PDA

View Full Version : Xavier Johnson listing Gonzaga

BobZag
01-25-2011, 09:43 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1042613.html

Xavier Johnson, 6-6 JR SF/PF Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei, is one of the elite prospects in the West Coast class of 2012. An athletic lefty, Johnson has the ability knock down threes or post up smaller players in the paint. Johnson’s versatility is one reason he’s such an intriguing prospect. He has the quickness to defend on the perimeter, but also the strength and size to play inside. It’s possible he will eventually grow into a straight four man but, for now, I’m projecting Johnson as a potential SF/PF at the next level.

I spoke with Johnson recently and asked him about the schools that are recruiting him.

“The main ones have been USC, UCLA, Cal, UNLV, Gonzaga, Stanford, Utah and also Georgetown a little bit,” said Johnson.

“I know I want to visit Utah,” said Johnson. “I can always go to USC or UCLA whenever I want. I definitely want to visit UNLV again. And I’m trying to see what Gonzaga, Cal and Georgetown are all about.”

Johnson said he’s not sure when he might make a decision.

Baldwinzag
01-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the update, BZ. Sounds promising and have to think Coach Daniels has his foot in the California recruiting door on this one as well...

Man-o-Man, we really really need to the make the Tourney this season -- I'll tell ya, 13 consecutive years & countings sounds a whole lot better than saying we missed it by only {this} much...:(

CDC84
01-25-2011, 10:15 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4320518

Long, slender lefty with big-time body and athleticism. Highly skilled, excellent feel for the game. One of the elite prospects in the country for 2012.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Xavier-Johnson-109516;_ylt=AhMz0Yh6vKjfT7n_VvHhe0_VO5B4

Johnson is the 79th rated prospect in the 2012 class with Rivals.

ZagNative
01-25-2011, 10:32 AM
95 ESPN Scout, Inc., grade (http://www.spokesman.com/zags/), four-star.

He would have encountered Gary Bell December 28th, when Kentridge played Mater Dei in the Orange Holiday Classic. Wonder if Donny was there for that game. It was the day before Lafayette at GU.

ronh_pm
01-25-2011, 04:38 PM
I have no reason to suspect anything whatsoever is not absolutely perfect with Mr. Johnson, however the Mater Dei program has turned out a few less than "committed" commitees the past few years, the latest being Gary Franklin of Cal who has moved on to Baylor half way through his freshman year.

Franklin would be one of I believe seven the school has turned out that have left thier intial college team for greener pastures in the past few years.

MickMick
01-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Dejavu all over again

Kyle Wiltjer has cooled me on "top prospects in the nation" type players.

I'll believe it when I see it. Otherwise, a GU mention is a nice resume builder for both partys.

On the other hand, I do regard Gary Bell as very close to that category.

thickman1
01-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Dejavu all over again

I'll believe it when I see it. Otherwise, a GU mention is a nice resume builder for both partys.

amen :clap:

Baseline
01-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Recruiting is like fishing, you don't land the big one every time!

CDC84
01-26-2011, 08:55 PM
I expect to see the staff aim high in 2012. Spencer, Bennett, Johnson, etc. - all these guys are legit top 75 level players.

ronh_pm
01-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Dejavu all over again

One thing you can believe is that when one door closes another door opens. And as we have seen many many times, whats behind door number two is often better than what was behind door number one.

The latest high school rankings for 2011 kids from one of my favorite Canadian websites has the recruits rated as below

1 Myck Kabongo PG Findlay Prep Prep (SOB)
2 Kevin Pangos PG Denison Ontario
3 Kevin Thomas SF CFCA Prep (SOB)
4 Khem Birch PF Notre Dame Prep (SOB)
5 Kyle Wiltjer PF Jesuit Prep (SOB)

http://www.northpolehoops.com/Highschool-Player-Rankings

Hard to say if both would have committed here but for now we can argue that we did not do too bad.

ZagAddict
01-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Dejavu all over again

+1,000,000,000

I'm not paying attention to "top prospect" talk any longer and I have a feeling with the way GU is playing this year, "top prospects" aren't paying attention to GU either.

Besides, any recruit that signs with GU we seem to put into the "elite" category anyways and put unrealistic expectations on them.

I'd prefer to see GU be able to develop talent and have a more junior/senior led team instead of relying upon freshman to step right in and contribute at a high level.