone think we can get one down at SMC? If we could, it would deflate them a bit - helpful going into the WCC tourney.

Zagquette
01-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Does the expanded tournament help GU? It will be interesting to see how those last seeds are given. It was my understanding that they expanded the tourney to let in more mediocre Major conference teams. Does it improve our chances any?

UberZagFan
01-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Well, if GU gets an at-large than it was expanded . . .

to let in more mediocre mid-Major conference teams.

mdZag23
01-31-2011, 03:26 PM
is not looking so good from a competative standpoint and having a lot of good teams in.

I think a ton of the conferences are really struggling and the at-large situation is dicey at best.

Big East might get the whole conference in the tourney:)

Reborn
01-31-2011, 03:30 PM
I'll say one thing. Gonzaga had better stat winning. And we had better start showing we can win on the road. We get our first test on Thursday. I"d say if we don't win both games this week we are out next week.

3 teams, however, that we have beaten are ranked ahead of us. I don't get that, accept that they are beating people, including ranked opponents. Gonzaga is not beating anyone with any real significance.

kclubfounder
01-31-2011, 04:01 PM
"3 teams, however, that we have beaten are ranked ahead of us. I don't get that"

Come on. That is a ridiculous factor. Everybody has good wins, bad losses, ugly wins, and great losses. You look at the body of work.

What these bracketologists are showing us is that we aren't in as bad a shape as we think.

If we don't start playing better, I WANT to be in the NIT.

If we DO start playing better, I want to be in the NCAA.

The great news is that it appears we WILL get in the NCAA if we DO start playing better.

Clearly, unless Lunardi is a fool who doesn't understand how the brackets are determined, we DO NOT need to win out.

Just as clear, we better start playing better and we better at least come close to winning out.

btzag
01-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Well I've said it in past years and it's still the case this year; Lunardi focuses almost exclusively on his computer rankings and S-curve values and not "feelings" or "this conf should get this many teams".

This is all very good for the Zags. Lunardi would not have us in just based on name alone so there is something to that ranking.

Plus look at those 8 teams below us... Georgia, Baylor, Penn State, Richmond and then UAB, Maryland, George Mason, Duquesne.

Do you really think ANY of those teams is better than the Zags? Do you think ANY of those teams have played the schedule of the Zags?

Not even close...Zags should be in right now. That being said, please go on a nice little 11 game winning streak right now!

maynard g krebs
01-31-2011, 04:08 PM
The question is --would romar ask to opt out as he would like to get better exposed nationally (or were they looking for more national exposure)?

No, but he'd ask that it be played as a best of three in Key Arena.