PDA

View Full Version : About Manny and his free throws

Reborn
01-25-2011, 08:19 PM
I wanted to say this someplace so I think this is where I'll say it. I have heard that it is best to NOT step up to the FT line immediately and wait for the ball there. Experts say it's way too long to wait at the line. Experts say that it's best to step back to the top of the arc and wait there until the ref is ready to give you the ball. Then step up and receive the ball and place your toe just behind the line. After shooting the first FT again back off from the line and waIT UNTIL the ref is ready to pass you the ball again. Receive the ball and THEN step back up to the line. I also think Manny should consider locating his feet a little closer together. His stance looks way to wide to me.

I have heard this a hundred times over the years while watching games on TV. I can not tell you how many players miss foul shots because they stand there waiting at the FT line.....I just wanted to pass this tidbit on........Maybe it will get to Manny and he'll think about it.

CanadianZagFan
01-26-2011, 03:58 AM
I can't say I agree, as a coach I would not recommend getting the ball at the back end of the free-throw circle and walking up with it, a half step back maybe, but not what you described....and I have never heard an expert say to do this. What I recommend is simplicity, take out all the extra dribbles and spins, and don't dip or bounce your body. Get low use your legs, extend and follow through. I will look at his base next time I watch a game and see if it is wide.

On a side note, going into the last game where he went 1 for 6 he had made 4 of his last 5 and was shooting over 63% for the year (not great, but not bad) where was the thread on how well he was shooting?

GrizZAG
01-26-2011, 04:35 AM
Get D. Ravio to send a few DNA cells in the mail?

My observation is the best free throw shooters seem to have a routine from countless hours of practice. Watch Nash or D. Ravio. They have a method and it is like programming, you can see it. I am sure you all know the stories about Derek Ravio before he came to Spokane as high school kid, right?

I live in Vancouver and have heard he spent incredible hours practicing that free throw routine and shooting in general. The story is, he hit 250 straight or something ridiculous like that before his coach sent him home at a practice one night.
I have a feeling Robert spent a lot of time on that line this past year...

bigblahla
01-26-2011, 05:41 AM
I can't say I agree, as a coach I would not recommend getting the ball at the back end of the free-throw circle and walking up with it, a half step back maybe, but not what you described....and I have never heard an expert say to do this. What I recommend is simplicity, take out all the extra dribbles and spins, and don't dip or bounce your body. Get low use your legs, extend and follow through. I will look at his base next time I watch a game and see if it is wide.

On a side note, going into the last game where he went 1 for 6 he had made 4 of his last 5 and was shooting over 63% for the year (not great, but not bad) where was the thread on how well he was shooting?

Manny puts his right foot forward, doesn't square his shoulders and uses mostly arm motion with inconsistent follow through, he should emulate Rob who has developed great form at the line. That's what I see.

Go!! Zags!!!

gamagin
01-26-2011, 08:03 AM
he needs to practice this f.t. more, build his confidence and keep maturing. If he grows from the lesson learned v. USF and vows to work, focus and master the freebie, he'll be fine.

He's an excellent shooter.

JPtheBeasta
01-26-2011, 08:19 AM
and don't dip or bounce your body.

He definitely bounces a little, I guess for rhythm. I think that has to make it hard to reproduce your shot every time.

Few called the game an "anomaly" on his radio show and I tend to agree. (My reasons, not his) SFU was hitting wild shots. Huge performance by a freshman guard. Meech shot better than he normally does. The refs were blowing whistles on phantom calls. Weird technical foul calls. Manny missed so many free throws. The Zags, in general, missed so many free throws. Gray slipping around all over the place. The way the game went, Rob could have gone 1-6 at the line and I wouldn't have been surprised.

Colbyspapa
01-26-2011, 09:25 AM
As a former player and a coach my perspective is free throws are about confidence and repetition. Form helps, because when you are off, form and touch get you a few, but confidence and repetition are most important to me. If you shoot 1000, you will make more after you shot them than before you did.

Solution, just shoot more. Nerves calm when you know you will make them vs when you hope you will make them.

I used to stand where I wanted to and wait for the ball. It didn't matter when I received it, my preshot routine was not effected by when or who gave me the ball. I coach guys who use stepping to the line as part of a preshot routine. Preshot routines calm nerves and focus you. They also lower your heart rate and relax you. If Manny works his routine and focuses in practice, when he does it in the game, it will comfort him. I saw Pullen from K State make some big free throws a couple days ago against Illinois. His routine was excellent. He held the ball in his right hand against his hip and stared down the rim. When he was ready, he took a breath and shot. I used it as a lesson for one of my players last night.

MDABE80
01-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Something tells me that Manny could be a greatone with consistency. This takes dedication and extreme practice. It's up to him.

I don't remember Manny shooting well. One game up and one game down....midlin performances. When he's good, he's REALLY good.when he's bad he's REALLY bad.
Sonsistency wins games.

As an aside, I think SCU and USF wern't flukes.
We need to regroup and get some confidence.......struggle to the end of the season and hope we finish the WCC with 9 losses only. WCC's better this year and and obviously, we're worse than in past years.