PDA

View Full Version : At least the announcers were great!

nonzagzag
01-23-2011, 11:48 AM
they were the most knowledgeable, insightful, interesting announcers I remember for a while, could we get them for some more WCC road games please?

Birddog
01-23-2011, 12:02 PM
You're kidding, right?

UberZagFan
01-23-2011, 12:46 PM
You're kidding, right?

Uber is pretty sure he sees a tongue in the cheek...

Drew
01-23-2011, 01:48 PM
The announcers were horrible.

sullyzag66
01-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Missed the Michael Jordan references.

bballbeachbum
01-23-2011, 02:13 PM
was it Barry Thompkins and Dan Belloumini? I taught Belloumini's daughter how to swim, and even bumped into him in the john before the game last night, with my Zag cap on :) a little conflict of interest for Belloumini in this one, eh? would not have been able to listen to him.

Mantua
01-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Is this what we can expect for WCC road games from now on? Pure torture! The bad reffing, the bad broadcasting. Painful to watch, painful to listen to. C'mon team, give us some wins to relieve our suffering! I broke down and used the mute button last night and missed Heister and Ehlo.

RenoZag
01-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Was it Barry Thompkins and Dan Belloumini?

Greg Papa, Oakland Raiders & GS Warriors broadcaster. He does a fair amount of work for Comcast basketball broadcasts also.

tinfoilzag
01-23-2011, 04:59 PM
HD was a fair trade for those announcers.

NEC26
01-23-2011, 05:00 PM
HD was a fair trade for those announcers.

No kidding, I can't believe KHQ doesn't step up to the 21st century and get some HD cameras.

FuManShoes
01-23-2011, 05:05 PM
How do you like it?!?

Umm, I don't

bballbeachbum
01-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Greg Papa, Oakland Raiders & GS Warriors broadcaster. He does a fair amount of work for Comcast basketball broadcasts also.

Greg Papa is a Bay Area homer for sure. have always liked him calling the Raider games, tho there's only one Bill King, RIP

mgadfly
01-23-2011, 07:10 PM
I liked them. I liked the announcers for the Portland-USF game as well (they may have been the same ones).

I thought they were less "homers" than the fantastic duo that calls the WCC games in Spokane.

Rio Runner
01-24-2011, 06:11 AM
Greg Papa is a Bay Area homer for sure. have always liked him calling the Raider games, tho there's only one Bill King, RIP

I could not agree more. Papa is terrific, and yes, he is a homer -- he does USF games. But no one can hold a candle to Bill King. "Holy Toledo!"

Rio Runner
01-24-2011, 06:13 AM
How do you like it?!?

Umm, I don't

That's Barry Tomkins. Papa is "TOUCHDOWN RRRRRRRRRRAIDERS!!!"

BSUBronco74
01-24-2011, 10:44 AM
I thought they did an excellent job with the GU-USF game, and am not joking. They were complimentary and knowledgeable about Zags players and the GU program in general. They also provided good insight into the Don's players who many viewers in the PNW might not have been too familiar with. They stayed fully engaged with the action and tempo of the game that was being played in front of them, and did not drift away on tangents or allow the broadcast to devolve into a running series of personal anecdotes that had nothing to do with the game at hand. They did not "take any plays off" and allow the game to actually go uncommented for minutes at a time, as do some broadcasters who we are all familiar with.

I was able to leave the room occasionally and still completely follow the game action by means of the audio commentary alone.

Although both Papa and Belloumini are longtime Bay Area denizens and closely associated with professional and collegiate sports there, I disagree with those who thought they were "homers". Their play-by-play and color comments were decidedly even-handed. Yes, Belloumini was the head bball coach at USF some years ago, but I don't recall him referring to that even once during the broadcast. As for Papa, he is very much a seasoned professional, and it shows.

I lived in Santa Clara county for 13 years, and listened to KNBR daily (especially the Barbieri-Tolbert show). Papa and Belloumini were frequent and insightful guests on that radio show, and I always enjoyed them.

btzag
01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
From a bay area perspective I can see how it did not appear to be that bad. Also if you are a casual fan you probably would not care much for in depth analysis, which we definitely did not get much of.

What made it terrible was when you have so many controversial plays that went almost exclusively against the zags and the announcers refused to even discuss or analyze the action. Basically they just gave the viewers a recap of the play and buried the fact that it was a highly suspect call. In fact the only time they spoke up was the sacre call and only so to defend the call without giving an analysis that sacres actions were perfectly acceptable for the history pf bball up until this year. Bad analysis as casual fans would not know this.

Then they don t even break down the last play! Given the phantom call and kobe style continuation you would think they would have mentioned something but instead we heard that he got fouled and was given continuation. Nothing else despite slow mo replays.THAT is terrible announcing.

sittingon50
01-24-2011, 12:31 PM
The only fault I found was that they each took their turns mispronouncing Gonzaga. Especially for Dan B., how does that happen?