PDA

View Full Version : I still believe that we're the best team in the WCC

thespywhozaggedme
01-22-2011, 06:57 PM
I don't care about records or scores, talent wise, we're far and away the best team in the WCC. I fully expect to beat SMC on Thursday night and I expect them to lose at Portland as well. I expect us to redeem our loses against USF and SC when they come to Spokane. Adversity brings out your true character and I believe in this team. Bring it!

NEC26
01-22-2011, 07:02 PM
I don't care about records or scores, talent wise, we're far and away the best team in the WCC. I fully expect to beat SMC on Thursday night and I expect them to lose at Portland as well. I expect us to redeem our loses against USF and SC when they come to Spokane. Adversity brings out your true character and I believe in this team. Bring it!

Actually, I do as well. I still think we can win the WCC but they have their work cut out for em.

RenoZag
01-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Don't stop believing.

It's always darkest before the dawn.

It isn't over til the fat lady sings.

Don't get involved in a land war in Asia. . .

gamagin
01-22-2011, 08:02 PM
doesn't kill us really could make us stronger. The devil is in the details and there's no one we can't beat in this league. Few is right. It's up to us. It's not over.

jayray
01-22-2011, 08:05 PM

You may be right but at the end of the day/season all that counts is winning.

Terrifteacher
01-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Okay fellas! You are in conference play. Year in and Year teams playing the Zags at home fill the place to the rafters and get out of this world performances (Foster this year and Bell last year) like we have seen the past 2 games. This league is not a cakewalk and it is about time we played with passion on the road. Home teams in the WCC (and most leagues) always manage to get calls to go their way.

Nevtelen
01-22-2011, 08:55 PM

I wish I still believed this, but I just don't anymore. SMC *might*, if we're lucky, lose 1 game in conference other than to us. Maybe. I think we'll probably beat them once in Spokane. It's a really big if whether we beat them twice. I highly doubt they'll lose one other time in conference.

MJ777
01-22-2011, 08:58 PM
doesn't kill us really could make us stronger. The devil is in the details and there's no one we can't beat in this league. Few is right. It's up to us. It's not over.

"I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride (the roller coaster) could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it."
~ Grandma from the movie Parenthood

sullyzag66
01-22-2011, 09:18 PM
I wish I still believed this, but I just don't anymore. SMC *might*, if we're lucky, lose 1 game in conference other than to us. Maybe. I think we'll probably beat them once in Spokane. It's a really big if whether we beat them twice. I highly doubt they'll lose one other time in conference.
I think home court is going to be a determining factor in this year's WCC, with the possible exception of San Diego.

thespywhozaggedme
01-22-2011, 09:53 PM

SMC was exposed today at Vandy; they have absolutely no bigs at all, zip, zilch, nada. They'll lose to us, @ Portland and possibly @ SCU.

MDABE80
01-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Spy..kinda like USF? Hey if we can get beat by USF and SCU, we can get beat by SMC! We're an equal opportunity loser;)

MickMick
01-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Zags swept SMC in conference play last year.

Does anyone outside of Spokane remember that?

Not really. We know what everyone remembers.

From this point forward, it is all about the Orleans in Las Vegas and there are more than just two dogs in that fight.

sullyzag66
01-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Zags swept SMC in conference play last year.

Does anyone outside of Spokane remember that?

Not really. We know what everyone remembers.

From this point forward, it is all about the Orleans in Las Vegas and there are more than just two dogs in that fight.
This could be the best tournament ever. The rest of the WCC season will be a donnybrook as well.

Nevtelen
01-23-2011, 01:05 AM
SMC was exposed today at Vandy; they have absolutely no bigs at all, zip, zilch, nada. They'll lose to us, @ Portland and possibly @ SCU.

They got smoked, no question. We also lost by about a billion @ WSU a while back. Does that mean we're doomed? One game (bad loss or not) does not a season make. Portland is the type of team that has very little chance of beating SMC IMO - SMC will out-execute them and that'll be it. SMC can struggle against big, athletic teams but seems to beat most others; that gives us a shot, but since they've already stomped on LMU @ LMU, I'm not sure who else has a chance at beating them. USF maybe. SCU is really bad except for against us @ SCU (beleive me, I've seen a couple of their other games this season); SMC will smoke them by the end of the first half.

sullyzag66
01-23-2011, 01:35 AM
They got smoked, no question. We also lost by about a billion @ WSU a while back. Does that mean we're doomed? One game (bad loss or not) does not a season make. Portland is the type of team that has very little chance of beating SMC IMO - SMC will out-execute them and that'll be it. SMC can struggle against big, athletic teams but seems to beat most others; that gives us a shot, but since they've already stomped on LMU @ LMU, I'm not sure who else has a chance at beating them. USF maybe. SCU is really bad except for against us @ SCU (beleive me, I've seen a couple of their other games this season); SMC will smoke them by the end of the first half.
I think Portland has a decent shot at home against SMC. They haven't shot 3's well on the road, but they seem to find the groove at home. SMC struggled a bit at LMU the other night. In that regard, I also think the Zags will struggle and could lose at Portland. I posted previously that I think home court will be an edge for the top four or five teams.

WccSoph
01-23-2011, 01:46 AM

That's a pretty bold statement with games remaining with St Marys,& at Portland and the way your team misses MATT BOULDINS leadership & intangibles from last yr.....ZAG BB 2010-11 , lots of talent, no heart!!!!

Das Zagger
01-23-2011, 07:46 AM
I think Portland has a decent shot at home against SMC. They haven't shot 3's well on the road, but they seem to find the groove at home. SMC struggled a bit at LMU the other night. In that regard, I also think the Zags will struggle and could lose at Portland. I posted previously that I think home court will be an edge for the top four or five teams.

They won by 23. If you consider that a struggle, I'd hate to see what they can do when hitting on all cylinders.

gamagin
01-23-2011, 08:01 AM
That's a pretty bold statement with games remaining with St Marys,& at Portland and the way your team misses MATT BOULDINS leadership & intangibles from last yr.....ZAG BB 2010-11 , lots of talent, no heart!!!!

MB is gone. period. I like the adversity this team will have to fight through to get where it wants to go. It needs to earn its way and there's time to do that. I'm not worried about the hearts. They're plenty strong. SMC game looms large. To be continued.

Reborn
01-23-2011, 08:33 AM
lots of talent, no heart!!!!

I totally DISAGREE. If you didn't see the heart of a Zag in that game last night than you are blind to what it is. I couldn't believe the heart that was on display last night. TAlk about the Zags hitting huge shots.....wow. One by Stockton. Huge heart! One by Monninghoff. Huge heart. And one by Meech!!!! Come on, man....Don't tell me these guys don't have heart.

The season is definitely going to be a "roller-coaster" ride. The conference is much better this year. SMC will lose more than one game, imo. And, I think they will lose more than two. I like what Big Rob said after the game. He said that the season isn't even half over yet, and that the Zags will get better. I believe that too.

DixieZag
01-23-2011, 09:11 AM
THAT is exactly why I get so pissed off about the calls in the game, I see Steven dragging on one leg, getting good position, no contact and get whistled to get the kid to the line. I see Rob grab a RB and have two guys all over him for 2 seconds - BEFORE he started elbowing out, you could read Few's lips "what was he supposed to do" he had a guy step right into him with both arms trying to wrap around the ball (still stupid to lead with elbows and the call was automatic as soon as the elbow went up, but the whistle should have blown a full 2 seconds before) - - Meech hustling down court and hitting a huge three, poor Manny - though he couldn't hit a free throw he got us two extra possessions with RBs off of FTs!! - - Stockton fouling out b/c he couldn't get a charging call no matter how long he had been there. The kids were playing such good Defense in OT that USF HELD THE BALL till 8 seconds, when have you EVER seen that?? USF knew they could not score any other way.

This team lacks a lot of things - - but I will not question the heart of these guys.

btzag
01-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Yes, WCCsoph is obviously just a lurker trying to piss zag fans off.

This Zag group definitely has heart but what any long time zag fan knows is that to consistently win on the road and sweep through this conference you have to have heart, be tough-minded to play through adversity(refs), take care of the ball, play great D, rebound and hit your free throws.

It is amazing what the Zags see in their 7 roads games year in and year out! For at least 5 of their WCC opponents this is the ONLY game that matters and that is not an exaggeration at all. A SCU or USF will lose at home to UCSB or Cal-Irvine and sleep walk through their other games and then all of a sudden it is Zag time and they throw special events around the game, sell-out their arena for the only time all year and just go all out on the court. People can say all they want about how a great team like Duke would handle it better, and they probably would, but no team in the country faces this at all! Think about it, what other national power plays in a lowly conference and faces "game of the year" scenarios every game? Memphis maybe? That's it.

This is an old argument I know, but the point is the Zags need a tough-minded and focused group to handle this adversity and pull out wins. They have stumbled in the past and recovered due to some great players and leaders. The question is this year is, do the Zags have those players and leaders to rebound?

sullyzag66
01-23-2011, 01:55 PM
They won by 23. If you consider that a struggle, I'd hate to see what they can do when hitting on all cylinders.
I was thinking of the San Diego game. They struggled and didn't blow out a team that is arguably the worst team in the League right now.

Das Zagger
01-23-2011, 06:19 PM
I was thinking of the San Diego game. They struggled and didn't blow out a team that is arguably the worst team in the League right now.

But they did boatrace a SCU team by 25 who beat us by 15. I see what you're you're saying but it doesn't make much sense.

FWIW, San Diego isn't even close to a high school team.

NEC26
01-23-2011, 07:00 PM
But they did boatrace a SCU team by 25 who beat us by 15. I see what you're you're saying but it doesn't make much sense.

Comparing scores is silly for the most part but to be fair SMC played SCU at home while we played at their house. Big difference especially in this conference.
Who wins next Thursday? I have no idea but I think we will if not just for the fact its at home. WE MUST DEFEND THE THREE!!!!!!

ZagLawGrad
01-23-2011, 07:04 PM
...WE MUST DEFEND THE THREE!!!!!!

Yikes! Now that's pressure. :)

MDABE80
01-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Basics: 1. Defend like crazy, 2. Rebound and control the ball, 3. No TO's and make your FT's.
Im done with the weekend.

Let's kick some ass at home!!!

Do the basics and we win/ We do have better talent. Unless Elias get's off his butt and goes on a tear, we might be in trouble. Tell Steven it's a tough game and we need him to resurrect his defense too. Those two things would get us weekend victories!! Go Zags!!

sullyzag66
01-23-2011, 07:47 PM

It's more about the difference the home court can make and I think is plays a bigger role this year. We'll see this week when SMC plays Gonzaga and Portland.

Terrifteacher
02-26-2011, 05:50 AM

Spy............. I would say your comment was spot on! One month later we are in first place with 1 game to go! Adversity brought out this team's character in a BIG way!

Reborn
02-26-2011, 07:44 AM
I still believe that too. The Zags just need to keep the focus and play one game at a time. It's looking like we may have to wait until the Conference Tournament to find out who is the best team. The tournament this year is going to be great, but in the end I believe it will be decided by a great championship game between the Zags and the Gaels.

WE BELIEVE!!!...WE BELIEVE!!!...WE BELIEVE!!!...

ZagMan in Philly
02-26-2011, 07:51 AM
:agreed:

Go ZAGS!!!!