PDA

View Full Version : Broken Record............

TacomaZAG
01-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Once again:

1. Lack of half time adjustments
2. Lack of any team specific defensive scheme
3. Lack of continuity with what is working in the first half (Rob in the paint, Elias isolation)

1. The first five minutes of every second half is very telling as to who made the appropriate adjustments, and, as usual, we got outscored in that time period (by 6 tonight).

2. The only way we lose tonight is if we let MM and Dela go off.........Guess what happened. Not only did they go off, but MM made 10 of their last 11 points. Once again, absolutely no team specific defensive scheme. When are we going to make someone else other than the opposition's only offensive weapon beat us??? Side note....two of our best three perimeter defenders (Arop and Keita) didn't see any time tonight. MM and Dela have to play near 40 minutes for SMC to have a chance to win, so why don't we rotate defenders on them and hound them full court the entire night????

3. Rob absolutely dominated in the paint in the first half, but get's virtually no touches in the paint in the second half. Elias is taking Jones to school in the first half but, he too, get's very few touches and opportunities to continue this in the second half.

As I've said before and have to say again, more than one of the trio of Meech/Carter/Stockton should NEVER be on the floor at the same time.....NEVER. And for the final portion of the game all three of them were on the floor at the same time. We can't win that way...........

Very, very frustrating.........

Go ZAGS

rijman
01-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Add

4. Lack of scoring down the stretch

The past 3 games the Zags aren't getting it done offensively at the end of the game. You can't consistently stop scoring at the end of close games and pull them out.

I agree about Meech/Carter/Stockton. As someone said in another thread, I too would have been very surprised if the Zags pulled it out with them on the floor.

EngineerZag
01-27-2011, 10:58 PM
It would help to score down the stretch if we stayed with the hot hand (Dower) and quit taking guys out who are on fire.

ZagsObserver
01-27-2011, 11:03 PM
"I've said before and have to say again, more than one of the trio of Meech/Carter/Stockton should NEVER be on the floor at the same time.....NEVER"

I completely agree, TacomaZag. PG is the weakest position on the team, so why multiply that deficiency by 3?

Nevtelen
01-27-2011, 11:06 PM
As I've said before and have to say again, more than one of the trio of Meech/Carter/Stockton should NEVER be on the floor at the same time.....NEVER. And for the final portion of the game all three of them were on the floor at the same time. We can't win that way...........

Go ZAGS

Yep. None of those guys can score consistently. 2 of them are bad at helping other guys to score. We have no shot with all 3 on the floor unless the other team is dumb enough to foul them hard.

Hoopaholic
01-27-2011, 11:06 PM
I disagree that PG is weakest on the team....I still maintain that the lack of a consistent 3 slot is our biggest draw back day in day out....our 3 PG's are more than adequate for us to be succesful, the meaningful lack of consistent 3 slot is killing us

xjzico
01-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Kudos to Dower for stepping up but he looked like he was playing over his head.

I think it's down to Harris, Gray and Goodson. Just not good enough on a consistent enough basis.

rijman
01-27-2011, 11:11 PM
It would help to score down the stretch if we stayed with the hot hand (Dower) and quit taking guys out who are on fire.
+1. I wanted Dower in there at the end.

hooter73
01-27-2011, 11:13 PM
I disagree that PG is weakest on the team....I still maintain that the lack of a consistent 3 slot is our biggest draw back day in day out....our 3 PG's are more than adequate for us to be succesful, the meaningful lack of consistent 3 slot is killing us

have a hard time disagreeing with this.

scrooner
01-27-2011, 11:13 PM
When are we going to make someone else other than the opposition's only offensive weapon beat us???

Great observation. Jimmer would drop 50 on this team...

Colbyspapa
01-27-2011, 11:14 PM
PG, Stockton played well. Carter played well. Meech wasn't bad.

However, we struggle with consistant points from the SF position. I was hoping we would see a big lineup for a while with Kelly or Harris going out to the three. Kelly barely played and didn't play well when in.

Hoopaholic
01-27-2011, 11:23 PM
the SF position is the key as it takes the pressure off SG and would allow him more freedom as he drives to the middle or comes off screens, but we just aint seeing it on consistent basis\ and tonight was odd in that two of our normals didnt see the court for some reason

Baseline
01-28-2011, 12:21 AM
SMC made some good half time adjustments. Rob had a hard time getting the ball and when he did he was mobbed. The players just stood and watched, I didn't see much movement to help out, he was on his own. When Harris got the ball they started sagging the lane making it hard to drive. They could do this because they know he will try to drive and not pass. when he does move he has three guys anticipating his action, it gets slapped away all to regular.
Harris needs to get some new moves and learn to hit open guys when he starts his move and they collapse on him.
What really bothers me is the whole role that some of these guys are playing. They do exactly what they are told (my guess) and nothing more. When they start the weave out front, the new guys never look or even think about taking it to the rack or hitting a back door guy. The look ahead intent to pass of and go to the next position expected. My Gosh, this is basketball and is played with basic plans, but you need situational awareness and need to take advantage of mistakes in defense. When the guys are doing this dribble hand off, you could have people wide open under neath and no one would see them. Theys guys need to loosen up and just play ball. IMHO

NEC26
01-28-2011, 05:58 AM
Once again:

1. Lack of half time adjustments
2. Lack of any team specific defensive scheme
3. Lack of continuity with what is working in the first half (Rob in the paint, Elias isolation)

1. The first five minutes of every second half is very telling as to who made the appropriate adjustments, and, as usual, we got outscored in that time period (by 6 tonight).

2. The only way we lose tonight is if we let MM and Dela go off.........Guess what happened. Not only did they go off, but MM made 10 of their last 11 points. Once again, absolutely no team specific defensive scheme. When are we going to make someone else other than the opposition's only offensive weapon beat us??? Side note....two of our best three perimeter defenders (Arop and Keita) didn't see any time tonight. MM and Dela have to play near 40 minutes for SMC to have a chance to win, so why don't we rotate defenders on them and hound them full court the entire night????

3. Rob absolutely dominated in the paint in the first half, but get's virtually no touches in the paint in the second half. Elias is taking Jones to school in the first half but, he too, get's very few touches and opportunities to continue this in the second half.

Go ZAGS
The only reason we saw these three guys on the floor at the same time is because Gray fouled out. Till that point it had either been Gray and Stockton or Carter and Stockton. Agreed it made me cringe when all three were out there(as evidenced by how we couldn't score when it happened).
The reason Rob didn't get touches is that he wasn't in most of the second half after that bogus double foul was called(then the terrible call on Sacre to give him his fourth as well).
As far as defensive scheme it was to switch on all ball screens which took away the three point shooting some but Micky and Dellavadova tore us apart. Wether it was Meech, Stockton, Gray, or Carter guarding them. Not a single one can say they played good defense.