PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

Zerogame
01-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Stephen needs to get some new Keds. Over the last two games he must have slipped and fallen a half dozen times. If the cause is the knee, then he needs to take some time off before he really hurts himself. The kid is a warrior!

Saxon_zag
01-23-2011, 09:20 AM
After the last two games he needs to change something... New fresh hair cut? Freshmen Buzz?

MickMick
01-23-2011, 09:39 AM
He needs to cut down on the dribbling unless it is moving toward the basket.

At the start of the season there was almost no team movement, without the ball, on offense. Now there is some movement, but it is slow and indecisive.

Until GU can offensivley "weave" players through the opposing defense with intensity and purpose, so that it gives the appearance of a fine tuned machine, Steven will struggle.

Opposing teams devise a game plan to mitigate Steven offensively. Because of this, he will constantly have players draped all over him. This is why he is forced to work so hard at the dribble. This is why his team has to help him by quickly finding open spots and presenting themselves as an outlet.

Often, with no one to pass to, and covered up with the oppostion's best defender, Steven tries to create off the dribble, or shoot long bombs early in the shot clock.

This is not his game.

Steven's game is that of the reciever. It is Steven that should be moving without the ball and finding open spots.

Combine that with getting into the habit of consistently feeding Robert down low, and Steven would have higher percentage shots all day long.

FuManShoes
01-23-2011, 09:46 AM
The Zags scored 91 points - 85 in regulation on the road with about 15 points left at the line and a ton of missed bunnies. All this second guessing about the offense makes little sense. They only had 9 TOs in 45 minutes. The problem is the defense (and in this game, free throw shooting). It sucks.

gamagin
01-23-2011, 10:01 AM
The Zags scored 91 points - 85 in regulation on the road with about 15 points left at the line and a ton of missed bunnies. All this second guessing about the offense makes little sense. They only had 9 TOs in 45 minutes. The problem is the defense (and in this game, free throw shooting). It sucks.

It's said that familiarity breeds contempt. In the WCC, it breeds competition. Forty nonstop minutes of intense mano a mano, sometimes rec-league quality, run and gun, even a little reckless, but always intense, basketball.

Unless we break the other team's will, or break their hearts, or just shut them down in their favorite sets and plays, and limit their hot hands, and play our game, it will be this way.

SFU made their worst weakness (f.t.'s) a strength, and we made our biggest strength (f.t.'s), a liability, on this particular night.

Zerogame
01-23-2011, 11:43 AM
What jumped out at me was Steven's feet going out from underneath him on defense and offense on quick moves. It is not his play that concerns me. Has anyone else noticed or is it just too many brews on my part?

JPtheBeasta
01-23-2011, 02:09 PM
What jumped out at me was Steven's feet going out from underneath him on defense and offense on quick moves. It is not his play that concerns me. Has anyone else noticed or is it just too many brews on my part?

I made note of it Thursday, and Meech seemed to slip up a couple of times too (against SCU). It prompted my Turtle wax conspiracy post. Seriously, though, Gray does have a wrapped knee and that could be effecting his stability and balance. I remember one play in particular where it really cost us because had he not slipped on the baseline he would have been there for the rebound on a missed SFU shot.

There were a lot of "what if" type plays like that in this game where a lot of things had to go wrong for GU to lose, and they did.

Baseline
01-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Watching gray play, I'm convinced his knee is hurting pretty bad. When you have pain and muscle problems you can't react and tend to stumble or slip like what he is doing.
If his condition persists I would set him down for a game or two and if he plays I would cut his time and limit his role. Steven is key to this teams success and is a real worrier. Sometimes worriers don't do whats best for themselves.

Rio Runner
01-24-2011, 05:57 AM

Yes. And it seems to me it has been happening off and on all year. Occasionally he stumbles, slips, and runs with stiff legs, as if the floor is made of ice.

His play has been concerning me. He obviously is talented and is at his best when he plays within the flow of the game. When he tries to do too much, I cringe.