PDA

View Full Version : The Jimmer

Pargo the Destroyer
01-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Guy is just sick. Given Gonzaga's propensity to give up monster games to guards, I'm glad we won't have to face him. He's got 20 in 19 minutes thus far. Helluva college player.

RenoZag
01-26-2011, 06:54 PM
That will be a tough arena to visit. . .great home crowd. Imagine how they would be if they could get liquored up ! Why, why, they. . .would. . .be. . .

Boring Mormons

gamagin
01-26-2011, 06:56 PM
15 points BYU scored. unreal. Yet sdsu canned a trey to lead by one at the half. good game. gamers.

MDABE80
01-26-2011, 07:01 PM
It's a bigtime venue!
We can win anywhere!
Jimmers is quite the major player. Enough speed...not great.... but enough.
Shoots the lights out.

jazzdelmar
01-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Lotta DD in that boy

Pure
01-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Jimmer is impressive.

The young man has serious game . Fun to watch

Zagguy
01-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Wait until they get to experience WCC refs.

ridgebackzag
01-26-2011, 07:59 PM

Jimmer is NBA-bound, he won't have to worry about it.

jazzdelmar
01-26-2011, 08:01 PM
A 6-2 Chris Mullin....

Zagguy
01-26-2011, 08:02 PM
True - he is the bomb (literally). However, the rest will have to really change their game if this is a typical MWC reffed game.

MDABE80
01-26-2011, 08:03 PM
If...(a big IF)...Pangos and/or Bell are this good, I'll be in heaven for 4 years.

RenoZag
01-26-2011, 08:10 PM
If...(a big IF)...Pangos and/or Bell are this good, I'll be in heaven for 4 years.

Giddy with anticipation, Abe ?

jazzdelmar
01-26-2011, 08:15 PM

from what we know, i wd not think either has a game like jimmer....not to say they cd not be as exciting...we had two like him in the last decade...we were blessed.

23dpg
01-26-2011, 08:18 PM
If Pangos and Bell are first team AAs and national POY candidates I guess I will be happy too.

Cmon guys, rein it in a little.

PS. Jimmer is too quick for Mullin. Mullin was crafty slow.

Pargo the Destroyer
01-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Jimmer with 43. Love how a senior steps up in a big conference game.
CoughStevenGrayCough.

MJ777
01-26-2011, 09:02 PM
That was the best refereed game I've seen this year. The refs did not let the crowd influence them and let both teams play physical. The Aztecs on the other hand let the crowd, the altitude and the Jimmer affect them. Jimmer sure looked like a ball hog to me at times, but if you got game then why not?

CDC84
01-26-2011, 09:07 PM
He's a better version of Dan Dickau.

Fredette has Dickau's shooting touch and feel for the game, but Dan didn't have Jimmer's first step and the amount of moves that Jimmer has off the bounce. Fredette has got every kind of dribble and fake and change of direction in the book. He knows all the tricks. San Diego State is a very good defensive team with a lot of athleticism, and they had no one who could stop him tonight.

Which brings up another question....why don't teams just box and one the kid when he is responsible for so much of BYU's offense? Just take him out. Same thing with Kemba Walker at UConn. I think coaches sometimes have egos which prevent them from waving the white flag.....even when it gives their team a better chance at winning.

FuManShoes
01-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Jimmer with 43. Love how a senior steps up in a big conference game.
CoughStevenGrayCough.

Low blow.

RenoZag
01-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Low blow.

More like the truth hurts

zagco
01-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Why show a box and one or a gimmick defense now, when you can save that for the conference tournament?

FuManShoes
01-26-2011, 09:59 PM
More like the truth hurts

What, that Steven isn't the scorer that Jimmer is? Yeah, I'll give you that. I'll also say Gray doesn't take 25 shots a game.

PS - Gray is hurt. If you don't think that's affecting his game, well, I don't know what to say.

Pargo the Destroyer
01-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Low blow.

My quote was in reference to the future not the past, Fu. I fully expect Steven to have a whale of a game tomorrow night. I dont think Stevens choked in any conference games, or any other games otherwise. I havent bashed him once, ever. All I'm saying is I want a senior to do what a senior does in a big game, at home, against your rival.

sittingon50
01-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Steven put 35 on SDSU. Don't think anyone needs to be calling him out.

WallaWallaZag
01-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Steven put 35 on SDSU. Don't think anyone needs to be calling him out.

exactly...if steven had any help at all that game we would have won it.

on the other hand, we haven't exactly seen the sdsu steven recently...would be nice if he could show up tomorrow.

gozagswoohoo
01-27-2011, 06:30 AM
He is good.

Birddog
01-27-2011, 06:37 AM
The Jimmer = Baller

U Zig, I Zag
01-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Quite a shooter.

Now, what are the odds he is any good in 'League?

This type of play, while incredible in college, doesn't translate well to the NBA for some reason. Need to be a little taller, a little quicker, etc. Ammo had more of a chance (he was taller, an advantage) and he bombed. Riddick still plays though. Steph Curry does well at times (he is on a crummy team, so it's hard to tell).

Just glad the WCC is Jimmer-free next year! ;)

FuManShoes
01-27-2011, 07:57 AM
If I was a betting man, I'd say Kawhi Leonard has a better chance at sticking in today's NBA given his explosiveness and nose for the ball, especially on the offensive glass. That said, Maybe Jimmer can end up a Ben Gordon-type scorer in the league. Their numbers look comparable.

ZagMan in Philly
01-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Jimmer is freakishly awesome , his shooting touch and the ability to get his shots off is mesmerising, he is becoming an icon in the world of sports.
Very much enjoyed watching the game last night.

Even sportillustrated article could not jinx him

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1181209/index.htm

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/BYU-s-Jimmer-Fredette-now-has-the-attention-of-e?urn=ncaab-313094

zagitup
01-27-2011, 08:10 AM

That, coupled with losing both Fredette and Emory, makes for a 2011-2012 BYU team that will be a lot less potent than they are this year.

former1dog
01-27-2011, 08:14 AM
This might not make much sense to anyone else, but I really think SDSU is/was a much better team that BYU.... Its just that BYU has Jimmer.

His season is very similar to the one AMMO had for GU his junior season and he's going to get a lot of deserved accolades.

GrizZAG
01-27-2011, 09:21 AM
No doubt Jimmer was the huge factor, but SDSU faced a formidable defense from that entire team. They were on em like glue all night long. BYU coach knows what he is doing on D.

ZagMania
01-27-2011, 09:34 AM
It is very unfair to compare Gray to the best player in college basketball right now just because he is a senior. Nearly every other player is failing by that standard.

Jimmer was electrifying last night. He sure does make a lot of decisions in the air though, which leads to some turnovers. It also makes it that much more stupifying that he drains so many of those shots when you know he is blanketed and deciding whether to pass or shoot in his head while in midair.

cjm720
01-27-2011, 09:36 AM
That was the best refereed game I've seen this year. The refs did not let the crowd influence them and let both teams play physical. The Aztecs on the other hand let the crowd, the altitude and the Jimmer affect them. Jimmer sure looked like a ball hog to me at times, but if you got game then why not?

Agreed. I was wishing we had those refs...just way more fun to watch and play without hearing a whistle every minute.

Jimmmer reminds me of a mix of DD and Ammo. I bet he could have been a heck of a running back too. The Big East coaches must sigh over this one...lol.

I wish he wasn't graduating, from an entertainment perspective...

hockeyzag
01-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Can anyone find a link to the replay of the game from last night? I can't find it anywhere. I was unable to watch the game last night because we don't get the cbs sports channel, so I want to catch a little bit of what I missed.

gamagin
01-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Can anyone find a link to the replay of the game from last night? I can't find it anywhere. I was unable to watch the game last night because we don't get the cbs sports channel, so I want to catch a little bit of what I missed.

http://www.justin.tv/

gozagswoohoo
01-27-2011, 10:49 AM
TOP QUIZ:

In tonights game vs St. Mary's, would you rather Steven Gray........

Option A: Show up like Jimmer did in last night's game, and totally own and destroy everyone, scoring dozens of points and leading his team to a win.

-or-

Option B: Not play very good at all, and score like 4 points.

I'll post my answer in a little bit.

kdoggy
01-27-2011, 10:57 AM
I think the Dickau comparison is spot on. He is hitting folk hero status as white dudes with mad game often do. Even brothers are giving him props. Who knows where his skills take him, but right now in college hoops, there isn't a better player.

To bring this back to GU hoops. This is what they lack this year. Not neccesarily a once a decade player, but a guy with All-American, NBA caliber skills. Gonzaga has had that going back many years now. Dickau, Turiaf, Adam, I would say even a Pargo and Heytvelt level of player is lacking this year. I think you just need at least these type of players to be a really good team. Can't wait for Bell!

UberZagFan
01-27-2011, 02:06 PM
He is good.

Understatement of the year.

HillBillyZag
01-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Why did you even mention race in your post ? What if someone else had posted that some of the white guys even think that Billy White , that black kid , can play the game , I'm not being critical , but just reverse the situation ?If every remark has to be anaylized for political correctness it has to work both ways ?

kdoggy
01-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Sorry, HB, I don't govern my speech to the dictates of political correctness any way you slice it. In any event, for anyone to say, "that dude is pretty good....for a black guy" is odd and doesn't fit reality. Its just not something that would be said by anyone. When a white guy is really, really good...almost everyone acknowledges, at least privately, "hey that white guy is unreal." Just the way the world of hoops is. Nothing malicious or racist about it. I suppose there will be more PC words to describe The Jimmers game. Trust me, they'll be lots of talk about his Basketball IQ, his heady play, tireless worker while the talk of him being possible a step slow for the NBA, defensive liability etc...when you break it down, we know what that all means. Its just a way of saying, that white guy is good.

I'm not a guy that pretends to be colorblind, more of a celebrate our differences sort of guy.