PDA

View Full Version : Dower Power

zagzilla
01-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Since we don't get to do a GUnit this game, I wanted to call out something positive.

When Sacre got into foul trouble (yeah right:vomit-smiley-007:), Dower more than compensated for his absence. 15 second half points and 9 in a row to break up SMC's run. He was awesome!

Great work by the freshman and a sign that when Rob graduates, we should still be a force inside.

The ESPN announcers though couldn't stop pointing out his tendency to go to the left. Almost like they were so happy they noticed something they had to repeat it over and over.

Obviously getting more balance going right is an opportunity to improve but last night he was so good, I don't think we can say that having Sacre sitting during most of the second half hurt us that much.

Keep it up Sam!

ZZ

ZagMania
01-28-2011, 08:29 AM
He was awesome, just has a confidence his shot is always going to go in that others don't seem to have.

He did make that hand symbol after a 3 that he supposedly got yanked for last time he did it. I find that story less plausible if he did it again with no reprecussions this time.

EngineerZag
01-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Hmmm ... he predominately goes to his left because he's left-handed ... shucks, sounds like a real problem to me. :p

gamagin
01-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Dower really showed his game last night. I'm sorry he wasn't left in. My guess is, so is Few.

cjm720
01-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Dower and Stock might be the two most confident guys on our team right now. (Sacre too).

ZagMan
01-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Dower really showed his game last night. I'm sorry he wasn't left in. My guess is, so is Few.

This may be a stupid question, but does anyone see a time when Sacre and Dower could be on the floor at the same time? That might be an extremely hard combination to beat inside.

webspinnre
01-28-2011, 12:05 PM
This may be a stupid question, but does anyone see a time when Sacre and Dower could be on the floor at the same time? That might be an extremely hard combination to beat inside.

Only if Elias isn't on the floor. One thing I feel we've learned this year is that Elias has definitely struggled with handles. If he can't resolve those issues, he'll never be a 3 in the NBA.

Reborn
01-28-2011, 01:46 PM
[QUOTE=zagzilla;629976]Obviously getting more balance going right is an opportunity to improve but last night he was so good, I don't think we can say that having Sacre sitting during most of the second half hurt us that much./QUOTE]

In hindsight the best decision would have been to leave Dower and Harris in the game. They played quite well together imo. But it's tough to make a decision to leave Rob on the bench. But honestly, He has NOT been good at all in the last few minutes of recent games......HE needs to take a look at that. He has not proved he is a closer at all.

Hoopaholic
01-28-2011, 01:55 PM
i disagree I can personally see Sacre, Dower and Harris on same court

imagaine how to defend this:

Sacre low block

Dower opposite low block

Harris flashing to hi elbow strong side coming towards Gray on the wing

*You cannot take Grays man to double down on Sacre
*you cannot take Harris man to double down
*if you cheat Dower man over he simply flashes to the mid lane for easy jumper

UberZagFan
01-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Dower played great and it's nice to see someone with so much confidence in various different shots.

Baseline
01-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Dower isn't afraid to shoot, the rest of the young guys look like they are afraid of their shadows. Keita is the only one that doesn't look scared.
I think Few should shakeup what he is doing, insanity to keep doing what isn't working. Try Dower/Sacre/ Harris for a while. What can it hurt at this point, GU needs to be in search of a new solution!

Das Zagger
01-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Since we don't get to do a GUnit this game, I wanted to call out something positive.

When Sacre got into foul trouble (yeah right:vomit-smiley-007:), Dower more than compensated for his absence. 15 second half points and 9 in a row to break up SMC's run. He was awesome!

Great work by the freshman and a sign that when Rob graduates, we should still be a force inside.

The ESPN announcers though couldn't stop pointing out his tendency to go to the left. Almost like they were so happy they noticed something they had to repeat it over and over.

Obviously getting more balance going right is an opportunity to improve but last night he was so good, I don't think we can say that having Sacre sitting during most of the second half hurt us that much.

Keep it up Sam!

ZZ

Dower had a great game being put on the spot like that.

What I would emphasize is him learning to go right as opposed to left, it seemed all his points came from him going southpaw.

Kid has a silky stroke though, his future looks bright, lets see what the coaches can do with him.

gozags09
01-28-2011, 06:44 PM

Sacre low block

Dower opposite low block

I agree. Sacre, Dower, Harris, Gray and the PG o' the day. Our bigs are our strengths this year...much different than in the past. That combo would cause match up problems all over the court. The "switching on screens" defensive schemes may have to be eliminated out on top...but I would like to see these three on the floor together...with the focus on pounding the ball inside.

Ekrub
01-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Dower was awesome last night. You can't put him in over Sacre but I think He is one player living up to the preseason hype in the limited minutes he has gotten.

roxdoc
01-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Dower is a shooter - perhaps the only one we have on the team. He just knows what to do when he gets his hands on the ball. Don't have the figures but I have a hunch he is very near the top in pts per minute played. His problem early was defense, but it seems like he is getting better.

On the Dennis Patchin radio show today they were talking about we don't have any scorers outside of the "big three" - someone we could count on for 10 pts per game. Dower could easily do that if you gave him the green light for say 10 minutes.

He's gonning to be a real good one when he grows up!!!!:D

jim77
01-29-2011, 01:53 AM

Sacre low block

Dower opposite low block

Thank you....well said.

What the heck are we saving Sam for??? Next year? Put Elias back at the 3.....NO TEAM in the WCC will have an answer for that...and put SG back at SG!!!!! Then Let Stock feed them. Heck, we had them on the ropes with foul trouble then we let up...they couldn't cover ROB or SAM....we totally played their game.....and Santa clara's and SF's too......time to play POWER ball. We need to issue an A$$ whoopin on SD.

It probably time for David to start. Why? Cause the other teams know that he can carve you up if he is not nose guard...they have no such fear of Meechs game.......the fatigue/finnese weapon has not worked the last 3 games therefore we must go to power.

MedZag
01-29-2011, 02:31 AM
Thank you....well said.

What the heck are we saving Sam for??? Next year? Put Elias back at the 3.....NO TEAM in the WCC will have an answer for that...and put SG back at SG!!!!! Then Let Stock feed them. Heck, we had them on the ropes with foul trouble then we let up...they couldn't cover ROB or SAM....we totally played their game.....and Santa clara's and SF's too......time to play POWER ball. We need to issue an A$$ whoopin on SD..

The few problems with that lineup:
-Elias isn't a great defender if the team has an aggressive wing, and we sacrifice an elite defender in Arop/Keita by having Harris at the 3. (Granted, this is a worthless point if Few shows no interest in playing either the rest of the year)
-Who backs up SD/RS when they get in foul trouble? That leaves us with essentially only KO as a backup for the 5 and Harris (who's on the floor) as the backup 4.

Thin frontcourt and backcourt that doesn't consistently deliver has doomed this team.

thespywhozaggedme
01-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Serious question, as I was just thinking about this; so often we see undersized college teams go to a 3 guard lineup to try and maximize their assets. We'll we're the rare team that is over sized, if you will, many quality bigs, sometimes not enough minutes. My thinking was, why not play Rob, Elias and Sammy D at the same time, create the mismatch ourselves, not to mention the musical chairs at the sf that Few has been doing all season, could be negated with a 3 big lineup with Elias covering the sf defensively, which he is athletic enough to do. Just throwing that out there a some food for thought.

Hoopaholic
01-29-2011, 09:58 PM
problem I see is that neither Sam nor Sacre has demonstrated ability to be effective from the high post area yet (jump shot, take off dribble or pass across)......

BUT I would like to see more of these three on the floor and allow a double post with Harris flashing to middle now that I could be excited about and would make it almost IMPOSSIBLE to double down on either of low post block players

adoptedzag
01-29-2011, 10:03 PM
I disagree, I think Sam has shown that he is comfortable to 15, and Rob is at least competent to there. My concern is Elias at the 3. I don't have a doubt that Sam and Rob can do work down low and run the high-low.

Hoopaholic
01-29-2011, 10:05 PM
sam is comfortable out to 15 feet when playing the 5 slot with a 5 defender and no other low block player. Becomes a different game if the 4 is guarding him and we have Sacre posted on the block as that tends to fill up th elanes more than what Sam has seen when he is he 5 popping out(lane is generally clean of players).....

webspinnre
01-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Two concerns for me - 1, Elias appears to lack the handles to play the 3 and the lateral qiuckness to guard some opponents' SFs (who are often just a second SG). 2, Dower is really going to struggle against alot of 4s on defense with their better quickness/athleticism. This isn't to say it couldn't be done, but you'd have to pick your spots carefully to address those concerns.

Bogozags
01-30-2011, 05:10 AM

Am I the only person who is lost on this? Would someone please PM me on why we don't get to do a GUnit for this game?

Thank You.

Bogozags
01-30-2011, 05:13 AM

Sacre low block

Dower opposite low block

This coin has two sides...

Agree, it would be a match-up nightmare for the opposing team's defense but on the other side, don't know if EH can defend many SF's due to their quickness? I think against big front lines this is a great idea.

kitzbuel
01-30-2011, 05:50 AM
Am I the only person who is lost on this? Would someone please PM me on why we don't get to do a GUnit for this game?

Thank You.
The Word according WooHoo only permits GUnits to be used in wins.

pargo4prez
01-30-2011, 07:56 AM
It would be great to see Dower, Sacre, and Elias play at the same time, but the issue is they don't have guys at the same skill level that can take their spots if they were to get into foul trouble...That's probably why Few doesn't play them together.

Bogozags
01-30-2011, 07:56 AM
The Word according WooHoo only permits GUnits to be used in wins.

Thank you for explaining but I thought this thread was about the SDU game last night...I missed the reference to the SMC game...sorry!

Baseline
01-30-2011, 03:38 PM
I think we have pretty good backup if these guys get in fowl trouble. Kelly can fill any of the slots. Arop can play the 3 or 4. Hart can play a 3 or 4. These guys are all good defenders, so I think it is very doable.

As far as Harris having trouble guarding 3's, he did that just fine for Germany. I think its worth a try, it should be obvious quite quickly if its not working.

FieldHouseFishHouse
01-30-2011, 08:00 PM

Sacre low block

Dower opposite low block

You are starting out with 3 players down low, that's the first problem. Other problems would emerge later on in the offense. With the current starting lineup, you already have one ball-handling liability on the perimeter in Harris. With Dower you retain some shot-making ability, but further compromise your ball handling and passing.
Can you imagine running that weave play with Gray, Harris and Dower on the outside? That could get ugly.

ZagMan
01-31-2011, 07:12 AM
Wow, good points everyone. I didn't know I was opening up a can of worms with my comment.

Hoopaholic
01-31-2011, 07:45 AM
POint guard passes to strong side wing SG and cuts through middle of key off the high strong side elbow post player (sacre) who then immediately slides down to the strong side block

As soon as the PG clears the lane and goes weakside, double low post weakside with Dower/Harris sets screen and brings Harris to the free throw line

this either leaves Harris open at the elbow or Dower(who screened for Harris) open on duck in....or Sacre on strong side block posted up.

Gray defender tries to slack off he hits the jumper, Sacre open or Harris open

If Harris gets it and NO shot or pass, you bring up dower on cross screen pick and roll and let harris work his magic off the dribble.

IF not open SG is rotating over the top , ball passed out to PG on wing who dribbles (like the weave) toward top of circle, handing off to Gray and we are back into same action this time it would be Dower setting screen for RS to pop to elbow

I just dont see how anyone in WCC could stop that action considering each of the players strengths

Defense would be a different issue as EH has struggled at times with athletic 3 wing players and I am not sure Dower could play that slot defensively if the 3 wing is a shooter (I think he can defend a non shooter due to his length just have concerns about him bellying up to a shooter and getting burned with fouls as the wing takes it to hole)

roxdoc
01-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Poetry in motion. :)