PDA

View Full Version : Live and Die with Steven.......

TacomaZAG
01-22-2011, 07:05 AM
The way this season has gone, it has become abundantly clear to me that this team lives and dies with the play of Steven Gray. When he plays well we win (or have a good chance to win), and when he doesn't, we lose.

He is our only perimeter threat, in that he can score as either a spot up 3-point shooter or create his own shot on the perimeter or in the lane. He and Rob are our best FT shooters and only consistent scorers. Steven's play (and offensive responsibilities) have really been affected by Elias' invisibility on a number of nights.

He is our best "on ball" defender, and draws the best offensive player from the opposition every night. When he gets in foul trouble, the ZAGS are in trouble.

He is the leader of the team. When he is on the floor, there is some semblance of offensive flow and defensive cohesion. When he sits, either for a short rest or foul trouble, it's chaos on both ends. He is not a PG but this year the offense must run through him to be successful.

It's a he!! of a load for one guy to carry, to be all these things to the team. For the ZAGS to win, Steven must be on the floor for at least 36 minutes a night against good competition, I just hope he doesn't wear down.

Lots of talk about missing Matty B this year, due to his floor leadership and offensive output. Steven is being called upon to be everything Matty was last year, plus to be our best defender. BIG LOAD.........and even bigger load in that he is not a PG.

We have lots of players with particluar skills, but Steven (with Rob coming on strong) is our only complete basketball player this year. If he gets hurt, or wears down, we're toast. There is no one on the roster this year to fill his shoes if/when he has an off night. For the Zags to be successful, Steven needs to have play really well every game, for pretty much the entire game.

That's a big (HUGE really) responsibility, and for most of the year he's been up to it. My hat's off to the young man..........

Go ZAGS

zagfaninmt
01-22-2011, 07:18 AM
Steve is the catalyst of this team and Sacre is the Center of Gravity. Good post, TacomaZag--worth saying twice.

ID ZAGFAN
01-22-2011, 08:01 AM
But not just any pic!

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/GU-HAIR/SteveninRJ.jpg

:D

ZaGranny

BroncoZAG615
01-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Not saying Steven isn't important (obviously he is) but saying we live and die with his play seems to be ignoring Gonzaga's wins over Baylor and Xavier of which Steven played 15 combined minutes with back spasms.

TacomaZAG
01-22-2011, 08:33 AM
And the team really "stepped up" for those games. However, I question whether or not that kind of play could be replicated over a long season, as opposed to a game or two with the key player out. Also, the opposition wasn't sure whether or not Steven was going to play, and how much, so they couldn't scheme his absence.

Without Steven, we are a really easy team to defend, as we are a team that has no perimeter threat, and no discernable offensive flow.

Go ZAGS

MDABE80
01-22-2011, 08:47 AM
"He is our best "on ball" defender, and draws the best offensive player from the opposition every night." <---no offense but he gave this up about 16 games ago. Not sure who is but Steven's not playing defense anymore. Not sure who is. He's got the goods but I simply haven't seen his excellent defensive play this year.

ZaginLaw
01-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Bronco - you post actually illustrates how the team does live and die with Gray when he is in the game. I like a Grayless team better because they lean on him too much. If they continue to do so when he's not hot, they lose. Case in point the last 3 mins at SCU.

BroncoZAG615
01-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Bronco - you post actually illustrates how the team does live and die with Gray when he is in the game. I like a Grayless team better because they lean on him too much. If they continue to do so when he's not hot, they lose. Case in point the last 3 mins at SCU.

I don't get this notion at all. If we lived and died with Gray's offensive efficiency, these boards would be a ghost town. Steven's shooting a career low % from the floor but I think he's had his best season. The only time the Zags die with Steven is when he turns the ball over. 6 against SDSU, KSU, WSU, and most recently Santa Clara. Sure, he's become more of a volume shooter which has inversely affected his FG % but I don't get this idea that Steven being "hot" is the end all be all for this team.

He's assisting more but because the ball is in his hands more, his below average ball handling is being exposed (also debunking the popular theory that Steven should run point).

I don't want to get into a discussion about who's more valuable because this team needs Steven to take care of the ball and Rob to score efficiently every game or losses will pile up. Elias is the X-factor in the equation but when Rob can't score and Steven airmails passes, it becomes painfully obvious that the talent pool is very shallow.

JPtheBeasta
01-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Gray had an off night and too many negative plays down the stretch. To say that the team would be better off without its top 1/2 player seems silly to me, however. An occasional bad game does not mean he is a cancer to the team. Matty B is diefied now that he is gone, be he layed some eggs in his run, too. It had been pointed out by another poster that the Broncos aren't good, and they don't have a good coach, but they always play the Zags tough. I think this was the first WCC road test for the Zags. The "the Zags always get the opposing team's best shot in conference" mantra has been repeated over and over. You could see trouble brewing way before the game started, and I was very nervous about this game. The loss is disappointing, but it doesn't mean the wheels are falling off or that Gray should be benched.

EngineerZag
01-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Honestly I think Harris has a bigger impact. When he plays well, bringing energy in scoring, rebounding, and defending, we nearly always win. When he gets in foul trouble and doesn't contribute much, like Thursday night, we lose.

zags422
01-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Coaching

gamagin
01-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Not saying Steven isn't important (obviously he is) but saying we live and die with his play seems to be ignoring Gonzaga's wins over Baylor and Xavier of which Steven played 15 combined minutes with back spasms.

we live and die when we decide to live instead of die. as a team.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-22-2011, 12:44 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Here's two stat lines. One from Matt Bouldin's senior year, and the other is Steven's thus far in his senior season. Guess which is which.

(a) 15.6 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 4.0 APG, 45% FG, 37% 3FG

(b) 14.9 PPG, 3.2 RPG, 4.4 APG, 48% FG, 42% 3FG

My point: Why did Matt receive such overwhelming praise while Steven constantly gets metaphoric rocks thrown at him? Doesn't make sense.

gamagin
01-22-2011, 01:01 PM

Here's two stat lines. One from Matt Bouldin's senior year, and the other is Steven's thus far in his senior season. Guess which is which.

My point: Why did Matt receive such overwhelming praise while Steven constantly gets metaphoric rocks thrown at him? Doesn't make sense.

excellent point.

I think the difference between them is as close as the stats. I think both also had games when they tried to force things to happen in an effort to rally the troops. MB had his games when he seemed elsewhere, too.

I think Steven has an advantage with the depth. I'm going to guess Steven is b.

U Zig, I Zag
01-22-2011, 01:43 PM

Stats are good, but sometimes you just have to see with your own eyes and make a judgment call. In my opinion, Matt played all around better basketball and was more important to the team. We can see that with him gone this year. Matt does things that help the team as a whole be better. Steven does too, but Matt did it better. No comparison between the two players in my mind and to some extent Steven has just not been up for the challenge.

The closest thing to Matt's affect we have this year is, ironically, Stockton - the smallest, slowest kid we got.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-22-2011, 03:35 PM

Matt is A and Steven is B.

WallaWallaZag
01-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Stats are good, but sometimes you just have to see with your own eyes and make a judgment call. In my opinion, Matt played all around better basketball and was more important to the team. We can see that with him gone this year. Matt does things that help the team as a whole be better. Steven does too, but Matt did it better. No comparison between the two players in my mind and to some extent Steven has just not been up for the challenge.

The closest thing to Matt's affect we have this year is, ironically, Stockton - the smallest, slowest kid we got.

what you're overlooking is matt had steven to help him out last year...no one has stepped up to help steven with the perimeter scoring / playmaking responsibilities...all our younger players are currently incomplete players...last year we had two complete players who were solid all-around in just about every area.