PDA

View Full Version : 53 fouls called on Zags...

Baldwinzag
01-22-2011, 06:37 PM
in the last 2 games alone. SCU/USF attempted a total of 55 free-throws against us -- equivalent to 5+ games played in December.

Of course our shotty defense doesn't help the shotty officiating, yet still ugly basketball was played in Northern California.

Honestly, how many "And-1" fouls can USF receive in one game? I watched our big boys get put-back opportunities, rebounds, tough shots, and not one call down low.

No question the WCC officiating needs review & reform, but this isn't the reason we're losing these games.

Gray looks injured, ball movement is non-existent, we've lost our intensity in the post, our defense is too forgiving, and our Coaches are perplexed.

Not a pretty season thus far...

Have a feeling our 11th consecutive WCC Championship was lost tonight. Its not impossible, yet a stretch at this point...as we're currently in 4th place.

Hopefully, the guys can find something, somwhere inside of them to motivate the team going forward.

We'll see how the Zags respond next Thursday. A win vs St Mary's would certainly be a start to reset this conference season & work towards building a decent resume for NCAA consideration(12-14 seed isn't out of question).

GU needs to find itself in the next 5 days; it can be done.

Zagregious
01-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Stockton came to play. Again.

Baldwinzag
01-22-2011, 06:58 PM
crazy to think teams such as Marquette, Illinois, Okie St, Xavier all attempted less than 20 FT's against this Zag defense, yet somehow, someway San Francisco shoots 33 FT's and Santa Clara attempts 32 FT's...wth is that about?

ZaginLaw
01-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Just as when the fouls went the other way vs. WCC opponents in prior years, it's the aggressor who gets the calls. SCU and USF took it to the Zags and got the calls. Zags played a step behind both teams all game long.

bigblahla
01-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Just as when the fouls went the other way vs. WCC opponents in prior years, it's the aggressor who gets the calls. SCU and USF took it to the Zags and got the calls. Zags played a step behind both teams all game long.

Seemed that way to me. Time to gut it out.

Go!! Zags!!!

Nevtelen
01-22-2011, 08:50 PM

To some extent I'll agree, this team would benefit from being the hunter and not the hunted. But the way games are being called simply does not benefit us. I don't think it's a coincidence that we beat UP at home (who doesn't drive much) and lost to USF and SCU on the road who both drew consistently ridiculous fouls to win those games. I bet we beat UP at home, too, and have a harder time with USF and SCU at home (if we have the same refs). It's not a home-court thing, it's a style thing. The refs are flat out rewarding the team that looks like they might be discussing driving and trying to draw bogus fouls in the huddle sometime in the future and penalizing Rob's overpowering post play because he just out-muscles guys (simiarly to JP).

At this point, I really think any hope of a NCAA bid short of us winning the tourney is pretty much dead. The issue for the conference is that no other team with the possibly exception of SMC has a prayer of a chance given the reffing style in the NCAAs. They will get destoryed and have less than half the attempts they've gotten so far in conference. The OOC records aren't a coincidence IMO.