PDA

View Full Version : You gotta make shots

FuManShoes
01-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Sorry to start another thread but thinking back to the end of this game, the game before and the game before that it came down to opponents making shots and the Zags missing them.

Sacre was oh-fer down the stretch with some horrible attempts - maybe he was fouled, who knows. Stockton missed the front end of a 1-and-1 and cast an ill-advised three, Carter missed the put back THOUGH HE DID MAKE TWO HUGE FREE THROWS. Meanwhile a Gael who threw a horrid brick on one FT cans another. McConnell makes free throws, a jumper in the lane, a three from 25 feet (nice pushoff, ####ole) and then a circus shot with Sacre draped all over him.

I don't have some great hypothesis. We just don't seem to finish plays. Our big three get shots at the rim and miss them - too often. Considering few other Zags even attempt shots - Hoff, where the #### are you? - those misses are magnified. Meanwhile, opponents rain threes and make circus shots as time expires.

Maybe it just isn't our year.

bballbeachbum
01-27-2011, 11:11 PM
making shots, making plays :) the answer to overcoming

the heart has to fight back, has to fight

bballbeachbum
01-27-2011, 11:12 PM
have to re-earn the respect. it's doable

zagzilla
01-28-2011, 05:59 AM
No FG last 3 minutes vs. SMC. None in the last 4 min at SCU. In previous years there was always a go to guy we could rely on to score when we had to have a bucket.

fedwayzag
01-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Gotta agree with Zagzilla.

Another thing I noticed from the boxscores si in the last two games we have had more offensive rebounds then the other team (4 & 2 more) but we lost the second chance points. Goes back to making shots and making the team pay when we get an offensive rebound. Also, SF scores more paints in the paint then we did and St Mary's scored the same as we did. With Rob, Elias and Sam we have to win the paint or guess what, we lose. We do not have a great shooters this yr so we need to win the paint by a decent margin or we are in trouble.

rijman
01-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Sorry to start another thread but thinking back to the end of this game, the game before and the game before that it came down to opponents making shots and the Zags missing them.

Frustrating, 3 games in a row now for the Zags.

Rio Runner
01-28-2011, 06:31 AM

Sacre was oh-fer down the stretch with some horrible attempts - maybe he was fouled, who knows. Stockton missed the front end of a 1-and-1 and cast an ill-advised three, Carter missed the put back THOUGH HE DID MAKE TWO HUGE FREE THROWS. Meanwhile a Gael who threw a horrid brick on one FT cans another. McConnell makes free throws, a jumper in the lane, a three from 25 feet (nice pushoff, ####ole) and then a circus shot with Sacre draped all over him.

I don't have some great hypothesis. We just don't seem to finish plays. Our big three get shots at the rim and miss them - too often. Considering few other Zags even attempt shots - Hoff, where the #### are you? - those misses are magnified. Meanwhile, opponents rain threes and make circus shots as time expires.

Kind of hard to make shots when the coach keeps putting people on the floor who can't score -- Meech, Carter, Stockton, Monninghoff.

TacomaZAG
01-28-2011, 07:53 AM
We can't finish, again. I just reviewed the play-by-play on ESPN and it's true that we had no FG's in the last 3+ minutes. But it gets worse.....we only had one FG in the last 5:44...............

Can't win when we can't finish.

This seems to happen year after year after year. It's happened at least three or four times this year alone.

Go ZAGS

NovaZag
01-28-2011, 08:27 AM
I would've left Sam in. He was feelin it.

Reborn
01-28-2011, 09:31 AM
When I look at the stats this game was one by shooting. The Gaels made 28 baskets, 8 of them were 3 pointers. The Zags made 25 baskets, 5 of them were 3 pointers. The Zags made 7 more free throws. The Gaels shoot 48 % for the game and the Zags 44%. I really thought the Zags would shoot better because the Gaels are not the best defensive team around.

One huge fact sticks out to me. Meech is 0-6, 0-3 from the three-point range. He scores 1 point. Stockton is 0-2, 0-1 from the 3 point line and 0-1 from the free throw lne.

Birddog
01-28-2011, 09:34 AM
This years edition has no shooters save Gray and he'd be ranked 4th or 5th in the conference IMO. The team needs at least one more "go to" shooter that can threaten a 3 or jumpers from mid-range. It isn't Harris, Olynik, Keita or Hoff, although all could develop. Big Sam may be the best of the others, but that shouldn't be his role.

Therunner
01-28-2011, 10:25 AM
I would've left Sam in. He was feelin it.

Yup. Its the small things like this that make all the difference in crunch time.

In all honestly, have we taken a moment to consider that Coach Few is simply not at his best during critical moments of a game i.e. end of 1st half, end of shot clock, rotations that can score when it counts, drawing up plays to run out clock, end of game plays to tie or take the lead, etc.

Just take a sec and think about the last few seasons; how has our team performed in close games, even tied games, scoring at the end of a half, attempting to score at the end of a game, list goes on...

Everyone has an 'area of improvement' and this is Coach Few's, imo.

Crunch time? Not so much...consistently out-coached over the years.

Good news. Coach is great at so many other things that games don't get close all that often! ;)

Fonebone
01-28-2011, 11:50 AM
I understand that in reality there are not often "easy" shots when you are in a jungle of giant, strong guys hanging all over you. But I have to agree that the last three games it seems like we have missed a lot of close in lay ins and short put backs. Last night was no different. Some of them looked, from the safety of the stands, like almost uncontested, easy shots, but still, some did not drop. We make just a few of those and last nights game is a lot different.

FuManShoes
02-06-2011, 12:36 AM
I return to this. You gotta make shots! Once again, that is why we lost. The Tigers made shots down the stretch and the Zags didn't. Time and again this season that has been the difference. Of the Zags' 9 losses SIX were games that were within reach in the final minutes. This team lacks poise, confidence and purpose.

gamagin
02-06-2011, 05:45 AM

The first seven minutes go by in the second half and not ONE Zag point is scored. ZERO. That's almost an entire full quarter hiatus. Yet, the game was still close. You gotta take as well as make shots. There should be a stat for the shots we didn't take on this day.

Birddog
02-06-2011, 05:54 AM
The first seven minutes go by in the second half and not ONE Zag point is scored. ZERO. That's almost an entire full quarter hiatus. Yet, the game was still close. You gotta take as well as make shots. There should be a stat for the shots we didn't take on this day.
The Zags had at least three good looks in that time span, maybe four, but the shots didn't fall. IIRC, Sacre had a hook go in and out and Gray had a "3" do the same. The 2nd stanza looked promising after they made the easy bucket to start, but then the lid covered the basket.

Baldwinzag
02-06-2011, 06:38 AM
As the old adage goes, you have to shoot the shots to have a chance at making shots. *cohoff* Mathis *cohoff*

I will never understand the logic nor intend to by having Mathis in the game the last 10 mins over Arop, especially considering he gave up two HUGE defensive rebounds in final 90 secs, fouled Memphis twice, & allowed an uncontested 3pt during same time span. Monninghoff didn't even attempt a shot, while Manny was scoring underneath, on drives, & securing loose balls during his spotty minutes. Mathis was a ghost out there & contributed nothing save Memphis points, yet maybe he "looked" better in practice this week & deserved those minutes at the end of the game.

I've always been taught that defense & rebounding are your best friends during crunch time/closing mins...anyway, I digress from topic at hand; my apologies...

scrooner
02-06-2011, 08:08 AM
MM would be a great weapon if the team would actually run a play to get him a shot. They have a drawn up play to get Harris an easy alley-oop...so why isn't there a play for a spot-up 3pt shooter? We play against guys all the time who can do nothing except hit 3s from the corner, and their teams have plays to get them the ball in the corner. Very strange.

DenDiegoZag
02-06-2011, 08:13 AM
As the old adage goes, you have to shoot the shots to have a chance at making shots. *cohoff* Mathis *cohoff*

I've always been taught that defense & rebounding are your best friends during crunch time/closing mins...anyway, I digress from topic at hand; my apologies...

Baldwin,

I thought you were always tought that finger roll layups right to the front of the rim with no use of the glass were you best friend in the closing minutes? :)

Anyway, I think practice is important, but I'll take the tenacious scrappy player over the random jumpshooter anytime of any game.

DDZ

siliconzag
02-06-2011, 09:19 AM
While it is not a sufficient condition to have good shooters, it is a necessary one. What made some of the best Zag teams formidable in the past, was that you couldn't sag off on anyone. Whenever we had an offensive weakness (a player who was not a scoring threat, I'd rather not name folks but you all remember them), our offense stalled.

Pure and simple, we can't keep the defense honest, because they are pretty confident we will miss the long range jump shots. This clogs the middle, and messes up the offensive options. It makes us one dimensional. Everybody knows what the plan is--get the ball to the big boy. Doesn't matter much who passes it, because they have already put themselves in position to shut that inside game down, assuming the defense is physical and big enough.

On a side note, Bill Russell, a sagacious commentator if ever there was one, used to say, "...if you get too far behind, it takes too much energy to catch up, and most teams run out of steam and can't close the deal." I think that is what happened yesterday. In a physical, low scoring game like yesterday's, that was too deep of a hole. The guys couldn’t sustain their intensity and drive, looked tired, and couldn’t pull it off as a consequence.

I (like some others on the board) am not willing to give a Eulogy on the 2010-11 Zags imminent demise quite yet. The only important games remaining are those in Las Vegas. The coach can experiment all he wants to from here on out with various combinations and changes in both offense and defense. The girl we came with ain't that pretty, so maybe we should start looking around the dance floor for other options.

One final thought: The team looks inhibited and tentative. I wonder sometimes if they aren’t over coached. Maybe Coach should just say, go out there lads and try to have fun. Seems like we are trying too hard not to lose instead of trying to win. “Faint heart never won fair lady.”

NotoriousZ
02-06-2011, 09:24 AM
We had several good looks at the basket from inside 12 feet that went in and out. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like whenever we play in the Spokane Arena the shots don't fall like they should for us. Could we have our practices in the Arena before an upcoming game there? Would that help?

How about that long, game-winning shot by Memphis that was a total brick and seemed to get sucked back into the basket. Are you effing KIDDING ME?!?

I thought both teams played well, congrats to the Tigers. We'll just have to win in Vegas (I BELIEVE)!!!

gamagin
02-06-2011, 09:36 AM
ex lead story by Jim Meehan.

Mark Few: “We’ve been pretty physical and I think we got ‘out-physicaled,’ ” Few said. “Those two inside guys (Tarik Black and Will Coleman) posted us harder and went to the glass harder than we did, and that was the key to the game really.”

The Bulldogs made just 36 percent of their shots in each half. The team’s top three scorers (Gray, Harris and Sacre) combined to make 10 of 31 from the field.

I agree with Few. We did not show up for war under the basket. They did. Their fearsome twosome could have easily been fouled out by the half with a few decent bench-called plays designed to exploit the over guarding and relentless pushing going on.

Secondly, without gray, harris and sacre playing at least an average game, we can't beat the Sisters of Perpetual Adoration.

Despite the pundit wannabe scramble on which pg caused or didn't, the loss on the GUB, only one p.g. was mentioned in the story. and that was by the Memphis shooter who made the impossible shot. He said he thought Goodson had him blocked. And I did, too. So he said he shot it up high. The rest is history. Or a continuation of some weird curse.

bballbeachbum
02-06-2011, 10:27 AM
ex lead story by Jim Meehan.

Mark Few: “We’ve been pretty physical and I think we got ‘out-physicaled,’ ” Few said. “Those two inside guys (Tarik Black and Will Coleman) posted us harder and went to the glass harder than we did, and that was the key to the game really.”

whoomp, there it is!

fedwayzag
02-06-2011, 10:46 AM
I was talking another someone in my family about what ills GU this year.
They hit it on the head. FOCUS> Most of the games they seem to be going through the motions, not much intensity. Save the last 25-30 minutes of the PDX where they seemed extremely focused.

GrizZAG
02-06-2011, 11:04 AM
One final thought: The team looks inhibited and tentative. I wonder sometimes if they aren’t over coached. Maybe Coach should just say, go out there lads and try to have fun. Seems like we are trying too hard not to lose instead of trying to win. “Faint heart never won fair lady.”

That is what I see also. All season long... Team plays tight at times, no let it runnnnnn....
Sure, mistakes will happen, but I think the raw talent is there..Just me.

gamagin
02-06-2011, 11:16 AM
good post. don't know if it y'all could see it on t.v. but Few was off the bench, and often on the floor, yelling and pointing a good portion of the game.

It also seemed that whatever it was he was trying to direct wasn't happening. It was apparent after the exchanges, during the many exchanges between meech and Few and then DS & Few, plus the dozen timeouts and the dozen t.v. timeouts.

I was confused in the stands trying to see what it was Few wanted his charges to do, and clearly, the Zags played confused too much of that game as well.

At some point, "someone" has to take charge. that didn't happen, either. It wasn't so much a game as a bunch of drills, many of which failed.

Ezag
02-06-2011, 12:58 PM
If Few is going to continuously change the line up every game, then he needs to put in people who are not scared to shoot or shake things up a bit. He should have let Arop play more, put Keita in, Kept Sam Downer in, give Carter more minutes. Harris is playing way too many unproductive minutes.

Section 116
02-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Notorious and others. There was a discussion yesterday on the post game Toby Howell radio show regarding the rims at the Spokane Veterans Arena. There was agreement from hosts and callers the rims at the arena are markedly different than the MAC. Of course, Howell noted that is nearly a universal truth in sports. Turf is different in football and baseball, sideboards are different in hockey, rims are different at different venues etc. Players have to adjust. It was an interesting discussion.

FuManShoes
02-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Here's what the Zags have shot in Spokane Arena games:
2011 - 36% (Memphis)
2010 - 51% (Oklahoma)
2009 - 37% (Memphis)
2008 - 46% (Georgia)
2007 - 48% (Memphis)

Yesterday was the worst yet.