PDA

View Full Version : Player Development

EngineerZag
01-27-2011, 10:14 PM
McConnell has sure gotten better with each year of basketball. That's how it's supposed to work. How is it that many of our players - I would submit Harris, KO, and Manny - were better last year than this year? Maybe even Steven?

Have we lost more with our assistant coaches leaving than we know?

JPtheBeasta
01-27-2011, 10:25 PM
This doesn't apply to Harris as much, but this team, more than any other, has a bunch of players with no defined roles. Know one knows what the rotation is going to be like from game to game. It's hard to play well when you are looking over your shoulder. Also having some sort of idea of the situations you are going to be called upon helps you mentally prepare while you are on the bench. I think I've heard Few say himself that one of the best words of advice he ever got from a coach (I think it was Wooden) was to shorten your rotation. This tinkering shows a lack of confidence in his players and it is filtering down to them.

That's my opinion.

Rio Runner
01-27-2011, 10:30 PM
This doesn't apply to Harris as much, but this team, more than any other, has a bunch of players with no defined roles. Know one knows what the rotation is going to be like from game to game. It's hard to play well when you are looking over your shoulder. Also having some sort of idea of the situations you are going to be called upon helps you mentally prepare while you are on the bench. I think I've heard Few say himself that one of the best words of advise he ever got from a coach (I think it was Wooden) was to shorten your rotation. This tinkering shows a lack of confidence in his players and it is filtering down to them.

That's my opinion.

Very insightful.

Few also defers a lot to his veterans. There certainly is a logic to that. But the drawback is that Few seems reluctant to admit -- or can't see -- that the kids Keita, Olynyk, Dower, and Stockton should be playing a whole lot more.

2wiceright
01-27-2011, 11:34 PM
This doesn't apply to Harris as much, but this team, more than any other, has a bunch of players with no defined roles. Know one knows what the rotation is going to be like from game to game. It's hard to play well when you are looking over your shoulder. Also having some sort of idea of the situations you are going to be called upon helps you mentally prepare while you are on the bench. I think I've heard Few say himself that one of the best words of advice he ever got from a coach (I think it was Wooden) was to shorten your rotation. This tinkering shows a lack of confidence in his players and it is filtering down to them.

That's my opinion.

Wonderful points JP...I would add to that ....How are our players supposed to develop any flow of the game if we're going 11 deep many night? It creates an atmosphere of (like you said) lack of confidence when at every buzzer all but Sacre and Gray are looking to see if their 3 minutes of playing time are up and it's time for them to come out. It prevents players from getting into the rythm of the game and possibly feeling that the coach has little confidence in them, IMO...