PDA

View Full Version : TSN 3 Pointers: The Elbow Rule

CDC84
01-26-2011, 08:45 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-01-25/3-pointers-ncaa-rules-need-to-allow-for-more-elbow-room

3-Pointers: NCAA rules need to allow for more elbow room

When is a rebound a turnover? When the opposing team steals the ball from the guy who took it down off the boards.

So why wouldn’t the rebounder protect the ball?

With what? If he uses his elbows, he risks what happened to Gonzaga center Robert Sacre last week.

Sacre got a key rebound with about 3 minutes left against Santa Clara, with the Zags down five points. He was tied up, though, and the Broncos had the possession arrow. It was a decisive play in their victory.

Two days later, Gonzaga was up a point late when Sacre got another rebound. This time, he “chinned” the ball, raising his elbows to guard his space. When he turned, his elbow struck San Francisco’s Angelo Caloiaro above the shoulders. Under the new anti-elbowing rule the NCAA passed last spring, the officials checked the monitor and deemed Sacre’s offense to be flagrant, which mean the Dons received two foul shots and possession. They tied up Gonzaga, forced overtime, and won the game.

“It's a really bad rule," Few said on his weekly television show. “I knew it the moment we put it in this last spring.

“The way the rule is now, anytime anyone harasses the rebounder it should be a foul. Both benches are happy. The clock stops, no time runs out. Boom. Done. Any rule that puts the players and officials in a bad situation like that is just a really bad rule.”

bigblahla
01-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Just saw a great replay of Doolin's and one shot at the end posted by a USF fan now showing on you tube.

The angle is up high under the basket and you can see the whole drive. The official calling the foul was shielded and should have ate his whistle, no foul occurred.

I look at the USF game as karma for some of the miraculous escapes we've had these past few years.

What crappy officiating, however the email I got from the commish had nothing but praise for WCC officials.

Onward and upwards.

Go!! Zags!!!

fedwayzag
01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
“The way the rule is now, anytime anyone harasses the rebounder it should be a foul. Both benches are happy. The clock stops, no time runs out. Boom. Done. Any rule that puts the players and officials in a bad situation like that is just a really bad rule.”

I have been thinking about the flagrant foul since it was called. I agree 100 % with the last paragraph above. If the rebounder has clear control of the ball, then if anyone on defense swipes at the ball or tries to tie them up it should be a foul. I do not you can have one rule without the other. I have always been of the opinion the rebounder has a right to chin and his space. Rob did not intentional elbow him. He was just turning and the defender was coming in to try and take it away. Nothing wrong with trying to take it away, but I believe sometimes you pay for it like th SF player did.

MDABE80
01-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Over-regulation will kill everything in America!!;)

MickMick
01-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Referees will kill defense.

It is time to give up on the building/recuiting of defense as a strength and go back to the style of historic teams. Load up on great shooters, spend time on offensive skills, and just outscore em.

Referees love offensive minded guys.

billyberu
01-26-2011, 10:03 PM
WCC Referees will kill defense.

It is time to give up on the building/recuiting of defense as a strength and go back to the style of historic teams. Load up on great shooters, spend time on offensive skills, and just outscore em.

WCC Referees love offensive minded guys.

There, I fixed it for you.