• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 77Zag
    Zag for Life
    • Aug 2007

What have we become, what we will become

Let’s put a few things in perspective. The once “little school that could” has turned into a very well recognized basketball power. We’ve become the major mid-major. Many discussions and threads have come forth about getting the best shots from the opposition. It use to be getting the best shots from the WCC, now all teams circle the dates when the Zags take the floor. Not to mention the fans come out in droves for the contests.

The WCC games see near sell outs, although many are Zag faithful and many want to see the traveling road show – Gonzaga Basketball. Usually, the only sell out for the WCC teams all year. Special pricing and ticket options revolve around the Zag visit to their confines. This “cult” program, from a once unheard of school from Spokane, has risen to the forefront of the college hoop arena.

Last week was a shining example of all the above.

The SCU game proved to be the “community bonding game” for the Broncos. Fans, alumni, sponsors and the school united and cherished their day in the spotlight on ESPNU for taking the Zags to task. They stormed the court after a victory over an un-rated second place team in the WCC. Good for SCU, enjoy the moment.

The USF game - the event of the year at War Memorial. A smallish student section, some empty overpriced reserved seats untaken due to a foolish sales strategy and the GA stuffed with Zag faithful and local SF folk taking in the Zag road show. It was a very entertaining game, ups, downs, technical fouls, back and forth.

I found it very interesting; as I looked at the past history for the Dons on banners hanging above. The Dons with two NCAA titles, another Final Four, a WCC Championship in 1998 and a NIT Championship. I witnessed another storming of the court for the second year in a row. This is very ironic for a team with a stellar history, although long ago, taking down the second place, unrated Zags. Again, hats off to USF for their moment in the sun.

The SCU game was within reach, however, hacked by a pace of call after call and a player having his way with a career game. A basic train wreck in the making from about the 8 minute left mark in the second half.

The USF game was not played with lack of hustle nor intensity. I saw the Zags fighting to the finish with clutch shots to keep our chances alive. The players along with Few and staff were doing all they could to pull it off.

So, here we are; a young team with immense talent. A team that is just does not quite understanding the pressure of holding up to the status created by our recent history. It’s not simply taking the best shots anymore; it’s taking a full throttle assault and desire to take down the “cult hoops show” of Gonzaga.

As for our team, the determining factor will be what we become, sounds just like the mantra for Gonzaga on the academic side. “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Let’s just see what we become. I suspect they will do us proud in the balance of the WCC schedule. Las Vegas is going to be the first WCC Tournament in some time that will have meaning beyond winning the WCC Tournament.

Go Zags!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”
  • jaydee77
    Bulldog Fan
    • Feb 2007

great perspective. See ya in Vegas

Comment

• cjm720
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2007

Great post, 77!
      Go Zags!!!

Comment

• baitcast
        Kennel Club Material
        • Oct 2007

One of the better posts of the year.
        Rob

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2008

The Zags had what alcoholics refer to as 'a moment of clarity.'

Gotta play harder and with greater focus. No wasted possessions on offense. Contest every shot on defense. Rebound as hard as possible. Value the ball. Hopefully this last weekend proves to be a galvanizing experience for the team rather than irreparable burst in the wall of the dam.
          What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• GoZags
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jaydee77 View Post
            great perspective. See ya in Vegas
            Look forward to seeing you both in Vegas.
            sigpic
            “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
            ——-
            List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
            Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• gamagin
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

77Zag

excellent post. thanks !
              Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
              Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
              Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• RenoZag
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Zags have had the 'bulls-eye' on their backs for a long while; this year the opposing marksmen are better than ever.

Good thoughts, 77. Balance of the year should be exciting.
                The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                  • Mar 2008

make sure I buy you a beer in vegas for that post...perfect
                  The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• 77Zag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                    make sure I buy you a beer in vegas for that post...perfect
                    I'll be ready when you are -- send me a PM and I'll be happy to hook up at one of the MANY bars at the Orleans, or better yet, visit our hospitality room!

“The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• ZagMan
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Jan 2011

I agree fully, great post!

Comment

• Zagguy
                        Bulldog Fan
                        • Feb 2007

The hospitality room is the best in LV - off or on the strip. Great post, 77.

Comment

Working...
                        X