PDA

View Full Version : Last 10 Seconds........

zagsmyboys
01-28-2011, 07:48 AM
I have one qyestion, and honestly it is a question not a complaint. Why didnt Few have them do full court pressure with 10 seconds left to play in the game? At least with full court pressure we "could have" possibly caused a turn over, or at least taken enough time off the clock to make the shot a little harder due to pressure. Not sure what happend there!!

-Go Zags!!!

Hoopaholic
01-28-2011, 07:52 AM
1. unusual players on court who probably are not used to pressing

2. Gray, Arop and Keita not on court who are critical components on rotation for full court press

3. philosophy that get back, get feet set and defend (we did McConnel made one heck of a shot)

omahazag
01-28-2011, 07:52 AM
I have one qyestion, and honestly it is a question not a complaint. Why didnt Few have them do full court pressure with 10 seconds left to play in the game? At least with full court pressure we "could have" possibly caused a turn over, or at least taken enough time off the clock to make the shot a little harder due to pressure. Not sure what happend there!!

-Go Zags!!!

I questioned that as well. More times then not, I see coaches sub and/or call a time in order to set up full court press when a game is on the line...Don't get it, let alone this team's rotation which, by this point, should be established....no consistency.

btw, Dower is a stud.

zagsmyboys
01-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Dower is a stud and Carter did great at the free throw line under pressure!! I still think there should have been full court pressure due to the shooting ability that SMC has. What are our chances now?

GUDan07
01-28-2011, 08:10 AM
This is one of the few parts of the game from last night I have no problem with. Sacre played great defense and the kid made a hell of a shot. Gotta give him credit for that one, it wasn't for lack of defense.

tobizag
01-28-2011, 08:10 AM
also, if i remember correctly, we ended the game with a timeout in our pocket. why not call timeout after smc hits that shot with 2 seconds left?

allnet59
01-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Why few didn't call a timeout after the second made free throw is crazy. He could have made changes to the personnel on the floor and used full court pressure or even trapped the in bounds ball. Anything to cause a disruption but instead we gave them the opportunity to get it into the hands of their best player and let him take the final shot. Dumb coaching decision.

Hoopaholic
01-28-2011, 08:14 AM
but if my memory serves me SMC did not have a timeout. So if you the team that just tied up the game takes a timeout, you in theory can provide the opposing teams coach an opportunity to settle his team down, focus and draw up a specific play.

tobizag
01-28-2011, 08:38 AM
my point was that few should have called timeout AFTER smc took the lead. sure, it gives them a chance to set up on defense, but you're telling me our coaches thought our best shot at winning was frantically passing into meech for a 60 foot heave? aren't the odds of a full court pass to a bucket better?

Hoopaholic
01-28-2011, 09:23 AM
tobizag...I was answering the question about taking timeout after the free throws

IF we ended up with a TO in our backpocket I would agree with you that a timeout was warranted for our last second shot but
1. not sure we had one to be honest
2. not sure if the coaches WERE trying to get a TO and due to the unusual composite makeup of the team on the court maybe it was not seen or understood.......

EngineerZag
01-28-2011, 09:23 AM
DS was actually running down the court and if it had been heaved to him he would have had a decent look at a shot. Too bad no one saw him.

webspinnre
01-28-2011, 09:29 AM
My guess as to why no full court pressure is that it'd be more likely to lead to a foul, which would be the last thing we'd want. We played good defense, gotta give props to McConnell for the shot.

gamagin
01-28-2011, 09:44 AM
we had lots of time to plan this, when the t.o. was called between Carter's f.t. shots. I know there's a strategy that says you need to leave yourself enough time to return fire should the other guy score.

But with SMC, simply forcing their guard/shooters to work harder the whole game, and with their relatively few substitutions of these guys, they could be further worn down by the end of a game.

Then with 10 seconds left, and another picket fence waiting, I think our chances are improved in this game of a thousand little opportunities left unexplored.

fedwayzag
01-29-2011, 09:58 PM
NOt a full court press as people can get out of position and leave someone wide open. What I think could - should have been done is have Meech man to man press him in the back court. Meech is fast enough. Make McConnell turn a couple of times and it takes 2-3 seconds off the clock. Making time a little more of a concern.