PDA

View Full Version : Gary Bell Tonights Game

Zig-Zag
01-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Kentridge 61 Kentwood 54

When I watched Gary play Kentwood 6 weeks ago I was very impressed they double teamed alot he never forced anything and got the ball to the open man. Crunch time arrived last couple mins and took over and won the game.

Tonight was off night for him. First half threw up shots from everywhere forced nearly everything went 0 for 4 from 3pt line not alot better from inside 6 pts. Second half settled down concentrated on driving the lane, 5 for 7 from charity stripe, ended with 19 pts, 7 for 20 fg, 5 rebounds, 4 assits, 4 turn overs, 2 steels. He is a man among boys. Kentridge should have won by 20 but alot of sloppy play. I chatted with Gary and Donnie Daniels after game he is he is great young man. Donnie sat with Gary's parents during the game. Gary told me he can't wait to get to Gonzaga.

sullyzag66
01-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Kentridge 61 Kentwood 54

When I watched Gary play Kentwood 6 weeks ago I was very impressed they double teamed alot he never forced anything and got the ball to the open man. Crunch time arrived last couple mins and took over and won the game.

Tonight was off night for him. First half threw up shots from everywhere forced nearly everything went 0 for 4 from 3pt line not alot better from inside 6 pts. Second half settled down concentrated on driving the lane, 5 for 7 from charity stripe, ended with 19 pts, 7 for 20 fg, 5 rebounds, 4 assits, 4 turn overs, 2 steels. He is a man among boys. Kentridge should have won by 20 but alot of sloppy play. I chatted with Gary and Donnie Daniels after game he is he is great young man. Donnie sat with Gary's parents during the game. Gary told me he can't wait to get to Gonzaga.
Can he be there tomorrow?

maynard g krebs
01-29-2011, 01:37 AM
I attended tonight's game. My thoughts:

First, I disagree that KR should have won by 20. Kentwood is a good team too, and though they have no one like GB, they have better depth and more athletes than Kentridge IMO.

Gary's off night shooting the ball was largely due to the KR defense. They started out in man, but whenever GB tried to drive, the nearest ball side defender would double on him. In the 2nd quarter KW went to a 1-2-2 zone, with 2 guys on top doubling GB when he got the ball above the circle.He did force a few 3's a bit, but it should be noted that he also got the ball to Westendorf in scoring position several times. Westendorf scored 13 in the first quarter and had 19 at the half, giving KR a 28-20 halftime lead. And his team only has two scorers, so he has to force it a bit at times. He won't have to do that in college.

KW had closed to 23-20 late in the 2nd with the zone, but GB found Westendorf for an open 3, then got a steal near the baseline and went coast to coast for a big slam and momentum change.

In the second half the little guard, Daniels(?) got hot. He was scoreless in the 1st half, but hit a jumper and got a tipin late in the third I think. After that Gary found him in the corner for an open 3 that swished. Westendorf had cooled some by then, so again Gary did a nice job of recognizing the hot hand when doubled.

I paid closer attention to GB's defense this time, since some posters questioned it at the Auburn game. I was very impressed tonight. He started out guarding KW's cat-quick 5'8 pg, and kept him from doing anything to initiate KW's offense, making him give up the ball way out on top. IMO that was a key factor in KW's 20 pt first half total. A couple times KR went to a 3/4 court 1-3-1 trap, with GB in the middle, when they were struggling offensively. Gary was really quick to double the ball near the sideline, and the trap got a couple to's.

One more thing. 5-7 on ft's tonite, but he shoots them really flat. Either they go in or they clang. Haven't yet seen him put up a soft one that hits front rim, bounces and drops. If he's gonna be an 80% ft shooter (which he can be) he's gotta change that.

Oops, two more things. He pushes the ball up the floor really, really fast in transition, and does it through traffic

ZagNative
01-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Bumping. The in-person evaluations in this thread are too good to be missed.

Gary plays at Kentlake tonight. Kentlake was their only conference loss (57-62), with the exception of a forfeiture to Jefferson their first game, due to an ineligible player being on their roster.