PDA

View Full Version : WCC Integrity

ZagAddict
01-27-2011, 09:03 PM
True to my word, I am no longer attending GU games as long as they are in the WCC. This league's officials aren't credible, and the league has always wanted to see GU fall from it's heights (whether you want to believe it or not). The game between GU and SMC was predetermined before the game even started. With 8 minutes left, the 4th fouls on Sacre and Gray (our 2 best players) were ridiculous. The officiating is the worst I see each year as I watch any conference in D1 basketball.

Absoulutely incredible...

thickman1
01-27-2011, 09:09 PM
The officiating is just atrocious.

Sacre's 2nd foul - a "let's be fair" foul when he was horse-collared to the ground was garbage.

His 4th foul was garbage - if anything it was a charge by jones or block by dower

Gray's 4th and 5th foul were ridiculous as was the continuation on Meech's foul with just under 4:00 to play.

ZagAddict
01-27-2011, 09:10 PM
The officiatiing continues to get even better as we get closer to the end of the game... and a reminder, THERE IS NO CONTINUATION in college basketball. :argh:

ronh_pm
01-27-2011, 09:10 PM
I bailed off of Phillys broadcast after Stephens (deserved) 5th...shame about the 3rd and 4th that were non consequenting hand checks.

Im at the point with the WCC where Im thinking I just wasted 300 bucks for Vegas tickets.

ZagLawGrad
01-27-2011, 09:12 PM
I bailed off of Phillys broadcast after Stephens (deserved) 5th...shame about the 3rd and 4th that were non consequenting hand checks.

Im at the point with the WCC where Im thinking I just wasted 300 bucks for Vegas tickets.

I'll give ya $200 for em :)

ZagAddict
01-27-2011, 09:13 PM
I have to admit, besides the officiating, we aren't paying any attention to Mickey McConnell. He will knock down every open look, and we don't have a player to keep a hand in his face. Embarrassing :(

NEC26
01-27-2011, 09:15 PM
These refs ROCK BABY!!!!!!

ZagAddict
01-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Amazing... no call on Sacre with 30 seconds left... just further confirms my feelings about this conference and the officiating.

thickman1
01-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Amazing... no call on Sacre with 30 seconds left... just further confirms my feelings about this conference and the officiating.

hard to disagree with the push in the back and front on that play.

Ezag
01-27-2011, 09:26 PM
In 15 years of following GU Ball, I have NEVER blamed games on Bad officiating but I can't say that any longer. 3 Games in a row have been horribly officiated and have most definitely affected the outcome of each game. Sad, very sad!

ZagAddict
01-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Anyone willing to join my sitout? This officiating is ridiculous. I at least want to see an even competition, but when you handicap GU and force their 2nd team to basically end the game I won't suppor this league any longer. COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS... the league finally has what it wants... GU down from on top and a completely average league. SMC is nowhere near 25 material after their embarrassment to Vanderbuilt and cupcake schedule.

ZagAddict
01-27-2011, 09:27 PM
In 15 years of following GU Ball, I have NEVER blamed games on Bad officiating but I can't say that any longer. 3 Games in a row have been horribly officiated and have most definitely affected the outcome of each game. Sad, very sad!

Sounds like another believer...

Saxon_zag
01-27-2011, 09:27 PM
True to my word, I am no longer attending GU games as long as they are in the WCC. This league's officials aren't credible, and the league has always wanted to see GU fall from it's heights (whether you want to believe it or not). The game between GU and SMC was predetermined before the game even started. With 8 minutes left, the 4th fouls on Sacre and Gray (our 2 best players) were ridiculous. The officiating is the worst I see each year as I watch any conference in D1 basketball.

Honestly that's all espn is hyping up is Saint mary's taking over the reign and Farnham was riding Randy Bennets' and the officials nutsacks the whole game. They replay all the calls they deem questionable that go in our favor (the gray no call pushing off steindl) but not even a mention of Sacre getting tackled their towards the end. Only talking about Sacre walking over the SMC big guy but no mention of why he was mad (the extra forearm he received to the face)

Farnham can gave a good time at the post-game party where he can toss all the Randy Bennett and wcc official salad he wants. The officiating in this league is beyond bad, it makes it unwatchable.

Although not quite as bad as how Few handles the rotations on this team. No arop or keita at all but he will run a 3 guard lineup with stockton, carter and meech????? Has it ever occured to him to put E at the 3 with dower and rob at the 4 and 5??? Nevermind he should just let sam dower hit what all 5 of his shots the 2nd half? Then pull him for the stretch? Holy crap...

webspinnre
01-27-2011, 09:28 PM
The crazy part is lack of ability to make any sort of consistent call. They called all sorts of fouls in the first half on SMC, then decided second half they needed to make up for their bad first half by having an even worse one. A foul is a foul, no matter what point in the game.

And yes, 3 steps after a foul is either not a foul or not a basket. Pick one or the other, not both.

Hoopaholic
01-27-2011, 09:31 PM
I am not a ref basher, never have been but the "lets even this out" foul on Sacre when he was taken to the ground, given a choke hold and then as he got up was "Kneed, hip checked" by the SMC player losing his balance....

THAT ONE "even up call" forced Sacre to sit for 8 minutes....just flat out wrong

wont even get into the take down with 40 seconds left in game

Saxon_zag
01-27-2011, 09:34 PM
why would this get moved.. Clearly about gonzaga basketball.

rijman
01-27-2011, 09:36 PM
I've lost all confidence in the WCC refs. They took over the game tonight, which the announcers mentioned at one point. The refs took Sacre and Gray out of the game.

Did anyone besides me notice that after Sacre was taken down and called for a foul for walking into the player who tackled him that he was PUSHED from behind by a St. Mary's player? He was getting up, off balance and pushed from behind. The announcers made no mention of it although it was shown a dozen times and they discussed every aspect of the fouls except the push by the third player.

No confidence in the WCC refs whatsoever. Between the Zags inability to score when they need to at the end of games and playing against the refs, it's going to be a long season then real short at the end of conference play.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-27-2011, 09:40 PM

- "I want the truth!"
- "The mods can't handle the truth!"

In all seriousness, it's embarassing. I feel like we can't have a player make an aggressive move to the basket without being called for an offensive foul. At the same time, any incidental contact on defense gets a call. The WCC officials overwelmingly favors finesse teams. I can't stand watching it.

Have fun next year, BYU fans. You're gonna feel like you're taking crazy pills.

ZagAddict
01-27-2011, 09:44 PM

+1 Can't believe this thread was moved. Agree or disagree it is about GU basketball, not WCC baskeball in general.

I guess we don't want to say anything negative about the outstanding conference we play in and believe supports an level playing field amoung athletics.

ZagAddict
01-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Still continuing my WCC sit out whether or not this thread was moved from the GU basketball topic or not. I just don't believe in watching horribly officiated basketball from a confrerence standpoint, and I truly believe it is supported from a conference standpoint. The WCC has been waiting with anticipation the day that some team would unseat GU and bring mediocre play back to the WCC. I wouldn't watch this if it were ACC or PAC 10 basketball. The calls are absolutely horrible...

tobizag
01-28-2011, 05:49 AM
I
Did anyone besides me notice that after Sacre was taken down and called for a foul for walking into the player who tackled him that he was PUSHED from behind by a St. Mary's player? He was getting up, off balance and pushed from behind. The announcers made no mention of it although it was shown a dozen times and they discussed every aspect of the fouls except the push by the third player.

we noticed it over here. re-watched it on the dvr several times. rob jones goes to push rob in the back, and simultaneously an official goes to grab rob, trying to stop him from doing...well, nothing. in any case, those two guys pushed rob over the top of that big ugly. how on earth was that worthy of a double foul? clearly gets tackled, and the announcers say sacre shouldn't have stepped up agressively after that....um, how about "big ugly shouldn't have tackled him, that deserves to be a flagrant or intentional foul." we also watched on the dvr the st mary's reaction while walking to the bench so the refs could "sort it out" . mick clearly tells big ugly "nice job baby". so, they're congratulating their players on getting our big men into scuffles?

this was so reminiscent of the wake forest game last year in a lot of ways. after the big crappy call in the non-scuffle, the entire game changes in favor of the visiting team. think our opponents don't recognize this? watch for more of these moments in the coming games. book it.

EngineerZag
01-28-2011, 08:29 AM
That whole sequence really sucked, there's no way Rob should have been called for a foul.

That being said, he's got to not let stuff like that get in his head. He clearly did not perform as well after that incident.

cjm720
01-28-2011, 08:30 AM

Can I get your tickets?

UberZagFan
01-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Unwatchable. There was no way the take down on RS was a double foul. And not so sure that RS let that "affect his game" as much as the fact that it put him in foul trouble. That's what affected his game.

To be fair, these contests are not 5 vs. 8. They are 5 vs. 5 vs. 3. Completely ridiculous.

But Webster's has it right:

referee: a sports official usually having final authority in administering a game

sittingon50
01-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Hey, the WCC office is afloat because of all the NCAA Tourney money that the Zags have brought in in the last 10 years. Pretty sure they don't want to make their cash cow go away.

GU's rep brings a lot of attention to the entire league.

jake
01-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Put me in the not a believer category. The refs are not out to get us. They are not more inconsistent regarding our calls. I'm not saying they are great, but all teams are playing with the same officials. If the other teams can adapt better, that's to their credit. I know others are passionate about this issue, but I just don't agree that the referees are a major contributing factor to our conference record.

On the take down, the St. Mary's guy did not do a malicious take down, but it clearly was a foul. Whether or not Rob deserved a foul I don't know. He did do an unnecessary push off with his arm on the ground. I agree that he was pushed by Jones and the referee into the SMC player after he got up. His 4th foul was a phantom call, but that kind of thing happens in most games. Games are not officiated perfectly, ever. I can't believe anyone on here is questioning Gray's 5th foul, but I've seen a few. It was a clear charge. He has a tendancy to push off when he drives in and that was a clear call.

This whole business of questioning the integrity of the WCC and their officials is silly to me. We've played poorly some of the year and great other parts of the year. Last night we lost to a team that is, at least right now, better than we are. I hope the team is not following the lead of half of this message board and focusing on external factors to explain why we are 3-3. We need to look inward, figure out what we can do to get back in the groove, and then get it done.

maynard g krebs
01-28-2011, 12:13 PM
After seeing the calls (and non-calls) the last 3 games, I'm gonna put on the tinfoil hat and jump in on the conspiracy side.

D1 sports is big business, with big salaries and expenses.to pay. In the WCC, hardly anybody goes to games in which the Zags are not playing, with the exception on SMC's home games. When you have a league in which most fans believe their team is overmatched by a team with superior talent and has no chance, the result is apathy, except for that one game a year. And apathy is bad for business.

Looks to me like an attempt to stir up interest at other WCC schools. But I doubt it will be done every year. As 50 said, they wouldn't want to kill the golden goose- just wound it a little to stir up interest.

hondo
01-28-2011, 12:31 PM
DVRs and slow motion replay on HDTV really expose bad reffing and last night was no exception.
Did anyone else notice Dave Libbey sitting on the north side midcourt scorers table?
The home team was not about to get any favorable calls.

ZagMania
01-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Not that I know anything of WCC politics, but it would make a lot more sense to me for the WCC to want to preserve Gonzaga's reputation. Without us, we're probably about as relevant nationally as the WAC.

Paint.It.Gray
01-28-2011, 12:42 PM
would you guys still be crying if the officiating went the other way?

I can guarentee Few isnt sabotaging his own team, and I'm sure the refs aren't sabotaging the biggest conference game of the year. this team really needs to get over itself. whether the conference is better this year or the zags simply aren't as good, every team loses a couple here and there. maybe this is the year we sit back and recognize the amazing streak our boys have been on the past decade. all good things come to end sometime

webspinnre
01-28-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm sure the refs aren't intentionally sabotaging GU. That's crazy talk. However, there are clear examples of being more athletic or stronger resulting in fouls going against us (see Sacre, Rob and Gray, Steven).