PDA

View Full Version : Jim Meehan's Day After St. Mary's at GU

ZagNative
01-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Spokesman-Review (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2011/jan/28/day-after-saint-marys/)
—Gonzaga made another change to the starting lineup, inserting Mathis Mönninghoff over Mathis Keita or Manny Arop. The three have basically split that starting spot all season, so that wasn’t a big surprise. The surprise was that neither Keita nor Arop played in the game, even with Gray in foul trouble for much of the second half. It was Arop’s first DNP of the season and Keita’s first since Baylor on Dec. 18.

It was Mönninghoff’s first start since Lafayette on Dec. 29. I’m guessing the thinking was to get another perimeter shooter (not Keita’s specialty) on the floor against a defense that might try to pack inside on Sacre and Harris. Probably the same reason Mönninghoff came in late (2:40-ish remaining) with the Gaels determined not to let Sacre operate one-on-one inside at crunch time.

In my rush after the game, I forgot to ask Few about Arop and Keita, but I checked this morning and was told it was strictly a coaches’ decision. Both players are healthy.
Sam Dower, meanwhile, nearly single-handedly brought the Zags back from a six-point deficit in the second half. He finished with 13 second-half points, including a nine-point spurt in roughly 3:30. Dower picked up two early fouls, but was solid at both ends of the floor in the second half. He also had five boards to go with his 15 points in 16 minutes.

“I just knew Saint Mary’s was going to bring it and give it their all so I came in thinking I had to match that or beat their mentality,” Dower said. “That’s what I tried to do, but we ended up coming up short.”

Dower added two more field goals later in the half.

“I was just feeding off the crowd,” he said. “That’s what I’m here for, to bring energy, get some rebounds. Luckily I got some rebounds, hit some big shots, but this game is over now. It’s on to the next game.”

Few was impressed with the contributions of Dower and Carter, who have played limited minutes much of the season.

“To come in and make plays in a tight game like that … and for Marquise to make those two free throws when you haven’t been playing long stretches of game, he deserves a lot of credit,” Few said. “And Stocks gave us great minutes.”

Of Dower, Few said: “I’m really proud of him. We kept telling him and talking to him that sooner of later it’s going to be his time. He’s been so positive. He’s playing behind a really good player (Sacre). For him to give us a lift like that in a game like this was really impressive.”

Dower came on after Sacre picked up his third foul with 14:48 left. The Gaels quickly built their lead to six and the Zags were forced to bring Sacre back in. However, he was stuck at the scorer’s table because there wasn’t a break in the action. With Dower draining shots, when Sacre finally got into the game it was for Harris, not Dower.Tons more in Jim's post here (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2011/jan/28/day-after-saint-marys/), along with links to other interesting stories and the game photo album from Dan Pelle.

zagzilla
01-28-2011, 11:11 AM
So if there was a disciplinary or health reason for the DNP's, then Few's not admitting it.

Which leave us with the notion that sitting Keita and Arop in the biggest game in the KC in years was just the coaches decision.

Curiouser and curiouser......Not sure if that makes me feel better or worse. Glad they're healthy, though

ZZ

ZagNative
01-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Apparently, Few said they were healthy, as I read the story.

Incidentally, the Dan Pelle photo album Jim's story links only has three photos in it. This one has 16 photos. (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/jan/27/st-marys-sends-zags-down-third-consecutive-loss/?photos).

madness
01-28-2011, 01:04 PM
So if Gray/Harris/Sacre were a healthy scratch then the media would just accept no comment from Few or the coaching staff as well? These are good guys and do not hold back info. I let Coach Rice cut in front of me at the Cab Line in Vegas after the Semis and quickly asked how Gray was doing. He replied in great detail that Gray was banged up pretty bad, but the bigger loss was Manny with a broken foot. Everyone in the line literally gasped as he jumped in the cab.

Now Manny sits the bench for the entire SMC game and still no comment to the beat reporter for the team? This is a bigger story than it seems and I hope Jim gets to the bottom of it today.

thespywhozaggedme
01-28-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm calling bull on this every day and twice on Sunday, but whatever.

madness
01-28-2011, 01:15 PM
BS on my statement or Few's?

thespywhozaggedme
01-28-2011, 02:08 PM
BS on my statement or Few's?

Sorry about that, lol. No, I'm calling bull that both of them wer a healthy scratch. Few's not so prideful that he's gonna cut off his nose to spite his face by sitting two of our best bench players in the biggest game of the year. If anyone thinks that he willingly chose to have Meech, Marquise and Stockton in the game when Gray fouled out, then there're gullible at best.

Hoopaholic
01-28-2011, 02:09 PM
aint passing the smell test.....and is leaving a real foul taste in my mouth

Guess we will see Tomorrow night....

MedZag
01-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Of Dower, Few said: “I’m really proud of him. We kept telling him and talking to him that sooner of later it’s going to be his time. He’s been so positive. He’s playing behind a really good player (Sacre). For him to give us a lift like that in a game like this was really impressive.”

Still have no idea why Sacre/Dower is an either/or thing. Should be an and/or thing.

webspinnre
01-28-2011, 04:12 PM
I think its more of a pick 2 thing out of Sacre, Elias and Dower.

jazzdelmar
01-28-2011, 05:49 PM
maybe Pulitzer Meehan, the reluctant newshound, will eventually extract the story from St. Few.....don't count on it, tho.....

sullyzag66
01-28-2011, 06:31 PM
maybe Pulitzer Meehan, the reluctant newshound, will eventually extract the story from St. Few.....don't count on it, tho.....
My money's on Heister during "The Mark Few Show".

sittingon50
01-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Sully, I'm hoping that's sarcasm.

:)

sullyzag66
01-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Sully, I'm hoping that's sarcasm.

:)
I was going to add :rolleyes:, but I didn't think I needed to.

RenoZag
01-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Still have no idea why Sacre/Dower is an either/or thing. Should be an and/or thing.

Dower is no softie. He gets in there and mixes it up.

My hope for next year's sake is that Few uses the remaining games this year to invest in meaningful minutes for Arop, Dower, and Keita. They can be the core of the '11-'12 squad. There may be hope for M'Hoff too but he's this year's Bol Kong. . .