PDA

View Full Version : What Tulsa is saying

MickMick
06-05-2007, 11:06 AM
About Clarke and Gonzaga (http://tulsa.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1773&tid=94608849&mid=94608849&sid=1115&style=2)

brasszag
06-05-2007, 11:18 AM
About Clarke and Gonzaga (http://tulsa.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1773&tid=94608849&mid=94608849&sid=1115&style=2)

I was sort of amused that GU being a Christian University was implied to be a factor against us in recruiting a... Christian ball player.

Huh?

MickMick
06-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Did you also read that Kansas and the Clarke family have had a bit of a falling out lately? Seems that Kansas was a bit tardy with the offer (if they even offered at all). I think this is going to come down to Oklahoma and Gonzaga. Willie Warren's influence being the wildcard. If Warren heads to Oklahoma, our chances diminish. If Warren heads to Kentucky, our chances increase.

On another note, I saw a comment that the Clarke family actively participated in message boards. If that is the case, we need to get em' over here a bit and show them some Northwest charm :).

sonuvazag
06-05-2007, 11:41 AM
I was sort of amused that GU being a Christian University was implied to be a factor against us in recruiting a... Christian ball player.

Huh?lol.
I have learned that Catholics are exceptional after having the experience of being evangelized to the Christian faith over dinner by friends of my wife after explaining I was Catholic. Rather than re-explain myself I undertook an effort to persuade them to read the Tao Te Ching. No luck.

RenoZag
06-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Did you also read that Kansas and the Clarke family have had a bit of a falling out lately? Seems that Kansas was a bit tardy with the offer (if they even offered at all). I think this is going to come down to Oklahoma and Gonzaga. Willie Warren's influence being the wildcard. If Warren heads to Oklahoma, our chances diminish. If Warren heads to Kentucky, our chances increase.

On another note, I saw a comment that the Clarke family actively participated in message boards. If that is the case, we need to get em' over here a bit and show them some Northwest charm :).

I'm sure they'll be charmed by "The Foo" and the "OCC." ;)

lothar98zag
06-05-2007, 12:05 PM
lol.
I have learned that Catholics are exceptional after having the experience of being evangelized to the Christian faith over dinner by friends of my wife after explaining I was Catholic. Rather than re-explain myself I undertook an effort to persuade them to read the Tao Te Ching. No luck.
Yeah, in some circles, Catholic isn't Christian...

http://media.scout.com/media/forums/emoticons/noidea.gif

sonuvazag
06-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm guessing that's what was meant on Tulsa's board. Nonetheless, if Dan Dickau is who Clarke reminds everyone of, he'd love it here.

pbriz
06-05-2007, 12:22 PM
By just putting a couple of observations together it seems like clarke may be our guy...

1. Haven't heard much about JT for awhile and it seems improbable to get JT over to GU for a visit

2. Like the TU board said, Clarke is a very good fit for Gonzaga

3. Clarke is religious and GU can provide a spiritual education

4. KU is turning into a recruiting stock-piler, and anyone who signs with them must know that by now and may never get their time to shine

5. By no factual info, just a hunch, i feel as if our coaching staff would go for a player like Clarke over Gibbs

sonuvazag
06-05-2007, 12:30 PM
I feel as if our coaching staff would go for a player like Clarke over Gibbs
Right. From what BobZag stated previously Clarke sounds like the clear favorite of Few and Co. and I think they're willing to seem less interested in the other options to emphasize how much they have their sights set on him.

CDC84
06-05-2007, 12:41 PM
To be honest, Clarke would fit in just about anywhere. He's darn near the best pure shooter in this class.

I wouldn't rule out Marquette in this.......

LongIslandZagFan
06-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I like Tulsa and some of their posters have been over here and are very nice people. But the comment about Tulsa and GU being the same?

Tulsa and Gonzaga have been compared through the years as similar programs... non-BCS programs that have had a lot of success in the NCAA tourney.....

If we can't out recruit Gonzaga for a player that lives in our own backyard then Tulsa has dropped below the level that we had achieved circa 2003....

Tulsa and GU have NOT been similar in years. Zags have made the last 9, Tulsa hasn't been since 2003. The fundamental difference is that GU has sustained success. Tulsa has struggled after Bill Self left.

I'd like the same poster to explain, outside of geographic reasons, why a recruit would pick Tulsa over GU.

sullyzag66
06-05-2007, 01:02 PM

http://media.scout.com/media/forums/emoticons/noidea.gif

And, in some circles, Jesuit isn't Catholic. . .:D

Dogtownkid
06-05-2007, 01:40 PM
I just attempted to read a flyer left on the door from a religion which would claim that not only is Catholic not Christian, but we're the pawns of the devil, and the pope is the Antichrist.

The flyer was bemoaning the fact that the majority of the supreme court justices are Catholic and that they have all taken an oath to serve the pope. Who knew?

BobZag
06-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Right. From what BobZag stated previously Clarke sounds like the clear favorite of Few and Co. and I think they're willing to seem less interested in the other options to emphasize how much they have their sights set on him.

That's the feeling I get. But don't count out Gibbs, he's coming on strong. At 6'5" 190 lbs as a senior-to-be, that's Blake Stepp size. Nice. And the kid grew up a Zag fan. In Iowa! Honestly, I'd be thrilled with Clarke AND Gibbs to go with Poling.

SLOZag
06-05-2007, 02:33 PM
... Honestly, I'd be thrilled with Clarke AND Gibbs to go with Poling.

Bob: Is it correct to assume from your post that you believe we will have three schoolies next year? Who do you assume we lose besides Kuso and Pendo? :confused:

MickMick
06-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Bob: Is it correct to assume from your post that you believe we will have three schoolies next year? Who do you assume we lose besides Kuso and Pendo? :confused:

This is a subject almost worthy of it's own thread. And to refine it a bit (and in light of PMAC's departure), what has Gonzaga recruiting evolved into? We went from happily following "diamonds in the rough" through a four year career to being overjoyed at the signing of any 4-star recruit to the eventual wondering of how the scholarships can maintain pace with the rapidly accumulated wealth of talent.

These are the "vices" that small schools (formerly us) describe of and use against the big time programs to get an edge in recruiting. "You sign with that school and there is a chance they will permanently sit you on the bench or worse yet...they send you down the road in two years." No wonder George Mason went to a final four. You want to know the sign of an elite program? It is when the competition is so intense for a spot on the bench, that it has become a recruiting vice.

Gonzaga is in a delicate stage now. They have to balance reputation with consistently fielding a top 10 (not 20) program. If quality players like Ira Brown or Will Foster (I assume they would be the first to go) are sweating scholarships (let alone playing time) because of the 2008 recruiting class, then Mark Few has truly entered a new realm of recruiting. He is in the world of Lute Olsen, Bill Self, and Roy Williams. It wasn't long ago that the Ira Browns and the Will Fosters were the identity of this program. The guys that the major BCS schools pass on, but the unheralded high majors/mid-majors intensely battle for. You put enough Mathew Knights (love his game) together and you can challenge the big boys on a consistent basis. That was Gonzaga.

For now, and for the sake of a solid recruiting reputation, I would simply like to see Gonzaga acquire Gibbs, Clarke, or Theodore. But none at the expense of a player on the current roster or verbally commited in the future.

Edit...I guess I shoulda used Corey Violette or Zach Gorde instead of Knight...they were Zags after all. But then again, Mathew Knight woulda looked great in the Zag uniform!

Another Tulsa link (http://tulsa.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1773&tid=95251188&mid=95251188&sid=1115&style=2)
I stand by my statement of Warren attending Oklahoma can really hurt our chances,