PDA

View Full Version : Our leader on the court is ?

kclubfounder
01-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Gray? No way. Not his personality AT ALL. We all know it. We all knew it. That's just the way it is. In fact, I think since he is supposed to be a leader his game is being hurt.

Sacre? Playing awesome. I think he is probably a really cool guy. I think he'd be a great pal. Leader? I don't think so, except by example.

Meech? Hard worker. Trying to keep his job.

I never thought Matt Bouldin was all that great. Don't get me wrong. I thought he was a very good college player, but I just always felt like he was over-hyped.

I was wrong.

kingzag
01-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Eventually will be Stockton.

roxdoc
01-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Heaven help us!

thespywhozaggedme
01-22-2011, 10:47 PM
David Stockton

Mantua
01-22-2011, 10:48 PM
David Stockton

ZagsObserver
01-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Stockton...I was skeptical at the beginning of the year, but his poise has just been amazing for a RS freshman.

McZag
01-23-2011, 04:30 AM
This team has no leadership or solid play from the point. First time I have seen this kind of lack of leadership in the Few era.

I thought this was Guard U but there is no sign of that this year.

1973Zag
01-23-2011, 06:02 AM
If GG or GJ had stayed, would things be different? Just a thought, not sure myself.

Reborn
01-23-2011, 07:27 AM
The leader of this team is Stephen Gray. You may not like him, but he's still the leader of the Zags. As Few said, "He's the toughest of them all." He's playing hurt and not complaining. He guards the opposing team's best guard every game, and he is still able to score nearly 20 pts a game. He is more than a 3 pt shooter, and he showed that last night. He displayed a very good mid-range game last night because his outside shot was off. He's had to be a pointguard on this team, and he is not a point guard. And when it's time to hit the floor and dive for a loose ball Stvenj will be the first to get on the floor. Steven Grayis a fighter. He's is a winner, and in my book, he's a great leader. I'd love to be on his side any time. The few problems that this team has are not problems caused by Steven, and he more than anyone, he is trying to make up for those flaws.

Please don't tell me that the Zags did not fight last night, or that they did not give everything they had to get that victory. The Zags made some incredible shots in that game. The fought to the bitter end. IMO!!!! And Steven led the way. USF played a great game. Give those guys some credit too.

ZagLawGrad
01-23-2011, 08:13 AM
David Stockton

While Stockton has shown so far that he has some poise and is tough, let's not get carried away on crowning him the leader of this team.

There's still some guys in line ahead of him despite the losses.

kclubfounder
01-23-2011, 08:16 AM
It is difficult for me to put in precise words why I don't think Stephen is a great "leader". It seems to me that a leader on the court is someone who does more than play the game very well. We have guys who play the game very well, and are tough - like Stephen.

I think great teams also have guys who, along with the coach, make adjustments during a game. During the flow of the game, they can sense opportunities not just for themselves, but for their teammates. They can help direct the team to play better defense and better offense.

Teammates of a great "leader" look to that player to make those adjustments. I think sometimes it is obvious (when the leader grabs a teammate and talks directly into their ear), and sometimes it is more subtle (eye contact, or the reversal of a play, or the change of a defensive matchup).

If the coach is the only leader - and all plays, matchups, defensive positions, etc... are called exclusively from the bench, a team will never reach its potential.

I think a "leader" would LOVE to have Stephen on their team, but I still maintain Stephen is not that guy, despite his talent and his toughness.

NEC26
01-23-2011, 08:19 AM
I wouldn't call Stockton the leader of the team yet but what is really clear at this point is that he brings cohesion to the team every time he steps out there. Meech had the best half of basketball I've seen from him and we scored 48 points. Second half we come out and struggle again (and consequently we fall behind)insert Stockton and once again we make a run. We pull ahead because we start scoring again and during this run we are playing better defense as well by the way.
He commits his fourth foul has to come out and we lose the lead. I posted this somewhere else but I'll say it again. ITS NOT A COINCIDENCE!
The guy makes this team gel and makes plays out there. Doesn't mean he is stuffing the stat sheet but he is making this team a lot better. Over the last 5 or so weeks every time he steps out there this team goes on a run EVERY time.
This team needs someone who can make our offense run. Especially Harris, he is a weapon but from what I have seen needs a guard that can get him the ball in the right spots in exactly the right time. Sacre as well to a certain point. We have great players but Gray and Meech together don't make this team flow offensively. Its not that they aren't good players but they have the same weakness in my opinion.

GonzagaLove
01-23-2011, 09:00 AM
If GG or GJ had stayed, would things be different? Just a thought, not sure myself.

Good question. I often wonder myself. It will be interesting to see how GG does at Creighton next year. Most on these boards poo-poo the idea of GG ever really contributing, but I see him being very similar to Stock, but a little bigger and older; high IQ, good passer, good outside shooter with some ability to put the ball on the floor and a leader. He could have been just what our team needed. How we let him go with such uncertainty in our guards I do not know. As a Bluejay also, I will be following him closely.

Reborn
01-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Good question. I often wonder myself. It will be interesting to see how GG does at Creighton next year. Most on these boards poo-poo the idea of GG ever really contributing, but I see him being very similar to Stock, but a little bigger and older; high IQ, good passer, good outside shooter with some ability to put the ball on the floor and a leader. He could have been just what our team needed. How we let him go with such uncertainty in our guards I do not know. As a Bluejay also, I will be following him closely.

I don't recall a game that GG had that had an effect on the team the way the Stockton does. Stockton has now had about 5 of these games. And we are seeing that he can shoot the 3. Stockton has basketball IQ, and he has confidence. I like that about him. And I like it that Rob through him the ball to take that open 3 to nearly seal the game. I thought the game was over after Stockton hit that 3. But like is said, "It's never over till it's over."

bigblahla
01-23-2011, 10:01 AM

GG? No. I was as big a GG fan as there was on this board but Grant was too slow of foot on D.

GJ, that's a different story, don't know what could have been but the kid had hops still hadn't learned the system but very quick and very athletic. Me thinks we could have used him more than Carter.

Water under the bridge.

Go!! Zags!!!