PDA

View Full Version : Few is a strange dood!

ronh_pm
01-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Meech starts the game 5-5 and 13 points in 10 minutes...and he gets sat.

Meanwhile the Zags look like they are on thier way to giving up 80 again

WTF.

NEC26
01-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Meech picked up his second foul or I'm sure he would not have come out.

ronh_pm
01-22-2011, 05:58 PM
hmm..missed it...and so did espn.

Demetri Goodson, G 5-8 1-2 6-6 1 17

anyways...I have given up on trying to figure out the rotation..random comes to mind.

At any rate looks like there is no interest in defense in this game so it hardly matters.

Vanzagger
01-22-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm all for a proactive substitution approach. Keep them fresh and not looking over their shoulder.

vz

Bulldog
01-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Meech is fighting for his spot, wish the rest of them were so motivated.

jazzdelmar
01-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Seems the Meech fire is out

zag944
01-22-2011, 06:47 PM
I dont pretend to know much about how to manage a game. But we have 11 guys averaging 10+ minutes. I doubt there are many other teams out there playing that deep. 8-9 guys seems like quality depth, but 10-11 seems like things being way overcomplicated.

Perhaps Mark Few is reading this board and got annoyed with the "Player X deserves more playing time!!!!" threads.

Zagregious
01-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Few needs to pull his head out. Period. It's stuck way up there. What a mismanaged mess of a game and a program this year.

ronh_pm
01-22-2011, 07:10 PM
I dont pretend to know much about how to manage a game. But we have 11 guys averaging 10+ minutes. I doubt there are many other teams out there playing that deep. 8-9 guys seems like quality depth, but 10-11 seems like things being way overcomplicated.

Perhaps Mark Few is reading this board and got annoyed with the "Player X deserves more playing time!!!!" threads.

At some point you have to tighten it up..and close games is where you do it. Gonzaga cannot win games giving up 80 points. Just is not going to happen..doesnt matter if its agaist Ohio State or San Diego..it's just bad basketball.

Bulldog
01-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Ref's will always be bad to the Zags, some players will step up and some won't, but a coach who has been around for 20 years should know how to handle adversity.

Zagregious
01-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Ref's will always be bad to the Zags, some players will step up and some won't, but a coach who has been around for 20 years should know how to handle adversity.

Amen.

MDABE80
01-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Whena horse is hot, you ride that horse till he drops....fould or not. Few's having his worst year as a coach. All kinds of talent on this team. Few doesn't seem to be able to coach this group. Not sure why but he makes it look hard to figure his own team out.
Good guy and all but Jeeeeeeeez.. PLUS he has a schizophrenic team..doesn't help. Hey this whole thing is a mess. Whole team's doing a "Zake".

Zagregious
01-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Few's style creates the schizophrenia in my opinion.

jazzdelmar
01-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Whena horse is hot, you ride that horse till he drops....fould or not. Few's having his worst year as a coach. All kinds of talent on this team. Few doesn't seem to be able to coach this group. Not sure why but he makes it look hard to figure his own team out.
Good guy and all but Jeeeeeeeez.. PLUS he has a schizophrenic team..doesn't help. Hey this whole thing is a mess. Whole team's doing a "Zake".

doc-cdnt agree more. team is very inconsistent and lethargic...still, few hasnt gotten anything close to their best out of them....just a bad year all round...maybe our newbies will be as good as cody...killer kid...few had similar probs w the morrison and josh/daye/pargo groups.....seems to lose focus.....he looks a lot better w a take charge pt guard, then so does coach k....challenge is to get one....other WCCs doing better job of that (save grier, who is hopeless)

ZagAddict
01-22-2011, 07:53 PM
This Zag edition is a bunch of individuals... it's obvious there is no TEAM out there playing together and understanding each other's game. The lack of leadership is absolutely obvious as well... there is no definitive leader on the court at any time.

I don't have any confidence in our coaching staff any longer with this group of individuals either. There is no consistent game plan with the talent on this roster. So much talent... just no clue how to use it. Don't know what has happened from a coaching standpoint... this program used to be able to put a blend of players together each year and excel with new key contributors.

The coaching staff should consider the rest of the conference play as preparation for the conference tournament, because all the importance has been placed on that tournament to meet the goal of advancing to the NCAA tournament... not going to happpen from an at-large standpoint.

NEC26
01-22-2011, 07:58 PM
This Zag edition is a bunch of individuals... it's obvious there is no TEAM out there playing together and understanding each other's game. The lack of leadership is absolutely obvious as well... there is no definitive leader on the court at any time.

I don't have any confidence in our coaching staff any longer with this group of individuals either. There is no consistent game plan with the talent on this roster. So much talent... just no clue how to use it. Don't know what has happened from a coaching standpoint... this program used to be able to put a blend of players together each year and excel with new key contributors.

The coaching staff should consider the rest of the conference play as preparation for the conference tournament, because all the importance has been placed on that tournament to meet the goal of advancing to the NCAA tournament... not going to happpen from an at-large standpoint.

That is why I think Stockton is good for this team. When he comes on the floor suddenly there is cohesion on the team. We start making plays and not just on offense either. Meech played great in the first half then we start out terribly in the second but as soon as Stock comes in we go on a run. Folks its not a coincidence!!!

BoltZag
01-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Let's just hope this the season that finally makes Few jump ship.

This is unreal.

NEC26
01-22-2011, 08:00 PM

This is unreal.

Seriously? Few is a great coach. Every team has down years, EVERY team. UNC last year and this year is one example.

MJ777
01-22-2011, 08:13 PM

This is unreal.

Yeah, then the Zags can hire Norv Turner.

BoltZag
01-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Well, different strokes for different folks partner. We are so much better than SCU and USF, yet we tank.

Agree to disagree I guess. I just really enjoy seeing our name on top of the WCC conf title list for 10 years running and 12 consecutive tourneys. With all this talent it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask for 11 and 13.

zagdad
01-22-2011, 08:15 PM
I think Few is a great coach. He has had many years of success at Gonzaga. This team has some young players. Also, some of our more experienced players are not playing well in some of the games that we have lost. It looks like this is the year we have to win the WCC tournament to get an NCAA bid. Sure, Few maybe could have made a better decision here or there, but he can't be out on the court shooting missed foul shots for the guys or protecting the ball for them so they don't turn it over. Few and the other coaches have to make sure they prepare for the other teams each week as well as keep the team's confidence up. It's not an easy job, but Few has done well in the past years.

NEC26
01-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Well, different strokes for different folks partner. We are so much better than SCU and USF, yet we tank.

Agree to disagree I guess. I just really enjoy seeing our name on top of the WCC conf title list for 10 years running and 12 consecutive tourneys. With all this talent it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask for 11 and 13.

Who was the coach that led us to the titles though?

Das Zagger
01-22-2011, 08:19 PM

This is unreal.

I doubt the Oregon job comes open this year.

NEC26
01-22-2011, 08:20 PM
I thought Fews substitution to get Meech in for defense and Stock in for offense was pretty good. And even though he missed those freethrows Manny had some big rebounds. Keita just wasn't effective tonight so in my opinion he made the right moves. Just have to hit those free throws.

webspinnre
01-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Look I agree, Few didn't have his best game coaching. This idea that we should all of a sudden fire or hopes he goes away is bizarre though. Where do you propose to find a better coach who's going to come to GU?

Pargo the Destroyer
01-22-2011, 08:25 PM

This is unreal.

Post of the year folks, give him a hand.

( sarcasm, what a most undoubtedly asinine thing to say )

maynard g krebs
01-22-2011, 08:29 PM

This is unreal.

I'm always amazed when I see comments like this. Totally oblivious to the fact that Gonzaga is a WCC school, and at an inherent disadvantage against the power conference schools it is now competing with.

Few is the guy who made this program, far more than anyone else. Sure there's a slim chance the next guy is another Brad Stevens, but it's a 90% likelihood the program goes downhill if Few leaves.

ronh_pm
01-22-2011, 08:30 PM

This is unreal.

I don't think jumping ship is the answer. It is figuring out how to get this ship to sail and trusting a captain and a crew that know thier roles on the ship.

There is too much inconsitency from one group of players to the next to get any flow going. Change a small part as the game goes on but when you are swapping in and out 2-3 players every 2-3 mins soon know one know just what they are supposed to be doing.

And for heavens sake, when you get a crew member taking the sailing of the ship on his shoulders and is being successful doing so, give him some slack to continue to do so.

Meech came out of the game 5-6 and thirteen points with about 10:00 to go in the first. He had seven the rest of the game and three of those were the second phoniest three of the game. He finished with two fouls fwiw.

BoltZag
01-22-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm honored. Thank you.