PDA

View Full Version : Green Light, Red Light!

77Zag
01-21-2011, 09:28 AM
I have finally digested the game of last eve. Having seen the battle first hand in the home of Broncos. I appeared to me it was more of WWF or Rugby game than a quality basketball game. It's what you get playing in Broncoville.

Anyway, my point -- it seemed to me that every time we had any inkling of momentum; a foul was called; a held ball was called, etc. Green light, red light.
I'm not going to say the refs were the total factor, but it was pathetic. Again it's what you get playing in Broncoville. One ref in particular, the stocky short one (being politically correct) was on his whistle every time we did something positive. Do they keep stats on how many calls each ref has? It would be interesting for sure.

Iím hoping the TV viewers can explain the video review by the terrible ref on the late foul call right in front of the GU bench Ė I think it was on SG, but it was chaotic. It occurred late to mid second half. Help me understand what the ref was reviewing? We were under the impression he may have been looking to reverse the call, but no.

It was just a school yard brawl with the home court a huge advantage. Iím glad the Broncos got to storm the court? Wow, canít remember the last time if any the Zags have stormed the court. It may be just enough to keep KK employed; the talk was he is history.

Letís get over it and focus on USF Ė much work to do. At a minimum, Las Vegas will be fun. It will likely be a league tournament with some substantial meaning for the Zags!

zagporvida
01-21-2011, 09:39 AM
In reference to the review of the call on question. The announcers said they were reviewing to see if elbows were thrown above the neck, from the review it was to the chest so no intentional was called.

Zag4Hire
01-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Do they keep stats on how many calls each ref has? It would be interesting for sure.

Ken Ditty http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/ken-ditty

Rick Batsell http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/rick-batsell

Jim Giron http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/jim-giron

Hoopaholic
01-21-2011, 09:56 AM
the only review I recall was the "unique" call against Keita setting the backscreen and SMC player flopped. It appeared to me they "thought" there may be an elbow to the head of course there wasnt and they got a good review of their BLOWN call as Keita was in perfect position and didnt move

mdZag23
01-21-2011, 09:59 AM
The game was called waaaaay to close! Watch a Big East game and you wouldn't see that many ticky tack fouls called.

This, IMO, hurts us every year when we get to the tourney. The West Coast refereeing crews do not let the kids play. I was sick of hearing myself say, seriously, they called that a foul!

There were 50 fouls called in that game! Are you kidding me?? That's a foul every 50 seconds!!

zagzilla
01-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Review was for the foul called on Keita when SCU player flopped. At least they didn't add insult to injury by calling it a flagrant.

The game was not physical enough to warrant 50 fouls being called. Ruined the flow and rhythm.

No wonder WCC teams enter the dance "soft". That's the way they call the games in conference and it's hard to flip the switch and adapt to hard nosed tourney brawls.

Zags definitely getting more physical on D which is the right thing to do. Those games against Tennessee and Memphis taught us that.

The WCC needs to let teams play if it wants to become more competitive nationally.

ZZ

77Zag
01-21-2011, 10:06 AM
The game was called waaaaay to close! Watch a Big East game and you wouldn't see that many ticky tack fouls called.

This, IMO, hurts us every year when we get to the tourney. The West Coast refereeing crews do not let the kids play. I was sick of hearing myself say, seriously, they called that a foul!

There were 50 fouls called in that game! Are you kidding me?? That's a foul every 50 seconds!!

Bingo -- my point. Every time we tried to make a run the game was held up by the zebras. Seemed to me it was that one ref in particular.

23dpg
01-21-2011, 10:07 AM

+1

I think the refs blew the whistle every 12 seconds just to make sure they were working correctly.

But in no way did the refs cost us the game. Gonzaga should have been able to adjust and they did not.

bballbeachbum
01-21-2011, 10:12 AM
77Zag, I saw what you saw, and so did the SCU faithful I was sitting next to at the game, to their credit. It's not like it was difficult to see.

this is not an excuse, just an observation

77Zag
01-21-2011, 10:23 AM
77Zag, I saw what you saw, and so did the SCU faithful I was sitting next to at the game, to their credit. It's not like it was difficult to see.

this is not an excuse, just an observation

To be clear -- I'm not making the refs an excuse. It was a poorly managed game by the refs and poorly played by the Zags. We have to be bigger than the intangibles, i.e. the crowd and the zebras.

bballbeachbum
01-21-2011, 10:29 AM
To be clear -- I'm not making the refs an excuse. It was a poorly managed game by the refs and poorly played by the Zags. We have to be bigger than the intangibles, i.e. the crowd and the zebras.

agree. man, Saturday is big.

FuManShoes
01-21-2011, 10:40 AM

This. Calling games this close is stupid. It makes games unwatchable. It hurts teams come tournament time. It hurts players' development. I watched the UW-Arizona game which was just as if not more physical and heated: 43 fouls called in that one compared to 49 in the GU-SC game. 54 FTs attempted vs 64.

NotoriousZ
01-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Every damn year...WCC refs.

:enraged:

zagray
01-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Three of our first four league games our opponets shot over 51 percent from the floor and the Zags lead the WCC in fouls per game. Three of the first four games at home. If the Zags play D like they did against Marq, Baylor, XUA, the Zags would have all five starters foul out. If the Zags continue to ave 26 fouls on the road and still give up over 51 percent shooting in the process we really are doomed!

DixieZag
01-21-2011, 11:33 AM
That is a huge point. The thinking going into conference was that this team would win games with defense, the same defense that we played against X, O St. and WF - - but we cannot play that sort of defense on the road in the WCC. It didn't matter last night b/c we turned it over 20 some times and we don't deserve to beat anyone turning it over that often.

But lets say we play much better against USF, turning it over less and shooting better, but we still have 3 players with 3 fouls at half. USF is in the bonus at the 14 minute mark, as SCU was - then what? Then the refs have taken away the Zags' strength.

I would be embarrassed to have been a member of that crew last night - it was like a WWF game, and yet it was SCU in the bonus at the 14 minute mark, not GU. Turned out not to matter b/c Foster killed us, but what if it had come right down to the end? We face the same situation on Saturday, only with a better team.

JPtheBeasta
01-21-2011, 12:01 PM
What a weird game. The players looked tentative, and I think it was due, in part, to the fouls. Foster was great at the end and GU just needed to be average at the end to win, but they weren't- too many lost opportunities and lack of execution from 5 minutes or so left. This happens sometimes and I'm not losing much sleep over it. I applaud SCU for playing a good game; I guess they deserve to win a game every ten years or so.

Adding to the weirdness- how many times did a GU player slip on the floor? Meech and Gray both did several times. How many other times did we just lose the handle on the basketball without provocation? The only thing I can think is that the concentration was lacking, and this could be owing to the duress caused by the home crowd, or fatigue. I think this loss was a perfect storm of tight (read: questionable) officiating, poor mental toughness, hot shooting by an excellent opposing player, and that extra coat of Turtle wax they applied to the court before the game.

Ok, that last part was sarcastic, but the JFK conspiracy guy in me is trying to get out.

zagzilla
01-21-2011, 12:19 PM
They all played on the same floor. No excuse there

Few needs to issue some old-school NFL Stick-um (a la Lester Hayes) to help those guys hang on to the damned ball. Sheesh!

ZZ

rijman
01-21-2011, 01:41 PM
The refs did affect the flow of the game, too many fouls. At one point I thought we might foul out 3 players.

As for the end of the game, 3 points in the final 4 minutes won't get it done in a close game where the opponent is draining from everywhere. How many times in recent years have the Zags run into a guy who gets hot and drains everything in a career game? Very frustrating at the end of the game when the Zags are turning it over and missing their shots. They needed to FINISH STRONG! and they did the exact opposite.

This team is inconsistent which is good and bad. I hope the good Zag team shows up for the St. Mary's game and takes them down to put us back on track.