PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to St. Mary's

Reborn
01-28-2011, 10:18 AM
This loss is a hard one to stomach, but in the end St. Mary's did what they had to do to win, and Gonzaga did not. They got it done in the last 3 minutes and GU did not. The same can be said in the game at USF and Santa Clara. In all 3 games the Zags did not do what they needed to do to win.

At this point in season St. Mary's is a more confident team than the Zags. Mickey McConnell was clearly the best player on the court last night, and clearly outplayed Steve Gray and Robert Sacre.

McConnell and Gray were the seniors on their teams and it was clear to me that McConnell wanted this game pretty badly. And in the end, the games are often won by the team that wants it more. The game boiled down to the last play of the game, and once again the Zags could not play tough enough defense to make the stop, and McConnell thrusts the dagger into the Zag's heart. Unfortunately for the Zags, one more time they play defense. Meech puts no preassure on McConnell as he comes up the court with 10 seconds left in the game. St. Mary's sets up a pick and roll and Meech doesn't even attempt to fight over the top of the screen, and goes behind the center. Rob does NOT hedge on the play in order to take away McConnells drive, but chooses to play it soft. There is now no way that Sacre is going to stop McConnell. McConnell had Sacre exactly where he wanted him. Sacre was not going to apply any true force against McConnell, he played good defense, got his arms up in the air, but Mc Connell slides to the right of the outstretched arms and sinks the winning shot. In my opinion, a center will never stop a great guard like McConnell on the outside. It's a matchup that ever great guard hopes for. When McConnell saw Meech go behind the screen, I believe he knew the game was over.

On the offensive end, in the last 3 minutes Sacre attempted two horrible shots in which he clearly had no chance of making. On the first he gets a good pass from Stockton, but for some reason Sacre dribbles behind the basket and forces a shot he can not make. On his last attempt of the game, again Sacre gets a nice pass into the low post, and this time he was defended perfectly by Rob Jones. Sacre pulls up his dribble in the middle of the key, falls down backward as he prays he will get a gift from the refs, but it was clearly a fake job by Sacre. Teams do not win games by taking these kinds of shots at the end of a game.

One last point. I was pretty shocked that Stockton, a redshirt freshman off the bench, and was actualy not having a very good offensive game, was chosen to take the last shot for the Zags. I wonder what Harris thought. In case you didn't notice, Harris was playing really good last night. I also wonder what Dower thought as he sat on the bench the last 4 mintutes of the game when he knew he had the hot hand and was clearly carrying the Zags in the 2nd half. LIke many on the Board here, I also question Few's performance last night.

webspinnre
01-28-2011, 10:27 AM
One last point. I was pretty shocked that Stockton, a redshirt freshman off the bench, and was actualy not having a very good offensive game, was chosen to take the last shot for the Zags. I wonder what Harris thought. In case you didn't notice, Harris was playing really good last night. I also wonder what Dower thought as he sat on the bench the last 4 mintutes of the game when he knew he had the hot hand and was clearly carrying the Zags in the 2nd half. LIke many on the Board here, I also question Few's performance last night.

I can't imagine there being any way that the play was drawn up for Stockton taking the shot.

jake
01-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Thank you for this thread. Congrats to St. Mary's. I hope we can turn the tables the second half of league play and carry that right through to Vegas. Time will tell.

Psychozag
01-28-2011, 10:38 AM
They have made themselves into the team of destiny this year. They are just plain better than we are, and the principle reason is Mickey. He was awesome last night. This year they take all the prizes. We have been there before. Congratulations to them. And I am looking forward to next season for revenge...I think they will be in the same position we are in this year when they lose their main guy. I don't know who will replace Mickey, just like I didn't know who would replace Matt. But this year is their's...this is a what-you-see-is-what-you-get year for GU. Go Zags.

FlyZag
01-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Congrats to SMC. They earned it. They are a good team. It wasn't about the refs, or Few's substitutions... It was simply the fact that SMC is a very good team.

Based on the sample of evidence of the two teams, I'm surprised that so many Zag fans didn't see this coming. I know we can be blinded by our loyalty and love for a team. The truth is we've looked pretty awful at times this year. Everyone was saying that because we lost two in the bay we were going to "play harder" because our "backs were against the wall"... implying that they weren't playing hard before??? SMC saw an opportunity to win the league. They played their hearts out and made plays. All credit to them. McConnell hit a tough shot. Sacre played pretty good D on him. Our pre-season showed we are a good but not great team. SMC has shown they are a Very good team.

Tip your hat to them. We will rise again. We will be back.

webspinnre
01-28-2011, 10:49 AM
The good news for them is that they've got Dellavedova behind Mickey, so they'll probably be ok, but you never know, I thought that Gray would cover for Bouldin, and that obviously didnt work out.

pargo4prez
01-28-2011, 11:26 AM
I don't know if any of you were actually at the game last night, but I'm not congratulating any team that turns to the GU student section after they win yelling F*** yea and throwing their hands around at us....not classy, no congrats from me.

zagzilla
01-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Congrats Gaels. Now you will have the bullseye on your backs for a change. We've been carrying it around for a long time. Not as easy as we usually made it look. We'll see how you do....

ZZ

TexasZagFan
01-28-2011, 12:00 PM
I don't know if any of you were actually at the game last night, but I'm not congratulating any team that turns to the GU student section after they win yelling F*** yea and throwing their hands around at us....not classy, no congrats from me.

I understand your point, but I wouldn't expect much different from 18-21 YOs. I remember how nasty I was as a member of the old "Snake Pit".

Rio Runner
01-28-2011, 12:11 PM

Back in 2005, several WCC schools could have said the same thing about Adam Morrison. IMO, it's no big deal.

gamagin
01-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Back in 2005, several WCC schools could have said the same thing about Adam Morrison. IMO, it's no big deal.

we tried to pierce their eardrums. we can take a little payback.

Saxon_zag
01-28-2011, 12:13 PM

Only difference= Adam Morrison was the best player in the nation.

This "team" is a bunch of chuckers that got bailed out by the zebras late.

sittingon50
01-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Nice win, SMC. Gritty performance.

U Zig, I Zag
01-28-2011, 12:32 PM
SMC is a heck of a team. The commentators, probably for the sake of drumming the game up a bit said that the GU/SMC players hate each other, etc. I didn't see that at all. It's hard to hate Rob, Mickey, Steven, Delly, etc. They are all just good kids playing a game they love.

If anything, the FANS of each team hate the other team, but that's always the way it is. :) And EVEN THEN, we really don't hate SMC (nor do they us - though our boards are generally more accommodating and respectful, that's probably because we have a lot more people here and that stands out).

At the USF loss I checked out on the over-emotional side of things. Last night, though disappointing, wasn't that much of a shock. SMC got one on us (first since '98?) and frankly, this may be the worst team we have had since '98.

I don't see SMC stumbling. What they lack down low they make up for with guard play and in the WCC you can do that. Their losses are against superior athleticism. We are more like SDSU than we are SMC. We just can't string together convincing wins (and lately, any kind of win).

The WCC regular season is lost, which is a shame - I wouldn't want to be on the Zags team that drops the streak, but it was bound to happen and I am glad, in a way, that it's happening with this team and the way we are playing. Think of it this way, if we were playing top-notch basketball, incredible stats, etc and we STILL lost the regular season crown - that might be a frightening thing. As it stands now, this is still GU and everyone else. SMC has been knocking on the door and this year they have busted through. We will be back though. Maybe even sneak one out in Moraga? Make some noise in the WCC tourney? Maybe this team needs to be written off and thrown under the bus to be able to gather themselves together and turn it around.

I would love to see another tourney appearance, but short of the WCC tourney win I don't see it happening. Too many bad losses and not taking SMC at home is the nail in the at-large coffin. I will eat crow if that's not the case, but those of you thinking we have an at large are probably leading with your hearts and not your heads (as Zag fans, that's probably the best thing to do though... given the situation).

Right now, in my mind, this situation falls on the shoulders of Mark Few and Steven Gray. I am not privy to the details and the reasons of why certain things happen but I have watched every game this year and something just isn't right with rotations, Steven makes silly, silly plays at times. He is our senior leader and he needs to play with CAUTION and precision, he needs to lead by example. It's just not his personality I guess.

Next year looks good. Harris will be back, we will lose someone I am sure (always seem to the last few years) but the core will be back. Fresh talent on the bench. Sam Dower will be WCC POY by the time he graduates. He is a man beast out there and he plays with fire and a swagger. We got, by all accounts, two excellent guards coming in and some help at several spots.

MM, Keita and all will be better and BOLDER (for f's sake, we need guys with some gumption - never seen so many players scared to have the ball in their hands). KO et al will be better and the man of the WCC, Big Rob will be here to lead us.

This year isn't over, but the horizon looks good.

*ps... not sure what the limit is, but these kids need to spend as much time together over the summer as legally allowed. Eat, sleep, live, play ball, go to movies, everything. I am of the opinion that the international ball does nothing for these kids but wear them out.

Hoopaholic
01-28-2011, 01:16 PM
was a good college basketball game with both sides leaving everything on the court. Congrats SMC and look forward to the game in your house and hopefully a rematch on neutral court in Vegas

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-28-2011, 01:22 PM
The Gaels are like taxes. They're always going to be there, they're always going to be a giant pain in the rear, and they can cause a lot of headaches in March.

bigblahla
01-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Congrats to the victors.

I can't stand the Gaels but respect their talent and teamwork.

Randy Bennett deserved the win, he won and got a ten year old monkey off his back, let's not make a habit of it.

McConnell, Wow, we sure could have used him this year.

Dower and Blackwell of USF are going to have some battles in the games to come.

USF can beat the Gaels they match-up well, whether they will I can't say. We all saw what Foster can do. LMU can ball they just haven't shown it much.

The Gaels might get through unscathed but let's see how they do with a target on their backs for a change.

We lost a close one, another tiny seed in growing our new chip. :clap::pray::clap:

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
01-28-2011, 03:11 PM
randy is a heckuva coach and shld be COY, unless walters edges him.....wcc has got some good ones now -- rb, rex and reveno and maybe maxie....jury out on the pinstripe guy....im afraid griers gone v soon; his ad isnt a patient man....

ZagMan
01-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Congrats to the Gaels, they did play a good game.

ZagNut08
01-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Congrats Gaels. Now you will have the bullseye on your backs for a change. We've been carrying it around for a long time. Not as easy as we usually made it look. We'll see how you do....

ZZ

I almost feel like the bulls eye is bigger than ever on our back. Teams that have been demolished by us for the past 10+ years finaly have a chance to beat us.

Just watch how they still rush the court after beating us, despite being in 4th place, and unranked, with a terrible record.

kclubfounder
01-28-2011, 05:09 PM
They have made themselves into the team of destiny this year. They are just plain better than we are, and the principle reason is Mickey. He was awesome last night. This year they take all the prizes. We have been there before. Congratulations to them. And I am looking forward to next season for revenge...I think they will be in the same position we are in this year when they lose their main guy. I don't know who will replace Mickey, just like I didn't know who would replace Matt. But this year is their's...this is a what-you-see-is-what-you-get year for GU. Go Zags.

I'm actually looking forward to 2/24/11 and hopefully 3/7/11.

Das Zagger
01-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Only difference= Adam Morrison was the best player in the nation.

This "team" is a bunch of chuckers that got bailed out by the zebras late.

Spoken like a true loser. Let's blame the refs when the offense is:

1) Thrown into Sacre, hope he gets fouled on a fade-away jumpshot.

2) Steven Gray taking the ball above the key, lowering his shoulder, and then pushing off with his forearm.

3) Stockton doing something.

I pray to real god that you never represented the scarlet and silver. If you did, Gilman would have nothing to do with you based on what you said.

My god, I hope you didn't go to Ferris and your screen name is just a fluke, please don't say you never went there.

xjzico
01-28-2011, 06:39 PM
The good news for them is that they've got Dellavedova behind Mickey, so they'll probably be ok, but you never know, I thought that Gray would cover for Bouldin, and that obviously didnt work out.
I would love to know what Few's intentions were here or just what exactly happened. Gray's play looks as if he's unprepared for the role and nothing in the previous three years suggests he was being groomed to push into that point role.

jim77
01-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Congrats Gaels....Mr. Bennett has done a super job.

TheBunnieRancher
01-28-2011, 09:22 PM
The Gaels have looked like surgeons in most of the games I have seen this year so I wasn't surprised by last night. They have obviously worked hard to get where they are...congradulations.

sullyzag66
01-28-2011, 09:47 PM
St. Mary's is a very good team and they won a game that could have gone either way. In the end, it really did come down to who had the last possession. They didn't dominate and they won the type of game that the Zags have been successful in winning, especially at home, in the past. I'm looking forward to the next game in Moraga.

Congratulations, St. Mary's, and I don't begrudge you a little attitude toward the student section at the end of the game as I'm confident that you've been on the receiving end of their taunts if they've been performing their task well.

MJ777
01-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Congrats to the Gaels. Mickey was Magical. Amazing that a college with the name of two girls in it could be so good. Did Bennett play college ball at 5' 7"?

I hope SMC enjoys being the Top dog for a little while.

sircreate
01-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Gaels will be good still after Mickey's gone, we'll have Page back and we also have a stud pg transfer ready to step into his shoes next season in Paul McCoy from SMU.

Front Court should be alot better as well, another transfer in Kyle Rowley, a true 7ft C whose coming to us from Northwestern.

Hopefully Pangos & Bell are the answer to your backcourt problems next season so we can give BYU a scare and maybe get 3-4 teams into the NCAA(USF is on the rise, one of the youngest teams in the country so they can only get better)

jazzdelmar
01-29-2011, 05:16 AM
Randy was a point guard at D3 UCSD....he was on the staff of Hank Egan at USD and was passed over for Brad Holland. He then hitched his star to Lorenzo Romar at St Louis and Pep and the rest is history. His asst last year Kyle Smith is now head man at Columbia and doing pretty well....

Congrats to the Gaels. Mickey was Magical. Amazing that a college with the name of two girls in it could be so good. Did Bennett play college ball at 5' 7"?

I hope SMC enjoys being the Top dog for a little while.

kyle dixon
01-29-2011, 10:31 AM
A great shot by McConnell and now like Sir says we need to call the Gaels are daddy. Congrats SMC on the win. Until our paths cross again...

Saxon_zag
01-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Spoken like a true loser. Let's blame the refs when the offense is:

1) Thrown into Sacre, hope he gets fouled on a fade-away jumpshot.

2) Steven Gray taking the ball above the key, lowering his shoulder, and then pushing off with his forearm.

3) Stockton doing something.

I pray to real god that you never represented the scarlet and silver. If you did, Gilman would have nothing to do with you based on what you said.

My god, I hope you didn't go to Ferris and your screen name is just a fluke, please don't say you never went there.

AFter a loss and i was mad but you're still wrong. Our offense was throwing it into Sacre and hoping he gets fouled? He did nothing in the 2nd half really. Minus getting tackled with 40 seconds left on a great no call..... Of course I went to Ferris and a basketball coach at Ferris has to do with that how? Let's not make judgements on how i represent the "scarlet and silver" when I'm 1 of a ton of people on here that could realize that the refs sucked. You just sound like a big old tool....

Our offense had to do with "stockton doing something"? Wow you are really a student of the game I can tell. With that type of insight you should be getting some calls really soon. You drew that conclusion from the shot he took at the end of the game? Brilliant.

sittingon50
02-04-2011, 06:11 PM
According to some Pilot fans, the Zags were "stomping on their logo" at 1/2 court last night after the game. What say ye?

GoZags
02-04-2011, 06:28 PM
According to some Pilot fans, the Zags were "stomping on their logo" at 1/2 court last night after the game. What say ye?

Anybody can write whatever they want on an internet message board.

sittingon50, In your multiple decades of following Gonzaga Basketball, I'll go out on a limb and guess you've seen Gonzaga players "stomp" an opponent's logo the same number of times that I've seen done in my 38+ years of following Zag hoops.

Zero.

sittingon50
02-04-2011, 06:49 PM
I was just trying to point out the observations of 2 different sets of fans after their teams got beat (at home). You're right, I doubt the Zags were "stomping" on the Pilot's logo, anymore than I believe the St. Mary's kids did anything dastardly (as was pointed out in this thread).

Disclaimer: I didn't see either of the events mentioned, though I was present for the SMC game.

webspinnre
02-04-2011, 09:03 PM
I saw Steven beating his chest and jumping on TV, but have no clue about anything else.