PDA

View Full Version : End of the Zag's WCC Reign?

ZagLawGrad
01-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Seattle PI suggested so this morning if Zags lost tonight.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports/archives/237089.asp

Good question.

thickman1
01-27-2011, 09:27 PM
I see no way they get that 11th conference title. There is just no way it can happen. SMC is too hungry to fall apart. They have what GU used to have - that chip. That desire and hunger to reach the top.

kclubfounder
01-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Seattle PI suggested so this morning if Zags lost tonight.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports/archives/237089.asp

And we should happy to see BYU join the WCC?

No, we should be sad. We should be sad that the conference is being elevated. We should be sad that we don't dominate the handicapped sisters of the poor. We should be sad that our competition is improving within our league.

maynard g krebs
01-27-2011, 09:30 PM
They have what GU used to have - that chip.

They have what GU used to have- great guards. But GU will have great guards again.

kclubfounder
01-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Sorry, I forgot many readers don't understand sarcasm unless it is specifically notated.

For the record, my last post was sarcastic.

DenDiegoZag
01-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Yes.

bballbeachbum
01-27-2011, 09:34 PM
No, we should be sad. We should be sad that the conference is being elevated. We should be sad that we don't dominate the handicapped sisters of the poor. We should be sad that our competition is improving within our league.

we should be sad that our senior, on his home floor, got no respect tonight vs. a team that evidenced they could not guard him tonight...yet still, no respect

Mickey is better when Steven doesn't guard him

deathchina
01-27-2011, 09:38 PM

Is the WCC really that much better?

Conference RPI this year - 10th

Historical RPI

2010 - 14
2009 - 13
2008 - 13
2007 - 14
2006 - 12
2005 - 10
2004 - 12
2003 - 11

I mean, 10th would tie for the best in recent history but it's not a huge jump. I'm not even convinced that Saint Mary's is that great. They have zero wins against the RPI top 50 and have an obvious weakness inside. McConnell is superb and they play well together but they aren't juggernauts by any means.

Sadly, I think this is more of a case of GU being mediocre than anything else.

RenoZag
01-27-2011, 09:41 PM
St. Mary's may not be great but they are pretty damn good.

ZagAddict
01-27-2011, 09:49 PM
I find it very ironic that our best recruiting class ever loses the WCC reign four years later... Daye, Gray, and Sacre have this as part of their legacy. Daye left early, but I still consider him part of this class and disappoint in what he ultimately contributed to this progam.

thickman1
01-27-2011, 09:55 PM
I find it very ironic that our best recruiting class ever loses the WCC reign four years later... Daye, Gray, and Sacre have this as part of their legacy. Daye left early, but I still consider him part of this class and disappoint in what he ultimately contributed to this progam.

Every game my mancrush on Rob grows...he has improved so much just during the course of the season. I agree with your thoughts on Daye - selfish player. Let's open that can of worms. For whatever reason, Steven seems to be too cool - Jay Cutler cool maybe? He just looks like he doesn't really care. He made that horrible pass to Kelly that was stolen by Rob Jones and then watch him sprint out for the dunk. He made ZERO effort to get back...multiple times tonight he tried to get cute with his passes and was burned.

xjzico
01-27-2011, 09:57 PM
They have what GU used to have- great guards. But GU will have great guards again.
Seems like a huge gamble to me.

seattlezag
01-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Parity has finally come to the WCC! This is good because: the conference will be taken more seriously, and the Zags will have to "up" their game and stop making sloppy, silly mistakes. Can they do anything at the tournament? Or will they get blown out?

RenoZag
01-27-2011, 10:23 PM

:explode:

If they were the best ever, they wouldn't be looking at playing THREE in Vegas instead of TWO

75Zag
01-27-2011, 11:39 PM
I still believe the Bulldogs have a better than 50/50 chance of making the NCAA by winning the tournament in Vegas. Hope they do, obviously.

As far as the WCC regular season title goes, it looks like this is St. Mary's year. I am not so sure it is a bad thing to have somebody else win it once in a while. Most people outside the conference view the WCC as "Gonzaga and the 7 Dwarfs". I think it is best for everyone if the entire conference has some national respect and obviously St. Mary's is helping on that (and BYU will help build on that next year).

Go Bulldogs! Win in Vegas!

sullyzag66
01-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Humiliations to humility. St. Ignatius would approve.

gamagin
01-28-2011, 05:58 AM
He wrote a column for the Sacramento Bee for a dozen years.

"The WCC is getting stronger, really stronger, as the Zags become increasingly human. And that they are, with Stephen Gray a bit out of focus and Elias Harris the same, and all that inexperience on the bench the only backup at the moment, as promising as it is.

Something's not clicking with these guys but plenty of time to deal with it including the remainder of the season, the WCC tourney and, indeed, next year. Mickey McConnell is unreal, on top of it all."

I think this sums up what I saw last night, too, in the K2, besides a really good SMC basketball team refusing to fold, a fabulous crowd supporting the Zags and some really great, competitive basketball on both sides.

I'd like to blame the refs, but in the end, we had our chances in this game of inches and we got beat. It's happened before. WE see the light and make a run at it, but we can't, for myriad reasons, make it through the tunnel.

Meanwhile, SMC, which has clawed its way against us many, many, times, did find a way to get just enough shots inside when they needed them. This after they were fairly well denied from long distance for extended periods of time. Then McConnell willed an off balance circus shot with 1.2 seconds left in regulation to seal it for the Gaels.

It was a good game with alot of great effort on both sides. The last team to have possession of the ball when time ran out, won it.

So what's left for the Zags ?

Two teams, SMC & San Diego, have made it to the dance via the WCC tourney in recent years. It was their only chance at that time, too.

We could be the third. It's our final option and it is certainly doable with many games yet to play and much more time to keep developing this young team.

With all the weight of past Zag teams sewing up the conference early on now lifted, this team and even we fans, still have a good chance to make a mark and hang a banner in the K2 before this season is in the record books forever.

It's all really up to us. It always has been that way. I say we stop chewing on each other, and eating our young, and just go for it.

bigblahla
01-28-2011, 06:15 AM
He wrote a column for the Sacramento Bee for a dozen years.

"The WCC is getting stronger, really stronger, as the Zags become increasingly human. And that they are, with Stephen Gray a bit out of focus and Elias Harris the same, and all that inexperience on the bench the only backup at the moment, as promising as it is.

Something's not clicking with these guys but plenty of time to deal with it including the remainder of the season, the WCC tourney and, indeed, next year. Mickey McConnell is unreal, on top of it all."

I think this sums up what I saw last night, too, in the K2, besides a really good SMC basketball team refusing to fold, a fabulous crowd supporting the Zags and some really great, competitive basketball on both sides.

I'd like to blame the refs, but in the end, we had our chances in this game of inches and we got beat. It's happened before. WE see the light and make a run at it, but we can't, for myriad reasons, make it through the tunnel.

Meanwhile, SMC, which has clawed its way against us many, many, times, did find a way to get just enough shots inside when they needed them. This after they were fairly well denied from long distance for extended periods of time. Then McConnell willed an off balance circus shot with 1.2 seconds left in regulation to seal it for the Gaels.

It was a good game with alot of great effort on both sides. The last team to have possession of the ball when time ran out, won it.

So what's left for the Zags ?

Two teams, SMC & San Diego, have made it to the dance via the WCC tourney in recent years. It was their only chance at that time, too.

We could be the third. It's our final option and it is certainly doable with many games yet to play and much more time to keep developing this young team.

With all the weight of past Zag teams sewing up the conference early on now lifted, this team and even we fans, still have a good chance to make a mark and hang a banner in the K2 before this season is in the record books forever.

It's all really up to us. It always has been that way. I say we stop chewing on each other, and eating our young, and just go for it.

Well said gam. It's time to grow a chip.

Go!! Zags!!!

kclubfounder
01-28-2011, 06:23 AM
If we get hot, run the table, and lose in the championship game at Vegas I think we still get in.

Not saying that's gonna happen. In fact, it is highly improbable.

But it is one other way to get in.

seattlezag
01-28-2011, 08:20 AM
This team just doesn't show the ability to "get hot and run the table" at this point in the season. I want to believe it, but I think their confidence is damaged and the chemistry isn't there. I see more WCC losses on the horizon before the tournament the way they're playing.

EngineerZag
01-28-2011, 08:32 AM
I think we'll lose on the road to both LMU and SMC and maybe UP. Not looking good since 5 of our 7 second-half-of-league-play games are on the road.