PDA

View Full Version : Nit

kyle dixon
01-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Would we be considered to host?

btzag
01-22-2011, 05:53 PM
It's kind of funny to me... you can be a Big East team and lose 4 out of 5 games and STILL be in the top 25 OR you can be the zags and roll off 9 wins in a row then lose your first conference road game and all of a sudden we are NIT bound. I understand fans are a up and down bunch but do a little research on other teams around the country.

cbbfanatic
01-22-2011, 06:30 PM
It's kind of funny to me... you can be a Big East team and lose 4 out of 5 games and STILL be in the top 25 OR you can be the zags and roll off 9 wins in a row then lose your first conference road game and all of a sudden we are NIT bound. I understand fans are a up and down bunch but do a little research on other teams around the country.

give me a break. in the big east, almost every game is a big game against a quality opponent. so when you win games, they are GOOD wins, which affords you some wiggle room to drop a few to good teams as well.

apples and oranges.

Virginia Zags Fan
01-22-2011, 06:34 PM
I think this is a little premature. Why don't we see how the rest of the season shakes out before we say we are or are not going to make the tourney.

Win the WCC tourney and we are in. Simple as that. We still control our own destiny.

kyle dixon
01-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Without winning the WCC tourney this team is not dancing without winning in Vegas. Yes, BT. I have watched the Big East. Comparing the Big East to the WCC is well; just a little different. Congrats Dons. Enjoy your win...

btzag
01-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Really. 4 out of 5? That's OK? Give ME a break, you send like a Big East honk.

The reality is, and the point I was making, it that there are about 10-15 really good teams across the country and the rest are flawed. GU is definitely amongst the flawed group but people on this board make it out like others are just whipping through their conferences and never playing a bad game.

Kentucky lost at Bama, Texas won at KU, Syracuse has dropped two in a row, the mighty Gaels lost at Vandy, Mich St has been sketchy, and the national champ contenders Hoya's lost 4 out of 5 big East games in a row. Examples all across the country...

Noooow, losing two in a row in WCC play might just equal NIT.

kyle dixon
01-22-2011, 06:49 PM
USF has 9 or more losses. SCU likewise. Big East= 18 teams that include more than five in the top 25. So two bad games? What about the other five losses we have: SDSU, WSU, Notre Dame, K-State, and Illinois? The Zags now have 7 losses....

NovaZag
01-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Depends on how we are seeded in the NIT.

btzag
01-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Well if we had lost to SCU and then won out we would have been 28 - 6 which does not equal an NIT bid. That is where your pessimistic Zag fan just does not do their research on other teams in the country and what THOSE teams have done to deserve an NCAA bid. Just because you are in the Big East does not guarantee you a bid.

Now our best shot is 27 - 7 and yes it is getting more sketchy especially with tough WCC games at St. Mary's and UP. This team cannot slip up anymore and I would say it's 50-50 right now. However the WCC tourney is on a neutral court so we always have a shot there even with these $%@^tty WCC officials.

jazzdelmar
01-22-2011, 06:57 PM
18-12

cbbfanatic
01-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Really. 4 out of 5? That's OK? Give ME a break, you send like a Big East honk.

Syracuse has dropped two in a row, and the national champ contenders Hoya's lost 4 out of 5 big East games in a row.

Noooow, losing two in a row in WCC play might just equal NIT.

big east honk? just because i say its different to lose a couple games in a row in the BE vs the WCC??? give me a break, im calling it like it is.

and syracuse went to Pitt, and hosted Villanova this week... that two LEGIT top ten teams. not preseason top ten, legit top ten. the vast majority of teams in the country drop both, and while im sure cuse would have loved a split, its a hell of a lot different than losing at santa clara and san francisco, two pathetic programs - that probably does equal an NIT caliber team.

that you're even trying to pose this argument makes you as big a wcc honk as i can imagine.

it probably doesnt matter as i think gu still wins the conf tourney.

kyle dixon
01-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Back to the lab again to do research as a pessimistic fan. Win the WCC tourney Zags!

EuroZag2010
01-22-2011, 07:22 PM
We lost 2 WCC games last year before championship in Vegas.... Still went dancing

Nevtelen
01-22-2011, 07:49 PM
give me a break. in the big east, almost every game is a big game against a quality opponent. so when you win games, they are GOOD wins, which affords you some wiggle room to drop a few to good teams as well.

apples and oranges.

Honestly, the Big East is a huge con game. Almost every game in the Big XII is against a quality opponent. In the Big X everything is against a quality opponent. The ACC (most seasons, if not this year) the same. The Big East has some very quality schools, sure, and often a good % of the Top 25, but that just because they have about a million teams in the conference. The bottom half or so in the Big East are complete crap most of the time by 'Big 6' standards. If they played home games against other BCS squads or mid-majors (which most don't), they'd lose the vast majority of the time (see SMC vs St John's). The fact that they get tons of guarantee games vs mediocre teams at home (and subsequently win) is the only thing that keeps the Big East at a decent RPI. It's the biggest con game in the college bb. Almost any other 'Big 6' conference is better top to bottom, but the Big East gets the press because 30-40% of their teams are very good.

NEC26
01-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Honestly, the Big East is a huge con game. Almost every game in the Big XII is against a quality opponent. In the Big X everything is against a quality opponent. The ACC (most seasons, if not this year) the same. The Big East has some very quality schools, sure, and often a good % of the Top 25, but that just because they have about a million teams in the conference. The bottom half or so in the Big East are complete crap most of the time by 'Big 6' standards. If they played home games against other BCS squads or mid-majors (which most don't), they'd lose the vast majority of the time (see SMC vs St John's). The fact that they get tons of guarantee games vs mediocre teams at home (and subsequently win) is the only thing that keeps the Big East at a decent RPI. It's the biggest con game in the college bb. Almost any other 'Big 6' conference is better top to bottom, but the Big East gets the press because 30-40% of their teams are very good.

Not to mention teams like Louisville and Syracuse racking up the home wins against bad teams(I don't think either left their home arena except when forced by legislature to play the other teams from their state).
Lousville got some great home cooking and fortunate wins earlier this year at home and they are not that good( in reference to their ranking I mean).