PDA

View Full Version : Meehan's Day-After Blog ( USF )

RenoZag
01-23-2011, 02:05 PM
LINK (http://www.spokesman.com/zags/blog/2011/jan/23/day-after-san-francisco/)

The two road losses obviously leave Gonzaga climbing uphill in the WCC standings. It also puts GU’s chances for an at-large NCAA berth, provided it doesn’t earn the conference’s automatic bid, in deeper jeopardy.

“Our coaches have been in this conference for a long time, they know what’s coming,” Stockton said. “We have a big one with Saint Mary’s. We have to move forward and get back to what got us wins (prior to the road trip).”

Few wasn’t reaching for the panic button. “I told them it’s early in the league season, we still control own destiny,” he said. “That was a heck of a ball game. The best thing about college athletics is you’ve got another game coming around the corner. We can pout and hang our heads after the last game of the season.”

Section 116
01-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Here's another uphill battle. Defending national finalist Butler dropped an overtime game today to 10-11 Wisconsin Milwaukee to drop to 14-7 overall, 6-3 Horizon league tied for second. Think there are some restless Butler fans. Few has remarked over and over how difficult it is to get into the NCAA tournament, which is what makes Gonzaga's current run so remarkable. You can look around the country and find numerous other examples of "Big Time" programs on the fence if you will. Nuff said.

madness
01-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Here's another uphill battle. Defending national finalist Butler dropped an overtime game today to 10-11 Wisconsin Milwaukee to drop to 14-7 overall, 6-3 Horizon league tied for second. Think there are some restless Butler fans. Few has remarked over and over how difficult it is to get into the NCAA tournament, which is what makes Gonzaga's current run so remarkable. You can look around the country and find numerous other examples of "Big Time" programs on the fence if you will. Nuff said.

This is an excellent point. It also comes down to dealing with hardship, team bonding, and eventual leadership arisal out of that bond.

At this point, even if the Zags og 0-2 against SMC and lose more supposed gimmes, any progress needs to be looked at as working towards that WCC championship. This could very well be first year since the new format that the Zags have to play 3 games. This could also be the first year that we see this team start to truly gel at the end of the season.

The Coaching staff needs to take this adversity and look each man in the eyes and challenge them to do better. Get better every day!

Hoopaholic
01-23-2011, 02:33 PM
glad i have tickets as vegas is shaping up to be an intense battle of GOOD basketball

JPtheBeasta
01-23-2011, 02:39 PM
If it can happen to the Tar Heals, it can happen to anybody- especially when you consider the tradition and recruiting resources that they have. Butler was the national championship runner-up last year and having struggles this year. Duke was down several years ago. The jury is out on Michigan State this year. GU has been blessed and I know that I have taken that for granted. All of my energy has been used in the past for angst that we haven't made that jump to the next level, whatever exactly that means, when perhaps I should just be thankful for the great years. This does feel like a down year for GU, and it is unrealistic to think that this can't happen to us. It is yet to be determined how "down" it will be, and hopefully it just means that we have to sweat out a March dance ticket a little more than usual.

GU still controls its own destiny, so I guess we'll see what our guys are made of.

Rbo
01-23-2011, 03:13 PM
I agree with Few: The USF game was a heckofa game to watch (other than the elbows and the outcome). The Santa Clara game was agonizing and it seemed like the Zags were sleepwalking the whole game.