PDA

View Full Version : Make your pick: Gonzaga vs St. Mary's

Reborn
01-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Gonzaga 82
St. Mary's 69

Come on Zags. Make us proud!

The Zags are just too good at home. They are definitely ready to win this one. The team looks great, and show the fans who believe in them that we have a reason to believe in them. The team, as it turns out, is not as bad as so many think, and the road trip to Northern California last week was not a sign that the Zags are bad, but a sign that the WCC is getting tougher. It's Nice to get back on the winning track.

LongIslandZagFan
01-26-2011, 12:19 PM
SMC 88
Zags 71

Threes raining down endlessly.

Sorry folks. No superstitions here, think the boys are gonna have their bells rung... loudly. Hope I am wrong.

FlyZag
01-26-2011, 12:21 PM
SMC = 89
GU = 69

Embarrassing loss at home.

They out shoot us, out hustle us and out smart us. Take the crowd out early.

ugh. long night.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-26-2011, 12:23 PM
It is time for the home crowd to will the team to a hard-fought victory with lots of floor burns.

I predict that the student section gives their best performance of the year and silences all of us old-timers who have questioned their spirit in recent weeks.

Gonzaga 76. St. Mary's 72.

2wiceright
01-26-2011, 12:27 PM
The Gaels continue their shooting slump (so to speak) on the road, as we return to form.
Zags 82
Gaels 69 :cheers:

ZagLawGrad
01-26-2011, 12:35 PM
but have to give the nod to the Gaels by at least 8 points. Zags just haven't shown anything recently to think otherwise.

jbslicer
01-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Zags by 11. 72-61.
I'm not quite feeling the love for SMC. Some of you folks have annointed them as the WCC's version of Ohio State or Kansas. I think last years team with Samham was better.

bigblahla
01-26-2011, 01:00 PM
The Gaels continue their shooting slump (so to speak) on the road, as we return to form.
Zags 82
Gaels 69 :cheers:

I like your style hopefully you are thriceright. :D

Go!! Zags!!!

DCZag
01-26-2011, 01:38 PM
This ain't Vegas --- Zags win and you naysayers eat crow

Pargo the Destroyer
01-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Eff the Gaels. Zags big.

zagsballer
01-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Closest thing we have to a rivalry, yet our "fans" go on record saying they think we will lose. I just don't get that????

Would A Coug ever pick the Huskies to beat them in Pullman? I dont care how bad or good either side is. We are supposed to be fanatics of the Zags aren't we?

I can be realistic that this year has not gone the way that I expected it to, but shoot...

I got my zags winning by 8 in a brawl of a game. I will be there loud and proud!

Go Zags!

Reborn
01-26-2011, 02:31 PM
I think that any Zag fan who has a ticket for the game tomorrow night and believes the Zags are going to lose should have enough heart to give their ticket to someone who believes in this team. K2 is to small for any negative nannies there. We need K2 packed with fans that want to cripple the Gaels and send them home with a wounded pride.

I'd love to go if any of you want to sell your ticket to me!!!!

Pure
01-26-2011, 02:39 PM
The Gaels Gone Wild . Their shots that is Clank Clank (great video though)

Zags - 78
Gaels - 62

Then the planets Align , and all will be right in the world ...

jbslicer
01-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Hey Reborn, excellent post. I agree 100%.

UberZagFan
01-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Zags 85
Gaels 79

ZagsGoZags
01-26-2011, 03:02 PM
my prediction: Gaels 83 Zags 79
my hope as a loyal fan: Zags 83 Gaels 79

zaguarxj
01-26-2011, 03:03 PM
I agree with Reborn. Please send me a PM if you have tickets and think the Zags are going to lose. I promise I'll bring some major positive vibes if you let me take a ticket off of your hands.

Papa K
01-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Gonzaga 84
St. Marys 72

Zags come out with a refuse to lose attitude that we haven't seen this year.

ID ZAGFAN
01-26-2011, 03:12 PM
I think that any Zag fan who has a ticket for the game tomorrow night and believes the Zags are going to lose should have enough heart to give their ticket to someone who believes in this team. K2 is to small for any negative nannies there. We need K2 packed with fans that want to cripple the Gaels and send them home with a wounded pride.

zaguarxj
Quote:
"I agree with Reborn. Please send me a PM if you have tickets and think the Zags are going to lose. I promise I'll bring some major positive vibes if you let me take a ticket off of your hands."

:agreed: With both!!!

I think the Zags are going to win, and I would love to bring my positive attitude and be there to see it!

ZaGranny

HillBillyZag
01-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Zag's in a close hard fought game , 81-76 .

75Zag
01-26-2011, 03:33 PM
St. Mary's by 9 going away.

Ouch.

Go Bulldogs!

buenaparkzag
01-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Zags by 7
83-76
Stockton will shine.

jpwils
01-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Zags up 15 in first half -10 by halftime.

SMC starts to find range in second half-goes to overtime.

Zags win in OT by 5-we get Jones in foul trouble and stymie McConnell but it is CLOSE!!!!

The first of 3 barn-burners!!

Stockton helps us in second half as does Rob Sacre.

Overtime heroes are Monninghoff and Keita.

Once and Future Zag
01-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Closest thing we have to a rivalry, yet our "fans" go on record saying they think we will lose. I just don't get that????

Would A Coug ever pick the Huskies to beat them in Pullman? I dont care how bad or good either side is. We are supposed to be fanatics of the Zags aren't we?

Predicting a loss doesn't mean that's what the desired outcome is...

Baseline
01-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Zags 79
Gaels 73

Gaels rain threes all night, but Zags pound it inside and foul trouble decides the game for the Zags.

ronh_pm
01-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Regardless of how bad the Zags defense seems to have been the past few games I cannot see how the Zags do not only win this but cover the probable 3 or so point spread.

The Gaels record in my mind is suspect, their bench is short and from what I have seen, when they play actual competition on the road, they lose.

75-69 Gonzaga

webspinnre
01-26-2011, 04:49 PM
I find disheartening this attitude of questioning the true zag fanhood of those who rationally believe that at this point in time St. Mary's is the better team. Of course we want Gonzaga to win, and would love to destroy St. Mary's, but based on a rational analysis of the play of both teams, it seems a reasonable conclusion that St. Mary's has played better to this point, and therefore might be expected to win the game. Just because a person might think that doesn't mean they won't be cheering as loudly as possible and should therefore give up their ticket.

bigblahla
01-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Predicting a loss doesn't mean that's what the desired outcome is...

Negative thoughts introduced into the cosmic stream can produce an adverse effect and a shift in our Zag positivity.

If you think you are going to lose you increase the odds you will.

There is nothing gained in negative thoughts.

I've read a lot of fortune cookies.

Go!! Zags!!!

gamagin
01-26-2011, 05:00 PM

I can be realistic that this year has not gone the way that I expected it to, but shoot...

I got my zags winning by 8 in a brawl of a game. I will be there loud and proud!

Go Zags!

Bad Karma.

bigblahla
01-26-2011, 05:01 PM
I find disheartening this attitude of questioning the true zag fanhood of those who rationally believe that at this point in time St. Mary's is the better team. Of course we want Gonzaga to win, and would love to destroy St. Mary's, but based on a rational analysis of the play of both teams, it seems a reasonable conclusion that St. Mary's has played better to this point, and therefore might be expected to win the game. Just because a person might think that doesn't mean they won't be cheering as loudly as possible and should therefore give up their ticket.

I respectfully disagree if you think we will lose you won't cheer as hard or send out positive energy because you have already accepted the loss.

All I can say is when are true fans (fanatics) rational when it comes to our team. I recognize the talent and teamwork of the Gaels but never will I ever pick them when it comes to game time. We will win tomorrow and in Moronga and in Vegas but only if we all believe and send out positive vibes throughout ZagNation.

It's up to you Zaggies let's will our fellas to a big win. :D

Oh and those of you who picked the Gaels in this thread well.... that's why there is an edit option how about a uniform all together outpouring of support for our team. In other words change your darn posts to a Zag victory.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

zaguarxj
01-26-2011, 05:06 PM

Then why does it get so quiet when the other team goes on a run?

webspinnre
01-26-2011, 05:57 PM
I respectfully disagree if you think we will lose you won't cheer as hard or send out positive energy because you have already accepted the loss.

All I can say is when are true fans (fanatics) rational when it comes to our team. I recognize the talent and teamwork of the Gaels but never will I ever pick them when it comes to game time. We will win tomorrow and in Moronga and in Vegas but only if we all believe and send out positive vibes throughout ZagNation.

It's up to you Zaggies let's will our fellas to a big win. :D

What's odd is that the same people who promote this idea of sending positive energy and all that and are opposed to rationality are also those who generally promote going with gut feeling. What if a person's gut feeling say that St. Mary's will win? Is their mind then supposed to overrule the gut? How do we decide when the gut wins and when the mind wins? Or, is it a matter of neither of them matter, and to be a true zag fan you must always expect them to win, no matter what. For example, going against UNC or Syracuse the past couple of years, was any fan who did not expect GU to win a bad fan? Are there in fact objective standards for being a good fan that require blind belief in a team?

As to the question regarding why fans are more quiet when the other team goes on a run is two parts. First, fans whose fandoms are dependent upon success of the Zags and belief in that success are often more affected by lack of success than those who have a realistic belief. Second, as a general psychological rule, it is very difficult to maintain high levels of fan activity over long periods of time, particularly as fans get older. Naturally then, their energy tends to ebb and flow with the pace of the game based on excitement levels. I fail to see how either of these answers means Zag fans who do not cheer in the exact same manner that you do are therefore not true Zag fans and therefore should not be attending the games.

maynard g krebs
01-26-2011, 06:02 PM
79-76 Zags.

Reborn
01-26-2011, 06:08 PM

Where does your "rationality" come from? Have you analyzed the two teams that carefully?

1. When was the last time St. Mary's beat Gonzaga in K2?
2. When was the last time the Zags lost a home conference game?
3. St. Mary's HAS NOT played well on the road against good teams. They lost badly at San Diego St, and really badly at Vandy this past weekend. Is Vandy @ home better than San Francisco @ home is?

I suppose you base your analysis on the polls. Where else can it be proved that St Mary's is the better team. My vote was also based on facts. I'd like to know yours.

I'd say that based on objective facts this is a game that is even or leans a little toward Gonzaga, the Zags being at home. So if the Zags are a point or two favorite in this game, why would you go against them? And then say that you're a die-hard fan. What would you think of our players or our coaches if thought thought we were going to lose? And if we asked them why, they said because people who are rational say we will lose. And as far as rationality goes, ask Santa Clara fans and team, and USF fans and team thought about that. My guess is that both those teams believed that they could beat Gonzaga. Basketball is not a rational game. If you haven't discovered that yet, then you are pretty bias and closed minded.

MickMick
01-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Zags win........in Las Vegas.

Where it counts.

bigblahla
01-26-2011, 07:05 PM
What's odd is that the same people who promote this idea of sending positive energy and all that and are opposed to rationality are also those who generally promote going with gut feeling. What if a person's gut feeling say that St. Mary's will win? Is their mind then supposed to overrule the gut? How do we decide when the gut wins and when the mind wins? Or, is it a matter of neither of them matter, and to be a true zag fan you must always expect them to win, no matter what. For example, going against UNC or Syracuse the past couple of years, was any fan who did not expect GU to win a bad fan? Are there in fact objective standards for being a good fan that require blind belief in a team?

If you have to ask I could never explain it to you.

Go!! Zags!!!

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-26-2011, 08:12 PM

You read my mind. For better or worse, my mind won't let me ever think that the Zags will lose a game. Every opponent, every time, I expect a win. I'm disappointed at the lack of faith in our squad.

Reborn
01-26-2011, 08:23 PM
My God!! The Zags are playing St. Mary's. It's THE BIGGEST game of the year. Why be rational?????

LET'S GET CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Zags! Go Zags! Go Zags!!!

I'm getting pumped!!! The negativity on this board is pumping me up!!! There has always been this subtle battle going on here on the GUboard between the realists and the idealists/romantics. I'm not sure who's winning that war, but I know I lost two last weekend. Time to rebound. Yeah. We're at HOME. In The Kennel 2. The home of the Zags.....And the dogs are coming out barking and biting tomorrow night.

MJ777
01-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Zags 85 SMC 57

FlyZag
01-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Where does your "rationality" come from? Have you analyzed the two teams that carefully?

Yes.

Is Vandy @ home better than San Francisco @ home is?

Yes.

My vote was also based on facts. I'd like to know yours.

Since you asked:
SMC = 8th in nation in scoring, 3rd in nation in assists, 3rd in nation in fg%, 7th in nation in D rebound %, 1st in nation in efficiency, 4th in nation in 3pt fg's made, 17th in nation in 3pt fg%, 1st in nation in effective fg%, 1st in nation in true shooting %, 30th in nation in defensive 3pt fg%, 1st in nation in points per possession, 22 in nation in rebound %, 4th in nation in Asst/TO ratio http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/saint-marys/team_stats?type=all

19th in Kenpom ratings: http://www.kenpom.com/

21st in Sagarin ratings: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt1011.htm

I want the Zags to win just as much as any of you. I breathe Zag basketball. And I will be so happy should they win.

But this thread was titled: "Make your pick: Gonzaga vs St. Mary's" So I did.

When I analyze THIS years teams... I unfortunately come to an unpopular conclusion. St. Mary's can be super efficient and effective on offense... while we have been less than stellar on Defense. I don't need to post all of our defensive shortcomings or percentages... I think we all agree that is the weakness of this team.

So I conclude based on what THIS years two teams have shown THUS far that SMC > GU.

Now could that all change? Yep. And I hope it does. Could we dominate SMC tomorrow? Yep, and I hope we do. Could we go on a great defensive streak and hold the remaining opponents to less than 35% shooting? Yep. Could St. Mary's spiral out of control and have a total collapse losing all of their remaining games... yep. But based on the FACTS that I have seen thus far. I can only conclude that SMC is better. Now we will know more after Thursday. As then we will have some evidence to base opinions on that is much more relevant.

But to infer that using rationale, facts and common sense somehow lessens one's loyalty to Zagdom because the conclusion doesn't paint the picture you want to see... is just crazy.. and irrational... and frankly makes us look like a bunch of loons to the rest of society.

Reborn
01-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Oh I see! I get it. Actually, I was thinking the exact same thing that you just said. That the important thing is how you look to the "rest of society."

I did some research myself, and I believe mine will hold up tomorrow nite. GU has not lost a conference game in over two years. Maybe they are due. However, contray to your stats, mine show that they have not played against GOOD teams on the road. They lost to both San Diego St and Vandy just last weekend. And as high as their statistics are for the year, they were only 41% against Vandy (and 26% from beyond the 3 pt line) and 39% against San Diego. Both of their losses to good teams on the road were in double digits, and actually 19 against Vandy, who also seldom loses at home. St Mary's is definitely a good team, and plays much better against weak teams then the Zags do. Maybe, just maybe, they don't pull their starters with 7 min left in a game when they play eaiser teams. Gonzaga has not tried to demolish weaker teams, as maybe St. Mary's has.

I think the most important statistics to me is how good teams play against other good team and even great teams. This is where I feel the Zags have the edge, and especially in K2.

Good luck tomorrow.....

Pargo the Destroyer
01-26-2011, 10:10 PM

As to the question regarding why fans are more quiet when the other team goes on a run is two parts. First, fans whose fandoms are dependent upon success of the Zags and belief in that success are often more affected by lack of success than those who have a realistic belief. Second, as a general psychological rule, it is very difficult to maintain high levels of fan activity over long periods of time, particularly as fans get older. Naturally then, their energy tends to ebb and flow with the pace of the game based on excitement levels. I fail to see how either of these answers means Zag fans who do not cheer in the exact same manner that you do are therefore not true Zag fans and therefore should not be attending the games.

Good googly moogly.

Pargo the Destroyer
01-26-2011, 10:17 PM
All those stats. Against a pretty soft schedule. What's the overall won/loss record Of the Gaels opponents? I'd bet a dollar it's stacked towards more losses than wins. Whose to say Gonzaga doesn't have those gaudy offensive numbers when paired with St Marys schedule. And flip it, what would St Marys record be paired with our schedule? I'd bet another dollar their offensive numbers would be a little less shiny if you get my drift. Fools gold until proven otherwise.

Naph
01-26-2011, 10:41 PM
All those stats. Against a pretty soft schedule. What's the overall won/loss record Of the Gaels opponents? I'd bet a dollar it's stacked towards more losses than wins.

SMC's OOC, Div 1, opponents have a combined record of 145-115.

GU's OOC, Div 1 opponents have a combined record of 169-115 (with 1 more game played).

zagfan08
01-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Picking St. Mary's to win doesn't make anybody less of a fan than someone else. I've watched both teams several times and I believe St. Mary's is better than us. However, we are desperate for a win and playing at home will be a nice boost so you never know.

The fact that St. Mary's hasn't won here in forever means very little to me. First, they dominated the 1st half in the 08-09 season before Mills went out and our team isn't as good as it has been in years past.

I had us losing to both SCU and USF so I like to think I can look at our squad unbiasedly (first time in years, from 2005-2010 I wouldn't pick against GU to save my life.) This game looks like it'll be close at the end and decided in the last 2 minutes. Hope the ball bounces our way.

bigblahla
01-27-2011, 04:42 AM
Picking St. Mary's to win doesn't make anybody less of a fan than someone else.

No matter how many times I read this it makes no sense to me. Sorry but to me it does.

It means you have already accepted the loss under the guise of the rational inevitability of the outcome.

How safe, you win both ways if the Zags win you're happy if they lose well you expected the outcome, no biggy, not much invested emotionally and to me that's what makes a fan.

The irrational emotional investment not rational thinking.

Again, I've posted many times on this board as to how good I think the Gaels are but I would never pick them or any other team to beat the Zags when it's game time.

Call me a homer, call me whatever you want but most importantly call me a Zag Fan.

Thump the Gaels!

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

NEC26
01-27-2011, 05:08 AM
Just curious, why does it say make your pick when you are only allowed one choice? I for one think GU wins at home in a squeaker but not sure why the thread is titled the way it is if you are going to get chewed out for making the "wrong" pick.

bigblahla
01-27-2011, 05:34 AM
Just curious, why does it say make your pick when you are only allowed one choice? I for one think GU wins at home in a squeaker but not sure why the thread is titled the way it is if you are going to get chewed out for making the "wrong" pick.

Hey MJ, anybody on the Gaels board picking the Zags to win?

I'm not chewing out anybody just expressing my opinion on what a fan(atic) is to me.

To each their own.

Go!! Zags!!!

Reborn
01-27-2011, 05:52 AM
Im glad that fans post what they think. It makes for a lively discussion before a game. Or argument. It's okay to argue. At least it is in my family. There's nothing like a good argument, especially about a really good game like this one. I think life would be boring if we all thought the same way, or if we were all realistic. I don't get upset very often, but when I do I kind of like it because it makes me feel passionate. And I am passionate about our Zags.

:starwars:

FuManShoes
01-27-2011, 05:54 AM
You're doing it wrong.

This is a fan. You are all poseurs.

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2008/11/84%20Fat%20Fan.jpg

bigblahla
01-27-2011, 06:00 AM
You're doing it wrong.

This is a fan. You are all poseurs.

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2008/11/84%20Fat%20Fan.jpg

I did not sign a release authorizing the use of this photo! :D

Go!! Zags!!!

webspinnre
01-27-2011, 06:37 AM

For those who missed it, this is the kind of attitude I'm talking about. Just because I think SMC might win doesn't mean that I should have to give my ticket to someone else. Additionally, on pure logic, there's a false dichotomy here between those who think GU might lose, and those who "want to cripple the Gaels". It is highly likely that these people are one and the same.

FrosTbear
01-27-2011, 06:43 AM
GU 77
SMC 74

I see a FREE Burger from Wendy's coming our way!

77Zag
01-27-2011, 06:43 AM
Zags 86
Gayles 75

Exposure of the Gayles -- not all the threes are going to land. No presence inside.

Knotsolucky
01-27-2011, 06:44 AM
I listen to Tom Hudson and Matt's pre-game show as often as I can. I remember when the Zags came out to the floor thirty minutes prior to tip off the SCU students began harassing our guys relentlessly for the full thirty minutes. They were much more vocal and loud than our students have been in the past couple years. I hate to think this rattled our players, but I'm sure it had an effect. I'm sure our younger players had most likely never experienced this and I'm sure it took it's toll on them.

Now I just watched the morning news showing more than eighty tents of students waiting for the doors to open. Hopefully these kids will bring it tonight like they never have before. I want to hear more out of them than just a few boos when SMC comes out for the pre-game warm ups. This will not only have an effect on SMC, but it will also light a fire under the rest of the crowd and the team.

If the games gonna be as close as most of us think within this thread, perhaps this will be the difference maker.

LETS GET AFTER THEM KENNEL CLUB!!!

AFTER ALL THIS IS OUR HOUSE!!!!

I believe this will be a close one, but there's no doubt in my mind we will get a W at home.

zagfaninmt
01-27-2011, 07:21 AM
That fan photo is going to require
http://iamadick.squarespace.com/storage/eyebleach1hw0.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=12854 47582851

ExtremeJim
01-27-2011, 07:26 AM
Saint Mary's may indeed have a stronger team than Gonzaga this season. But that fact is not going to manifest itself with their suddenly leveraging Bennett's 4-27 (or whatever it is) career record against Few into a sweep of all three games. And that's basically what those of you who are picking the Gaels tonight have to be thinking will happen. This is the least likely of the three games for them to win.

They were beaten by 19 on the road in their last game, by a team with tall, athletic guards. The same was true of their other convincing loss this season, at San Diego State. Gray, Keita, Arop.

It has been mentioned that they fatten their average margin of victory against inferior opponents by playing their starters deep into the games. Well, this is so because their mop-up and unproven players are all out with long-term injuries. They basically have 8 players, and this places them one injury away from catastrophe. AND, the Gaels' fans already blame us both the for the injury to Patty Mills here in Spokane, and for the injury to Jorden Page in Las Vegas last March. So based on the analysis of Saint Mary's fans, such an event would not be viewed as a coincidence, and if enough students have mentioned "Don't get hurt," or "Play it safe," to the team members in the last week, combined with the overtly hostile atmosphere in the gym it would likely translate into a bit of tentativity. That, they cannot afford and expect to win.

They have a fine team, and they have recovered from the loss of Samhan very nicely, but I can't believe that they have improved so much, nor that we have declined so rapidly, that Saint Mary's is likely to win this game.

U Zig, I Zag
01-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Zags by 12.

ZagLawGrad
01-27-2011, 07:32 AM
A lot of March Brackets have been busted by predictions motivated by blind allegiance.

I'm with Mick on this one. Las Vegas is the game that will really matter with SMC.

tobizag
01-27-2011, 07:45 AM

probably reborn's best post ever.

gu 76
smc 68

tobizag
01-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Zags 86
Gayles 75

Exposure of the Gayles -- not all the threes are going to land. No presence inside.

i really hope you made a mistake and didn't realize smc's mascot name is spelled GAEL.

would hate to imagine a zag fan being derogatory like this.

zaguarxj
01-27-2011, 07:55 AM
For the record, I'm not questioning anyone's fandom or love for the Zags. I'd just much rather have a crowd that is crazed with irrational exuberance than a crowd that is preoccupied with sober analysis. Plus, I know I'm not really going to score any tickets by calling people out - just havin' a little fun. One more thing...

Go Zags! woohoohoohoooooooooooooo!!!Yaaaaaaaaaaa!!aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooWooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FlyZag
01-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Something else that scares me:

I know that every game is different and teams match up differently. But if we look at common league opponents... It can give us a rough yardstick of how we compare.

SMC has completely DESTROYED the four common teams that we played (LMU, PEPP, SCU and USF). And no it wasn't because they are only 7 or 8 deep. These games were over within the first 10 minutes. Compare that to our 2-2 record against these same teams. And we were tied at half (@home) against LMU.

Yes I understand that matchups make games. Yes I get that teams "get up" for the Zags... (but so will SMC).

Some of you say: "They lost by 19 @Vandy"... Um, how much did we lose by @ WSU? Or "SDSU creamed them"... well, SDSU beat us @ HOME. Their other loss was a last second "The Jimmer" miracle shot at the buzzer against BYU.

The fact is they have a really good team. And to just discount that seems silly. I hope that our team doesn't discount it or overlook them. I hope they realize just how good the Gaels are. I hope they understand that they need to bring their absolute best performance to get the victory.

We are 3-2. They are 5-0. We MUST win tonight if we want a shot at least at a tie in the conference race. I hope we will, I want us too... but I certainly have my reservations. And no that doesn't mean I won't be cheering any less while I'm sitting in Section 104. I'll be screaming my arse off, just like I always do...

Good Luck and GO ZAGS!!!!

cbbfanatic
01-27-2011, 08:33 AM

I agree, but rational analysis isn't exactly a strong pt of this board, so that kind of rhetoric is expected.

And for anyone to say that expecting or predicting a loss won't make one cheer as hard, well, I don't know what to say to those people. In most cases, the w/l expectation will be irrelevant to behavior at the game, but for the rest, it will go both ways. All depends on whether or not the fan consciously or subconsciously thinks they can have any impact on the outcome - in which case, as long as the person WANTS GU to win, their expectation will play no part in their behavior... Unless they're just a whiny, defeatist pansy.

As for my call, agree w those that question st mary's real strength, esp on the road.

GU - 78
smc - 74

Johnzaga
01-27-2011, 08:46 AM
I predict Gray to get HIS game back - not the game that he thinks he is supposed to have, but HIS game! Same with Harris (I hope). Stockton, MM, and Arop to have big nights and SACRE to DOMINATE in the post with 20 points and 12 boards. Gray with 20, Harris with 15.

Get SACRE TO THE LINE!

Zags - 85
Girls...I mean Gaels - 78

DCZag
01-27-2011, 08:58 AM
The only way I'll ever concede that SMC is better than us is when they beat us 2-3 in a season - ain't happenin'.

All you guys bringing negative vibes and getting offended when you get called out - live with it - this is a FAN board

Pargo the Destroyer
01-27-2011, 09:14 AM
SMC's OOC, Div 1, opponents have a combined record of 145-115.

GU's OOC, Div 1 opponents have a combined record of 169-115 (with 1 more game played).

Myth......busted. Regardless, strength of opponent can't be argued. I still say, but them against our schedule and things are way different.

Reborn
01-27-2011, 10:34 AM
The only way I'll ever concede that SMC is better than us is when they beat us 2-3 in a season - ain't happenin'.

All you guys bringing negative vibes and getting offended when you get called out - live with it - this is a FAN board

:000tens: Let's Go Zags! Let's Go Zags!!! Let's Go Zags!!!

THE BEST IS YET TO COME

bigblahla
01-27-2011, 10:53 AM
For those who missed it, this is the kind of attitude I'm talking about. Just because I think SMC might win doesn't mean that I should have to give my ticket to someone else. Additionally, on pure logic, there's a false dichotomy here between those who think GU might lose, and those who "want to cripple the Gaels". It is highly likely that these people are one and the same.

Out of curiosity and not meaning to offend you but were you one of the many who showed up wearing cougar colors in the kennel four years ago?

If so I get it if not then you don't but that's ok.

Me, I live and die with each and every game and to answer a previous question in this thread. Yes, I thought we would beat UNC and Syracuse.

How could I think anything else?

Go Gonzaga G-O-N-Z-A-G-A :adored:

Go!! Zags!!!

FlyZag
01-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Yes, I thought we would beat UNC and Syracuse.

Pretty girls and Sports cause normally sane men to lose their minds.

ZagMan
01-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Ok, who exactly has St. Marys beaten that makes everyone think they are so awesome? Pointe Loma Nazarine? Chicago State? UC Riverside? Hartford? Long Beach State?

They were beaten by BYU, San Diego State (which we lost to by a smaller margin), and Vanderbilt.

I'm sure they have skills, and are a good team, I'm just not sure they are as good as everyone seems to think they are. Just my humble opinion.

GO ZAGS!!!!!!!

:clap:

MJGoGaels
01-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Regardless of prediction, I see a majority of you concede a score by Saint Mary's Gaels of 71 or more. You should note that when the Gaels score 71 points or more they have a fabulous record of something on the magnitude of 70-5 (approx) over the last 3 years. [sorry, can't find the link]. So if Bulldogs are to prevail tonight, they had better hold the Moraga Marauders in the 60's.

http://www.smcgaels.com/pdf8/734408.pdf

webspinnre
01-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Out of curiosity and not meaning to offend you but were you one of the many who showed up wearing cougar colors in the kennel four years ago?

Certainly not. I'm a GU fan first, and a fan of college basketball in general second. I have no particular rooting interest in teams other than GU.

Me, I live and die with each and every game and to answer a previous question in this thread.

That must be the difference. The only things for me worth living and die about (or even comparing to) are my family and my faith. I sure do like GU basketball, but I'll admit there are some nights GU is playing and I choose to instead spend the time playing with one of my sons or going out with my wife, and just catching the score later.

Yes, I thought we would beat UNC and Syracuse.

You make it seem as if the only acceptable answer to the question: which team is better GU or [fill in the blank] is GU. If this is the case, there's no point in ever having a discussion about the relative merits of individual teams. While I hoped that we would win those games, and thought we had a chance (with our team, we've got a chance against anybody), I realized that there was a good chance we wouldn't win.

bigblahla
01-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Certainly not. I'm a GU fan first, and a fan of college basketball in general second. I have no particular rooting interest in teams other than GU.

That must be the difference. The only things for me worth living and die about (or even comparing to) are my family and my faith. I sure do like GU basketball, but I'll admit there are some nights GU is playing and I choose to instead spend the time playing with one of my sons or going out with my wife, and just catching the score later.

You make it seem as if the only acceptable answer to the question: which team is better GU or [fill in the blank] is GU. If this is the case, there's no point in ever having a discussion about the relative merits of individual teams. While I hoped that we would win those games, and thought we had a chance (with our team, we've got a chance against anybody), I realized that there was a good chance we wouldn't win.

I love the game and was taught it at a time that any physical contact was a foul of some type and man has it changed.

You are trying to apply logic to my emotional attachment to GU and the Zags and that in itself is illogical.

It's not which team is better it's which team will win. Can't go against the Zags.

Tomorrow if you want to discuss the game and the outcome in basketball terms I'll be right there with you but for today it's Zags win baby all the way.

I have a family too and a job and a life but for a few months a year a couple of hours at a time my world stops and I become a Zag fanatic and I wouldn't have it any other way.

My family knows, my friends know in fact on game day everybody I see and talk to know it's all about the Zags.

Peace out.

Go!! Zags!!!

ExtremeJim
01-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Regardless of prediction, I see a majority of you concede a score by Saint Mary's Gaels of 71 or more. You should note that when the Gaels score 71 points or more they have a fabulous record of something on the magnitude of 70-5 (approx) over the last 3 years. [sorry, can't find the link]. So if Bulldogs are to prevail tonight, they had better hold the Moraga Marauders in the 60's.

http://www.smcgaels.com/pdf8/734408.pdf

Thanks for the free Saint Mary's media guide. I didn't know that Matthew Dellavedova had teeth, until now. Are they his, or store-boughts?

Unfortunately for the Gaels, they are Oh for The Millenium in Spokane, which is where tonight's game will be played. A millenium is one thousand years. One thousand.

Oh. Two of the five losses when they scored more than 71 in the preceding three seasons were to...Gonzaga, most recently on your home court, last January 14th.

bigblahla
01-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the free Saint Mary's media guide. I didn't know that Matthew Dellavedova had teeth, until now. Are they his, or store-boughts?

Unfortunately for the Gaels, they are Oh for The Millenium in Spokane, which is where tonight's game will be played. A millenium is one thousand years. One thousand.

Oh. Two of the five losses when they scored more than 71 in the preceding three seasons were to...Gonzaga, most recently on your home court, last January 14th.

and that's why....You don't mess around with Jim!:D

Go!! Zags!!!

cbbfanatic
01-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Webspinnre, that's pretty much why there is no discussion here of the merits of other teams, unless it is a circular reference right back to the zags greatness.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, but this is a GU board first, second, and third... Wouldn't consider it a "college basketball" board in the least - which is why anything non GU centered is controlled, deleted, or moved to the empty abyss of the general basketball board.

Seems to be the culture of the typical zag fan, a little myopic

webspinnre
01-27-2011, 01:51 PM
I have a family too and a job and a life but for a few months a year a couple of hours at a time my world stops and I become a Zag fanatic and I wouldn't have it any other way.

My family knows, my friends know in fact on game day everybody I see and talk to know it's all about the Zags.

It's perfectly fine that you have decided to make this choice. My problem is with the fact that it is somehow the expectation that every Zag make this same choice or risk being called not a true Zag and told they need to give up their tickets.

FuManShoes
01-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Zags 82, Gaels 74.

bigblahla
01-27-2011, 02:10 PM
It's perfectly fine that you have decided to make this choice. My problem is with the fact that it is somehow the expectation that every Zag make this same choice or risk being called not a true Zag and told they need to give up their tickets.

First I don't think Reborn was serious but emphasizing a point.

cbb is right, on game day I am narrow minded only one thought, a Zags victory.

I know that I should let this lay but let me ask you what is a true fan to you?

Go!! Zags!!!

Reborn
01-27-2011, 03:45 PM

:lmao::lmao: First of Webspinnre thats for providing me with a lot of laugher. I need it on a nite like this. I'm getting a little anxious about the game. First I wasn't saying that Gonzaga fans who think the Gaels will win NEED to give their tickets to those of us who are passionate about our Zags and believe the Zags will win, partly because of the fans in K2. I was simply emploring you, and fans like you, to have a heart, or even logic, to understand that you could actually hurt the Zags if you are bringing your negative thinking inside K2. I wasn't "calling you out" as someone would have us believe. I was just trying to respond to the best in you.

Second. Bigblahla, I was serious. I've actually been sitting by my computer all afternoon in high hope that Webspinnre would contact me and tell me that he would sell his ticket to me. I hope I didnt offend him like that one blogger thought I had. Maybe that old warrior in me is slipping back out. I have tried to keep him tied down in order to make this a more presentable board to the people out there in the world who "really count."

And remember what ever happens tonight: IT'S JUST A GAME

upan8th
01-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Zags have no core, they haven't a defined style of play, they are maddeningly inconsistent in everything from executing their offense, to securing the ball, to fundamental defense and blocking out. The coaching staff looks to be flummoxed and can't even decide, at this late date, which five players comprise the group with the best chance to excell. They won't even admit that a walk-on redshirt freshman should be, at this point, the choice for the most minutes at point guard.

Despite all of the above, and more, Bulldogs find a way to eke out a W tonite, primarily because, while they are a more complete team than the Zags this year, the Gaels don't HAVE TO WIN tonite to win the league (which they will) so they won't. Gaels lack of urgency vs Zag desperation=GU W:68-67.

webspinnre
01-27-2011, 05:05 PM
:lmao::lmao: First of Webspinnre thats for providing me with a lot of laugher. I need it on a nite like this. I'm getting a little anxious about the game. First I wasn't saying that Gonzaga fans who think the Gaels will win NEED to give their tickets to those of us who are passionate about our Zags and believe the Zags will win, partly because of the fans in K2. I was simply emploring you, and fans like you, to have a heart, or even logic, to understand that you could actually hurt the Zags if you are bringing your negative thinking inside K2. I wasn't "calling you out" as someone would have us believe. I was just trying to respond to the best in you.

I think my point is that thinking that Gonzaga might lose isn't necessarily negative thinking. Negative thinking is going in thinking we've got no shot, or that we suck, or some such nonsense.

Second. Bigblahla, I was serious. I've actually been sitting by my computer all afternoon in high hope that Webspinnre would contact me and tell me that he would sell his ticket to me.

Unfortunately I have to disappoint you even more by mentioning that I no longer live in Spokane. Down here in the bay area I try to make it to one game a year, that probably won't happen this year. Even if I did live in Spokane, the sorts of things that would make me give up my ticket would likely not include fans clamoring on a message board. I'd certainly love to be in Spokane tonight, at the Kennel, seeing how rowdy it gets, and rooting for Gonzaga to knock the swagger out of St. Mary's. Instead I'll be enjoying dinner at home with the family and watching as always.

I hope I didnt offend him like that one blogger thought I had.

To reassure you, I wasn't so much as offended as I was disappointed in the idea that there might be people on this board who somehow question other fans' "true Zag-hood" because they don't approach the game in the same way.

Club Prez
01-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Gonzaga 83
St. Mary's 79