PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few Radio Show on now (01/24/11)

ZagNative
01-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Rob will be the second half guest. KGA 1510 AM. 960 AM in the Tri-Cities.

adoptedzag
01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
recap if anyone can please.

ZagNative
01-24-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm always afraid I'll misrepresent something unless I go verbatim, so FWIW, below is my transcript of Rob Sacre's part of the show.

Rob was just terrific. He has grown so much during his time at Gonzaga and is so well-spoken. What a neat guy. I'm afraid the transcript will lose much of the flavor of the conversation (I did leave in all the "You know what?"s, just for Rob flavoring :)), but here it is anyway:

TH Rob, you were in the middle of that play in the San Fancisco game .. How is it for you .. They implement the rules, but our thought, and it sounds like it's been your thought, I mean in the Santa Clara game, you had a rebound, you're holding the ball up there, and two guys jump at you and Troy Payne ties you up.

Rob Right.

TH So two days later, you've got a rebound, guys are swarming at you, and it looked like, from our perspective, you're just trying to protect the basketball. I mean, that's a big part of the game. Were you thinking that at all, was that in your mindset?

Rob Yeah, I didn't want to get tied up. In Santa Clara, I got tied up and there was a kind of change of momentum game a little bit, and so I didn't want to happen again, and I kind of zoned out and didn't think that it was our possession arrow, and that was on me, and I just tried to protect the ball as much as possible, didn't want any pokes or prods. I just wanted to get to the free throw line, because I knew they had to foul, and so I just wanted to protect the ball, and if they were going to tie me up they tie me up or if they were going to foul me they foul me, so that was in my mind. But the rule, that was on me again, I should have put my elbows down, and I knew what I was getting myself into when I had my elbows up, but I just tried to protect the basketball as much as possible.

TH Hey, Rob. I give you guys a ton of credit, though. That was one of those plays that felt like, "Oh, No!" Huge call, but then for Meech to stick a three, for you guys to be able to come back from that and force a three, I give you guys a ton of credit for that.

Rob Oh! You know what? Guys hit big shots at the end when we needed it, and that was stupendous. I couldn't even know how to react when all those threes were going down. David Stockton hit a shot, Monninghoff hit a great three at the end, it was like "This is going to be our win." And, you know what? At the end of the day, they just knew how to pull one out.

TH And now you come home, and you're three and two, with St. Mary's coming in. We knew this was going to be a big game, the two teams are going to be at the top of the league coming into this thing, but maybe more now, with them undefeated and you sitting at three and two, this becomes a bigger game than if both of you were undefeated, because, let's be honest, if you're goint to defend this league title, you're probably going to need a win on Thursday night.

Rob It's not even a win trying to defend any title. We're just trying to get wins, and that's all that matters to us is getting wins, doing what we need to do to be successful, and, really, we don't have that many home games left, so we need to savor all these home games as much as possible.

TH (Returning from commercial) How do you guys feel, getting ready for the St. Mary's game coming out of last weekend?

Rob You know what? The coaches have prepared us so much this year for difficult games, going into big, huge games, and so I think we just have to view it as another game, really. When we look at other games we've played earlier, we had Baylor, we had Xavier, we had OK-State, and I think we really responded. And when we came back and we had that losing streak at the beginning of the year, we responded off of that. So I'm not too concerned.

TH When you look at the league, so many teams have good shooters, it's different than some of those teams you played. You talk about Oklahoma State, they had some shooters, they also had some big guys. A lot of those teams are built differently than the teams you're seeing right now.

Rob Right. The WCC in general is more of a kind of shooting, guard-oriented kind of league, and I think it's just one of those things were we just had to kind of adjust, and I think every year we do adjust to the WCC style of play. I think we're doing all right, though.

TH And now you have St. Mary's at home. Let's get that Kennel Club fired up, getting you guys back home and playing a good one on Thursday night.

Rob Yeah, we're tough to beat at home. Everyone knows that, and that's why a lot of teams don't like to play us at home. So we're just fired up to be at home, and this is a place we need to savor, because we don't have that many more games left in the Kennel, so we just have to come in and play our style of game.

TH Switching gears, talking about the charity work, what does it mean for you as a player, knowing that people are looking up to you? I think that's a hard thing for 17 and 18 year old kids coming into school, and all of a sudden everybody is holding you up pretty high. What does it mean for you to be able to go out and do this [charity work]?

Rob Obviously, you're set with some responsibilities, and people look up to you, and you have to have a good, clean image. You know guys and little girls are going to come around and they are huge fans all around Spokane, so you just have to kind of be very supportive and be happy where you are, because Spokane is, honestly, the greatest place in the U.S. for college basketball. No question. People support you, I say Hi to fans all day every day, and it's just one of those things, where I'm happy to be in Spokane.

TH And, Rob, something people don't see a lot of, that we don't talk a lot about, that it's some of the things that you do. You go to the Ronald McDonald House and you see some kids that are facing some significant struggles, and being in the hospitals and having that impact on people.

Rob You know what, it's great to kind of bring you down to reality, and I think that's the best thing Coach does is he shows us, you know what, life's too short to be unhappy, and this isn't really a job. We should be proud to have a game that we can play and get a scholarship off of, and we're very fortunate as a team. All the players on this team are very fortunate that we can do this and we're not having half the struggles that a lot of people are doing in this world, and so I think we've just got to savor what we've got right now and just enjoy what we have.

What a treat that character has been to have in Spokane!

Kiddwell
01-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Nice post, ZN. Rob seems a great guy. The rest of the regular season's going to be thrilling. Every...game...counts, if we're gonna dance for the thirteenth year in a row.

:]

adoptedzag
01-25-2011, 06:32 AM
Thanks for that, ZN! I'd give you more rep if I could :D

Hoopaholic
01-25-2011, 09:46 AM
what an awesome young man.......