PDA

View Full Version : That ref is a piece of garbage

thespywhozaggedme
01-22-2011, 07:33 PM
I never blame refs, but that guy decided to take the game in his own hands. Mathis did not foul Doolin, and then the ref gives him a 4 step continuation to boot. What a flippin joke!

NEC26
01-22-2011, 07:34 PM
The reffing was pretty one sided all game. That being said game over if we hit our free throws.

YetiHater
01-22-2011, 07:35 PM
just a joke.

U Zig, I Zag
01-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Few has to say something. To the media. Tonight.

Absolute pathetic calls all night long.

We sure as #### better get some home cooking on Thursday or we are done for.

SMC is going to cut us up like a surgeon.

NEC26
The foul call on Gray was completely bogus and then Sacre with the elbow. BLECH :enraged:

FuManShoes
It's easy to blame the officiating tonight. And I will. I don't care that the gracious thing to do is congratulate the Dons and say the Zags lost the game in a bunch of other ways - missed bunnies, missed free throws, lazy defense. The fact is the refs decided this game with a bull#### call that was one of many such calls. Tonight was an officiating disaster and the coaching staff should say so. Few has earned that right.

Blitzing-Zag
01-22-2011, 07:38 PM
I know it was tough watching the game with the all the bad calls, but our guys need to learn to deal with and just ball better. This team is going nowhere fast!

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-22-2011, 07:40 PM
I genuinely haven't seen officiating like that outside of junior high games. I feel like I just watched an episode of the twilight zone.

cscz28
01-22-2011, 07:41 PM
I think the reffing was equally bad for most of the game, but I can't fathom that call on Mathis on the drive, the offensive player elbowed mathis to create more space and yet they call it on the defender with 5 seconds left.

I'm going to embrace the melodrama after this loss and call Few out for not standing up for his players when they are in games like this.

Pargo the Destroyer
01-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Still, make a damn free-throw. Gather a defensive rebound. Better team won tonight.

madness
01-22-2011, 07:42 PM
If Few doesn't get fined, why Pay him...Please link to his post game presser!!!!!!!

DixieZag
Ikeep thinking of Steven's drive in OT, where he went flying by the basket, missed, no call, ball bouncing, bodies flying - - -

Then on the other end, nothing, guy going to SG's left - no contact, none. Then on the last play (after regular period when the announcers talked about not getting bailed out at the end) and their kid gets a whistle upon first approach (and quite possibly travels) and then throws it up and goes in - for . . . .continuation??????

Just ####ing amazing. But hey, when you are banking 3s off of backboards, I guess it is your night to win. We had it won - if they would have called the reach before Rob elbowed the guy, but they let them hack and hack until Rob let the elbows fly.

madness
Still, make a damn free-throw. Gather a defensive rebound. Better team won tonight.

This is very false...I've watched USF multiple times, they are not the better team

btzag
01-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Refs can absolutely impact a game and swing it wildly one way or the other and they really stepped up tonight for the home crowd. I have not been this blown away by officiating since the Seahawks-Steelers Super Bowl, just crap calls all over the floor.

Few needs to blow his top one of these games and get tossed, then to the media absolutely light into the officiating in this league. I'm talking 'huge fine' type of statements so that it makes the national press, because somebody has to improve the level of these officials for the benefit of the league.

On top of it those FSN announcers were serious garbage and must have been the SF area crew. Did not break down ANY of the calls or plays or provide any analysis. They were just practically giddy that the calls were going their way and giggling like two school girls.

Das Zagger
01-22-2011, 07:46 PM
This is very false...I've watched USF multiple times, they are not the better team

They dropped 96 on us tonight. When was the last time a team scored that many on us?

Das Zagger
01-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Refs can absolutely impact a game and swing it wildly one way or the other and they really stepped up tonight for the home crowd. I have not been this blown away by officiating since the Seahawks-Steelers Super Bowl, just crap calls all over the floor.

Few needs to blow his top one of these games and get tossed, then to the media absolutely light into the officiating in this league. I'm talking 'huge fine' type of statements so that it makes the national press, because somebody has to improve the level of these officials for the benefit of the league.

On top of it those FSN announcers were serious garbage and must have been the SF area crew. Did not break down ANY of the calls or plays or provide any analysis. They were just practically giddy that the calls were going their way and giggling like two school girls.

They were from the Bay Area, they do Raider games.

Did you expect high quality production values from FSN?

RenoZag
01-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Last time I checked, the refs don't shoot free throws

As someone wrote in the game thread:

The incredible thing is that despite the reffing the Zags had a chance to win if they hit freethrows and of course the league's leading free throw shooting team chokes.

FuManShoes
01-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Last time I checked, the game wasn't called whistle ball.

EuroZag2010
01-22-2011, 08:08 PM
I dont exactly know the rules about the free throws but when that kid grabbed it he was out of bounds, altho the ball didnt hit the rim I thought it shouldve been our ball...

Das Zagger
01-22-2011, 08:09 PM
I dont exactly know the rules about the free throws but when that kid grabbed it he was out of bounds, altho the ball didnt hit the rim I thought it shouldve been our ball...

Uh, what?

EuroZag2010
01-22-2011, 08:11 PM
When steven purposefully missed the second free throw at the end of the game the kid that grabbed the ball, his foot was out of bounds...

NovaZag
01-22-2011, 08:13 PM
It looked as if the refs were storming the court with the students after the game. It's a new rule.

Das Zagger
01-22-2011, 08:15 PM
When steven purposefully missed the second free throw at the end of the game the kid that grabbed the ball, his foot was out of bounds...

Ball didn't hit the rim hence the lane violation call, USF ball out of bounds, that's the rule.

EuroZag2010
01-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Oh ok... That's kinda stupid ... He was out of bounds with the ball!!

DixieZag
01-22-2011, 08:19 PM
How about this? Rob was getting mugged when he got that rebound. At the time, USF was down, there were 24 seconds left. They had to foul, refs don't call the foul on the 2 guys mugging Rob, THEN Rob makes boneheaded POY by elbowing his way out. No doubt about the elbow to the jaw, it is automatic - - but there were 2 seconds of guys fighting him prior to that when USF HAD TO FOUL and they were not called.

The two on SG/Mathis were "game on the line" touch fouls - disgusting, especially when it was a free for all on the other end.

And yet, our guys battled. I feel bad for Manny (he got us an extra 2 possessions with RBs off of FTs) and he couldn't will those in. We got a taste of what this team is capable of when the PG can score in the first half.

We needed to be up 10 to endure what was coming. And we should have been, all the missed lay-ups, of course we were never given a lot of replays of those, who knows what was going on down there.

madness
01-22-2011, 08:22 PM
How about this? Rob was getting mugged when he got that rebound. At the time, USF was down, there were 24 seconds left. They had to foul, refs don't call the foul on the 2 guys mugging Rob, THEN Rob makes boneheaded POY by elbowing his way out. No doubt about the elbow to the jaw, it is automatic - - but there were 2 seconds of guys fighting him prior to that when USF HAD TO FOUL and they were not called.

The two on SG/Mathis were "game on the line" touch fouls - disgusting, especially when it was a free for all on the other end.

And yet, our guys battled. I feel bad for Manny (he got us an extra 2 possessions with RBs off of FTs) and he couldn't will those in. We got a taste of what this team is capable of when the PG can score in the first half.

We needed to be up 10 to endure what was coming. And we should have been, all the missed lay-ups, of course we were never given a lot of replays of those, who knows what was going on down there.

Couldn't have said it better!

Anyone hear Few's postgame??? Anyone??? Bueller?

gamagin
01-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Last time I checked, the refs don't shoot free throws
As someone wrote in the game thread:

the announcer said more than once that USF was the worst f.t. shooting team in the WCC. But not this game.

Nevtelen
01-22-2011, 08:40 PM

Exactly. When the new rule was introduced this season, the one thing that was pretty much universal was that IF you're going to have this rule, then you have to give the guy who actually gets the rebound leeway vs anyone who tries to reach and grab the ball away from him. Otherwise, this is what the f**k happens - a player is the superior player, gets the rebound, and is punished for it. Any time the Zags attempted to play D, the were called all night long, so they stopped playing D in order to for there to be 5 Zags to still be around by the end of the game. USF never got called, even when they were hanging off Rob's arms (almost literally at times). The officiating went sideways after those technicals called on the USF bench. The refs clearly felt they had to make up for them and not call anything on USF the rest of the f-ing game. What a croc.

Now, should we have made FTs? Yeah. Could we say that Manny lost this one for us at the line? Sure. But the fact that he had to came down to the fact that the striped shirts were utter garbage tonight. And I usually like Sam Hadad - he's generally a very good ref. The other 2, who I don't remember hearing about, were the problem. If this is what the new WCC reffing cadre is like under our new head of officials, someone ought to fire his a$$ tonight if not sooner.

RenoZag
01-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Dave Libbey is shaping the WCC refs into his own image and likeness. . .used to be one really futile ref to contend with. Now it appears there will be many

DixieZag
01-22-2011, 09:04 PM
As the Rob scenario played out, as soon as I saw him firmly have the ball, I thought; "good, now they have to foul and he is our best FT shooter" then I looked at the clock, there was 26 seconds - and then they just kept going and going and going, the whistle blew with 24 seconds. Therefore, I saw at least 2 seconds of hacking - - something the announcers did NOT mention in their "breakdown" of what happened, it was all about the elbow, not about what was going on before.

Nor was there any breakdown of the missed bunnies underneath. I really got peeved when after the announcers talked about "no whistles at the end of a game unless it really impedes the look" - - Walters figured out that they could not score (shot off the backboard?) so he intentionally ran it down to avoid the turnover, betting that they would get bailed out by the refs, and the call on SG was just as gross as the call against Mathis.

For all of you saying "quit whining" - - I say, I saw our kids working their asses off, knowing their season was on the line, and it pisses me off when they have to play uphill. I guess the lesson is you have to beat the home team by 10.

jayray
01-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Exactly. When the new rule was introduced this season, the one thing that was pretty much universal was that IF you're going to have this rule, then you have to give the guy who actually gets the rebound leeway vs anyone who tries to reach and grab the ball away from him. Otherwise, this is what the f**k happens - a player is the superior player, gets the rebound, and is punished for it. Any time the Zags attempted to play D, the were called all night long, so they stopped playing D in order to for there to be 5 Zags to still be around by the end of the game. USF never got called, even when they were hanging off Rob's arms (almost literally at times). The officiating went sideways after those technicals called on the USF bench. The refs clearly felt they had to make up for them and not call anything on USF the rest of the f-ing game. What a croc.

Now, should we have made FTs? Yeah. Could we say that Manny lost this one for us at the line? Sure. But the fact that he had to came down to the fact that the striped shirts were utter garbage tonight. And I usually like Sam Hadad - he's generally a very good ref. The other 2, who I don't remember hearing about, were the problem. If this is what the new WCC reffing cadre is like under our new head of officials, someone ought to fire his a$$ tonight if not sooner.

Give me a break, GU got how many extra shots on the bogus technicals? The rules are the rules, elbows to the face are an automatic. The refs had no choice. All GU had to do was take advantage of the numerous opportunities they were given to win. It was their game for the taking.

zagray
01-22-2011, 09:36 PM
St. Mary's will shoot over 30 ff at our house, Zags will be lucky to shoot a dozen! Homered in our own house! Or is it Libbey'ed, count it!

Nevtelen
01-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Give me a break, GU got how many extra shots on the bogus technicals? The rules are the rules, elbows to the face are an automatic. The refs had no choice. All GU had to do was take advantage of the numerous opportunities they were given to win. It was their game for the taking.

Yes, we got 4 FTs on fairly bogus techs, I will give you that. I have no idea what caused those techs, but they seemed pretty crap to me; I'll give you that. But 4 pts does not an entire half of D make. Anytime the Zags attemped to defend the drive, whoever it tried it was called for a foul. It didn't matter who had gotten there first if it was charge, whether or not the player had his hands out and was simply in front of they guy he was guarding, or if he went straight up in the air, as long as the USF player was driving, it didn't matter much. A bunch of those were 'make-up' calls. A whole half of D is worth a LOT more than 4 pts.

DixieZag
01-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Watch OT again. That was their offense. Who else holds the ball until 8 seconds in a TIED game???? They knew they could not score off a jumper and they knew they were going to the line. Period.

kingzag
01-22-2011, 10:14 PM

Exactly right. Hard to play D when everything is whistled. You eventually get tenative and stop being aggressive on D.When they drove to the hoop it was either going to be a basket or a foul or both.

webspinnre
01-23-2011, 12:40 AM
The second T sounded legit - if a coach doesn't stop yelling at you after you warn him, he gets a T, and that's what was described. The first T was pretty bizarre though - no idea wha thappend there.

Santangelo_for_3
01-23-2011, 01:42 AM
I love college basketball but lately it seems officiating has gotten worse. I think it's better in other conferences for sure but still it's been bad. They don't make a call when a guy gets murdered then later they call a touch foul when they don't get touched. The refs reward the offensive player way too much as well. He's allowed to initiate all the contact like tonight when Gray was right on Williams hip and the kid just jumped into Gray and of course its an and 1. You could just see the look on Gray's face just saying what am I suppose to do (that wasn't the only time you could see that this game). And that whole rule about being straight up... I've seen quite a few calls this year when the defender was about as straight up as a human being can be and he was still whistled for the call. And that stupid rule about the half circle under the hoop, please just paint it in so its not left up to the judgement of the officials. I like to see the games when the ref's really let them play and so does everyone else.

Steve Young said it best this year about the NFL after a game... "I feel sorry for defenses this year they have it tough." Pretty much applies to college basketball.

willandi
01-23-2011, 09:28 AM

I agree!!, and then refuse to pay the fine until the Refs are disciplined too!
It will never happen, but I would like to see a coach ask the Refs if they are going to allow his team to be mugged and manhandled all night, listen to the response "We calls 'em like we sees 'em", and then pull his team off the floor citing imminent danger. Go to the locker room and forfeit. The national folks would come screaming to follow the story, and the Refs would be held up to a light they have never seen. They also may be a little more cautious about their calls the next time they reffed your game, or it might backfire and they would call any and everything.
Have also wondered why, in professional sports, an area judge didn't issue a bench warrant for some of the officials. Next time they came to town, they would be jailed, and a risk to flight. "Taking money under false pretenses". Not affiliated with the local team in any way.
That too will never happen, but a couple of my twisted minds sports fantasy's.

Air Force Zag
01-23-2011, 11:07 AM
No, Coach Few shouldn't blow his top -- he has to work with these refs for remainder of the season. Refs do talk to each other and they do compare notes. In fact, I was nervous about the amount of jawing between Steven and the refs too -- very little good can come from it. Let your play do your talking. And yes, the officiating could get worse...so why call that sort of fire down on yourself?

gamagin
01-23-2011, 11:17 AM
However, it won't change a damned thing.

They did not cause this loss. They prolonged the game for USF & USF capitalized on that break. Meech shot the trey to tie it up at the end of regulation. THEN, USF capitalized on their f.t.'s and their game and we did not.

The takeaway is not the reffing. It is how we need to shore up the things we can control.

Reffing is not one of the things we can control. It is not even an option. Only, at times, a huge irritant.

madness
01-23-2011, 11:35 AM
However, it won't change a damned thing.

They did not cause this loss. They prolonged the game for USF & USF capitalized on that break. Meech shot the trey to tie it up at the end of regulation. THEN, USF capitalized on their f.t.'s and their game and we did not.

The takeaway is not the reffing. It is how we need to shore up the things we can control.

Reffing is not one of the things we can control. It is not even an option. Only, at times, a huge irritant.

Yet something that we can control (Defensive Intensity) was controlled by the refs in the past two games. Who controls who then? Are we stuck in the matrix?

I was guilty of praising the refs in the first half. I thought they allowed a free flow of the game. Everything changed in the second half after the Technicals obviously. Yes, Gonzaga needs to put these teams away in the first half so they can weather bad reffing, but the change in the second half was distinct. I'm not sure what can happen if the trend continues.

gamagin
01-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Yet something that we can control (Defensive Intensity) was controlled by the refs in the past two games. Who controls who then? Are we stuck in the matrix?

I was guilty of praising the refs in the first half. I thought they allowed a free flow of the game. Everything changed in the second half after the Technicals obviously. Yes, Gonzaga needs to put these teams away in the first half so they can weather bad reffing, but the change in the second half was distinct. I'm not sure what can happen if the trend continues.

the hand they are dealt. Every situation is either a crisis or an opportunity. We have to make it an opportunity. To do otherwise is a total waste of energy, concentration and efficiency. It is the only option we control.

willandi
01-23-2011, 12:18 PM
No, Coach Few shouldn't blow his top -- he has to work with these refs for remainder of the season. Refs do talk to each other and they do compare notes. In fact, I was nervous about the amount of jawing between Steven and the refs too -- very little good can come from it. Let your play do your talking. And yes, the officiating could get worse...so why call that sort of fire down on yourself?

Because not doing it isn't working. Hold the reffing up to the light and challenge them to do it right or quit. Force the WCC to institute a review of the games and come down on the refs that make phantom calls.
It could backfire, but the status quo isn't working. Fix the problem, but first it has to be acknowledged as a problem. That's why you get tossed. You also have to give props to the refs when they are due, let them see you aren't just anti-official, but against incompetant officials.

UberZagFan
01-23-2011, 01:11 PM
While it would be nice to hear, Few will never rip the reffing in a press conference. Just don't see it happening.

rijman
01-23-2011, 02:26 PM
That call on Hoff near the end of regulation was frustrating. I hate those calls where the ref thinks a player may have been fouled but doesn't know for sure and calls it anyway. After seeing the replay the ref would know he blew the call.

To be fair, I wasn't happy with the t's against the USF bench in a close game. Let the kids play the game and settle the outcome.

Despite the refs calling 50 fouls and both teams shooting 59 ft's combined I look at the ft's in the 2nd half and OT combined where the Zags made just 7 of 19 37% and USF made 19 of 24 79%. If the Zags shoot ft's at their season avg in the 2nd half they win the game in regulation.

bballbeachbum
01-23-2011, 02:42 PM
...the status quo isn't working. Fix the problem, but first it has to be acknowledged as a problem.

agree. how can something be addressed if it isn't even acknowledged as existing?

and yet through it all, GU was in a position to win, both with RS's rebound and with FT attempts. good fight to overcome it all and still be in a position to win.