PDA

View Full Version : Jim Meehan's Day-After Santa Clara Post

ZagNative
01-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Jim's post in the Spokesman-Review. (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2011/jan/21/day-after-santa-clara/)
—Maybe more so than any Gonzaga game I’ve covered, this game had absolutely no flow offensively, no rhythm for either team, thanks to whistle after whistle (49 combined fouls) and turnovers (34 combined). Not sure I’ve seen a first half like last night’s. After SCU led 7-0 at the outset, the Broncos’ biggest lead over the last 16 minutes was five points and it was tied twice. The biggest spurt by either team was just four points.

“That’s kind of how they play and we knew that coming in,” Few said of SCU’s aggressiveness. “That’s how a lot of our games down here have been. They were able to step up and make plays despite that. They consistently scored on their offensive end.”

adoptedzag
01-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Pretty spot on.

rijman
01-21-2011, 02:40 PM
There was some offensive flow to the game, unfortunately it was SCU in the final minutes.

I wondered how the 83 combined fouls and TO's compared to the Zags other 3 conference games and this is what I found:

64 vs. LMU (pf 42)
56 vs. Pepp (pf 28)
61 vs. Port (pf 32)

83 pf's and to's combined may end up being the high water mark for conference play this season.

JohnOGU
01-21-2011, 02:45 PM
The WCC has to do something about these refs...Last night was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. Contact is going to happen in basketball. Learn about it.

bballbeachbum
01-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Pretty spot on.

agree. since hanging out on this board and being intro'd to his work, Jim Meehan has become a favorite

madness
01-21-2011, 08:58 PM
I was there, and I can honestly say it was the worst reffing overall that I've ever seen. It was not blatantly one sided, but just horrible excuses to blow the whistle. This had Dave Libbey's stamp of approval I guarantee.

We need less of these wannabe refs trying to be the star of the show. Unacceptable.

Angelo Roncalli
01-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Ditty was a member of the crew. No more needs to be said.

BJZags
01-22-2011, 06:15 AM
While I don't disagree the officiating was pretty bad both ways and disrupted the flow of the game in a major way, Santa Clara found a way to win and the Zags did not. Our boys have to become mentally tough enough to grind out a difficult game like this and win despite the adversity.

JPtheBeasta
01-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Email Print Comments By Jeremy Lundblad, ESPN Stats & InfoHere's an inside look at the numbers behind Thursday's top performances:

1. Santa Clara had lost 10 straight home games to Gonzaga and head coach Kerry Keating was 0-8 overall against the Bulldogs. But the Broncos broke through on Thursday with an 85-71 win courtesy of a career-high 36 points from Kevin Foster. John Bryant matched that total three years ago, but the last Bronco to score more in a game was Steve Ross (38) in 2002. Before that? Steve Nash in 1995. Foster scored 24 in the second half alone, including 11 straight to break the game open late. Only Baylor's LaceDarius Dunn averages more 3s than Foster, and Thursday was no different, as he knocked down six of 14 from long range.

This was an Adam Morrison-like performance down the stretch, with many shots coming from very deep or coming of a screen with a man in his face. Two defenders often keyed on him, leaving others wide open or in position to make the offensive rebound. He didn't shoot very well in the first half, so I feel all of the talk of aweful defense is a somewhat misguided. I can appreciate all the Bobby Knight-ist perfectionists out there, but I don't feel it is necessarily a reasonable expectation from players like Keita and Arop, who have great defensive ability and instincts, but haven't learned how to be great defenders yet.

Where the Zags really lost this was in the first half, when they should have been able to build a healthy lead, and in crunch time when they didn't execute on their own end.

jbslicer
01-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Not a fan of WCC ref Jim Giron.