PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to USF

Virginia Zags Fan
01-22-2011, 06:41 PM
They played their best game of the season. They hit some key FT's down the stretch. Got some lucky bounces and came out with the W.

College sports are fun to watch. Would have liked it better if we would have come home with the W, but I will look for the positive in some of the things we worked on tonight.

hooter73
01-22-2011, 06:49 PM
I honestly think we are playing not up to potential and the WCC Refs are (unintentionally) negatively changing the games but am starting to think maybe the Conference is just getting a tad better then what we're used to.

Pargo the Destroyer
01-22-2011, 06:53 PM
EVERY team plays their "best game" against us. Sickening.

Virginia Zags Fan
01-22-2011, 06:57 PM
...... and the refs let us play.

bigblahla
01-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Rex Walters has a good team and tonight they lived up to their potential.

Williams, Doolin, Colario and Blackwell are all serious ballers with mad one on one offensive skills.

The ball control that the Dons ran in overtime although not always successful exhibited Walters ability to mold this group into a TEAM.

We have parity. Yep, it's WCC conference time.

To keep it we have to take down the Gaels in K2.

Go!! Zags!!!

hooter73
01-22-2011, 07:00 PM
when they were taking us one on one tonight I realized we dont have anyone that can really do that offensively for us.

Baldwinzag
01-22-2011, 07:01 PM
I'll extend a much deserved congrats as well...

My favorite shot of the game was the fade-away from the corner, which banked off the top of the backboard & went in the basket w/ less than 1:30 to play...CLUTCH.

I also enjoyed the [four] And-1's USF managed to pull off -- how'd they do that?!?

Good on them.

Baldwinzag
01-22-2011, 07:03 PM
when they were taking us one on one tonight I realized we dont have anyone that can really do that offensively for us.

we got burnt by slow, fast, athletic, unathletic, big, small, USF players all night long...would have liked to see a bit more zone to be honest.

The easy lay-ups by them and the missed ones by us killed our chances.

Why couldn't we stop simple penetration from the top of the key is troubling if you ask me...

Zagnailler
01-22-2011, 07:04 PM
I'll extend a much deserved congrats as well...

My favorite shot of the game was the fade-away from the corner, which banked off the top of the backboard & went in the basket w/ less than 1:30 to play...CLUTCH.

I also enjoyed the [four] And-1's USF managed to pull off -- how'd they do that?!?

Good on them.

Do they wake up the echos in bagdad by the bay?

hooter73
01-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Why couldn't we stop simple penetration from the top of the key is troubling if you ask me...

because a whistle blew every time we got within a foot of their players?

no I agree with you, D is back to start of the season style.

ZaginLaw
01-22-2011, 07:06 PM
The and-1's I see from the Zags this year really, really bug me. If you are going to foul make sure the shot doesn't go in. Every HS coach tells that to every player. I'm tired of seeing bump fouls where the whistle is blown and the Zags are backing away trying to get the ref to not call the foul leaving a wide open shot for an and-1.

Baldwinzag
01-22-2011, 07:09 PM
The and-1's I see from the Zags this year really, really bug me. If you are going to foul make sure the shot doesn't go in. Every HS coach tells that to every player. I'm tired of seeing bump fouls where the whistle is blown and the Zags are backing away trying to get the ref to not call the foul leaving a wide open shot for an and-1.

Good point.

IF we're going to play lackadaisical defense & foul 35+ times per game than at least make 'em count.

Foul them HARD!

For example, Have you seen how opponents foul Rob Sacre down low? They ensure the shot does not go in...

bigblahla
01-22-2011, 07:21 PM
we got burnt by slow, fast, athletic, unathletic, big, small, USF players all night long...would have liked to see a bit more zone to be honest.

The easy lay-ups by them and the missed ones by us killed our chances.

Yep, I think it's zone time too.

Go!! Zags!!!

gamagin
01-22-2011, 07:21 PM
I think we lost it by getting damn near shut out on the offensive boards, and at the charity stripe.

It didn't help when the announcer noted that the worst f.t. shooting team in the WCC shot the lights out while we did not in those last critical minutes and the o.t.

But start to finish it was a barn burner.

And even though I hated losing, it was something to watch USF just go balls to the wall and magically, maddeningly, their shots kept dropping. And the refs too often, imo, went along with too many phantom fouls to give them another shot to boot.

Re the refs, I thought they were not up to the task tonight. I don't know whether the call on RS was right or wrong, but it appeared to me that RS, who has played with alot of discipline all year long, kept his elbows at a level he thought was acceptable for someone trying to avoid being stripped.

The refs needed to explain that call by the book and let the chips fall.

It looked like they made a call and there was still a question as to where RS's elbows were and what was allowable. He either made a mistake or he was within his space and in proper position. Itlooked like the call was based on the flop, not the rule book.

Clearly, he held that position long enough for me to see that he was demonstrating he knew the limit and was holding it there, even after the play. So what is the rule ?

The call and that play was too important to make an arbitrary call, imo. Yet that's what seemed to happen. That's how it looked.

Of course USF then made all their critical f.t.'s and we didn't.

So good or bad calls, we had our chances and did not capitalize like USF did.

NEC26
01-22-2011, 07:27 PM
"I think we lost it by getting damn near shut out on the offensive boards, and at the charity stripe"

Agreed about the charity stripe but we got 18 offensive rebounds so not sure what you wanted there.

gamagin
01-22-2011, 07:33 PM
"I think we lost it by getting damn near shut out on the offensive boards, and at the charity stripe"

Agreed about the charity stripe but we got 18 offensive rebounds so not sure what you wanted there.

then again in o.t. What I saw was alot of boxing out and what appeared to be too many one & dones. I still think it was disproportionate when it mattered, or else I drank too much. I'm open to a correction.

NEC26
01-22-2011, 07:39 PM
I saw a team that was completely unable to score in overtime. 5 points total most from the line. Sacre had a lot of offensive rebounds didn't convert some of em though. Manny and Harris had some as well.

webspinnre
01-22-2011, 11:42 PM
I saw a team that was completely unable to score in overtime. 5 points total most from the line. Sacre had a lot of offensive rebounds didn't convert some of em though. Manny and Harris had some as well.

Plus, there was no offensive rhythm, flow, movement, whatever. Terrible offense tonight for long stretches.

Reborn
01-23-2011, 09:00 AM
The biggest rebound of the game was after we had stopped USF on the long shot (it wasn't even close) by playing some excellent defense, Rob DID NOT secure the defensive board, and Blackwell (their center Rob was guarding) got the offensive board and the rest is history. If Rob had gotten that board the game goes into another OT. USF had more energy than the Zags. Zags appeared tired at the end. I think a team feeds off the energy of the home crowd. Give USF credit, and their fans too.

Geeze when I think about it, USF could be either in first place or tied for first place with St. Mary's at the half-way point of conference play. Wow!!! Who would have thought that. When you think about it, that was a HUGE victory for USF. Once again, I say, I it was a great game. The Zags could have won. Didn't take advantage of the free throws. USF did, and they are the ones who will be tied for first or in first at the end of the half-way point. I bet if you talked to most people who saw the game, and certainly the refs, they would all say that Gonzaga was given several opportunities by the refs to win the game at the free throw line and DID NOT. And especially when it counted.

allnet59
01-23-2011, 09:50 AM
why we never played zone defense blows me away. We couldn't stop a freshman who put up incredible numbers tonight driving to the basket. No lateral movement on defense at all. Blame it on free throws in the end but the start of the second half did us in even if we caught up. Were not the toast of the confernece any longer folks other teams have good inspired players as well and it shows.

ZagNut08
01-24-2011, 10:53 AM
I thought you were going to congratulate them for rushing the court.

Has a team 2nd in conference ever rushed the court for beating the team in 4th place, is unranked, and has a 12-7 record?