PDA

View Full Version : I stand by my assertion

ronh_pm
01-28-2011, 10:10 PM
St. Marys has still not had a win over a good team.

Gonzaga is in a funk and it starts in the coaches box, works it's way through Gray and then to the rest of the team. There is zero cohesiveness between any of the parts and even if players are on the same page it is from a different book.

I thought after the Santa Clara game that things were a mess as far as roles go and how the coaches were using the bench. After USF, clearly a game that Gonzaga should have the skill, talent and experience to win it was worse and with this debacle at home things have taken a total nosedive. I'm not talking players. I'm talking team.

Sorry folks. St. Marys won and deservedly so, but they did not beat a good team. They beat a team that has no confidence, no swagger and no identify and that more postional questions right now that it had before its first OOC game in November.

There is something going on that is beyond us fans to know but until it is corrected every game save perhaps San Diego will be a pick 'em.

ronh_pm
01-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Gonzaga really hasn't beaten a good team either. St. Mary's is just the better team. This season sucks as far as lofty expectations go, but I'm looking for silver linings.

Agreed, agreed, agreed and agreed again.

I was never one of the final four touters but I did believe on any given night this team could compete with anyone in conference or out.

It seems to me all the pieces are they layed out in a mess on the table. Every now and then a "Few" of the pieces connect in the puzzle but the overall picture has yet to completed.

MJ777
01-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Agreed, agreed, agreed and agreed again.

I was never one of the final four touters but I did believe on any given night this team could compete with anyone in conference or out.

It seems to me all the pieces are they layed out in a mess on the table. Every now and then a "Few" of the pieces connect in the puzzle but the overall picture has yet to completed.

This years version of the Zags is like that old puzzle box in the closet. It has some additional pieces from other puzzles in it, but is missing pieces from the puzzle pictured on the box. Hopefully Few can get the pieces to work together somehow to start another run. USD should be a good confidence builder....Gulp.

jim77
01-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Normally we have 7 or so players that are clearly superior so the coach doesn't do a lot of subbing. This year we have 10 or so who are worthy of minutes. At times the depth has worked to our advantage other times it causes non-cohesiveness....its actually kind of a tough call for the coach.

So where do the Zags go from here? Believe it or not I think the pressure has dropped....rankings...conference championships.....now its only about making the dance. This fan won't miss the championship much if the Zags are dancing.

To me the lone consistant bright spot is BIG ROB.....and we need to build the team and strategy pretty much around him. The amazing part is he's pretty much alone under the hoop fending for himself. He needs help....and last night we had a big man drop 15 on the Gaels before they knew what happened. The help needs to be SAM...we are a big team and we need to start playing like it. We knew that St Mary's was weak inside and yet we let them off of the hook....Vandy did not. Remember the days of Cory and Ronny? Well its time to play to win not to try not to lose.....we also have 2 guys playing out of position which is preventing us from playing to our strengths.

Both Steven and Elias are out of position. Steven Gray is NOT a PG, he's a SG and he performs much better in that role....he's not Matt, quit acting like he is. Elias is an athlete, not a banger....he needs space do do his thing. There's not a 3 in the conference thats even close to being able to handle him. The lineup should look like this....ROB...SAM.....ELIAS.....STEVEN.....STOCKTO N/Meech/Carter....Let Stockton Start.

The frustrating thing for me about the 3 losses is the fact that we could have totally dominated them on the inside yet we are trying to out finnesse teams who we should be playing power ball with....NONE of those teams physically or athletically match up. What do you think is gonna happen when SAM and Rob play side by side? (It would have been Randy Bennett's worst nightmare) I'll tell you what is going to happen...it'll take 3 guys to cover those 2 and 1 to make sure Stockton doen't carve them up....that leaves Elias and SG to go wild....and I suspect we'll dominate the boards too. The coach needs to quit worrying about Rob fouling out and worry about winning..besides we have plenty of good guys waiting for minutes. We are 22 games in and we got 6 or so practice games before we win the conference championship.....time for coach Few to play some old school ball.