PDA

View Full Version : Spangler Tonight in Jones America

Birddog
01-28-2011, 07:51 PM
I finally had a chance to see Ryan Spangler up close and personal in a local HS BB game, well almost a game. Apparently the Jones coach saw that story on Yahoo about the Texas school that played stall ball to have a chance to win. Jones took the air out of the ball tonight and for awhile kept their possesions to about 2 mins each. Bridge Creek went on to win 27/17, but the score after 3 was 16/13 BC and Jones crawled to 16/15 early in the 4th before BC was able to open it back up.

This was some pretty pathetic basketball to say the least. Ryan wasn't able to fill the stat sheet as no one took any shots. My stats show Ryan as 2 for 3 on FGs, 3 for 3 on FTs, 2 RBs, 2 Blocks, 1 steal. Both of Ryan's FGs were thunder dunks, the boy can play above the rim. I'm sure OK-Zagfan will chime in with his stats too.

Ryan is a man among boys on the court, both in stature and skills. Jones had a guard with some skills and little supporting cast save for a guy about 6'3" and 300 lbs that hung all over Ryan. Actually "the load" as I called him had no BB skills either, but he was a factor because of his size. Apparently he is headed to Texas Tech on a footie schollie to be a lineman.

Ryan's team didn't exactly have a bunch of talent either, they couldn't feed the post or threaten from 3. One guy was a fair ball handler and there was a kid who played forward that was about 6'5".

I tried to look at this open minded. Ryan is a big kid with very fluid movements. He is well proportioned and is actually kinda graceful on the floor. He seems to have good speed and quickness. I never got to see him post up, it just didn't happen. His mid range and long range shot has a flattish arc, but in shoot around, he makes a lot of em. He made a couple of athletic moves to save balls inbounds, and he can put the ball on the floor. He made an open court steal and took it in for a dunk, and he made 1 or 2 deflections that turned positive for BC. The guy that went with me thought he handled the ball as well as anyone on the team and I wouldn't disagree. He made a couple of open court spin moves that weren't jaw dropping, but were close. I think maybe they weren't jaw dropping because he made it look effortless.

We arrived at the game about 20 mins before tip off and took seats. I was wearing a Zag shirt and within a minute or so the guy behind me asked if I was a Zag fan. I replied that I was a graduate and that yes I was a fan. He held up his Zag hoodie and introduced himself as Larry Spangler, Ryan's dad. I met LeeAnn, Ryan's mom and Ryan too. Good people, they'll make great fans and supporters. I also met OK-Zagfan. Ryan is a great kid, unpretentious and confident. Larry told me he was a legit 6'8" barefoot, and oh BTW, he has a 4.2 GPA.

I have no idea whether he is a candidate to RS. You just can't tell against talent like this. It will take some bangin' with Rob and Sam to sort that out. I will go out on a limb and say that he will be a contributor and solid performer as a Zag. I'm planning on going to another game in about 10 days, maybe they'll play basketball at that one.

ZagNative
01-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Fun to read, BirdDog! Thanks! Neat that you got to meet the Spanglers and for them to see a Zag fan in the house.

hooter73
01-28-2011, 08:26 PM
If he can go one on one I have visions of ryan playing more of a power 4 akin to harris.

thespywhozaggedme
01-28-2011, 09:11 PM
I finally had a chance to see Ryan Spangler up close and personal in a local HS BB game, well almost a game. Apparently the Jones coach saw that story on Yahoo about the Texas school that played stall ball to have a chance to win. Jones took the air out of the ball tonight and for awhile kept their possesions to about 2 mins each. Bridge Creek went on to win 27/17, but the score after 3 was 16/13 BC and Jones crawled to 16/15 early in the 4th before BC was able to open it back up.

This was some pretty pathetic basketball to say the least. Ryan wasn't able to fill the stat sheet as no one took any shots. My stats show Ryan as 2 for 3 on FGs, 3 for 3 on FTs, 2 RBs, 2 Blocks, 1 steal. Both of Ryan's FGs were thunder dunks, the boy can play above the rim. I'm sure OK-Zagfan will chime in with his stats too.

Ryan is a man among boys on the court, both in stature and skills. Jones had a guard with some skills and little supporting cast save for a guy about 6'3" and 300 lbs that hung all over Ryan. Actually "the load" as I called him had no BB skills either, but he was a factor because of his size. Apparently he is headed to Texas Tech on a footie schollie to be a lineman.

Ryan's team didn't exactly have a bunch of talent either, they couldn't feed the post or threaten from 3. One guy was a fair ball handler and there was a kid who played forward that was about 6'5".

I tried to look at this open minded. Ryan is a big kid with very fluid movements. He is well proportioned and is actually kinda graceful on the floor. He seems to have good speed and quickness. I never got to see him post up, it just didn't happen. His mid range and long range shot has a flattish arc, but in shoot around, he makes a lot of em. He made a couple of athletic moves to save balls inbounds, and he can put the ball on the floor. He made an open court steal and took it in for a dunk, and he made 1 or 2 deflections that turned positive for BC. The guy that went with me thought he handled the ball as well as anyone on the team and I wouldn't disagree. He made a couple of open court spin moves that weren't jaw dropping, but were close. I think maybe they weren't jaw dropping because he made it look effortless.

We arrived at the game about 20 mins before tip off and took seats. I was wearing a Zag shirt and within a minute or so the guy behind me asked if I was a Zag fan. I replied that I was a graduate and that yes I was a fan. He held up his Zag hoodie and introduced himself as Larry Spangler, Ryan's dad. I met LeeAnn, Ryan's mom and Ryan too. Good people, they'll make great fans and supporters. I also met OK-Zagfan. Ryan is a great kid, unpretentious and confident. Larry told me he was a legit 6'8" barefoot, and oh BTW, he has a 4.2 GPA.

I have no idea whether he is a candidate to RS. You just can't tell against talent like this. It will take some bangin' with Rob and Sam to sort that out. I will go out on a limb and say that he will be a contributor and solid performer as a Zag. I'm planning on going to another game in about 10 days, maybe they'll play basketball at that one.

As soon as I read this, my immediate thought was, "Oh, so he'll fit right in", :D. Thanks for the update, btw. I really wish high school would adopt a shot clock.

webspinnre
01-28-2011, 10:42 PM
27-17? Argh, what a miserable game to have to watch. So yeah, they only lost by 10, but they also got outscored by 60% (roughly akin to losing 80-50).

Birddog
01-29-2011, 03:30 AM
Can't read too much into anything though, but I have high hopes.

This is where it should be for Ryan and all the other PSA's.
In this particular case the talent surrounding Ryan on both sides was pretty mediocre as I suspected and have posted about previously. Most of the other kids on the court last night will be challenged to be good intramural players in college while Ryan is clearly D1 talent.

Mr Spangler explained that in their recent loss to Duncan, Duncan played a variation on the box and 1. The box was on Ryan and the one was guarding the floor. He said that BC just went cold and couldn't hit a shot in the 4th quarter. I believe it after watching last night.

On a couple of occasions last night, they tried to feed Ryan, but their passes were intercepted or deflected because the BC players just didn't have the timing or skill to thread the ball inside. Some of that innability could be attributed to the Jones "denial" defense. They were fronting Ryan with 2 or 3 guys when he tried to get inside.

Mr Spangler said that in a game against Lexington, the Lexington coach put an "enforcer" type guy on Ryan as part of a double team. Apparently the enforcer guy got so chippy and thuggish that the Lexington fans started booing their own team. The mugging finally stopped after several fans left their seats and confronted the Superintendent who was at the game and said they were embarassed about their team's play. I suspect Ryan and Bridge creek will see some more junk defense as teams desparately try to qualify for districts in February. I should point out that in my own limited view and in that of other BC fans who've seen many games, Ryan takes all this in stride and maintains his cool/poise.

CanadianZagFan
01-29-2011, 04:37 AM

This is nice, I thought he may be a little shorter, but that is legit size for a 4 and he will be bale to guard most NCAA centers as well.

ZagNative
01-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Bumping. Birddog's thoughtful analysis is too good to let sink too quickly in gameday hubub.

maynard g krebs
01-29-2011, 01:11 PM
After watching Gary Bell push the ball on the break against a good, athletic Kentwood team last night, I'm really excited about the thought of a dominant rebounder who can throw the quick outlet pass to GB or KP. When these guys are sophs, we are gonna see a team that is a nightmare in transition for opponents.

I don't expect too much from them as frosh. They're not Terrence Jones or Kyrie Irving or Josh Selby, but give em a year to adjust and it's gonna be really exciting to watch.