PDA

View Full Version : OT - UNC/MSU to play on deck of an aircraft carrier

CDC84
01-25-2011, 10:21 AM
next Veteran's Day....

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-01-25/unc-michigan-state-to-play-basketball-game-on-aircraft-carrier

The North Carolina and Michigan State basketball teams will face off on the deck of an aircraft carrier on Veterans Day, InsideCarolina.com reports.

The website says UNC coach Roy Williams confirmed the long-rumored game Monday night on his radio show.

“It hasn’t been announced yet, but we’re supposed to be playing Michigan State in San Diego on an aircraft carrier on Veterans Day (Nov. 11),” Williams said.

cjm720
01-25-2011, 10:26 AM
That's the coolest thing I've heard in a while.

U Zig, I Zag
01-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Mission Accomplished.

Jakester425
01-25-2011, 10:46 AM
I wonder what they plan to do to avoid problems with depth perception.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Any chance that a bunch of dudes in kayaks will be trying to shag the balls that go over the sides of the deck, kinda like the guys who wait for home runs to fly out of Candlestick Park? Would the Navy allow private boats to get close to that event?

SJZag
01-25-2011, 12:31 PM
I can all but guarantee you that there will be no basketballs rolling into the water. The average width of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier flight deck is about 255 feet, and flight deck lengths are approximately 1000 feet. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure there'll be people sitting around the court in some configuration.

Wow, what a cool idea for a game venue!

a13coach
01-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Meh. It would be much more interesting if they were playing while the carrier was asea and doing 30 knots. :)

FuManShoes
01-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Guys might think twice before going after a loose ball

gozagswoohoo
01-25-2011, 12:44 PM
It's a good thing the NCAA did away with the whole "calling time out while you're flying out of bounds rule", otherwise, guys would be calling timeouts as the fly over the edge of the ship.

IMO, the biggest problem will be the wind factor.

bullzag23
01-25-2011, 01:02 PM
It's a good thing the NCAA did away with the whole "calling time out while you're flying out of bounds rule", otherwise, guys would be calling timeouts as the fly over the edge of the ship.

IMO, the biggest problem will be the wind factor.

But wouldn't there be a delay of game penalty if the guy flying off the ship can't get back on before the timeout is up? :D

Zagnificent
01-25-2011, 01:30 PM
I'll watch...but only if they have one of the sides of the court directly against the edge of the deck. That would make for one heck of a game. Players would really think hard before going for that corner three.

VaBeachZAG
01-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Very cool indeed. The only concern might be weather (rain and/or troublesome wind). Having to calculate windage on three point attempts could be quite the challenge. Sooooooooooooo, how about a follow up the following year on a carrier in Norfolk?

CDC84
01-25-2011, 03:08 PM
With the way the UNC point guards turn the ball over, the refs better have a supply of extra basketballs below deck.

I hear there will be cruise ship entertainers instead of cheerleaders......

tobizag
01-25-2011, 07:23 PM
what a stupid gimmick

dazags
01-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Coolest idea I've heard of in a long time. I think it's great! I can't wait.

ID ZAGFAN
01-25-2011, 08:20 PM
what a stupid gimmick

I don't think it is stupid! It's on Veteran's Day, so I am assuming it is to honor our Veterans and those currently in uniform. Also, I am assuming that many, if not most of the spectators will be our men and women in uniform. Very cool!!!

ZaGranny

Kiddwell
01-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Pretty awesome way to treat our men & women in the Navy and Marines. Great matchup at "their place." It'd be really neat if the Zags could swing such a venue against another "name" opponent.

By the way, isn't there an aircraft carrier that HQ's at Everett?

:]

tobizag
01-26-2011, 12:25 PM
i'm all for the ncaa utilizing their product to show support for our armed services on veteran's day. it's a terrific idea.

this seems more like a gimmick though...more about a made for tv event and advertising revenue on tv as opposed to an actual way to honor/treat our service members.

want to honor them on veteran's day? have carolina play army as the visiting team in madison square garden, and reserve every seat in the house for free admission for service members and westpoint students.

have michigan state play air force at air force. have georgetown play navy in DC with the same ticket setup as mentioned above.

this sounds like it's really just about creating a buzz-"worthy" tv event. the air craft carrier is a gimmick. how will they deal with potential weather effects (wind and sun come to mind as key factors) during an outdoor game on the pacific coast?

even more questions could be asked re: costs to transform a naval aircraft carrier into a bball arena, costs to outfit the ship to protect against inclement weather, etc, and who is footing the bill....just to name a few.