PDA

View Full Version : I don't get what all the griping at refs is about

Reborn
01-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Gonzaga lost their own game, and that's the truth. They shot 55% from the foul line and USF shot 84%. We made 15 Free throws and they made 27. USF only shot 5 more FT's then the Zags.

The Zags were obviously tired and not even that fired up after Meech makes an incredible three point shot to tie the game and send it into overtime. Gonzaga makes one basket in overtime a 3 pointer by Monninghoff. They shoot 1-8. Zags got nothing in OT from our so called "three headed monster." Zags were 2-8 from the foul line in OT. USF 4-4. Oh by the way Gonzaga did get more 3 pointers than USF 8-7, and Steven Gray only had one of them.

Zags looked good overall on offense. Zag's bench played really well i thought on offense. But overall our DEFENSE STUNK. Sacre played the worse defense Ive seen any center play. In overtime Sacre stood around and watched their guards dribble penetrate to the basket and score. Yes. He stood and watched. And did you see Sacre's defense of their center? I mean did he even try?

Why do we see such pathetic defense year after year after year?

Nevtelen
01-22-2011, 07:59 PM
The refs didn't let us play D, honestly. Any defensive play we made was determined to be a foul, so the team stopped playing D because they wanted some of their players to be left by the end of the game. No one was allowed to defend the drive, so no one did. We didn't drive as much as USF (we generally aren't a driving-type team), but fouls on the drive were obviously the only calls the refs cared to make (and they cared to make them often, and usually with NBA continuation). So clearly we should have driven it a lot more, even though we're an inside-out team and if the fouls in post-play had been called, Rob would have taken about 20 FTs.

ZagLawGrad
01-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Refs were bad, no doubt.

But the Zags had plenty of opportunities to win the game. If you want to be a championship team, you have to take advantage of those opportunities.

GrizZAG
01-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Nevtelen nails it...+1

Pargo the Destroyer
01-22-2011, 08:28 PM
I would actually like to see us run a clear out and see if Meech can take a guy 1 on 1. He has the handles and quickness, and if anything he draws a foul. Dons were the Hunter in OT. Zags looked like they never been there before. So frustrating.

webspinnre
01-22-2011, 11:39 PM
The refs were bad, but the Zags were bad too. If we can make shots, or execute even a semblance of an offense, or not make a silly overaggressive play on a rebound, or make acouple foul shots, we still win.

willandi
01-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Let's make it easier on the Refs. Put the 3' circle under the basket. No charges, no blocking calls if the defender is touching or inside the paint.
Adopt a rule from the NFL. If Coach thinks a player was hit by an elbow (ala Gray) he can call a time out and have it reviewed. ALL ELBOWS AND HANDS ABOVE THE SHOULDER ARE INTENTIONAL FOULS. Period...ALL. Coach gets 2 a game. If he is right, no time out, if right on both, he gets a 3rd. If he is right and the Refs refuse to look, or acknowledge when it is looked at, the league must review. If the Ref is wrong they are fined for the 1st offense, suspended a game for the 2nd, and the rest of the season if there is a 3rd. A rule with some teeth.

Saxon_zag
01-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Yeah we couldn't play D because of the refs. Check Calero's (sp? idc) fade away and 1 with harris guarding in the 1st half. That's what they were getting all game, and tell me what was Harris supposed to do there?

btzag
01-23-2011, 09:23 AM
It is true that bad refs plus bad play will get you a loss and that is what happened to the Zags last night. If we hit our free throws we probably put that group away and the chances were there. Few knows this and that is why he focuses on that area and not the refs.

But that does not excuse the refs and should not get them off the hook! Referees are in place to make sure the game of basketball is played correctly and fairly and if they do their job well you will almost not even notice them, you will instead focus on the teams and the great game you are watching. I almost feel like this group of officials is in place to create a great show! Wow come watch this lowly team knock off the big boys, david vs goliath, great theater!! Well it sucks for the zag players and frankly does not get them prepared to play professionally as they will never play in another league officiated like this!

I understand the anti-whining threads and the need for the zags to battle through adversity but refs need to do their job. If they can't do it well they should be removed. Period. This game should be poured over play by play to hear what the officials were thinking and hopefully improve.

btzag
01-23-2011, 09:27 AM
Yeah we couldn't play D because of the refs. Check Calero's (sp? idc) fade away and 1 with harris guarding in the 1st half. That's what they were getting all game, and tell me what was Harris supposed to do there?

Such a good point! You could pick out 10+ plays like that, easily. Funny thing was the announcers and FSN replayed those plays in slow mo and watched it multiple times and failed to mention ANYTHING about how the USF guy was not even touched. Some of the worst announcing I have ever heard.

I wonder what goes through a players head when he gets called for that? Think about the doubt and uncertainty when you play great D, don't touch the guy, and yet get called for a foul! What do you do on the next defensive play? Back off a little, maybe play more passive?

I don't think some fans realize the effect bad officiating can have on players.

VinnyZag
01-23-2011, 09:29 AM
The call on umlaut at the end was ridiculous. Replays clearly showed Monninghoff wasn't even all that close to the USF kid, and the continuation call was ... wow.

Reborn
01-23-2011, 11:31 AM
The refs were bad. No doubt. But I think they were bad both ways. The and -one calls were the worst for sure. However, I think if Gonzaga had won that game that USF's fans would have blamed the refs too. WCC refs are the worst in basketball, I would not argue against that. I can not stand WCC refs. My point about last night's game is that the Zags were also being rewarded with foul shots by the refs, both at the end of the game and in overtime. Had Gonzaga made most of those free throws we would have won. You just need to make those foul shots at the end of the game.

OH. By the way, the Zags weren't the only Eastern Washington team to lose at the foul line. WSU did the same thing against Arizona last night.

NovaZag
01-23-2011, 01:19 PM
The refs didn't let us play D, honestly. Any defensive play we made was determined to be a foul, so the team stopped playing D because they wanted some of their players to be left by the end of the game. No one was allowed to defend the drive, so no one did. We didn't drive as much as USF (we generally aren't a driving-type team), but fouls on the drive were obviously the only calls the refs cared to make (and they cared to make them often, and usually with NBA continuation). So clearly we should have driven it a lot more, even though we're an inside-out team and if the fouls in post-play had been called, Rob would have taken about 20 FTs.

Well, that's one interpretation. It looked to me like the Zags were trying hard on D, they just made some mistakes. Does poor officiating explain why we recovered late when helping, biting on pump fakes, not boxing out, reaching in after being whistled for reaching in? There were times when we defended perfectly well, but USF just hit some tough shots. Sure, there were some horrible calls which came at crucial moments, but it doesn't excuse our own mistakes. The team needs to understand their own defensive errors if they are to correct them.