PDA

View Full Version : An honest assessment

Pargo the Destroyer
01-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Complaining about WCC officiating is like complaining that poop stinks, which ironically are my thoughts regarding the officials. Regardless, lack of a playmaker late in the game killed us.

Substitutions are baffling. I guess consistency is a word yet to be learned.

St Marys is good. As much as that pains me to say.

WCC regular season crown unfortunately looks to be headed to Moraga. Lots f games left but the Gaels running the table is a definite possibility.

KC brought it tonight. So did the qtips and others.

bballbeachbum
01-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Complaining about WCC officiating is like complaining that poop stinks, which ironically are my thoughts regarding the officials. Regardless, lack of a playmaker late in the game killed us.

Substitutions are baffling. I guess consistency is a word yet to be learned.

St Marys is good. As much as that pains me to say.

WCC regular season crown unfortunately looks to be headed to Moraga. Lots f games left but the Gaels running the table is a definite possibility.

KC brought it tonight. So did the qtips and others.

not complaining about the treatment...stating facts. I'll go further...get used to this treatment and learn to overcome...or succomb

pretending like it's not happening is spineless imho, and it's humble but weathered

and still, congrats to Saint Mary's

JPtheBeasta
01-27-2011, 09:59 PM
It was still a great game to watch. And it was just that, a game. I forget that too often. Back to the drawing board. Gotta figure out how to defend the pick and roll. Lots of good effort out there tonight. That said, I don't know how the refs can completely change the way they call the game from one half to the next.

bballbeachbum
01-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Refs aren't as bad as the incessant whining about them from fans who clearly overvalued the team. That's what smells like poop to me. Refs are just below average.

gald to see your opinions

who saw Bennett working the refs tonight, and I mean working them?

because it doesn't matter, of course, right Mal? every coach knows that

still, congrats to Saint Mary's.

ZagAddict
01-27-2011, 10:03 PM

When you have to implement your second team against SMC's first string because of foul trouble it's hard to not discuss officiating. Steven Gray not on the court and Sacre with 4 fouls contributed to lack of a playmaker being on the court late in the game.

Just stating the truth from an officiating standpoint... agree or not, these are facts. And not one SCM player fouled out despite numerous being in foul trouble with 4 fouls early in the 2nd half.

EngineerZag
01-27-2011, 10:05 PM
The officiating is consistently bad in this league. Period. But we can't let it come to that. When is the last time you have seen the Zags honestly take control of a game against a good team? It hasn't happened this season ...

Pargo the Destroyer
01-27-2011, 10:14 PM
I agree the officiating in the last 3 games Was flat atrocious. These guys look like they are out there to boost their resume. Get to a bigger conference....

Ok I'm b1tching bout the refs now. Sucky suck suck.

Baseline
01-27-2011, 10:42 PM
The Refs were inconsistent and gave both sides problems, but they weren't the reason for the Loss.
SMC has 2 really great guard that know how to find the open man and can shoot the lights out. SMC plays teem ball very well. Overall their players aren't as good as Gonzaga, but they do what the game is all about, Pass and shoot. They spread the floor very well and are patient in their ball control.
Gonzaga could learn a lot from studying the game.

MickMick
01-27-2011, 11:51 PM
The entire season was predictable.

The season is taking shape exactly as I thought it would. For those that might claim this comes from hindsight, I have a post history that backs it up.

Zags lose 8-10 games.
The frontcourt would be great.
The backcourt would be bad.
The schedule would take a heavy toll.
The WCC would be tough.

I missed on Harris and Arop. Otherwise, things were extremely predictable.

No I'm not a fortune teller or claim to be unique. Anyone that dared to take off the rose colored glasses for a moment could see this coming. A long time ago. Before the season started. Anyone.

I still stand by the idea that GU will salvage the season in Las Vegas.

On another note, Zags beat SMC if they commit 2-3 less unforced turnovers.
The achilles heel of the season.

Congrats to SMC, but I'm a little less impressed by them after the GU game than I was before. I thought they were a bit better than that. This wasn't one of the better Zag teams they beat on a final shot tonight.

Birddog
01-28-2011, 03:38 AM
On another note, Zags beat SMC if they commit 2-3 less unforced turnovers.
The achilles heel of the season
And therein lies the tale. Harris (3) and Gray (5) were responsible for 8 if I counted correctly.

NEC26
01-28-2011, 04:46 AM
Its not just that we had turnovers its that they come from two guys and so often they are either unforced or close to it. Harris has simply been horrendous with his turnovers and always because he is trying to force something. I think its clear that Bouldin helped make him better plus they just have him scouted out now.

FlyZag
01-28-2011, 07:32 AM
I think its clear that Bouldin helped make him better.

Bingo!

The absence of Bouldin is really showing.

We lost Bouldin and replaced him with who? Stockton? Keita? The recruiting misses on Grant Gibbs and GJ are showing their ugly head this season. Bouldin left a GAPING hole in our back court.

And as much as I want to anoint Pangos, Bell and Dranginis the second coming of Jordan... lets be real. They will be freshman and will make plenty of mistakes and will take a year before they make a real impact. So that means realistically at least one more year of sub GU standard basketball.

MBOHNERT
01-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Gonzaga would be top 10 if they had a point guard.

cjm720
01-28-2011, 08:00 AM
The Refs were inconsistent and gave both sides problems, but they weren't the reason for the Loss.
SMC has 2 really great guard that know how to find the open man and can shoot the lights out. SMC plays teem ball very well. Overall their players aren't as good as Gonzaga, but they do what the game is all about, Pass and shoot. They spread the floor very well and are patient in their ball control.
Gonzaga could learn a lot from studying the game.

Agreed 100%.

Throw in a baffling rotation and 2 of our 3 top defenders not seeing the floor, a loss was inevitable. The fact that we were in it until the last shot was, frankly, quite suprising. With Rob's first half, SMC foul trouble, we really should have put them away. Hats off to SMC...one heck of a team. McConnel is a stud, first team all-WCC, perhaps player of the year.

Go Zags!!!

23dpg
01-28-2011, 08:02 AM

Hmmm, I don't think so. This team is simply not a great team. Their range is average to pretty good. They could have beat St. Mary's last night, maybe even should have, but the crowd was worth about 5 points.

There is still time to improve, but there is now very little chance to make the tourney short of winning in Las Vegas.

webspinnre
01-28-2011, 08:07 AM

At the beginning of the season I went to the SMC-St. John's game and was talking to some of their fans. I told them that if we had McConnell I'd feel good putting us in the Elite 8. Frankly if I was SMC I'd be feeling similarly about Rob - give them a real inside presence and they might be scary good.

mgadfly
01-28-2011, 08:10 AM
Hmmm, I don't think so. This team is simply not a great team. Their range is average to pretty good. They could have beat St. Mary's last night, maybe even should have, but the crowd was worth about 5 points.

There is still time to improve, but there is now very little chance to make the tourney short of winning in Las Vegas.

Did anyone see the sports illustrated article about home court advantage? To overstate the conclusion, it argued that home court advantage is really about the officiating bias when making calls against a hostile crowd. I'm not sure we benefited from the officiating last night, although I'm sure it could have been worse (and probably will be) on the road.

cjm720
01-28-2011, 08:14 AM

You do wonder. Great players bring the best out in others. Would Gray be more consistent? Would E be the old E? Would all the newbies understand defensive assignments? Hard to surmise and we will never know...only if we had a genie in a bottle :)