PDA

View Full Version : GU Post-Mortem

Zag4Hire
01-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Well, that f'ing sucked. I pretty much couldn't sleep and I have been trying to avoid the boards all day. I didn't want to see unbridled bashing (yes, there is a difference between criticism (dower sitting, no full court press, etc.) vs attempting to sink the ship bashing. I kept thinking how did the rest of the WCC just absolutely get the jump on this war machine known as GU hoops. I mean I felt like the GU masses looked and felt like the warden in Shawshank Redemption when Dufresne has flown the coop and taken him down. How could this have happened? Wasn't this team JUST riding a nice win streak with some quality wins over teams slated to make the tourney? How did it go so wrong so fast? I mean I just keep thinking about the Roman Empire. They just absolutely battered and bruised all kinds of people forever. Sure they took a few licks here and there but they dominated. Then it came crumbling down. Almost like the familiarity itself assisted the foe with arriving at the answer. Sure this is a bit of hyperbole but could we expect RB to remain winless at the Kennel? Could expect Keating not to finally beat Gonzaga? Did we expect GU to continue with league title after league title? Is the other streak of making the NCAA tourney in serious danger? I don't know about you guys but I thoroughly enjoyed the ride and will continue to enjoy the ride. Hey, I screamed my heart out last night at the TV for all poor ref calls and Farnham's love for SMC. I am mad and still mad. Season ain't over yet and these guys along with Few and his staff need to right the ship. If all else fails, put together a good string of wins in the WCC tourney and keep that streak alive. Just some food for thought: Izzo is going through an absolutely horrible year and they are dropping games to teams they used to pummel. Heck, Lucious was even dismissed from the team. But would you get rid of Izzo or question his motives (not his moves)?

One last thing that kept bothering me. What is the stat breakdown problem with this team? They make free throws, can make plenty of field goals, and can light it up from 3 on occassion but this team never goes on that GU type run, perhaps since during the Wake Forest game. The thing that I keep pointing back to are these absolutely atrocious turnovers that I can't recall a GU team making. Sure, SMC had about three last night but GU had way too many (Meech's close quarters pass to off uncontested that goes out of bounds, Sacre's pass goes out of bounds when player was on the move and not looking for ball, Harris forcing the action, etc.). This team seems to make about 5 or 6 of these a game. Are they not on the same page? Is it due to the rotation of too many players? Needless to say, I am EAGERLY anticipating next year's batch of young guns.

Hoopaholic
01-28-2011, 12:11 PM
isnt your last sentence Akin to the position that the ship is sinking this year?

Zag4Hire
01-28-2011, 12:25 PM
isnt your last sentence Akin to the position that the ship is sinking this year?

I wouldn't say that. The team needs to make some corrections. This is still the team that has some notable wins and I feel is plenty capable of winning some big games including @ Moraga and the WCC tourney. That said, with all the threads and news regarding the incoming recruiting class, I am very excited about their potential.

Reborn
01-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Great thread,Zag4Hire. I felt the same way. I couldn't sleep either. I had a deep knawing pain in my gut that just wouldn't go away. That is two very,very close games that the Zags let slip away in a row. Im just not used to these kinds of finishes. And 3 in row in just really tough. And to think we got beat in K2 is just unimaginable. But its been that kind of year. Kansas' home court winning streak came to an end too. This Zag team has had more firsts on the negative side of things then I can handle.

I do wonder from time to time why it hurts so much when we lose. I was looking at a video on the thread about famous speeches and watched one of General Patton. He said that Americans love winning. He said we always have. That's also a pretty good reason why those two young announcers of the game where glowing about St. Mary's all night long. I think next to winning, the next most important thing to Americans is to see a king dethroned, and witness the rise of another team. This is what is happening in the WCC whether we like it or not.

Most close games between two teams playing for first place come down to the last 3 or 4 minutes of the game. St. Mary's clearly outplayed Gonzaga in the last 3 minutes. USF and Santa Clara did the same. Our stars are not out-performing the stars on the other teams. There is only one thing that I feel good about and that is that there is a lot of time to get it right.

DCZag
01-28-2011, 01:06 PM
I too, have been avoiding the board all day. I am an unabashed homer and will never disparage my team - but I am as frustrated I've ever been. We go 4-5, then win 9, now lose 3 in a row in the conference. Consistency has been lacking, to say the least.

But I'm not ready to write the boys off just yet, lots of ball still to play. We have 10 games left plus the tourney, so a 20+ win season is still a strong possibility. And we're in the dance if we win in Vegas. So I'll bide my time and see where the next few weeks. I ain't gonna cash 'em in yet.

Great thing about college BBall -it truly ain't over 'til it's over.

So Post-Mortem, nah. Life support, yep. But I ain't pullin' the plug.....

Hoopaholic
01-28-2011, 01:08 PM
and we have another game facing us tomorrow

UberZagFan
01-28-2011, 01:10 PM
How did it go so wrong so fast? I mean I just keep thinking about the Roman Empire. They just absolutely battered and bruised all kinds of people forever. Sure they took a few licks here and there but they dominated. Then it came crumbling down.

The Roman Empire wasn't built in a day and it certainly didn't fall in a day. It's more likely we are witnessing the reign of Caligua than the reign of Romulus Augustulus...

Zag4Hire
01-28-2011, 01:20 PM
I too, have been avoiding the board all day. I am an unabashed homer and will never disparage my team - but I am as frustrated I've ever been. We go 4-5, then win 9, now lose 3 in a row in the conference. Consistency has been lacking, to say the least.

But I'm not ready to write the boys off just yet, lots of ball still to play. We have 10 games left plus the tourney, so a 20+ win season is still a strong possibility. And we're in the dance if we win in Vegas. So I'll bide my time and see where the next few weeks. I ain't gonna cash 'em in yet.

Great thing about college BBall -it truly ain't over 'til it's over.

So Post-Mortem, nah. Life support, yep. But I ain't pullin' the plug.....

Yeah, not cashing in as well. This team has tons of fight and they aren't playing horribly by any stretch, they just need to tighten up the defense and work for the better shot on more possessions.

Zag4Hire
01-28-2011, 01:29 PM
The Roman Empire wasn't built in a day and it certainly didn't fall in a day. It's more likely we are witnessing the reign of Caligua than the reign of Romulus Augustulus...

Thanks Uber and good knowledge drops. GU did build this national program over the course of a decade and it seems, at least for the immediate future, to be a GU-BYU-SMC league for the next few years. The utter domination appears to be gone but GU will definitely be a major force not only in the WCC but the national scene. Perhaps it is unavoidable. In short, you can only pummel a team, year in and year out, so many times before they get the better of you. It was a very short list of teams that dominated this long so I appreciate the achievement for all of its worth.