PDA

View Full Version : Confused

Hoopaholic
01-21-2011, 10:12 AM
As I go through all the 'viewpoints" of last nights game I am a little confused as the great majority of the threads, viewpoints ect (estimate maybe 90%0 are geared towards an "offensive" issue for GU as it related to the game.

We scored 71 points we gave UP 85.....

71 points is plenty to win any college game, last nights defense didnt show up as I saw many many times lack of communication on switches, leaving players open on various side screens, not sure of "hedge" vs double on the high ball screens ect......

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN, but I personall would like to see a season chart of which coach prepped and scouted for each of our losses to see if there is an established pattern of clear, articulated defensive schemes being applied....JUST A HUNCH NOT THROWING ANYONE UNDER THE BUS...but as from improvement standpoint I would want to see if there was a patterned issue

zagray
01-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Giacoletti had the scout for the SC game. Daniels has the scout for SF. Expect better results from Daniels scout, he is really really good. But if the Zags get called for 25 to 30 fouls on the road, the result may be similer.

whatazag
01-21-2011, 01:10 PM
The way the game was being called, they were unable to play defense the way they wanted without the whole team fouling out. Should have made adjustments, but that is the way it is.

FlyZag
01-21-2011, 01:27 PM
But if the Zags get called for 25 to 30 fouls on the road, the result may be similer.

???? The fouls were about even 26 - 23 and that was WITH us fouling a bit at the end to put them on the line. Yes the fouls were a factor in the flow of the game... but the home team wasn't getting the "homer" calls. The calls were equally bad on both sides. Using the refs as an excuse... is just that, an excuse. The fact is, we forgot to pack our defense when we were packing our bags to get ready for this road trip.

ZagMan
01-21-2011, 03:34 PM
The way the game was being called, they were unable to play defense the way they wanted without the whole team fouling out. Should have made adjustments, but that is the way it is.

First off I didn't like the refs calls either, but blaming the refs is kinda lame. The boys need to adapt and play smarter ball if that happens. It's not like they shouldn't have known this happens all the time in the WCC. At least the refs are consistently bad.

:starwars:

JPtheBeasta
01-21-2011, 08:01 PM
I was disappointed Rob didn't get the ball more. Their bigs all should have been fouled out because they had to defend Rob by hooking and pulling. The Zags need to take advantage of these tightly called games instead being victimized by them.
As far as the Zags defense, they lost a few cutters because they had to key on Foster. I can't blame college kids for that. That was pretty much the Cleveland Cavs' offense during the Lebron years. Also, when the game got out of hand Foster was hitting contested 3 after contested 3.
The turnovers in key situations and jacking up 3s really killed us at the end. Harris and Gray both missed multiple 3s on "must score" possessions when they should have been attacking the basket and capitalizing on the officiating.

cjm720
01-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Giacoletti had the scout for the SC game. Daniels has the scout for SF.

Huh?

Bogozags
01-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Giacoletti had the scout for the SC game. Daniels has the scout for SF. Expect better results from Daniels scout, he is really really good. But if the Zags get called for 25 to 30 fouls on the road, the result may be similer.

Scouting Smouting....it wasn't scouting that cost us this game but rather our team defense! Foster shot 55% for the game (43% behind the arc), while the rest of the team shot "just" 48%. Their starting five shot 52%! That is an uncanny figure. Where was our defense??

The staff was well aware of Foster's athleticism and prowess as a shooter. We tried everything and Foster still had a career night.

GU has problems with teams that have a super athletic player on their team. Last year Bell lit us up for 30+ and we lost! This year White lit us up for 30+ and we lost!

When we turn the ball over 19 times, we are going to lose to most teams.

Our "best" player had a poor shooting night and turned it over six times and just didn't seem to be on track the whole game.

Playing on the road is tough which means our defense will have to improve for us to win our road games.

MickMick
01-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Offense and defense are interconnected.

Think in terms of possessions.

Every time you turnover the ball, miss a shot, or fail to get an offensive rebound, you are giving away a possession. You are forcing your defense to defend an extra shot.

Imagine a game where your offensive turned the ball over on every possession.
You could play the best defense in the country, allow 5% FG shooting, and still lose by a wide margin. Then....people could still proclaim that the defense sucks because they allowed X amount of points. I made the example extreme to drive the point home.

Foul trouble down the stretch can result in less aggressiveness. It was the defense toward the end of the game that left the lasting impression. The Zags forced 17 turnovers on defense. The Zag offense failed to convert that into an advantage.

The Zags kept them in the game by handing them the ball early, which in turn, allowed for their confidence to grow. By the time the second half rolled around, the crowd was amped and their team fed off of it. Giving them extra possessions in the first half was the fuel that started that fire.

Kevin Foster is a stud. No two ways about it. He has scored 25+ in seven games this year. He was going to get his points, but handing the ball to him an extra 20 times resulted in a season high for him.

DCZag
01-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Mick is 100% right - TOs, giving up offensive boards, failure to finish strong at the rim, and shots early in the offensive set with guys out of position - these are empty possessions that give the other team the abilty to make huge swings. In our league of streaky 3 pt shooters a couple of turnovers can mean a 10 pt swing in a heartbeat.

You've got to value each possession....bring on USF!

gamagin
01-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Offense and defense are interconnected.

Think in terms of possessions.

Every time you turnover the ball, miss a shot, or fail to get an offensive rebound, you are giving away a possession. You are forcing your defense to defend an extra shot.

Imagine a game where your offensive turned the ball over on every possession.
You could play the best defense in the country, allow 5% FG shooting, and still lose by a wide margin. Then....people could still proclaim that the defense sucks because they allowed X amount of points. I made the example extreme to drive the point home.

Foul trouble down the stretch can result in less aggressiveness. It was the defense toward the end of the game that left the lasting impression. The Zags forced 17 turnovers on defense. The Zag offense failed to convert that into an advantage.

The Zags kept them in the game by handing them the ball early, which in turn, allowed for their confidence to grow. By the time the second half rolled around, the crowd was amped and their team fed off of it. Giving them extra possessions in the first half was the fuel that started that fire.

Kevin Foster is a stud. No two ways about it. He has scored 25+ in seven games this year. He was going to get his points, but handing the ball to him an extra 20 times resulted in a season high for him.

This game, to me, more than the past several, involved a fundamental breakdown, a return, to 10 or more games ago, when the role players simply stopped playing their roles.

And the coaches stopped coaching the way I thought they had all (coaches and players) agreed by their actions, to move forward. It was a complete regression. Except for RS.

So my question is did SCU do this, cause this to happen ? Or did we do it to ourselves. I believe it was the latter.

But it only worked against us because we allowed it. we got pulled in to their game, where they are or can become comfortable, and abandoned ours, where we need to be. Even the refs got in to the disruption mode.

We should have adjusted.

This is on everyone on the floor and on the bench to recognize and refuse to let matters slip that far back again. Because everyone, from now on, is going to try and do this or something like it. Until it fails as it should, to even slow us down, much less let it beat us.