PDA

View Full Version : SI's Ann Killion - SMC vs. GU

MJGoGaels
01-25-2011, 01:18 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/ann_killion/01/25/saint.marys/index.html

Bennett sees that, too.

"There's a high level of belief," he said. "It's real confidence. Legit.

"I've had good teams where the moment was too big. But the moment won't be too big for us."

There's another moment coming, Thursday night in Spokane.

These are the moments we all look forward to during the long and hot days of summer. I ask in the most humble, collegial and seminar like style...

Query: Has Saint Mary's finally staked a reputation for winning and proving on the hostile WCC road, or Will Sacre and Company stand up to the pressure and deliver on the GU reputation 25+ years in the making by defending their home court on Thursday?

adoptedzag
01-25-2011, 01:20 PM
We'll fold like the laundry.

El Voce
01-25-2011, 01:24 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/ann_killion/01/25/saint.marys/index.html

These are the moments we all look forward to during the long and hot days of summer. I ask in the most humble, collegial and seminar like style...

Query: Has Saint Mary's finally staked a reputation for winning and proving on the hostile WCC road, or Will Sacre and Company stand up to the pressure and deliver on the GU reputation 25+ years in the making by defending their home court on Thursday?

When there are two pretty talented teams playing, you go with the one more desperate for a win. The Zags, after last week's lost weekend, need the win a lot more badly than the Gaels do. That, plus home court advantage will lead to a Zag win. JMO.

gamagin
01-25-2011, 01:32 PM
I think we're in for a real dog fight. I believe we have a better team, but we have a tendency to let others get comfortable.

And SMC, when comfortable,can beat anyone.

So whichever team gets to play its game more than the other will win, imo. I'm hoping it's us. I'm also thinking the home town crowd and advantage will kick in.

But SMC has my respect and admiration. Great to watch, electric at times.

DixieZag
01-25-2011, 01:42 PM
I think that SMC may be the more talented team this year. But, until they play us it is simple conjecture.

I think the game comes down to whether or not GU can shoot enough treys to provide an alternative to going down to Rob every time and concurrently, whether GU can handle SMC's backcout ability to shoot lights out.

ZagKing09
01-25-2011, 01:42 PM
it really ought to be quite a good battle, but I agree with Voce. We need the win more and the Zags are coming in off of a big wake up call, in their house. It will be a crazy atmosphere at K2 on Thursday night, the Kennel Club seems to be getting things together and the students have more energy. They did a twitter announcement today for students to start camping out for the game and it was good to see the energy back in the students just to find the spot to get into line for the game. I am excited to for another installment in a great WCC battle!

U Zig, I Zag
01-25-2011, 01:56 PM
I think the kids want to rip some heads off. I would hope they would want to anyway. The atmosphere is going to be completely crazy. These games (against the WCC toughies) has always been big, fun and intense - but this crew of Zags is on the verge of disaster. They don't want to be the team that loses the conf crown, doesn't make it into the dance, etc. Fans don't want it.

This is, by far, the biggest game of the season for GU. It will set the tone for the rest of the year. I don't think Few and Co will settle for a loss.

zagzilla
01-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Better question is whether the fans rush the floor when we win? Hope not but this may be that kind of game.

ZZ

MDABE80
01-25-2011, 03:36 PM
SMC has the better guards and Zags have the better bigs. ELias has to flatten Jones and Stven needs to begin playing hard defense. Meech always does. If their gaurds are defended and ELias holds down Jones..our other guys should score 50.
Rob, KO, Sam need to take this one seriously and get ready. It's an opportunity to make big time changes in the future of this season.

We can win this. If the kids forget the gravity of the situation, this season might be close to over in terms of post season play. If I was Few, I'd make them Believe. I don't think 18-12 is what we bargained for.

TheZagPhish
01-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Better question is whether the fans rush the floor when we win? Hope not but this may be that kind of game.

Yikes! Hope not. That'd be like rushing the court for free Wendy's.

NEC26
01-25-2011, 03:59 PM
When there are two pretty talented teams playing, you go with the one more desperate for a win. The Zags, after last week's lost weekend, need the win a lot more badly than the Gaels do. That, plus home court advantage will lead to a Zag win. JMO.

Not saying I disagree necessarily but didn't the zags need a win against USF after their loss to SCU? I do think we pull this out at home though.

jake
01-25-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm optimistic, and yet still very anxious, for the game on Thursday. I believe we will get things back in gear, but I also believe St. Mary's is very good. It should be a battle.

Reborn
01-25-2011, 04:18 PM
"Is Saint Mary's the new WCC king? Gonzaga showdown looms large

A good article if you're a St. Mary's fan. I would pin this article up on the Bulletin Board in the lockerroom. It sure made me angry when I read it.

I think it's about time the Zags start playing with some real fire. It IS going to take more from them than they've been willing to give so far this year. This a a huge game for the Zags. It's a game that is going to change the season around I think. It's time the Zags start playing like Zags, and to play like they know what that means. It means that you do what you have to do to win. I, for one, am getting tired of seeing opponents wanting to win more than we do. I hope I see a different team Thursday night. I am hoping to see the ZAGS once again, and a group of kids who understand what that means. There was once a time when it was the Zags who were the confident team. It was they who know that they were unbeatable as they stepped onto the court. They knew that they would win because they were the Zags. That name is now on the front of every jersey. It's time for each guy on the team to forget about their own name and become Zags.

St Mary's is a team full of confidence and the Zags had better be prepared to flatten 'em. That's right flatten "em. And knock them on the behinds. Yes, yes, yes I know it's just a game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TELL THE STUDENT BODY THAT

Rio Runner
01-25-2011, 04:24 PM
If we don't win, hello NIT.

I think we take it on Thursday. We need it more.

MickMick
01-25-2011, 04:33 PM
The conference tournament winner gets an autobid.

"Hello NIT" doesn't apply until that is decided.

Rio Runner
01-25-2011, 04:39 PM
The conference tournament winner gets an autobid.

"Hello NIT" doesn't apply until that is decided.

If we can't beat them in Spokane, do you really think we are going to beat them in Vegas?

SJZag
01-25-2011, 04:59 PM
... which is perhaps the exact same thing St. Mary's fans said about GU in Moraga last year. And look how that eventually turned out for them in Las Vegas. This season is FAR from over.

UberZagFan
01-25-2011, 05:03 PM
For different reasons and certainly different consequences, but is the game Thursday the biggest GU since . . . uh, nevermind, Uber can't bring himself to type that out...

MickMick
01-25-2011, 06:39 PM
If we can't beat them in Spokane, do you really think we are going to beat them in Vegas?

GU swept SMC last year and look who won in Las Vegas.

I stand by the statement.

Nothing is decided until the conference tournament.

Even if GU loses twice to SMC before then. I would like to give em a taste of their own medicine.

MJGoGaels
01-25-2011, 08:40 PM

Even if GU loses twice to SMC before then. I would like to give em a taste of their own medicine.

Reads like you put little value in 10 consecutive regular season titles? I'll take your proposition because two wins against GU will secure at-large status (assuming a victory against Utah State in the Bracket Buster), and finishing either 14-0 or 13-1.

MJ777
01-25-2011, 10:21 PM
I think that SMC may be the more talented team this year. But, until they play us it is simple conjecture.
I think the game comes down to whether or not GU can shoot enough treys to provide an alternative to going down to Rob every time and concurrently, whether GU can handle SMC's backcout ability to shoot lights out.

I sort of agree. GU has bigger and perhaps more athletic players, but I think SMC is a better "team" as they seem to play better as a team more often than the Zags do. That doesn't mean the Gaels will win on Thursday, and there is still time for the Zags to become a better "team".

Go SDSU, beat BYU. It should be a great one, but a local SoCal Sports radio jock has been openly assuming that Aztecs will be homered by the refs on Wednesday. I hope not, but there seems to be a lot of bad reffing going around these days.

bigblahla
01-26-2011, 12:19 AM
Reads like you put little value in 10 consecutive regular season titles? I'll take your proposition because two wins against GU will secure at-large status (assuming a victory against Utah State in the Bracket Buster), and finishing either 14-0 or 13-1.

I wouldn't count on one win if I were you.

What are the Gaels over these last 10 years against the Zags 4-28, 5-27? Anybody know? The law of averages says you've got to win some but then our backs are against the wall.

I'm sure your lads would like to win a regular season title but....it still goes through Spokane now doesn't it?

I want to beat you Thursday at K2 and again in Moronga and once more in Vegas just because....

It's the Gaels and who wants to lose to a team named after a bunch of girls.:rolleyes:

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Rio Runner
01-26-2011, 06:19 AM

Good point. I had forgotten about that.

Hopefully we win tomorrow, and this becomes a non-issue.

EuroZag2010
01-26-2011, 06:52 AM
I know for a fact the students are fired up!! They are camped out by the foley center !! What an awesome picture to see, a sea of tents =} I hope we pull this one off !!

JPtheBeasta
01-26-2011, 08:35 AM
I'm less afraid of the Gael's guards, because Gray has shut down Deladova before and Mickey has shrunk up against good teams before. Jones and their 3-point shooting forward scare me the most. Harris loves to go for the shot fake and Jones could end up eating him up. We've already seen what non-traditional post players a la Illinois can do to the Zags when they aren't extending on defense or making the proper rotations.
Forcing myself to be realistic, I think the days of beating SMC three times in one season are over- unless there is a big disparity in talent it is just way to hard to do that to anyone. I would be fine with a split in conference and a showdown at the end for the autobid.

Bogozags
01-26-2011, 09:04 AM
I don't think you put EF on Jones but rather Manny or SG. Keita on Del and Meech on McConnel. That makes EH's job an easier task and Keita will dog Del.

Also, SMC has lost three games this year, two of which were to teams with strong inside games. SDSU and Vandy have strong inside play as do we. I think SMC will have to contend with both Rob, EH and KO. They will get into foul trouble.

IMO the key will be how we hedge on screens and don't allow the ball handler to get through and into the lane, where they are extremely good at making passes to shooters just waiting in the corners.

Have been very nervous about this game, ever since I saw how they played against LMU. Now, we need this win more than they do...do not like having 3 loses in WCC play.

odeasmcgu
01-26-2011, 09:13 AM
I think that Gray has too many responsibilities. He is relied upon to be really GU's only outside scoring threat, GU's #1 perimeter defender, and their top scorer. There are times when he is also required to distribute the ball. That's the beauty of SMC, we have three guards who can all play those roles. I anticipate that Gray will see a lot of different looks like SCU's Foster did.

FlyZag
01-26-2011, 10:10 AM
I think that Gray has too many responsibilities. He is relied upon to be really GU's only outside scoring threat, GU's #1 perimeter defender, and their top scorer. There are times when he is also required to distribute the ball. That's the beauty of SMC, we have three guards who can all play those roles. I anticipate that Gray will see a lot of different looks like SCU's Foster did.

All true.

For me the key to the game is stopping MM. I read somewhere that in SMC's biggest games over the last two years, when MM was held in check they lost. Conversely when he flourished they won.

I researched it, and sure enough:

Loss @ Vandy, MM = 6pts. Loss @ SDST, MM = 2pts. Loss vs BYU, MM = 1ast, 12pts. 2010 - Loss vs Baylor, MM = 6pts. Loss @ GU, MM = 0pts. Loss vs GU, MM = 10pts.

2010 - Win vs GU in Vegas, MM = 26pts. Win vs Richmond, MM = 23pts. Win vs Villanova, MM = 15pts.

As goes Mickey McConnell, so goes the Gaels. Hold him in check. We win.