PDA

View Full Version : By The Way

Birddog
01-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Anybody else think the ESPN 2 announcers really suck? Jeez, they needed to get another story line or two, and above that, maybe announce the game instead of all the crap about the streak. The only time they commented on the officiating, they said it was "dead on" or some such nonsense.

thickman1
01-27-2011, 09:35 PM
I hate announcers who feel the need to "back up" the referees. No way Rob deserved a foul on his horse-collar play. Anyone else see Rob Jones with the subtle hipcheck as he was getting up? If you're going to talk about something make sure you talk about ALL of it...

Saxon_zag
01-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Like I said Farnham I'm sure will be attending the post game festivities at SMC's hotel and I would bet he's gonna put a move on Randy Bennett with that tent he was pitching in his slacks all night for him and the officials.

GUDan07
01-27-2011, 09:39 PM
The comment that the officiating was "spot on all night" is the current leader for most absurd comment of the year. I think the word he was looking for was atrocious.

bballbeachbum
01-27-2011, 09:40 PM
the replays they choose to show/not show are hilarious, revealing

why listen to the pitchmen on that?

bballbeachbum
01-27-2011, 09:41 PM
The comment that the officiating was "spot on all night" is the current leader for most absurd comment of the year. I think the word he was looking for was atrocious.

it's beyond comedy...have to find a way to rise above

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Did you know that, before tonight, the Zags had only lost one game in WCC play at the Kennel? I didn't believe them the first 99 times they said, but it finally sunk in after the 100th time they spouted off that line.

NEC26
01-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Did you know that, before tonight, the Zags had only lost one game in WCC play at the Kennel? I didn't believe them the first 99 times they said, but I finally sunk in after the 100th time they spouted off that line.

:lmao:

tyko
01-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Tell your kids that if a ref pushes you into a player on the ground, it is a foul on you. Also, tell them that a defensive player, even when moving, can draw an offensive foul.

rijman
01-27-2011, 09:47 PM
I hate announcers who feel the need to "back up" the referees. No way Rob deserved a foul on his horse-collar play. Anyone else see Rob Jones with the subtle hipcheck as he was getting up? If you're going to talk about something make sure you talk about ALL of it...
The announcers never mentioned it once. Sacre was pushed as he got up and I think you could easily argue he was pushed into his tackler.

Santangelo_for_3
01-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Guarantee Farnham is on his knees right now in the Gaels locker room moving from player to player giving his own "personal" congrats.

SteeleMan
01-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Guarantee Farnham is on his knees right now in the Gaels locker room moving from player to player giving his own "personal" congrats.

Speaking of Santangelo, he agreed on radio thaT the refs were calling a good, consistent game. When I heard him at halftime at least.

Saxon_zag
01-27-2011, 09:54 PM

He already finished and he's heading to the officials locker room

DixieZag
01-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Three blatant bad calls - - they did not decide the game, Mickey McConell is what Dan Dickau, Blake Stepp used to be - unstopable assassin. BUT

- Foul called on Sacre below - clearly it was Dower who fouled him. That gave Sacre 4 and sent our best player to the bench.

- Steven's fourth and fifth foul were atrocious, both absolutely inexplicable.

- The WORST - the elbow separation called a "slap" - two feet of continuation, changed the whole complex of the game. Called a charge as it clearly was (I had a baseline view) and we get the ball up 1 or 2.

Zags will not win a WCC game this year that they do not lead by 10 going into the last 5 minutes.

Santangelo_for_3
01-27-2011, 10:04 PM
He already finished and he's heading to the officials locker room

That's a true statement.

Birddog
01-28-2011, 03:59 AM
Why can't we get good announcers like these guys. They're not afraid to comment or criticize the action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV4GsIe7Kvw

Reborn
01-28-2011, 07:39 AM
These two idiots made a really good game very frustrating for me. I think they are the two most unprofissional announcers I've seen. These guys were clearly pulling for St. Mary's the whole game. St. Mary's is clearly the new darlings of college basketball, and IMO, have knocked Gonzaga out of that spot. I wish I could get the game on radio here in Yakma.

Bennett does deserve the credit he is getting. He's earned it. He never quit until he got to the mountain top.

wiszag
01-28-2011, 08:11 AM
The replayed the incident about a half dozen times and those 2 chuckleheads kept talking about Rob walking over the dude. Not once did they mention that he'd been pushed from behind and was half stumbling as he tried to regain his balance. What a joke.

I don't know, it just doesn't seem to be in the cards this year that GU can pull out a close game or get any kind of separation. It's too bad there is a lot of talent but it seems that every game there is a different guy who steps up for awhile and then does a complete disappearing act when he gets more time on the court. This HAS to be the most baffling GU team that I've ever seen.

GrizZAG
01-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Rewatched the game carefully this morning. Slo Mo on the Sacre deal shows the ref actually pushed Rob over the top of him trying to put his arms around him. Ref should have been called for a technical. Uh, oh...can't do that

cbbfanatic
01-28-2011, 08:48 AM
St mary's the darling of "college basketball?"

Puh-lease. You need to get out more.

I would accept darlings of "that particular game" or "the wcc," but the entire sport?