PDA

View Full Version : Palm Tourney Projections

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-25-2011, 02:13 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14599148/predicting-the-2011-ncaa-tournament-field

He projects the Zags as one of the last teams in the field playing against Miami in the play-in game. I was opposed to the idea of bracket expansion, but I'll take it if the Zags get into the tournament as one of the last at-larges.

DixieZag
01-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Only if we win all but one (away against SMC in a close game) and a very tight game in the championship. That is the only road to an at large bid. As I see it.

This team needs to re-focus on getting better, getting back to basics and gear everything toward being ready for the conference tournament. Even if that includes sitting Steven for the next week or two until his knee is 100% - though I trust the staff and Steven to make the decision.

coolhandzag
01-25-2011, 03:21 PM
St. Mary's is next. That's it.

GoZags
01-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Only if we win all but one (away against SMC in a close game) and a very tight game in the championship. That is the only road to an at large bid. As I see it.

This team needs to re-focus on getting better, getting back to basics and gear everything toward being ready for the conference tournament. Even if that includes sitting Steven for the next week or two until his knee is 100% - though I trust the staff and Steven to make the decision.

FWIW, in '09, Arizona made the dance with an unusually high RPI of 62. At the time they were riding one of the longest consecutive NCAA tourney streaks in the nation. Jerry Palm's current projected RPI for the Zags has them finishing this WCC regular season at 10-4 with a projected RPI of 63. My projections differ (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=32368)

However, with a 63 RPI -- three more spots open in the dance -- one of the nation's longest consecutive NCAA tourney streaks in the nation -- it seems to me there may be a little more "wiggle room" than you're accounting for.

My hope is that the Zags' lightbulb clicks on -- and they win a bunch of games (including 2 or 3 if necessary in Vegas). I'm holding on to my hat during this wild ride -- and wouldn't it be nice to have the Zags' season end just like Arizona's in '09 -- playing basketball into the 2nd weekend of the NCAA dance.

dawgfather11
01-25-2011, 03:55 PM
he has UW as a 6 seed? that's about 2-3 lines to low, although I love our pod getting a bad memphis team plus an overrated BYU team is a good easy road into the sweet sixteen.

kyle dixon
01-25-2011, 04:04 PM
That's it. In interviews that I have heard this season the players echo the coaches sentiment; "gotta keep chopping wood." Should be a good one Thursday night....

nonzagzag
01-25-2011, 05:37 PM
I think the committee gives us a bit of a reward for the tough ooc schedule and will find a spot for us.

MDABE80
01-25-2011, 06:38 PM
DF...as with Lunardi...it's where the huskies are. Why would you put them higher? Just for advantage? We all want an easier path.......but that's different from earning it. Maybe later ....not now. Good luck!!