PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few

Rio Runner
01-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Let's talk about the elephant in the room.

I love Mark Few, I am glad he is our coach, he is a class act, and I hope he stays for years to come. But this has not been his best year. He has deferred way too much to the upper class men, and he has been unable to settle on an effective rotation. These shortcomings are killing the Zags.

Stockton is superior to Goodson, and everyone seems to see that except Few.

Keita right now is one of our best players, but Few instead gives wasted minutes to Monninghoff and Arop. And Few gives way too many minutes to Gray who, for some reason, thinks he is our best player. He's not. Gray was awful last night. Sit him down when he makes bonehead turnovers.

Harris has been a disappointment this year. Maybe he is still injured. Give more minutes to Olynyk and Dower.

The starting lineup should be:

G- Stockton
G- Gray
F- Keita
F- Olynyk
C- Sacre

And then bring Harris and Dower off the bench. And maybe Arop if you need some energy. But that's it. Stop playing Goodson, Monninghoff, and Carter. Period.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-21-2011, 09:37 AM
I actually like the idea of bringing Harris off the bench. We've got to do something to motivate him, because he just hasn't looked very interested in the game and he's been picking up too many early fouls. Let him sit and see how the officials are calling the game for a few minutes, then come in for some instant scoring punch off of the bench. Coach Few used to do that with freshman Sacre to protect Josh Heytvelt. It worked. Let's try it with Harris.

gozagswoohoo
01-21-2011, 09:40 AM

I love Mark Few, I am glad he is our coach, he is a class act, and I hope he stays for years to come. But this has not been his best year. He has deferred way too much to the upper class men, and he has been unable to settle on an effective rotation. These shortcomings are killing the Zags.

Keita right now is one of our best players, but Few instead gives wasted minutes to Monninghoff and Arop. And Few gives way too many minutes to Gray who, for some reason, thinks he is our best player. He's not. Gray was awful last night. Sit him down when he makes bonehead turnovers.

Harris has been a disappointment this year. Maybe he is still injured. Give more minutes to Olynyk and Dower.

G- Stockton
G- Gray
F- Keita
F- Olynyk
C- Sacre

And then bring Harris and Dower off the bench. And maybe Arop if you need some energy. But that's it. Stop playing Goodson, Monninghoff, and Carter. Period.

OH SNAP.

Okay...where do I start....

Stop playing Meech AND Hoff? First, have you seen all of the games this season? Hoff is a solid bench player, and has given some HUGE minutes. Second, you said Arop is wasted minutes? (hopefully I am interpreting what you said wrong...) Arop....I know it's not a common name, so surely we ARE talking about the same player, right? Arop is one of our most electric players, and is essential to our success.

*sigh*

FuManShoes
01-21-2011, 09:50 AM
More sigh material:

And Few gives way too many minutes to Gray who, for some reason, thinks he is our best player.

I wonder what that reason could be ... Oh, because he is our lone senior who happens to lead the team in scoring, assists and steals, is one of only a few players on the team who can create his own shot, is one of our top defenders and has come close to a triple double in several games.

He had a bad game and was injured in a few others an dperhaps hobbled in this one. It's a toss up whether Sacre or Gray are the Zags' most important/best player but Steven is the most complete player and the fact is for this team to win he needs to be on the floor contributing on both ends and limiting turnovers with timely contributions from other guys.

mdZag23
01-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Go back to your day job, it's the only one of the 3 jobs you think you have that will probably work for you!

Everyone on this board is a Coach, a Referee, and a.....

Let's leave the first two to the professionals and the people getting paid to do it.

One loss on the road, to a guy that got an extremely hot hand, does not make a season.

Zag4Hire
01-21-2011, 09:59 AM

G- Stockton
G- Gray
F- Keita
F- Olynyk
C- Sacre

Like the quote goes, 'More things change, the more they stay the same.' This board goes through typical changes like seasons throughout the year. Let's run down the checklist:

Preseason & Beginning of the Season: Sky high expectations
First Sign of Trouble: Doomed! Changes recommended in player rotation by pointing to isolated stats
First Leap Out of Trouble: Back on track. Complaints about seeding speculation even though Selection Sunday is more than several months away.
Couple Wins At Home: Not taken for granted as daggers come out regarding lack of emotion and noise from crowd particulary aimed at KC
WCC play: Need to blowout teams or everybody is complaining. A loss triggers discussion of Few.
Leading up to Selection Sunday: Rumors swirling about Few leaving for (Blank) University.

Did I miss anything?

ZagMania
01-21-2011, 10:05 AM
And Few gives way too many minutes to Gray who, for some reason, thinks he is our best player. He's not. Gray was awful last night. Sit him down when he makes bonehead turnovers.

Disagree. Not his best last night but this would not be a very good team without Gray. Sacre is playing well, especially lately, but if you look at the start of the season and games like SDSU Sacre was having the same turnover problems and wasn't creating for his teammates like Gray does. Gray is our best player, imo.

gozagswoohoo
01-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Like the quote goes, 'More things change, the more they stay the same.' This board goes through typical changes like seasons throughout the year. Let's run down the checklist:

First Sign of Trouble: Doomed! Changes recommended in player rotation by pointing to isolated stats
First Leap Out of Trouble: Back on track. Complaints about seeding speculation even though Selection Sunday is more than several months away.
Couple Wins At Home: Not taken for granted as daggers come out regarding lack of emotion and noise from crowd particulary aimed at KC
WCC play: Need to blowout teams or everybody is complaining. A loss triggers discussion of Few.
Leading up to Selection Sunday: Rumors swirling about Few leaving for (Blank) University.Did I miss anything?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
That is SO perfect!!

jazzdelmar
01-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Go back to your day job, it's the only one of the 3 jobs you think you have that will probably work for you!

Let's leave the first two to the professionals and the people getting paid to do it.

One loss on the road, to a guy that got an extremely hot hand, does not make a season.

Its really J, M and J and Mark Few, right guys?

Rio, my friend, u will get in real trouble daring to criticize St Mark....5 our fadders and 10 hail marys....

Rio Runner
01-21-2011, 12:16 PM

Leading up to Selection Sunday: Rumors swirling about Few leaving for (Blank) University.

Did I miss anything?

A loss to a team with a 193 RPI rating is described as just "a loss" in a typical season? Really? No way should that happen with the talent that we have on this roster.

I am encouraged to hear that some people are not in a panic. I guarantee the coaching staff is. Here is hoping we beat USF.

LongIslandZagFan
01-21-2011, 12:28 PM
fire them all.

sittingon50
01-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Please add me to the list of not seeing that Stockton is superior to Goodson.

Thanks for your time.

cjm720
01-21-2011, 12:40 PM
A loss to a team with a 193 RPI rating is described as just "a loss" in a typical season? Really? No way should that happen with the talent that we have on this roster.

I am encouraged to hear that some people are not in a panic. I guarantee the coaching staff is. Here is hoping we beat USF.

Check out the last four meetings at SC...we easily could have lost them all with arguably better teams. Away games in a tiny gym w student support can create a lit of havoc against a team, just ask our opponents that came into the old kennel for close to two decades.

jazzdelmar
01-21-2011, 01:05 PM
fire them all.

so the obverse of rational criticism of a man who makes a million a year in the entertainment biz is firing him? no middle ground? too many miles on the LIE, LIZ....go jets!!!!!

djdallaszag
01-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Check out the last four meetings at SC...we easily could have lost them all with arguably better teams. Away games in a tiny gym w student support can create a lit of havoc against a team, just ask our opponents that came into the old kennel for close to two decades.

Agreed. Remember the year Stephen got those late FTs? We had no business winning that game.

BTW, was anyone else creeped out by that kid doing the Y-M-C-A dance? Very intense...

Zagregious
01-21-2011, 02:14 PM
I agree that something is missing at the beginning of games in the starting rotation. We seem to start so flat, no matter the level of competition.

I've been chalking it up to youth, 2x Sophomore, 2x Junior, Senior. Even though many of our match ups have been the same as that or younger.

The bleeding stopped 3 different times when Stockton came in for Meech, but that was just last night. I know Stockton regularly has a positive influence when the matchup works, and it seemed to more for him than Meech last night. Not sure why though, with Meech clearly having more experience, and a resume of decent, consistent play over the 9 game win streak.

I know there are likely dozens of factors for pulling Stockton when we would go on a run, and sticking with Meech when the opponent does the same. Are there other match ups and substitutions that I'm choosing to overlook? Seems like we have some decent analysts on the board, what am I missing?

I've chosen not to jump on Few & Meech as much this year, and I'm guilty of doing it in the past, but somebody's got some splainin' to do.

Rio Runner
01-21-2011, 02:14 PM

Thanks for your time.

Sorry. I meant everyone who is paying attention sees that Stockton is superior.

GoZags
01-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Sorry. I meant everyone who is paying attention sees that Stockton is superior.

I hate it when the guy next to sleepingon50 has to wake him up in the middle of games.

sittingon50
01-21-2011, 02:27 PM
I've been sittin' in K1 & K2 for the last 19 years, RR. I even watch.

Great response though.

Have you got me on the list?

ZagMan
01-21-2011, 03:40 PM

Did I miss anything?

Sounds like you don't like the board... why are you posting on it? Just asking, no offense meant. I thought that's what these boards were for, opinions and basketball chatter?

Angelo Roncalli
01-21-2011, 03:43 PM
I've been sittin' in K1 & K2 for the last 19 years, RR. I even watch.

Great response though.

Have you got me on the list?

This now is at the top of my list for the most ironic post in the history of GUBoards. I'll bring your award to the St. Mary's game, '50.

bigblahla
01-21-2011, 03:55 PM

Thanks for your time.

Other than run faster what has Meech got on David, I'm asking here. ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

tobizag
01-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Its really J, M and J and Mark Few, right guys?

Rio, my friend, u will get in real trouble daring to criticize St Mark....5 our fadders and 10 hail marys....

just speaking for myself here, and not anyone else on this board...

the problem with many people who criticize few is they typically ruin their credibility by saying things like "gray, who for some reason, thinks he's our best player."

there may be valid criticisms that can be leveled against few. i don't think what was stated at the beginning of this thread qualifies.

wouldn't it be nice if we could say "no, coach few is not the best coach who ever lived. yes, coach few is incredibly successful and so must be doing something right. yes, coach few can and does make mistakes. oh, and we should probably give few credit for avoiding major ncaa violations."

ZagLawGrad
01-21-2011, 04:48 PM

Thanks for your time.

Ditto.

McZag
01-21-2011, 05:35 PM

Did I miss anything?

:allhail:

This is quite possibly the best post of the last 12 months. Anyone who has watched the Zags for more than five years understands the lunacy that is the 2010-11 GUBoard.

kclubfounder
01-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Sounds like you don't like the board... why are you posting on it? Just asking, no offense meant. I thought that's what these boards were for, opinions and basketball chatter?

Hey, Mr. 7 posts. You are a hypocrite.

LongIslandZagFan
01-21-2011, 06:02 PM
so the obverse of rational criticism of a man who makes a million a year in the entertainment biz is firing him? no middle ground? too many miles on the LIE, LIZ....go jets!!!!!

He's flawed and can't seem to make a good decision if his life was hanging in the balance... Fire him.

gamagin
01-21-2011, 06:12 PM
He's flawed and can't seem to make a good decision if his life was hanging in the balance... Fire him.

Roo Roo !

2wiceright
01-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Ditto.

"Double-Ditto"....Besides, with this group of point guards this year, I think we've been most successful with the strengths of both (when one gets a little frustrated or is not getting the job done on one end we sub in the other). In other words, point guard by committee gives us the best chance to win. Hopefully we'll have more options next year.

GoZAGsMang
01-21-2011, 07:22 PM
1. Paint the court just like OR
2. Steal all of BYUs chants
3. Play in Red Unis every time we can
4. Change the rotation drastically
5. Chant "you shoot free throws like Raivio" when our opponents shoot free throws

Boom! we win the rest of the games this season

and one more thing............................................

GoZAGsMang

sittingon50
01-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Well, I also believe Meech is a superior defender.

People are frustrated.I get that way too. I just get tired of the CONSTANT criticism of some players. They are what they are. What college team right now starts 5 stars? You have to have pieces of the puzzle. Do I wish Meech was more Dickau or Stepp? Yep. But he's not.

Go through the book and look at some of the guys that have started NCAA Tourney games for the Zags. Eaton, Dench, (Ryan) Floyd, (Mark) Spink, Reason, Brooks, Bankhead, Mallon, PMAC, Kuso, Pendo. All of those guys were limited but at least brought something to the table. Some could score, some defend, some rebound, etc. And one other thing; they all wanted to be Zags.
So did Meech. Good enough for me.

Let's hope the guys rebound tonight & everyone plays well.

kitzbuel
01-22-2011, 04:30 AM
Git a rope.

http://southparkstudios-intl.mtvnimages.com/shared/sps/media/images/312/312_lynch_mobb2.gif?width=400

bigblahla
01-22-2011, 04:52 AM
Well, I also believe Meech is a superior defender.

People are frustrated.I get that way too. I just get tired of the CONSTANT criticism of some players. They are what they are. What college team right now starts 5 stars? You have to have pieces of the puzzle. Do I wish Meech was more Dickau or Stepp? Yep. But he's not.

Go through the book and look at some of the guys that have started NCAA Tourney games for the Zags. Eaton, Dench, (Ryan) Floyd, (Mark) Spink, Reason, Brooks, Bankhead, Mallon, PMAC, Kuso, Pendo. All of those guys were limited but at least brought something to the table. Some could score, some defend, some rebound, etc. And one other thing; they all wanted to be Zags.
So did Meech. Good enough for me.

Let's hope the guys rebound tonight & everyone plays well.

I cheer for Meech and every other Zag on our team and I'll agree with quicker defender but to me David's court awareness evens that out.

David is a better defender than given credit if folks would get off the small stature kick. Two plays he made that weren't good but show his IQ. Two well placed hands in the back of an Scu player helping him out of bounds, unfortunately offering a good view for a whistle blower and his pass to Robert when he thought Rob was cutting to the basket and the ball sailed out of bounds David immediately tried to sell it as a deflection. Both made me smile.

To me David has more assets and less liabilities than Meech.

I'm in the camp of start David and bring Meech off the bench just to see.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Hoopaholic
01-22-2011, 05:59 AM
espousing court awareness just how many assists did stockton have the other night?

Everyone was complaining about turnovers and Goodson had how many of those? I think he had 1 in the first 1 minute, then NONE the rest of the game he played despite handling the ball everytime he was in.

In case you didnt notice, Gray had 4 turnovers during the time period he was RUNNING THE OFFENSE while Stockton was in the game

Offensively we scored 71 points so I am NOT sold it was an offensive "flow" issue....even in the grind it out style of game it was that is alot of points

Second chance points, turnovers by the bigs (Harris hurt us early I thought with his silly fouls and turnovers in the first few minutes of the game) adding in spice of a hot hand was the issue I saw

bigblahla
01-22-2011, 06:18 AM
espousing court awareness just how many assists did stockton have the other night?

Everyone was complaining about turnovers and Goodson had how many of those? I think he had 1 in the first 1 minute, then NONE the rest of the game he played despite handling the ball everytime he was in.

An assist comes from a shot being made no basket no assist.

Meech misses Big Rob so many times in every game, he just can't deliver the ball to the post with consistency, dribble dribble dribble.

I like Meech and recognize his attributes but why not try starting David as my eyes tell me he is the best passer on this team assists or not.

Go!! Zags!!!

Hoopaholic
01-22-2011, 06:54 AM
the same can be said about any player no made basket no assist from a direct pass......

however we are the 29th best team in the COUNTRY in passing the ball

I again say it is not the offensive side of the ball that lost the game the other night

turnovers, rebounding and flow of game due to fouls were the issue

IF you are going to play stockton you can expect more turnovers a game from that slot (goodson had ONE and that was the first minute of the game)

IF you are going to play stockton you can expect less rebounds per game from the PG position

IF you are going to play stockton more you can expect other teams to isolate him in their offensive planning

bigblahla
01-22-2011, 08:16 AM
the same can be said about any player no made basket no assist from a direct pass......

however we are the 29th best team in the COUNTRY in passing the ball

I again say it is not the offensive side of the ball that lost the game the other night

turnovers, rebounding and flow of game due to fouls were the issue

IF you are going to play stockton you can expect more turnovers a game from that slot (goodson had ONE and that was the first minute of the game)

IF you are going to play stockton you can expect less rebounds per game from the PG position

IF you are going to play stockton more you can expect other teams to isolate him in their offensive planning

Nope that's what you expect what I hope for is a more fluid offense but until it happens we won't know.

Look at the stats for the last game and give David Meech's minutes and vice versa, the line will be similar with a more effective facilitator on the floor which should allow Steven to be the shooting guard and more touches for Rob in the paint. That's how I see it.

The age old adage if it aint broke don't fix doesn't apply here. We need to play inside out but if the ball doesn't get to the post in a timely fashion we chuckem up from afar and when we aren't hitting well....

We want the same thing a more efficient cohesive team I say give Stocks the start and a shot up to the first time out.

Go!! Zags!!!

Terrifteacher
01-22-2011, 08:30 PM

Man I could not agree more! There are tons of Few Bashers here! Give me a break! He is still a quality coach!

ZagMan
01-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Hey, Mr. 7 posts. You are a hypocrite.

Hey Mr. 482 posts, you haven't posted much more than me, and didn't you have 7 posts at some time? Get a clue...

:doh:

kclubfounder
01-23-2011, 10:30 AM

This comment is hypocritical, and I think pretty obnoxious for someone who has just joined the party.

Sorry I upset you.

Go Zags!

UberZagFan
01-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Uber agrees. If you are not in the top 20 on the most posts list, you are not allowed to express your opinion. Simple as that.

Baseline
01-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Help me out here people, I'm new to posting here but I have some strong opinions. For example, can I say, "Duke Sucks". If thats not allowed, how many posts to I need to get to to state that?

zagfan08
01-24-2011, 12:09 AM
The coaching staff has not had a great year and they shouldn't necessarily get a free pass with our poor play. My main issue is the recruiting strategy, but the preparation and in game adjustments haven't been great. However, it's difficult for the common fan to critique a coach on player substitutions. The coaching staff sees this team play every day. While I don't agree with everything they've done, the staff knows each player far better than anyone on this board. If they've seen Stockton get burned every day in practice, why would he play him starters minutes?

scott257
01-24-2011, 05:02 AM
As frustrating as this year has been for the fans, can you imagine what the coaching staff has been going through? Each week someone new steps up and plays great and then someone that has been playing well sinks to a new low. They may as well draw straws on who to start as very few of the players are showing any consistency this year. I do agree that benching Harris is something that needs to be done to motivate him. He should be making defenses pay for placing so much pressure on Sacre, instead it is like he is a non-factor.

ZagMan
01-24-2011, 07:06 AM
Uber agrees. If you are not in the top 20 on the most posts list, you are not allowed to express your opinion. Simple as that.

So UberZag did you not express any of your opinions until you got into the top 20? I hope your joking or this board will never get any new users.

Gonzdb8
01-24-2011, 07:18 AM

Did I miss anything?

you did miss something. you forgot to include the times when homers send out posts like these mocking anyone who dares criticize our players or coaches as if this were an internet message board or something. its really neat you were able to put together your insightful genealogy of our message board, but i fail to see how this answers any of the concerns the OP expressed. instead of mocking you might try engaging.

EngineerZag
01-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Grow some thick skin, Gonzdb8. I thought he was 1) accurate, and 2) funny with his "geneaology".

Colbyspapa
01-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Help me out here people, I'm new to posting here but I have some strong opinions. For example, can I say, "Duke Sucks". If thats not allowed, how many posts to I need to get to to state that?

You can say it all you want, but you would be incorrect, regardless of how you feel about the Dukies.... Just sayin

Colbyspapa
01-24-2011, 10:24 AM
So UberZag did you not express any of your opinions until you got into the top 20? I hope your joking or this board will never get any new users.

I think it was very clear he was joking. Uber, you forgot to add your sarcasm emoticon!

jim77
01-24-2011, 11:42 AM

Did I miss anything?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now thats funny right there! accurate too...

Seems the other teams have come to play. Lets give them some credit. Playing with our hair on fire ain't our best ball or to our best strength. We are a big team and need to play like it.....running too much nullifys our size. Go back and watch our 2nd half of the Baylor game.....patient on offense...make the other team play defense for most of the clock. Play some zone on defense..use our size advantage.......SLOW THE GAME DOWN. NO team should be puitting those kind of points on us.....they are getting way to many attempts.....USE our SIZE.

ZagMan
01-24-2011, 03:15 PM
I think it was very clear he was joking. Uber, you forgot to add your sarcasm emoticon!

It's all good... :cheers:

UberZagFan
01-24-2011, 03:41 PM

Uber doesn't know where to find the sarcasm emoticon, so this is the best he can do:

Uber thinks any poster can (and should) express his/her opinions. But credibility is earned over time* and just because someone is smart enough to figure out how to create a user account on a message board does not equate to being able to offer a valid, reasonable opinion.

*If you are interested in earning some credibility quick and easy, check out the Foo (http://www.guboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)

Terrifteacher
02-26-2011, 06:01 AM
One month later.... I dont see or hear any more bashing of Few or the coaches. Based on what the team has done, he could get WCC coach of the year!

Hoopaholic
02-26-2011, 06:06 AM
I am glad the bashers and naysayers had no influence on the coaching staff and kids.....they had a plan, they worked through the plan, the kids had 3 strange games thrown at them and continued to believe in themselves and are now in position to win a piece of the WCC title for the 11 time in a row, second only to the mighty UCLA program under John Wooden.

Rio Runner
02-26-2011, 06:26 AM
I am glad the bashers and naysayers had no influence on the coaching staff and kids.....they had a plan, they worked through the plan, the kids had 3 strange games thrown at them and continued to believe in themselves and are now in position to win a piece of the WCC title for the 11 time in a row, second only to the mighty UCLA program under John Wooden.

Well that's just silly. What exactly was the plan? To sit Dower, Stockton, and Carter until we REALLY needed them?

No, what Coach Few did is that he ADJUSTED. He stopped giving minutes to Arop and Monninghoff. He cut down on Goodson's minutes. And he started giving more minutes to Stockton, Carter, and Dower.

One general criticism of Coach Few is that he defers to his veterans too much. He did that early in the year, and we lost games we should not have lost. Then, when things became more desperate, he started playing two freshman and a JC transfer. And the team played better. For finally making those adjustments, he deserves a ton of credit.

NEC26
02-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Well that's just silly. What exactly was the plan? To sit Dower, Stockton, and Carter until we REALLY needed them?

No, what Coach Few did is that he ADJUSTED. He stopped giving minutes to Arop and Monninghoff. He cut down on Goodson's minutes. And he started giving more minutes to Stockton, Carter, and Dower.

One general criticism of Coach Few is that he defers to his veterans too much. He did that early in the year, and we lost games we should not have lost. Then, when things became more desperate, he started playing two freshman and a JC transfer. And the team played better. For finally making those adjustments, he deserves a ton of credit.

Have to agree that what has really helped is cutting down on the rotation but Carter didn't really start stepping up till lately to make that possible. I think the emergence of Stockton has really helped as well and for me its no longer a Stock/Meech debate because they are BOTH contributing at this point.
I guess what I'm saying is its part Few finally trimming minutes for some, and partly the new guys stepping up(Chicken egg debate). If you can't see that Dower, Carter, and Stockton getting greater minutes is a huge part of the reason for the turnaround I'm not sure what you have been watching.

Hoopaholic
02-26-2011, 06:59 AM
you make an assumption that is simply not there.

Select minutes and select development to ensure the mental mindset was proper was critical in the early part of the year. To provide for select minutes to allow the continued development is a critical component of a coaching plan.
The players developed at their own pace. Several of the players were not ready the first half of the year to play significant minutes and it showed, he got more and more comfortable, and his role expanded.
In addition we had won 9 games in a row and had 3 games that were just plain bizzare endings.

you obviously think that Coach Few simply threw in the towel and went with different players suddenly....I disagree I saw a patterned player development and 3 kids took advantage of it and 2 have not as of yet.

If you dont think those things are discussed in private coaching meetings you are foolhardy. THAT is called planning. Each game the staff discusses matchups, player development, how to maximize strengths how to minimize weakness.....ALL PART OF PLANNING AND PREPARATION both short term (immediate game plan ) as well as mid long term (season) as well as long term (Health of the program)

To think those critical components are NOT part of a plan simply amazes me

NEC26
02-26-2011, 07:06 AM
you make an assumption that is simply not there.

Select minutes and select development to ensure the mental mindset was proper was critical in the early part of the year. To provide for select minutes to allow the continued development is a critical component of a coaching plan.
The players developed at their own pace. Several of the players were not ready the first half of the year to play significant minutes and it showed, he got more and more comfortable, and his role expanded.
In addition we had won 9 games in a row and had 3 games that were just plain bizzare endings.

you obviously think that Coach Few simply threw in the towel and went with different players suddenly....I disagree I saw a patterned player development and 3 kids took advantage of it and 2 have not as of yet.

If you dont think those things are discussed in private coaching meetings you are foolhardy. THAT is called planning. Each game the staff discusses matchups, player development, how to maximize strengths how to minimize weakness.....ALL PART OF PLANNING AND PREPARATION both short term (immediate game plan ) as well as mid long term (season) as well as long term (Health of the program)

To think those critical components are NOT part of a plan simply amazes me

Not sure if your talking to me or not but thats pretty much my point as well. Few needed them to step up and improve and they did(and that was part of there preparation). Your post is pretty arrogant by the way and I am more than aware the coaches discuss these things and prepare/develop players throughout the year. Reasonable minds can disagree wether certain players could have gotten more minutes earlier.

Hoopaholic
02-26-2011, 07:11 AM
nope directed at RIo who stated my statement that Coaching staff had a plan was "silly" and that we got "desparate"

I disagree with the position. I think the staff had a plan and certain kids started taking advantage of that plan.....

We can agree to disagree...I think there was a plan in place and certain kids took advantage and excelled......Rio seems to think "when it got more desperate" staff simply adjusted....

we can agree to disagree on that differing opinion

Rio Runner
02-26-2011, 07:27 AM
nope directed at RIo who stated my statement that Coaching staff had a plan was "silly" and that we got "desparate"

I disagree with the position. I think the staff had a plan and certain kids started taking advantage of that plan.....

We can agree to disagree...I think there was a plan in place and certain kids took advantage and excelled......Rio seems to think "when it got more desperate" staff simply adjusted....

we can agree to disagree on that differing opinion

Sorry, I should not have called your opinion silly. I do agree that Carter has developed. There was very little in his early play that indicated (at least to me) that he would be the player he is now.

But Dower, per minute, has been productive all year long. He simply is getting more playing time now. And Goodson was terrible early on. Few finally had to get something out of the point guard spot, and so he went to Stockton. Ironically, now that Goodson's minutes have been cut back, he actually seems to be contributing more.

Hoopaholic
02-26-2011, 07:46 AM
can agree to disagree

Dont think Goodson was "terrible"

We actually are getting less offensive production as a team with the current splitting of duties than what we were getting when the minutes were 25-10

But we continue to win so all is good for me

zag67
02-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Rio, also about Dower. Yes Dower is a scoring machine, but he has also been a liability at the defesnive end in many games. Also he is best at center (close to the basket) and that is where Sacre plays. So do you want to keep Robert on the bench? I do not think so.

Now I would like to add that Dower's defense has improved and this gives the coaches a chance to split the time and give robert more rests. Also they have tried Harris at the 3, but he is more comfortable close to the basket and making his moves against bigger players. This gives him a chance to use his speed. This means that Dower would put one of those two on the bench. Now when the NCAA starts and we play against some teams with multiple big men, the coaching plans may change and Dower will get more minutes. And by the way he had a great game the other day.

Zagsker
02-26-2011, 08:49 AM

good post and agree.....the bolded is particularly spot on