PDA

View Full Version : Harris problem?

ZagMan
01-28-2011, 07:32 AM
I've been watching all of the games, and I'm not saying that this is the only problem that this team has by any means, but what has happened to E. Harris? I now early in the season he was injured, I get that. I know injuries can affect you mentally also and maybe give you a lack of confidence, I get that too. He obviously has the athletic ability. What is he lacking that is making this season so mediocre for him?

Don't get me wrong, I feel he is a great ball player and has enormous talent and we are lucky to have him. I'm just trying to put into words what might be going on with him. I don't think it is an injury or anything injury related that is bothering him right now. I'm thinking maybe he is maybe trying to do too much on his own? Maybe it is a lack of energy or effort? Harris is great but something is way different this year compared to last year. Any thoughts?

:confused:

FlyZag
01-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Do you think that maybe some people over-rated him to begin with? I love the kid, but I personally never saw the same things that the majority of this board saw. Yes, he was explosive at times... but struggled against good competition. He played porous defense (last year) and was wildly inconsistent.

I actually think he is playing a little better defense this year and has shown a little more hustle.

For me, Harris wasn't the problem last night. He scored and rebounded well. He defended Jones pretty good. There were clearly other problems last night.

ZagMania
01-28-2011, 08:03 AM
The thing I really didn't like was at one point him and Sacre were inside defending when a foul was called, and he turned around to the ref as if to say it wasn't me and the foul went to Sacre. I'm not sure which number foul it was on Sacre but every player should be trying to take fouls away from him if they can. Just rubbed me as not the team thing to do in that situation.

cjm720
01-28-2011, 08:08 AM
There was an article posted a while back...cannot find the link, but I found an excerpt that I emailed to a friend.

Gonzaga men’s basketball forward Elias Harris has some thoughts on why his performance this season hasn’t matched his impressive freshman year.
Perhaps too many thoughts.
“Compared to last season, I think I took steps back,” Harris said, prior to Monday’s practice at the McCarthey Athletic Center. “I need to play way more aggressively, like I did last year. I need to just be the old ‘E’ that I was when I came here and not think too much.”

zagzilla
01-28-2011, 08:13 AM
3 bad TO's I remember in the second half. All were on strips where the ball was taken away. Kills momentum and ignites transition offense the other way.

He had some good moments too. A couple of treys, some midrange pops and at least one tough rebound. Not much of a passer though.

I like E but the preseason AA hype raised expectations unrealistically. He'll be a great Zag for the next 2 years.

ZZ

gamagin
01-28-2011, 08:20 AM
I've been watching all of the games, and I'm not saying that this is the only problem that this team has by any means, but what has happened to E. Harris? I now early in the season he was injured, I get that. I know injuries can affect you mentally also and maybe give you a lack of confidence, I get that too. He obviously has the athletic ability. What is he lacking that is making this season so mediocre for him?

Don't get me wrong, I feel he is a great ball player and has enormous talent and we are lucky to have him. I'm just trying to put into words what might be going on with him. I don't think it is an injury or anything injury related that is bothering him right now. I'm thinking maybe he is maybe trying to do too much on his own? Maybe it is a lack of energy or effort? Harris is great but something is way different this year compared to last year. Any thoughts? :confused:

Perhaps the answer to the Arby's quiz on the big screen last night might help with this puzzle. The question (to win a sandwich, I guess) was who, as a freshman, scored the most number of points in zag history as a freshman. On the list were Matt Santangelo, Adam Morrison, Elias Harris and (I think) Casey Calvary and someone else.

The winner was Harris. 500 plus points.

So the answer to your puzzler is yes he had a great freshman year. the best ever for a Zag. Which is why expectations for him were sky high.

But, in fact, he came to GU to develop his skills in hopes of making the bigs. Developing beyond the skills he brought in has proven to be more difficult than we, or he, imagined. This is all hindsight, of course.

His shoulder and then foot injures came up first. Then, to our surprise, these temporary flaws seemed to take their toll not only on his seeming invincibility, but his confidence as well.

The effort to keep improving, coupled with these very frustrating injuries, have, imo, left EH too often stunned and confused and resulted in a full stall in his continued development. He is playing exactly like he did last year, except instead of driving and shooting, his opponents are playing him like a fiddle.

He barely makes a move anymore and a foe not only anticipates what is coming next but strips him, or like Jones last night, literally took the ball right out of his hands or in mid dribble. He does not appear to have any new moves. So the frustration and the confusion continues.

He's clearly working hard to overcome this and made a few nice drives and even a few shots from the top of the key (and a rare assist) last night. But the consistency, a fresh approach and even getting and staying in to the ebb and flow of the game are at the moment, a nearly complete mystery to him.

He's a sophmore. He's at a crossroads. Like many other Zags this year, he's working as hard as he can to get back in charge of his game.

But many of our opponents, whose games fell before EH & the Zags last year, are consequently a step, or a reach, or a reflex, better than he is and the moment because they have worked their way beyond being predictable.

So, too, are the Zags game plans, such as they are, and our efforts to execute. And it shows.

ZagMan
01-28-2011, 11:57 AM
He barely makes a move anymore and a foe not only anticipates what is coming next but strips him, or like Jones last night, literally took the ball right out of his hands or in mid dribble. He does not appear to have any new moves. So the frustration and the confusion continues.

This is what frustrates me the most about him I think. To see him just back down into a defender with that looooong tall dribble, just begging someone to take it from him. That drives me nuts.

I'm sure he is working hard, and did have some big positives last night. I can just see those giveaways coming from a mile away when he tries to back down a defender though. Maybe more court vision or just being aggressive and quicker will help him progress.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-28-2011, 12:19 PM
I watch Elias this season and it reminds me of Josh Heytvelt's junior season when he came back from the broken foot. Josh had a great senior campaign, but he was not the same player he was as a sophomore. Here's hoping that Elias bounces back. He just seems like such a different player. In fact, after seeing Sam last night, I wonder if it might be worthing adjusting his minutes down slightly to give Sam some more time, as he's a much more fluent scorer.

pargo4prez
01-28-2011, 01:11 PM
NO WAY! He's obviously struggling a little bit this year, but he's seriously AMAZING. How can you say he was overrated? THE HIGHEST SCORING FRESHMAN IN GONZAGA HISTORY...

He's just not playing as well as he could be (I would hardly say 17 points is a bad night), but he'll be back to the same "go hard or go home" player he used to be.

UberZagFan
01-28-2011, 01:24 PM
How can you say he was overrated?

Uh, because he was?

Harris line

MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
36 7-11 2-2 1-1 1 6 1 0 0 3 0 17

Jones line
38 6-11 2-6 1-2 2 13 1 2 1 2 4 15

One was mentioned as an AA candidate and possible lottery pick and the other one was not.

Teaze
01-28-2011, 01:55 PM
There was an article posted a while back...cannot find the link, but I found an excerpt that I emailed to a friend.

Gonzaga men’s basketball forward Elias Harris has some thoughts on why his performance this season hasn’t matched his impressive freshman year.
Perhaps too many thoughts.
“Compared to last season, I think I took steps back,” Harris said, prior to Monday’s practice at the McCarthey Athletic Center. “I need to play way more aggressively, like I did last year. I need to just be the old ‘E’ that I was when I came here and not think too much.”

There is the article you were talking about. Pretty surprising thing about Bouldin in the article as well.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/jan/24/harris-struggles-sophomore/

ZagMan
01-28-2011, 03:17 PM
There is the article you were talking about. Pretty surprising thing about Bouldin in the article as well.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/jan/24/harris-struggles-sophomore/

:link: :clap:

Thanks for the link! I hadn't seen that article and it does clear some things up.