PDA

View Full Version : The Dagger

sdzag
01-27-2011, 08:42 AM
This will be the biggest game in St. Marys recent history. With one win tonight they can basically clinch league, knock the Zags out of the NCAA tourny at large-bid, and make a statement that they are truly the best team in the WCC this year. This is going to be HUGE for them.

For us it's the first step on the road to redeeming a season. I hope the players know that every game for the rest of the season is our Superbowl. There is NO more chances to slip up. We win or it's all about Vegas.

It will be interesting because this game represents a potential huge turning point in the trajectory of both teams. We need this win and much as they do.

History is on our side at the kennel but these Aussie don't seem to care. The Gaels are holding the dagger to a wounded Zags squad. Will this be there kill shot or will it be our rise from the ashes?

Go Zags!

webspinnre
01-27-2011, 08:52 AM
I think you mean at-large bid, but the general point is good. This game is a big one for both sides.

zagzilla
01-27-2011, 09:20 AM
I don't care for this metaphor at all. Sounds defeatist. No negative energy allowed on game days.

GU is the 10 time defending champ and owns the WCC until further notice. Pressure is on SMC not GU.

We hold the advantages here-psychological as well as emotional on our home court.

Sorry Gaels-not tonight.

Go Zags,

ZZ

gamagin
01-27-2011, 10:15 AM
This will be the biggest game in St. Marys recent history. With one win tonight they can basically clinch league, knock the Zags out of the NCAA tourny at large-bid, and make a statement that they are truly the best team in the WCC this year. This is going to be HUGE for them.

For us it's the first step on the road to redeeming a season. I hope the players know that every game for the rest of the season is our Superbowl. There is NO more chances to slip up. We win or it's all about Vegas.

It will be interesting because this game represents a potential huge turning point in the trajectory of both teams. We need this win and much as they do.

History is on our side at the kennel but these Aussie don't seem to care. The Gaels are holding the dagger to a wounded Zags squad. Will this be there kill shot or will it be our rise from the ashes? Go Zags!

Spot on. It is time to step up.

Reborn
01-27-2011, 10:22 AM
I don't care for this metaphor at all. Sounds defeatist. No negative energy allowed on game days.

GU is the 10 time defending champ and owns the WCC until further notice. Pressure is on SMC not GU.

We hold the advantages here-psychological as well as emotional on our home court.

Sorry Gaels-not tonight.

Go Zahs,

ZZ

I'm on your side here, zagzilla, but sdzag has the realists on his side, and I think most of the analysts. I am so excited for the game tonight. The WCC is finally becoming the conference that I have hoped it would be. I would rather have this feeling of "not knowing" if we're going to win than that feeling of "Oh, here's another WCC game. I wonder how many points we'll win by." No. Its not that way now. It's going to be a very exciting race to the end.

Zig-Zag
01-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Great Post!! We need to stop playing not to lose "Sky is falling mentality " and leave it all on the floor. :drool:

Baldwinzag
01-27-2011, 10:25 AM

While the former may be true, the latter couldn't be further from it...

'zilla, we lose tonight & the league Championship is essentially lost. We must be willing to accept this in order to stop it from occurring. The time is now or never for these Zags. Just because we've won 10 straight titles doesn't mean we're entitled to our 11th.

We're the 4th place team nearing mid-season in Conference. If this isn't a MUST win, I don't know what is ---

Nice post & well said, SDzag.

Zags control their own destiny from here on out & the biggest step we can take starts tonight.

DenDiegoZag
01-27-2011, 10:48 AM
While the former may be true, the latter couldn't be further from it...

'zilla, we lose tonight & the league Championship is essentially lost. We must be willing to accept this in order to stop it from occurring. The time is now or never for these Zags. Just because we've won 10 straight titles doesn't mean we're entitled to our 11th.

We're the 4th place team nearing mid-season in Conference. If this isn't a MUST win, I don't know what is ---

Nice post & well said, SDzag.

Zags control their own destiny from here on out & the biggest step we can take starts tonight.

To add one thing from 2 great posts (sdzag and Baldwin) - The teams that one 10 in a row are not this team. Each Zag team has to earn the championship on their own. We do not get spotted a game in conference just because we won last year, and St. Mary's does not care whether last year's team won again or not. They are looking at this year's Zags.

As the cliche goes, "you are only as good as your last game." So the storyline really is which team executes better tonight coming off what happened last weekend.

Just score more than the Gales tonight. The rest of the season needs to be baby steps.

Let's Go Zags!

zagzilla
01-27-2011, 12:12 PM
The point I'm making is about one's attitude and the reality that creates. There's a difference between "playing to win" and "playing not to lose."

The Zags need to be thinking about what they will do to SMC tonight (deny the 3, own the board, turn them over, etc...) not worry about the "dagger" pointed at them.

Of course it's a huge game. The title is on the line. Bragging rights are at stake. The mindset they have when entering a contest like this might make the difference between victory and defeat.

Part of that mentality is reminding SMC of the pressure they face as the challenger. Fans, coaches, players, everybody are part of this tonight.

ZZ

sdzag
01-27-2011, 12:27 PM
The point that I am making is that both teams have an equal amount invested in this game. Gaels need to this win to prove that they are the alpha dogs in the conference now and we need it to keep the belt. This is a championship fight and we are coming in after two bad losses. The Gaels are also reeling a bit but not like we are. I'll let Few coach the team but no one is more pessimistic then Sdzag except maybe Baldwinzag who still thinks we have to become D2 after this season.

Reborn
01-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Personally, I agree with zagzill still. It is St. Mary's who is walking into a hornet's nest tonight. Sure. They are holding the dagger, and they believe it's going to cut the Zag's throat. But Have you ever walked into a Hornet's Nest? Have you ever walked into K2 on a night like this with 6,000 hornets attacking you from every side? It is not just the Zag team who is showing up tonight. It is ZagNation who is showing up. It is the pride of this nation that's at steak tonight. And believe me the Zags know this.

The Zags do not need to feel the threat of that dagger the Gaels seem to hold. No. All they need to do is to remember who they are. They need to spend a little time alone and remember who they are. That's all. And as they remember individually, they will unite as a team. I believe the losses that this team has suffered this year are what will motivate the Zags tonight, not the dagger. It is the pride of ZagNation that will motive us tonight. Not the dagger that the GAELS seem to hold in their fist.

Oh believe me the Zags know what's at steak tonight. And they know they are playing in the Kennel. There is a time and a place where history intervenes into the present, and somehow changes the present. The lessons of our history has proven that. I believe that tonight once more the history of the Zags, all of those Zags who have made Gonzaga what it is today will somehow be present in K2 tonight. As SDZag so aptly put it, this is the turning point tonight. When we look back at this season, it will be this game on this night in K2 that the 2010-2011 Zag's season turned around

cjm720
01-27-2011, 12:50 PM
We have way more pressure on our shoulders than St. Mary's...League title is on the line and we're at home, a place we're expected to win.

Personally, I'm not sure what team will show up today...in my 20 years actively following the Zags, this squad is really difficult to figure out. Play defense, crisp passing, keep them honest on D and with some momentum from the Kennel Club, we can with this game!!!

Go Zags!!!

Colbyspapa
01-27-2011, 01:01 PM
ZZ,

SMC has nothing to lose. We do. This game means a lot to both teams, but the pressure is on us. If SMC loses, they still get us in their gym and we have one more loss than they do. As Coach Few has said, "It is all about the league championship."

We focus a lot on NCAA tournaments because that is when the world gets to see our school, but the league title has to be a source of pride for our guys. It has to mean just as much if not more.

ronh_pm
01-27-2011, 01:03 PM
The Gaels have had five days to dwell on a serious ass kicking they took when they played a good team.

They also know they have played one "bonifide" program since BYU in November and were run out of the gym.

They also know that the Kennel is not an easy place to play and that they will be playing a Zags team that will be desparate for a win.

To say they do not have pressure on them is nuts. I would rather be the Zags than the Gaels tonight by a mile.

UberZagFan
01-27-2011, 01:47 PM
This game is much bigger for GU than St. Mary's. As others have said, this game is at GU and St. Mary's still has GU at their home down the road. A win for SMC tonight would be considered gravy. A loss for SMC tonight does not knock them out of WCC contention, does not knock them out of contending for an at-large bid--but a loss for GU, then it's definitely all about Vegas.

With that said, a SMC loss tonight could very easily lead to a 3 losing streak for them and would prevent a GU 3 game loss streak. This game could turn the tide--one way or the other for each team.

coolhandzag
01-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Wanna hold a dagger? Don't lose to Vandy by 19.

GO ZAGS.

zagzilla
01-27-2011, 02:39 PM
I don't disagree with the reality that we have more to lose tonight but the point is that I want SMC thinking about the pressure they are under and what they have lose and force THEM to cope with fear.

Gaels need to worry about...
*Why oddmakers have GU as a favorite (A: because we are the better team)
*GU has lost once to a WCC opponent @K2......ever
*Is their W-L record inflated-previous WCC road wins are vs LMU and Pep who are weak. Wins vs better WCC teams were at home.
*They have yet to prove they can beat a quality opponent on the road
*Teams that live by the 3 die on the road
*What will they do about Sacre inside

ZZ